In for next week against Rooboys - Four at least

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

In for next week against Rooboys - Four at least

Hayes in next week - play out of the goal square - just stay there as a marking forward
Campbell in - play ruck and free up Marshall to play in the forward line
Higgins in
Bytel in - done the hard yards at Sandringham and deserves a spot.

I will leave it to your imagination as to who should be managed/dropped, etc. But I think in some cases at least it should be obvious.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: In for next week against Rooboys - Four at least

Would rather Heath ahead of Campbell

Clark ahead of Bytel

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Killa
Club Player

Adds to our contest, spread and ball usage, hey?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 11:50am Adds to our contest, spread and ball usage, hey?
It negates the need for 7 and Fox to use slow mo in their presentation, although they have to put on extra staff to record the clanger stats.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 11:50am Would rather Heath ahead of Campbell

Clark ahead of Bytel
Okay, Heath then.

Clark played yesterday, so I didn't include him. Of course, he stays in. But Bytel comes in too.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Don't see Bytel solving the issues we have, he has the same problem- ball use and speed.

Higgins, Hayes and Heath all coming into the side allows Owens to spend more time on the ball meaning all of the below offer more to our onball options than Bytel.

Steele
Crouch
Clark
Jones
Owens
Windhager
Sinclair

Simply not room for Bytel unless he is a better option than one of the above in the side imo.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:09pm Don't see Bytel solving the issues we have, he has the same problem- ball use and speed.

Higgins, Hayes and Heath all coming into the side allows Owens to spend more time on the ball meaning all of the below offer more to our onball options than Bytel.

Steele
Crouch
Clark
Jones
Owens
Windhager
Sinclair

Simply not room for Bytel unless he is a better option than one of the above in the side imo.
Has to be a better option for a number of players in a side that has lost 6 of its last 8 games FFS.

It's time for the coach to make a statement that he won't tolerate substandard play and that he can change from simply playing all his favorite players.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Need these four Ins

In

Determination
Ability to hit targets
Thought process going inside 50
Effort

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Free up Marshall to play forward?

What is that supposed to mean?

He’s an A Grade ruckman and C Grade forward

Why the hell would you do that?!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

And replacing him in the ruck with a D Grade ruckman

Why on earth would you do that

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:27pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:09pm Don't see Bytel solving the issues we have, he has the same problem- ball use and speed.

Steele
Crouch
Clark
Jones
Owens
Windhager
Sinclair

Has to be a better option for a number of players in a side that has lost 6 of its last 8 games FFS.

It's time for the coach to make a statement that he won't tolerate substandard play and that he can change from simply playing all his favorite players.

The sad reality of our list is he isn't.

I would also make 4 changes to the side- just wouldn't bring Bytel in.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 11:50am Would rather Heath ahead of Campbell

Clark ahead of Bytel
Amen 🙏

Bytel = dud

Campbell = dud x2

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Steele
Crouch
Clark
Jones
Owens
Windhager
Sinclair

What I would love to see is Owens and Phillipou rotating with each other as the big bodied mid like the Bont / Fyfe type and the other as the third tall in the forward line.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:32pm Free up Marshall to play forward?

What is that supposed to mean?

He’s an A Grade ruckman and C Grade forward

Why the hell would you do that?!
Because our forward line is sh1t and can't even score against the likes of the Suns and the Eagles, and we have to try something?

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Does anybody know who played in the scratch match yesterday, against Casey and how they went? Did Hayes get good game time?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

2 f****** goals in a half of footy against a third rate side. C'mon for f**** sake.

Changes have to be made.

Give Bytel a chance to shine. That wont happen though as it would show the coaches up for their lack of daring.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 3:44pm 2 f****** goals in a half of footy against a third rate side. C'mon for f**** sake.

Changes have to be made.

Give Bytel a chance to shine. That wont happen though as it would show the coaches up for their lack of daring.
No one has argued that 2 goals in a half is unacceptable- including the coaches.

No one has argued that changes need to be made- including the coaches.

Many (including me) still think Bytel can make it, the only disagreement with your posts is that he should be in next week.

Not sure how it shows up the coaches for a lack of dare when he has had more chances (multiple) than other options who could come in such as Heath, Connolly etc.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 4:21pm
saynta wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 3:44pm 2 f****** goals in a half of footy against a third rate side. C'mon for f**** sake.

