Growing up and the Saints coach's press conference

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Growing up and the Saints coach's press conference

When you were growing up, if you were told by your dad or your teachers that you were no good and would never amount to anything, did you;

A) Go out of your way to prove him/them wrong, or

B) Accept that he/they are right and just give up.

I suspect that the saints players, or at least some of them chose option B).

Quote from presser:

"I just feel when our top flight (stars) aren't up and going there is not enough quality to step up and take the load off them, as harsh as that might seem."

I just read that quote from our mesiah out to my partner. She was just as unimpressed as I was.

As my mate said this morning, "Your coach has been really negative lately."

That negativity has obviously flowed on to the players.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Growing up and the Saints coach's press conference

There is a level of irony in the thread title I appreciate

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 6:16pm There is a level of irony in the thread title I appreciate
:twisted:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Is this thread related to AFL professional footballers ?

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 6:07pm When you were growing up, if you were told by your dad or your teachers that you were no good and would never amount to anything, did you;

Quote from presser:

"I just feel when our top flight (stars) aren't up and going there is not enough quality to step up and take the load off them, as harsh as that might seem."

I just read that quote from our mesiah out to my partner. She was just as unimpressed as I was.

For the life of me I can't see anything offensive or negative in that quote from Lyon.

He is simply stating the bleeding obvious and you'd have to be blind to the reality of the lack of depth in class on the list not to acknowledge that saynta.

What's the point of gilding the lily, it' as plain as daylight and I'd really be surprised if any player would find that offensive, they are professional sportsmen, not kids starting out in life.....

This reminds me of when I was at Dandenong High and failed my first attempt at Intermediate in 1955 and had to repeat in 1956. Did I feel humiliated? Not the least because I was only interested in having a good time; was aware that I'd been lazy, had not applied myself to do the work, got distracted by girls and sport (unsuccessful with girls :cry: but did alright in sport) and realised I had to reform. Got a massive blast from the old man when I brought my report card home too!

Did it scar me for life? Not a bit, and that's what's wrong with today's youth and society where no-one ever fails and you're not allowed to discipline kids lest you mortally damage their sense of self esteem. It's even got to he ludicrous situation where in kids team sports they don't keep scores lest they feel dejected if they lose.

Please forgive my rant but it feels good to get it off my chest.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

At least it’s not a cut and paste job or just mindless parroting of the coach.

🥱

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The key is in your second last paragraph unfortunately.

But a friend of mine said to me this morning. " Lyon burnt you guys last time and should never have been reappointed. The saints have only themselves to blame."

I don't think you will find much sympathy for the saints outside of Moorabbin.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

sympathy from outside of moorabbin i care very little about, i'm just glad we have a good coach.
I am so confident RTB will improve this team so I'm on board for the ride and will cop the negativity on here surrounding him with a grain of salt.

I'm a supporter.

We will Rise from the Ashes.

ctqs
Club Player

What's wrong with putting players on notice?

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 3:39pm What's wrong with putting players on notice?
There's a difference between 'putting players on notice' and outright declaring they're not up to the quality required.

Saying 'there's not enough quality' is tainting some of the players and once again, it's not his problem when it comes to team performance. It's not HIS fault that we got pantsed.

For a select few he thinks that they are 'stars'. It's like he has blinkers on for the 'stars' but the rest of the list they're not worthy of playing AFL.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 3:56pm
There's a difference between 'putting players on notice' and outright declaring they're not up to the quality required.

Saying 'there's not enough quality' is tainting some of the players and once again, it's not his problem when it comes to team performance. It's not HIS fault that we got pantsed.

For a select few he thinks that they are 'stars'. It's like he has blinkers on for the 'stars' but the rest of the list they're not worthy of playing AFL.
Well said. At least you get it. 8-) :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 3:31pm sympathy from outside of moorabbin i care very little about, i'm just glad we have a good coach.
I am so confident RTB will improve this team so I'm on board for the ride and will cop the negativity on here surrounding him with a grain of salt.

I'm a supporter.

I gave been a supporter for over 70 years and have seen both good and crap coaches. The really good ones win premierships, but we have had only one of those.

The current one has yet to prove he is anything above the ordinary, IMHFO, that is.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 4:14pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 3:31pm sympathy from outside of moorabbin i care very little about, i'm just glad we have a good coach.

I'm a supporter.

I gave been a supporter for over 70 years and have seen both good and crap coaches. The really good ones win premierships, but we have had only one of those.

