Why do teams suck so badly at the Gabba?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Why do teams suck so badly at the Gabba?

Brisbane are unbeaten at the Gabba this season!

And despite their atrocious record in Melbourne until a certain game in their fixture - guess who, they sucked here…

I read with some scorn, one of their fan’s predictions for this week in Big Footy. (I’ll try and cut n paste it, might not work) He or she called us ‘The St Kilda Saints’ , which annoys the effin outta me…

But anyway, it was a pretty good preview, and it said that the Lions killed us at Marvel from guess where? our half-back line!! what was going on? Was NWM a back flanker then..?. stocker?…

…..OK here it is………..(some of it)
Rnd24 - What’s at stake?
After defeating the Pies for the 6th consecutive time we currently hold second place by percentage over Melbourne and by game day if a win over the Saints rewards us with the title of minor premiers.
St Kilda will secure a finals berth should they become the first team to win at the Gabba this year.

BNE can finish…
1st – IF, they defeat STK, ESS def COL
2nd – IF they defeat STK
If we lose either 3rd or at worst 4th -

STK…
– will play finals ‘cause WCE defeated the doggies.

Omens anyone?
BNE not lost at the Gabba this year, played 11 for ZERO losses
STK not won interstate this year, travelled 6 times for ZERO wins
Lyons has ZERO wins against a Fagan coached team at the Gabba

Last Time
Round 15 @ Docklands: Lions 12:12:84 def Saints 8:8:56
worm.jpg

“Brisbane’s forward-half game was the difference between the two teams tonight, scoring 65 of their 84 points from forward-half launches. They generated 11 more inside 50s than the Saints and won 10 more forward half intercepts.” – afl.com.au

Form – LAST 5 games

Last 5 games.jpg

Brisbane last 5 games at Gabba
For and Against averages
F- 102pts
A- 63pts

St Kilda last 5 games interstate
For and Against averages
F – 75.4pts
A – 84pts

Teams.jpg

Okay, enough of the numbers and pictorials. Above is my suggested team line-ups.
As the game approaches, the Brisbane Lions coaching staff will closely monitor the injuries to Ah Chee and McCarthy and for the Saints, Ross and Sharman to determine whether they will be available for selection for Saturday. There is also some talk that St Kilda may consider resting Marshall.

Regardless of the players’ health conditions, the game promises to be a thrilling encounter, with both teams performing at a high level in recent games. However, the Brisbane Lions' unbeaten record at home this year AND the mathematical possibility of a minor premiership should ensure we select our strongest fittest team for our last game prior to finals.

The St Kilda Saints will undoubtedly be looking to end our winning streak, their high pressure run and carry game looked good against Geelong and the Lions will need to be at their best to secure yet another home victory. With the possible absences of some key players, the Lions will be relying on their squad's depth and resilience to maintain their home record and continue their push for the flag.

The BOM forecast for Saturday suggests a mostly sunny day with light winds becoming easterly during the day and maximum of around 26C.

My forecast, Lions by 29pts.

NB: yeah shallow in content maybe but posted days earlier than the Rnd15 preview by ZoBlitz - Bring on Round 24 AND THE FINALS!

GO LIONS!!!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Re: Why do teams suck so badly at the Gabba?

Er.. think we won wherever GWS plays, somewhere out in shitter’s ditch, Western Shitney. In any case, I think trial the underdogs and an honourable loss is a win.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Well, we've made the finals, so, there's that!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:12pm Er.. think we won wherever GWS plays, somewhere out in shitter’s ditch, Western Shitney. In any case, I think trial the underdogs and an honourable loss is a win.
Yep

The poster says we only got in ‘cause West Coast beat Footscray bla bla ….so as usual, it is just fan blinkers bias. So they are a genuine fan, I give them that..

But they are definitely taking a little wee s*** on the Saints and our prospects. Actually, they posted a team matchup too, but it didn’t ‘copy ‘n paste’ unfortunately. But they ‘selected’ Bytel for Ross, and called Sharman, ‘Charman’, which I think Vortex will agree, is pretty apt, as Cooper is very Charming, and who knows, the next Darren Jarman? Bridge too far?

Anyway, the brutal fact remains.

Brissy undefeated at Gabba!