Changes have to be made.

No one has argued that 2 goals in a half is unacceptable- including the coaches.

Many (including me) still think Bytel can make it, the only disagreement with your posts is that he should be in next week.

Not sure how it shows up the coaches for a lack of dare when he has had more chances (multiple) than other options who could come in such as Heath, Connolly etc.
Wrong, lyon himself said so. Go and watch his press conference if you can stand the rubbish being said.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 4:36pm

Changes have to be made.

Wrong, lyon himself said so. Go and watch his press conference if you can stand the rubbish being said.
Forgive me- when I said no one has argued. I meant no one has argued with your post when it comes to those points.

The only argument you're getting with your contention is that Bytel should be in this week.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 5:29pm
saynta wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 4:36pm

Changes have to be made.

Forgive me- when I said no one has argued. I meant no one has argued with your post when it comes to those points.

The only argument you're getting with your contention is that Bytel should be in this week.
No worries mate. We are all a bit flat after that inept performance.

I am not one to normally criticise the players or saints officials but enough is enough

If the coach has really run up the white flag as he appears to have done, what is the Harm in giving Bytel, Campbell and Highmore a go. They can't do any worse than half the current list of overpaid and under performing players

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

I didn't interpret his press conference as giving up.

I saw it as not hiding from the feedback the games over the last month have given us.

Bytel, Highmore, Campbell aren't the long or short term solutions.

Not sure why we would play them ahead of

Heath, Clark, Higgins, Hayes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am not sure about Heath at this stage, but I would definitely play Highmore ahead of Howard. Bytel ahead of a clearly injured duo of Jones and Wood. And Campbell/Hayes on the bench. Take your pick.

Yes I would also play Higgins ahead of Peris. Clark is already in the side.

Killa
Club Player

From what I could ascertain yesterday, Wilkie had King (conceding 14cms and 10kgs, King with 12 disposals and 3 marks), Howard had Casbault (size match up and Casbault kept to 3 disposals and 0 marks) and Battle had Lukosius (size match up and Lukosius with 4 goals from 10 disposals and 6 marks)

So why the knock on Howard?

What we do need is assistance for King (forward), Howard (back) and Marshall (Ruck)

Marshall had 19 disposals, 4 marks and 26 hit outs.

Witts, who I would put was THE point of difference feeding his mids as he did from the contests, had 15 possessions, 2 marks and 39 hit outs.

In secondary ruck roles, Casbault had 10 hit outs

Apart from Marshall, no St Kilda player recorded a hit out.

So GCS doubled our hit outs, and that was game, set and match.

Against a side which is very dangerous on their own patch (or in Darwin) with the number of high end Draft Picks they have had.

The fact that their side, with the advantages it has had from high end Draft picks - noting those who have left and for where resulting in further high end Draft picks - is not making a larger footprint on the competition has seen them sack their Coach.

If you look down the stats as indicative, Atkins had 32 and 2 goals, Ainsworth 21 and a goal, Anderson 25 and a goal, Flanders 33, Miller 25, Rowell 22 .

Fed by Wicks - and that was the game.

But stick to bashing Howard.

Simply, pending Adams and Van Es, Howard is the only tall option we have in defence.

Highmore is 193, the same size as Battle who is undersized for a key defender.

Highmore in not a replacement for Howard, never has been and never will be.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 7:38pm I am not sure about Heath at this stage, but I would definitely play Highmore ahead of Howard. Bytel ahead of a clearly injured duo of Jones and Wood. And Campbell/Hayes on the bench. Take your pick.

Yes I would also play Higgins ahead of Peris. Clark is already in the side.
So you want exploration but you want to go back to Highmore and Bytel who have both been tried before?

Howard who can be frustrating at times is more than doing his job.

Wood would be in the top 10 of our b&f

Jones just returning from injury (although I would move him to sub)

Agree re Higgins ahead of Peris but Peris actually supports the counter argument to your criticism of Lyon- the one about him not exploring the list.

I hope we keep Bytel, I really do, I also don't think he needs more AFL games this year to assess where he is at- which means he only gets in the side if he is giving us a better chance of winning.

Saints58
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:27pm

Steele
Crouch
Clark
Jones
Owens
Windhager
Sinclair

Would love that to happen but don't think it will.