Road to the Finals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Road to the Finals

Obviously a win against Geelong or Brisbane gets us there secure in the knowledge that we took control of our own fate rather relied on results to go our way. Geelong seems the most likely but they’re a very unpredictable team… world beaters one day and losing to Freo in Geelong the other.
Brisbane in Brisbane is one of the toughest asks in football and whilst they’ve been 2-3 most of the year…they feel a step below the best teams to me.

Seems to me however that even with a loss… we could still make it. Here’s the look:

We’re currently 6th on 48 points and a % of 107 with Carlton 2pts above, Sydney 2 pts below and a heap of teams on 44pts

W.B
Ess
GWS

Gee on 42

Adel on 40
Rich on 38

The first most notable game of the coming weeks is GWS vs Essendon. Both are about 8% down on us which means they need two wins to climb over.
Essendon have Collingwood in the last round whilst Carlton host GWS… looks to me like barring a disaster, neither will get there. I’d say a GWS win would be the ideal outcome. If we’re going to bump into one… I’d rather it be them.

The next big one are the threats to go over us… Adel vs Sydney

Adelaide have a monster % and finish the year with WCE hosted by WCE so they have a real chance to get on to 48 points and push us down.
Sydney alternatively hosting Melbourne who even at the SCG, are pbly favoured.
Sydney upsetting Adelaide is pbly the single biggest favour another club could do for us because if they pull of the big win and do get upset by Melbourne.

Western Bulldogs host WCE this week and smash them and then finish the year with game vs Geelong… our season could hang on that. If Geelong win both, they’ll climb over us but the Bulldogs could keep them out if we don’t get the job done.

Again… I’d love to do the job our selves but if that doesn’t work… a Sydeny win this weekend and Western Bulldogs beating Geelong the next with the winner of GWS v Ess also dropping a game in the last round (looking probable regardless) is essentially the ticket.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Road to the Finals

if we beat brisbane in brisbane then we beat the odds and thats what making finals is all about
rather than just fall over the line, we'll bring something worth watching with some unpredictabaility
beating both Geelong and Brisbane is what an honest finals contender would do

Not that i see it happening, but it'd be the only thing making the finals worth anything
being a wildcard spoiler, with nothing to lose is always a wonderful thing

but it aint gonna happen...

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'll tell you what will definitely happen if we scrape in to the finals (Bradbury style)

There'll be a certain poster letting us know that the decision to replace the senior coach was the right decision. That win against Richmond was really nothing to brag about. It's similar to scraping over the line against West Coast and North and bragging about it.

It doesn't matter that we played a club who hasn't won a game at Marvel in 8 attempts or the fact that some Richmond players had checked out of the finals race last week...all that matters to Lyon fanboys is that we now have 1 more victory than last year

Let's see how we go against both Geelong and Brisbane. I hope we can beat one of them to at least boost our prospects to attract talent to our club. Let's hope we don't embarrass ourselves.

The growth and trajectory of Owens, Windhager and Nas Wanganeen-Millera was mapped out prior to Lyon arriving. It was exciting watching them this year alongside Mattaes Phillipou and Anthony Caminiti.

I hope we make finals, but I'm more interested in the opportunity for this young group (along with Keeler, Peris, Hotton, Van Es and Moose) to build and grow together.

If Membrey and Howard and Cordy and Webster and Seb Ross are around that will help these guys mature and also take some of the pressure off them. It will also create competition for spots and lift standards organically rather than trying to import success and make excessive changes each year

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It doesn’t sound like anyone is picking us to make it, which probably works in our favour but doesn’t mean anything in itself.

Pity we play Brisbane earlier than the other games impacting their position on the ladder. The Brisbane game will be difficult but not impossible if things fall our way.

It’s a pity West Coast are so friggin useless. They are an embarrassment.

Probably better that we control our own destiny.

Just beat Geelong FFS.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollopini wrote:
"It doesn't matter that we played a club who hasn't won a game at Marvel in 8 attempts or the fact that some Richmond players had checked out of the finals race last week..."

Richmond were fair dinkum. There was one particular clash between Steele and a Richmond player in front of this supporter and the smack of body on body was frightening. Dusty went hard all game, Balta, Bolton, Nankervis, #43, Taranto, Baker, Vlaustin.....et al - class players. That was not a soft kill it was a good win, well coached. We now have reached what in sports science is called the Ratts parity stage. Its a proxy tipping point.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 1:54am I'll tell you what will definitely happen if we scrape in to the finals (Bradbury style)

There'll be a certain poster letting us know that the decision to replace the senior coach was the right decision. That win against Richmond was really nothing to brag about. It's similar to scraping over the line against West Coast and North and bragging about it.

