Dan & Jack Make Choices Look Hard?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Dan & Jack Make Choices Look Hard?

It seems to me that if DB and Jack H could make good quick first instinct decisions 90% of the time instead of : either making an instantaneous bad decision; or pausing, second guessing and then butchering the ball when presented with more than one option, we could have a very dangerous forward set up. But those guys seem to have trouble with poor choices given options, or even when there is only one obvious option. Should have bottled some of that eau de Milne to sprinkle on their instincts, don't you think?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dan & Jack Make Choices Look Hard?

Higgins footy intellect is fair to good when it comes to kicking a goal for himself, but he struggles with a few basics like kicking the footy more than 30cm above the turf

Dan B obviously has to play in the forward line in close proximity to Jack H. JH unfortunately brings everyone down to his level of intelligence.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Butler is miles ahead of Higgins as a small forward IMO

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think your both wrong. They get serious heat when they have the ball because they can do the unexpected. I think Butler is a very smart footballer.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sanctorum
Club Player

Looking at their stats this year suggests that Butler and Higgins are a powerful combination:

Higgins - 33 goals, 22 behinds, 11 goal assists
Butler - 30 goals/11/11

At one stage they were rated as the best 2 small forwards combinations in the comp, they're probably still around that mark today.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Butler’s decision making to me is close to exceptional. I feel very comfortable when he’s the one streaming forward to kick the ball inside 50m.

Higgins IMO is suited to playing closer to goals because his skills and decision making aren’t as sharp… but he’s tougher, more likely to get into space for a mark and take a strong grab (relatively speaking) for his size. Set shot wise, he has improved out of sight this year and mostly been very reliable when it comes to that round the corner snap he likes.
Admittedly, IMO his decision making is actually quite poor poor in that I think he lacks composure. He’s one of those players that is x1000 better making a snap decision rather them having 2-3s to decide. Seems like the coaches are across this.

One of the things that annoyed me last year was seeing Higgins sitting on a HFF (turnover merchant kicking into 50m) or having take a mark in the lead around the 50m mark when he couldn’t make the distance. Felt like a trap opposition defences walked us into.

(Here you go Teffers…) - feels like an aspect of coaching that has been smarter/more considered this season. Butler plays further out looking to exploit his speed, endurance, decision making and skills… and Higgins plays closer when he takes good marks and reliably finishes or is more prone to get the ball in a contest and just have a shot without thinking too much

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Butler has equally the cleanest hands in our team and he makes smart decisions. Can kick goals comfortably on his non preferred foot. Chases harder than any other player in the team, too

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I actually cannot think of any St Kilda player who makes these decisions look easy, besides NWM & Sincs from half back, so I am a little baffled why these two are singled out.

Butler gets criticised for not kicking enough goals but chases and tackles like it's 2nd nature. Higgins presents and kicks goals and behinds, could chase harder but both err on the side of being team orientated, in my opinion.

That sets a standard I wish more would follow.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

big wraps for butler - real team player and smart with the ball. higgo, not so much.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 6:09pm I actually cannot think of any St Kilda player who makes these decisions look easy, besides NWM & Sincs from half back, so I am a little baffled why these two are singled out.

Butler gets criticised for not kicking enough goals but chases and tackles like it's 2nd nature. Higgins presents and kicks goals and behinds, could chase harder but both err on the side of being team orientated, in my opinion.

I watched King for a bit last match. He doesn't chase.

6 goals was great but there is room for improvement.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 6:47pm
Ghost Like wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 6:09pm I actually cannot think of any St Kilda player who makes these decisions look easy, besides NWM & Sincs from half back, so I am a little baffled why these two are singled out.

Wasn't there talk that when King & Membrey play together, our pressure count (tackles) nose dive?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I agree on this.
2nd efforts were poor, been good previously

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 6:52pm

Wasn't there talk that when King & Membrey play together, our pressure count (tackles) nose dive?
Because they catch the ball, less loose ball, less tackles? Maybe Max has been told look after that shoulder, you kick the goals others can tackle?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Fascinating conversation. In the credit thread we’re having a conversation about how Ross stood in defence at the point where the ball was coming, let in drop whilst watching the Richmond forward that had gotten away from Cordy take a chest mark unopposed.

The theme there is that as he’s not a defender, it’s unreasonable of Ross to take 2 steps forward and raise his hands up.

In this thread, tall forwards are expected chase and apply pressure despite the fact that typically they’re not known for running and agility.

Geeez… I wish someone would write down the different rules for different players. Very hard to follow

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He's been out most of the year so his fitness is down plus he doesn't want to test that shoulder out. You can see hes avoiding contact at all costs.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 16 Aug 2023 4:21pm

He's been out most of the year so his fitness is down plus he doesn't want to test that shoulder out. You can see hes avoiding contact at all costs.
Didn't he re-do his shoulder against Melbourne, chasing and trying to tackle May?

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 4:07pm Looking at their stats this year suggests that Butler and Higgins are a powerful combination:

Butler - 30 goals/11/11

At one stage they were rated as the best 2 small forwards combinations in the comp, they're probably still around that mark today.
Great post

They match up by my reckoning as the 3rd highest small pair
Behind Greene 54 Daniels 20 = 74
Cameron 47 McCarthy 20 = 67

So very happy with a 63 goal return

FQF

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Butler is king of the 5m kick

Tries to be too cute

Higgins is the worst kick in the team - his double handed ball drop is horrendous

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Wed 16 Aug 2023 6:24pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 15 Aug 2023 4:07pm Looking at their stats this year suggests that Butler and Higgins are a powerful combination:

Butler - 30 goals/11/11

Great post

They match up by my reckoning as the 3rd highest small pair
Behind Greene 54 Daniels 20 = 74
Cameron 47 McCarthy 20 = 67

So very happy with a 63 goal return

FQF
Incredible - for a low scoring team too! And we still have two games and maybe finals to go to add to that total. They've been good value this year thus far.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Am I right I’m assuming Butler would have a wider heat map across the ground than Higgins?

Anyway, I’m not sure Higgins should be closer in and Butler further out, as I think Butler is a great shark and crumber, and Higgins is quite a strong mark. Reminds me a bit of Craig O’Brien.

But those stats if 30 + 33 goals are popping out! Nice one. Didn’t realise .

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Am I right I’m assuming Butler would have a wider heat map across the ground than Higgins?

Anyway, I’m not sure Higgins should be closer in and Butler further out, as I think Butler is a great shark and crumber, and Higgins is quite a strong mark. Reminds me a bit of Craig O’Brien.

But those stats if 30 + 33 goals are popping out! Nice one. Didn’t realise .

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

You are right, chasing has never been a strong point for King. Needs to work on it.

But I'm prepared to cut him some slack at the moment as clearly he's a little underdone with fitness and also confidence in laying big tackles due to his shoulder.