The worst umpiring decision ever

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

The worst umpiring decision ever

The handball to Cameron over the boundary line with 3 or 4 umpires within 20 metres

Diabolical.

With so much riding on all games we get given that

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
SaintJohn1956
Club Player

Re: The worst umpiring decision ever

Exactly - not to mention the mark a metre over the boundary and can we get rid of the kick travel 15 metres or else enforce it properly.

Saint John
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

You became a Cats fan now?
Jumped off the Saints already

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 12:58am You became a Cats fan now?
Jumped off the Saints already
I think the ‘we’ was the football public

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Whenever it's clear cut like those two instances it sharply highlights the very poor standard of umpiring. Both indisputable. But most decisions have an element of doubt about what an umpire might have thought and umps get the benefit. AFL has an elephant in its well appointed room that it can't mention because it hasn't a clue what to do about it.

footynut
Club Player

The AFL says all goals get reviewed, so the bigger question is Why didn't Cameron's goal get recalled? As it was clearly out of bounds

footynut
Club Player

The AFL says all goals get reviewed, so the bigger question is Why didn't Cameron's goal get recalled? As it was clearly out of bounds

footynut
Club Player

King Max
Club Player

The non 50 to Marshall last week was worse.

Carlton guy just threw the ball in a random direction after the whistle blew. All four umpires should have seen it, but apparently nobody did.

King Max
Club Player

footynut wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 9:06am The AFL says all goals get reviewed, so the bigger question is Why didn't Cameron's goal get recalled? As it was clearly out of bounds
They only review the actual kick, not what led up to it.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

But I thought Collingwood were the most ‘looked after’ team in the AFL?!?

Don’t tell me the umpiring conspiracy whingers on here are wrong again?! :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:07am But I thought Collingwood were the most ‘looked after’ team in the AFL?!?

Seriously - is that what you focus on - not that the umpires make mistakes and in a so called professional sport are not worth a pinch of the previously mentioned elephant crap

If say your accountant did not claim for mileage on the tax return for a taxi driver would you accept that and just say that there is no conspiracy against Taxi drivers????

Just cop the fact that the Umpires SHOULD be professional and SHOULD be held to answer and SHOULD have a public discussion about how f@rking bad they are in a Billion dollar industry.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Far be it for Dudley to admit that the maggots got it horribly wrong...not once but twice, gifting the pussies two goals...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Nope. it was that goal umpire in 09

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 11:14am Nope. it was that goal umpire in 09
Yeah, I could hear it hitting the post from where I was sitting. :cry: :cry: :cry:

We wont mention who handballed the ball to that cross eyed cant either.

CarlD
Club Player

Also the decision to pay a mark to a Geelong player after it had bounced off the hands of one of his teammates in front of him .... I suppose AFL is a bit like cricket - the ball didn't touch the ground. :?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:11am
The_Dud wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 10:07am But I thought Collingwood were the most ‘looked after’ team in the AFL?!?

Seriously - is that what you focus on - not that the umpires make mistakes and in a so called professional sport are not worth a pinch of the previously mentioned elephant crap

If say your accountant did not claim for mileage on the tax return for a taxi driver would you accept that and just say that there is no conspiracy against Taxi drivers????

Just cop the fact that the Umpires SHOULD be professional and SHOULD be held to answer and SHOULD have a public discussion about how f@rking bad they are in a Billion dollar industry.
I’m confused, I thought the umpires never make mistakes and everything they do is deliberate and calculated??

That’s what I keep getting told by the usuals every week 🤷‍♂️ You guys really need to make up your mind.

IMO they make mistakes all the time, like players, and human beings….

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Thanks for bringing that up Tony, you are the naming rights sponsor for tonight's nightmare

Last night I dreamt I was an aggrieved Magpie cheeer squad member. I woke at 3:30 AM looking for the jar containing my teeth. The panic attack subsided once I remembered I was a Saints supporter and howling decisions made by green-fluro maggots are not solely the fate of St Kilda. I think this horrendous dream was bought about by screaming at the TV in disbelief at seeing two of the worst umpiring (non) decisions I have ever seen. All of this happened with multiple umpires, sans guide dogs, looking on just metres away.

I have made an appointment with my therapist for Monday.

:D

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 5:36pm

I’m confused, I thought the umpires never make mistakes and everything they do is deliberate and calculated??

That’s what I keep getting told by the usuals every week 🤷‍♂️ You guys really need to make up your mind.

F*** me, Dudley just admitted that maggots make mistakes while acknowledging that they are not human beings, who he said, also make mistakes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 12 Aug 2023 8:14pm
Thanks for bringing that up Tony, you are the naming rights sponsor for tonight's nightmare

Last night I dreamt I was an aggrieved Magpie cheeer squad member. I woke at 3:30 AM looking for the jar containing my teeth. The panic attack subsided once I remembered I was a Saints supporter and howling decisions made by green-fluro maggots are not solely the fate of St Kilda. I think this horrendous dream was bought about by screaming at the TV in disbelief at seeing two of the worst umpiring (non) decisions I have ever seen. All of this happened with multiple umpires, sans guide dogs, looking on just metres away.