It doesn't matter that we played a club who hasn't won a game at Marvel in 8 attempts or the fact that some Richmond players had checked out of the finals race last week...all that matters to Lyon fanboys is that we now have 1 more victory than last year

Let's see how we go against both Geelong and Brisbane. I hope we can beat one of them to at least boost our prospects to attract talent to our club. Let's hope we don't embarrass ourselves.

The growth and trajectory of Owens, Windhager and Nas Wanganeen-Millera was mapped out prior to Lyon arriving. It was exciting watching them this year alongside Mattaes Phillipou and Anthony Caminiti.

I hope we make finals, but I'm more interested in the opportunity for this young group (along with Keeler, Peris, Hotton, Van Es and Moose) to build and grow together.

If Membrey and Howard and Cordy and Webster and Seb Ross are around that will help these guys mature and also take some of the pressure off them. It will also create competition for spots and lift standards organically rather than trying to import success and make excessive changes each year
Once again you make stuff up out of thin air and coat it in huge amounts of hubris. If we make the Finals, how would that be falling in Bradbury style?

Your comments on the win on the weekend demonstrates that you know nothing at all about footy. You create Richmond's mindset out of your self serving imagination.

Richmond were still in the Finals race, McQualter wants to get the permanent job and the players want him to get it. Richmond were going hard, we simply out played them. We got the job done, unlike the Bulldogs with their overrated Coach who once fluked a Premiership and stellar List. Yet I reckon you'd rate Beveridge higher than Lyon.

We are currently 6th because we've won more games (or have a better %) than 12 other teams. With the exception of Adelaide we have beaten all the other teams contending for positions 5-8. We also came within a whisker of the 2 best teams (should've beaten Port) and Melbourne only beat us because we lost 2 players in the first minute. Bradbury style my arse!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 10:26am Scollopini wrote:
"It doesn't matter that we played a club who hasn't won a game at Marvel in 8 attempts or the fact that some Richmond players had checked out of the finals race last week..."

Richmond were fair dinkum. There was one particular clash between Steele and a Richmond player in front of this supporter and the smack of body on body was frightening. Dusty went hard all game, Balta, Bolton, Nankervis, #43, Taranto, Baker, Vlaustin.....et al - class players. That was not a soft kill it was a good win, well coached. We now have reached what in sports science is called the Ratts parity stage. Its a proxy tipping point.
Balta had his mind on either Phuket or Bali. He couldn't decide? Dusty was kicking it straight to a Saints jumper in the first quarter. It's great to be a premiership player isn't and not care whether you make another finals series....or not

Nothing beats sitting close to the action in level 1

I love hearing the smack of body on body too :mrgreen:

Anyhoo...I follow my team and I support my players. If some posters are on here to pump up the worth of 1 sole employee... that's good for them
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 15 Aug 2023 10:43am, edited 1 time in total.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Everyone saying one more win gets it done, unfortunately not necessarily so, although probable.

If we beat Geelong and Carlton, Sydney, Bulldogs all win (Either Ess or GWS will win). Then it won't be done.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 10:37am Everyone saying one more win gets it done, unfortunately not necessarily so, although probable.

If we beat Geelong and Carlton, Sydney, Bulldogs all win (Either Ess or GWS will win). Then it won't be done.
True but the results are fairly probable at that point. Either GWS and Ess (whoever wins) would need an upset win and to close 8%. Not impossible, but unlikely

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 11:01am
The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 10:37am Everyone saying one more win gets it done, unfortunately not necessarily so, although probable.

True but the results are fairly probable at that point. Either GWS and Ess (whoever wins) would need an upset win and to close 8%. Not impossible, but unlikely
8% is a reasonable buffer but not insurmountable over 2 games. We lose 4% they gain 4%.

Essendon play Collingwood last game and Collingwood who have top spot sewn up, will have the cue in the rack. GWS are capable of getting Carlton. The Bulldogs who have West Coast this week, will play Geelong last. If we beat Geelong, they'll be out of contention and have the cue in the rack.

If we beat Geelong, we want Adelaide to beat Sydney (in Adelaide) and we're home.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Is it that much of a disaster if we miss finals?

Don’t get me wrong, it would be good for the kids to get a taste of it.

But it’s not really do or die, pass or fail is it?

We’re building and I think on the right track

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 11:14am Is it that much of a disaster if we miss finals?

Don’t get me wrong, it would be good for the kids to get a taste of it.

But it’s not really do or die, pass or fail is it?