The current one has yet to prove he is anything above the ordinary, IMHFO, that is.
yep really good ones win premierships so I guess you haven't been happy with 99% of our coaches? So as you said let's allow the one we have to prove himself

RTB fanboy :)

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Some people and supporters are happy to continue on in mediocrity, others demand more.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 4:27pm

I'm a supporter.

yep really good ones win premierships so I guess you haven't been happy with 99% of our coaches? So as you said let's allow the one we have to prove himself

He has already had a couple of chances but I for one would be happy to see just one cup.

Maybe then I will be a fan.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 2:26pm At least it’s not a cut and paste job or just mindless parroting of the coach.

🥱
No but might better if it was…. it might have had some semblance of sense?

I guess some arent cut out for cut and paste and prefer to stalk and comment on other posters for fear of having to generate an opinion? 😏

Keep hanging with your mates 🤣

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 4:33pm Some people and supporters are happy to continue on in mediocrity, others demand more.
Spot Dud
The ones demanding more are ok for Lyon to put this list on notice
The ones pining for mediocrity are looking for easy excuses …18 games in…sack the coach
Hilarious stuff 😂

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Spot on 100%
Sone are a little soft me thinks…”.tewible Ross….how dare he put our players who’ve let us down for 10 years and sacked 2 coaches on notice for poor performance…he must go!”
Bedwetters.
Anyway good to see majority in this thread (which has gone down like a lead balloon) get it ….the small minority…ah they’ll jump on board next lot of wins….you heard boo from them rounds 1-6
Typical fair weather brigade

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I'm a supporter.

Hear hear Firey - awesome post 👏

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 4:43pm

I'm a supporter.

He has already had a couple of chances but I for one would be happy to see just one cup.

Hard to please :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 7:14pm
saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 4:43pm

I'm a supporter.

Hard to please :wink:
yep, but conditioned to disappointment as a long suffering supporter. :(

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 5:18pm
Spot on 100%
Sone are a little soft me thinks…”.tewible Ross….how dare he put our players who’ve let us down for 10 years and sacked 2 coaches on notice for poor performance…he must go!”
Bedwetters.
Anyway good to see majority in this thread (which has gone down like a lead balloon) get it ….the small minority…ah they’ll jump on board next lot of wins….you heard boo from them rounds 1-6
Your continual insults and name calling to the realists amongst us is like water off a duck's back.

Those supporters now expressing disquiet about our current coach are not in a small minority as claimed by you. Go have a look at facebook and other social media outlets. You will discover that your views are in the minority, thankfully.

Have a bex and a good lie down and give the insults a rest

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 7:39pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 5:18pm
Spot on 100%
Bedwetters.
Your continual insults and name calling to the realists amongst us is like water off a duck's back.

Those supporters now expressing disquiet about our current coach are not in a small minority as claimed by you. Go have a look at facebook and other social media outlets. You will discover that your views are in the minority, thankfully.

Have a bex and a good lie down and give the insults a rest
Who no did I insult?
Mane 1 bedwetter i mentioned?
I don’t get my opinions off Facebook

“Yeah….nah””
saintkev
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 18 Jul 2023 1:23pm
saynta wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 6:07pm When you were growing up, if you were told by your dad or your teachers that you were no good and would never amount to anything, did you;

Quote from presser:

For the life of me I can't see anything offensive or negative in that quote from Lyon.

He is simply stating the bleeding obvious and you'd have to be blind to the reality of the lack of depth in class on the list not to acknowledge that saynta.

What's the point of gilding the lily, it' as plain as daylight and I'd really be surprised if any player would find that offensive, they are professional sportsmen, not kids starting out in life.....

This reminds me of when I was at Dandenong High and failed my first attempt at Intermediate in 1955 and had to repeat in 1956. Did I feel humiliated? Not the least because I was only interested in having a good time; was aware that I'd been lazy, had not applied myself to do the work, got distracted by girls and sport (unsuccessful with girls :cry: but did alright in sport) and realised I had to reform. Got a massive blast from the old man when I brought my report card home too!

Did it scar me for life? Not a bit, and that's what's wrong with today's youth and society where no-one ever fails and you're not allowed to discipline kids lest you mortally damage their sense of self esteem. It's even got to he ludicrous situation where in kids team sports they don't keep scores lest they feel dejected if they lose.

Please forgive my rant but it feels good to get it off my chest.....

Tip-toeing around the fragile egos of overpaid sportspeople has become par for the course. Some players need a Ken Sheldon blast like the one that he gave Devenport. It worked for Devenport who put in a blinder next quarter. There are some coasting players who need a metaphorical kick up the clacker.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i'm not sure taking the 'crowd' as your teacher is a very smart idea

hiding away in the middle of a mob
coz they've no balls to put on the line

anyways

yay farcebook 'n twatter

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.