Saints never won interstate!

Edit ( thanks Magic …we DID win)

Saints, despite this poster, may rest a bunch AND I BEG dear Banger-LENO-AllRIGHT now, and RTB not to tempt the devil, and rest a bunch - we may win because of the LIGHTNESS of being, but we will punished on the return of ‘the stars’ and their backpacks which contain 80kg of expectations.

But the OP is about the GABBA..why? Heat? Humidity? Surface, shape? Brisbane fans are not especially nasty, are they? I mean, it’s not like Adelaide or Perth, or even Sydney (who for new arrivals , are particularly obnoxious)
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Triple before the double
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Double
Last edited by shanegrambeau on Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:12pm Er.. think we won wherever GWS plays, somewhere out in shitter’s ditch, Western Shitney. In any case, I think trial the underdogs and an honourable loss is a win.
We also beat Sydney in Sydney
and
WCE in Perth

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:33pm
and
WCE in Perth
Haha

It gets more accurate by the second!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Mon 21 Aug 2023 11:33pm
and
WCE in Perth
I am gonna post a reposte

Thanks Magic.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

And then DieHard Saint posted this on their thread..

Very comprehensive OP, but if I may just correct you, the Saints have in fact beaten Sydney, Eagles and the Giants away this season - so 3/6. Also we do not have to beat you to secure a finals berth. We are already in and cannot be displaced.

Well, I really don’t know if it is the Lions sense of humour here!

I know I believed it 100 and I don’t stop to think - in my finals delirium - that we had in fact betean the Weagles over there (I think I suppressed the scorching embarrassment at the time, that we had barely scraped home against a barely VFA aside at the time)

Now the Bears fans have piled on and said we lack an awareness of irony!! Go figure!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Brisbane are very good, it's a long flight and warm.
Be a good lead in for the finals. Can't expect to win, but ......it's the age of 100 yr events.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 22 Aug 2023 2:13am Now the Bears fans have piled on and said we lack an awareness of irony!! Go figure!
I assume they mean Irony in the Alanis Morissette meaning of the word.
Simply getting statements of facts wrong is not irony it is just lazy.
Irony is to make a statement that opposes your actual meaning to either emphasize an evident truth or elicit humor, such as the following statement.
Everyone knows that Brisbane Bear's supporters are the most knowledgeable, erudite and dedicated supporters in the league.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

On "form" of course Brisbonk should win. However, in my humble opinion, the Saints are running into a nice wee vein of form, and anything could happen at the GOBBA, this sarradee! Oh, and note to Lions BF commentators: "pride often comes before a fall"

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I don't know if it's that teams are bad at the Gabba, or that Brisbane travel poorly.

It's not a ground with a significant size or shape advantage like the SCG or Kardinia Park.

It's 3m narrow and 4m shorter than the MCG.
9m narrower 3.5m shorter and than Docklands.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-16/ ... /101154950

SaintWiki
Club Player

We failed against Lions in June (Spuds game) but we have become more competitive since then, have more confidence and are now a more rounded team IMHO. Should be great match and if we bring our best we have a good chance of sneaking an upset.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

St Kilda are 8-5 at the Gabba over the last 15 years.

We are 3-3 interstate this season.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote: Tue 22 Aug 2023 7:39pm I don't know if it's that teams are bad at the Gabba, or that Brisbane travel poorly.

It's not a ground with a significant size or shape advantage like the SCG or Kardinia Park.

It's 3m narrow and 4m shorter than the MCG.
9m narrower 3.5m shorter and than Docklands.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-16/ ... /101154950
One of the main reason teams are so shite at the Gabba is the ground condition - especially if you play them at night in July and August or, at the very start of the season. Either the dew sets in and it's like a cake of soap or, it's so humid that players can't grab the pill without it slipping. It's the same at Gold Coast. Bris and GCS train in those conditions and are used to it.

Go you red, black & white warriors
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

This https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-23/ ... s/12690600 from late 2020, after analysing the QLD games, suggests that differences are slight, BUT

congestion = more..

hyper-handball less effective than the kick n' mark.

and

there is the odd 'dry' game.

I suspect that players such as Butler, fleet of foot and hand, will relish this. (and didn't he have a productive '20 (QLD hub) season?