We’re building and I think on the right track
No, it wouldn't be a disaster. Although it would be annoying to drop out of the 8 in the last round after having been in the 8 all year.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 10:36am

Balta had his mind on either Phuket or Bali. He couldn't decide? Dusty was kicking it straight to a Saints jumper in the first quarter. It's great to be a premiership player isn't and not care whether you make another finals series....or not

Anyhoo...I follow my team and I support my players. If some posters are on here to pump up the worth of 1 sole employee... that's good for them
What's your problem oh cryptic one?
Mind reading giving you a headache?
You turning nasty?
Lighten up, it was a good win.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 12:13pm

You turning nasty?
It's good to cheer on the boys and I wasn't concerned at any stage in the match.

Just don't give as much credit to the coaching as others do. I haven't wavered.

I took my mum who is 79. She wore her Maddie scarf and we enjoyed the game

What's your problem?

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 12:46pm

You turning nasty?
It's good to cheer on the boys and I wasn't concerned at any stage in the match.

What's your problem?
The trouble is when you assert we're doing a 'Bradbury' if we make the Finals, that Richmond had the cue in the rack and Balta was thinking of an end of season trip, you're making bulls*** up that's far from true.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 12:57pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 12:46pm

You turning nasty?

What's your problem?
The trouble is when you assert we're doing a 'Bradbury' if we make the Finals, that Richmond had the cue in the rack and Balta was thinking of an end of season trip, you're making bulls*** up that's far from true.
So ...you call anyone's opinion that differs from yours bulls***. I have no problem with that

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Did Mummy Scallop notice Tarranto took it on himself to be tagged out of the game. Saved our coaches thinking of it. Good actor too, Timmy the Tiger, looked like he was trying. Unless it was pointed out he was mentally packing a suitcase I would not have suspected.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Tigers should have gone down the mini rebuild path. Hindsight is wonderful.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I am no Ross fan in fact I would happily see the back of him, my personal opinion and not really open for discussion.
However, the game on the weekend was probably our most complete performance for the year.
We were switched on for the whole game and played a strong attacking brand of counter punch football.
We did not slip into the ultra defensive at any time like we did against Carlton and just kept working even into the last quarter when all the sting had been taken out of the game.
Credit where credit is due Ross coached a good game and the team played very well, I don't it was a soft win as Richmond are a decent side but on Sunday we were better.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

If we win the next 2 games this list will go a long way to shifting my current thinking about the required magnitude of the rebuild.

If we loose both games and still somehow make the finals then it will without doubt be doing “the Bradbury”….and our finals game could get ugly.

An exciting 2 weeks ahead.

We are now only $51 for the flag down from $81 after the victory over the Tiges.

Already getting sad the footy season is almost over.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

SaintPav wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 2:24pm Tigers should have gone down the mini rebuild path. Hindsight is wonderful.
I thought they were - or is it confirmed that Mini isn't getting the permanent coaching gig? :D :lol:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Sanctorum
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 2:36pm I am no Ross fan in fact I would happily see the back of him, my personal opinion and not really open for discussion.
However, the game on the weekend was probably our most complete performance for the year.
We were switched on for the whole game and played a strong attacking brand of counter punch football.
We did not slip into the ultra defensive at any time like we did against Carlton and just kept working even into the last quarter when all the sting had been taken out of the game.
Credit where credit is due Ross coached a good game and the team played very well, I don't it was a soft win as Richmond are a decent side but on Sunday we were better.
That's very gracious of you SCS, it's good to see someone who doesn't like Ross Lyon actually acknowledge that the team was well coached, and you have encapsulated my view on this game entirely!

Richmond most definitely were keen to stay in the finals race but were beaten by an outfit that played one of their best games this season.

With that sort of form and players well motivated to remain in the top 8 St Kilda is well placed to upset Geelong on Saturday night.

The final round against Brisbane at the Gabba may well see the Lions rest some key players to allow them to recover for the finals, that has happened many times in previuous years.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

It seems quite clear to me that Dusty Martin wasn't happy. They kept flashing to him on the bench, he was benched quite often and at times got vocal.

It appeared that a few of the older blokes were having a crack, maybe there was a bit of a split in the team over the future. Maybe Dusty doesn't wanna go to the Gold Coast. I dont know, but I think we just passed Richmond on our way up and they're gonna rebuild.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dis Believer wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 2:43pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 2:24pm Tigers should have gone down the mini rebuild path. Hindsight is wonderful.
I thought they were - or is it confirmed that Mini isn't getting the permanent coaching gig? :D :lol:
It might take a season or two to shake the Tiger hubris.

I get the impression he doesn’t like the limelight.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

More of a back alley than a road, but we would have to be most unlucky with the results of the other games to miss out even if we lose the next two. And remember, we are currently six wins from a flag, but if we were to make the finals after losing the next two, we would be only four wins from a flag.