I have made an appointment with my therapist for Monday.

:D
:D :) 8-) :lol: :wink:

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 12:12pm

F*** me, Dudley just admitted that maggots make mistakes while acknowledging that they are not human beings, who he said, also make mistakes.
Yeah - no - it is Dud always claiming that Umpires are perfect and that all decisions are 1,00% technically correct - I would have more time for his gibberish if he was accepting that:
- Umpires make mistakes
- We, as supporters, have a right, nay an obligation, to call it out as being Un-professional

Oh - and then Dud plays the man - not the ball

― Aristophanes

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 12:38pm

Yeah - no - it is Dud always claiming that Umpires are perfect and that all decisions are 1,00% technically correct - I would have more time for his gibberish if he was accepting that:
- Umpires make mistakes
- We, as supporters, have a right, nay an obligation, to call it out as being Un-professional

Find one post where I have said umpires don’t make mistakes and I’ll leave this place and never come back :)

I repeatedly say the umpires make mistakes, FOR and AGAINST us. Swings and roundabouts. We are +60 on the year, the MOST ‘favoured’ team by the umps this year.

You and your pals cry “CHEATS!” everytime a 50/50 call doesn’t go our way, implying the umpires know the correct call but are choosing to not pay it, and therefore not making a mistake. And then you conveniently ignore all the calls that go our way.

And if you’re so concerned about the quality of umpiring then your obligation would be to call it out BOTH ways, but you don’t, and won’t. Is there a term for that?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 1:07pm

- Umpires make mistakes

Find one post where I have said umpires don’t make mistakes and I’ll leave this place and never come back :)

I repeatedly say the umpires make mistakes, FOR and AGAINST us. Swings and roundabouts. We are +60 on the year, the MOST ‘favoured’ team by the umps this year.

You and your pals cry “CHEATS!” everytime a 50/50 call doesn’t go our way, implying the umpires know the correct call but are choosing to not pay it, and therefore not making a mistake. And then you conveniently ignore all the calls that go our way.

And if you’re so concerned about the quality of umpiring then your obligation would be to call it out BOTH ways, but you don’t, and won’t. Is there a term for that?
Okay - lets play that game

I admit that my blood bleeds R,W & B - not sure about yours from some of your comments going back over the decade. However, where have I ever said that the umpires were Cheats?

I have said:
- They should be professional
- They should be questioned
- They have been incompetent
- The free kick count does not mean squat (marks paid as frees - frees paid with 5 seconds to go in the backline)
- Free kicks that are not paid hurt more than the ones paid - especially if they are obvious
- That we should not rely on the Umpires to win the game - but we should be far enough ahead that bad calls do not affect us
- That unfortunately, due to our own incompetence, we have put ourselves in a position that a howler of a decision HAS impacted the game

But - you see anyone with the temerity to call you out as being 'Curley' and respond with a crying emoji.

I dislike the bickering in the Game threads and have called you both out about it - even asking for you to move it to a separate thread - but that is both of you - Curley seems to accept this criticism - you just play the man!

Oh - and as I have said before - I WAS AN UMPIRE FOR A GREAT NUMBER OF YEARS - both boundary and central - in some pretty rough leagues.

But call it as you will - as you do call people cowards and hypocrites.

― Aristophanes

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 1:21pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 13 Aug 2023 1:07pm

- Umpires make mistakes

Okay - lets play that game

I admit that my blood bleeds R,W & B - not sure about yours from some of your comments going back over the decade. However, where have I ever said that the umpires were Cheats?

I have said:
- They should be professional
- They should be questioned
- They have been incompetent
- The free kick count does not mean squat (marks paid as frees - frees paid with 5 seconds to go in the backline)
- Free kicks that are not paid hurt more than the ones paid - especially if they are obvious
- That we should not rely on the Umpires to win the game - but we should be far enough ahead that bad calls do not affect us
- That unfortunately, due to our own incompetence, we have put ourselves in a position that a howler of a decision HAS impacted the game

But - you see anyone with the temerity to call you out as being 'Curley' and respond with a crying emoji.

I dislike the bickering in the Game threads and have called you both out about it - even asking for you to move it to a separate thread - but that is both of you - Curley seems to accept this criticism - you just play the man!

Oh - and as I have said before - I WAS AN UMPIRE FOR A GREAT NUMBER OF YEARS - both boundary and central - in some pretty rough leagues.

But call it as you will - as you do call people cowards and hypocrites.
It’s simple, if you’re so concerned about the quality of umpiring then call it out both ways.

If the umpiring display we just witnessed was reversed, there would be 4 separate threads about it and the place would be in meltdown.

Where are the threads?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Umpires pick and chose what they do and don’t pay on top of basic mistakes that’s the problem.

Today our tackling was rewarded games like the Collingwood game it wasn’t.

On Friday night the umpire payed a mark then clearly bounced to Collingwood they then chose not to pay a clear mark to Cameron.

Myers took a mark on a lead and Quaynor chased him at least five meters over the mark. Umpire decided not to pin him 50.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL