The Silence: AFL’s Last Taboo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Silence: AFL’s Last Taboo

Did anyone see Monday night’s episode of 4 Corners?

I just watched it on iview. And I gotta say, it’s a slightly troubling report. I realise the issue makes a few people in this forum uncomfortable, but I couldn’t care less. I, for one, think it’s an abomination that the AFL is a professional sporting league where any player who is gay can’t feel comfortable about who they are and has to live his public life in the closet.

According to 4 Corners journalist Louise Milligan, none of the clubs in the AFL were comfortable in discussing the issue with her during the production of the story. I feel slightly disappointed with the St.Kilda F.C. for being one of those clubs. After all, we have been one of the clubs to participate in the Pride Match since 2016. Geez! Even the likes of Eddie McGuire has been a proponent over the years in wanting to stamp out homophobia in our game!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-21/ ... /102757092

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Silence: AFL’s Last Taboo

I thought we’d all be past this… especially us and Sydney. I guess we should always remember that these are just football players

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately it’s just a reflection of society.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Maybe some players are very comfortable and very happy not coming out publicly .... happy for their friends and family to know but not whole frigging world and all the hoopla and the pressure to be a gay icon that would come with it

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
StPeter
Club Player

Excellent program.

Some progress has been made in recent years although not enough.

We won't see again in the media such rubbish as the homophobic jibes that used to appear on programs like The Footy Show that used to masquerade as humour.

The introduction of Pride Round for our club and the Swans is another step forward although there are still narrow-minded supporters who condemn our participation.

Most clubs now have gay supporter groups.

A further step forward would be the introduction of a Pride Round for all clubs, like in the AFLW, and I believe this could well happen in the future.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The club was wise to pass .
Allota of her speculative journalism seems to cost us taxpayers in court .

In red white and black from 73
SaintWiki
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 10:56pm Did anyone see Monday night’s episode of 4 Corners?

I just watched it on iview. And I gotta say, it’s a slightly troubling report. I realise the issue makes a few people in this forum uncomfortable, but I couldn’t care less. I, for one, think it’s an abomination that the AFL is a professional sporting league where any player who is gay can’t feel comfortable about who they are and has to live his public life in the closet.

According to 4 Corners journalist Louise Milligan, none of the clubs in the AFL were comfortable in discussing the issue with her during the production of the story. I feel slightly disappointed with the St.Kilda F.C. for being one of those clubs. After all, we have been one of the clubs to participate in the Pride Match since 2016. Geez! Even the likes of Eddie McGuire has been a proponent over the years in wanting to stamp out homophobia in our game!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-21/ ... /102757092
You're game, but I'll buy in a little bit.

It doesn't surprise me that there are issues, because it's obvious as society in general we are still struggling with homophobia, misogyny and racism, which has been rampant in the past. From my observation surely there must still be AFL/AFLW players who feel more comfortable in hiding their sexuality.

The AFL have employed a General Manager of Inclusion and Social Policy, surely she was interviewed by 4 corners.

Regarding Eddie Everywhere, I wouldn't trust him on the subject of inclusion generally. He made a big noise about stamping out racism and then went on radio and suggested Adam Goodes could be involved in the promotion of the musical King Kong.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 10:56pm where any player who is gay can’t feel comfortable about who they are and has to live his public life in the closet.
Why does anyone have to come out? I would feel uncomfortable someone directly asking about my sexuality, let alone my boss making public statements about it, regardless if I was heterosexual or homosexual. This smacks of a journo who wants to be the one who outs someone, why do we even have to ask and why is it a shame noone has publicly stated their private life dealings?

If someone wants the public to know go for it, if they don't don't, does it matter? Its a matter for the individual not the public to decide it.

And yes their are gay players in the AFL and there are plenty of gay players from the past as well, that are open about being gay they are just don't want to make a public statement telling people they are gay not because they are ashamed but because it's not something that needs to be stated.

And yes I know a past player (not a St Kilda player but you would know them) who is a member of my extended family who is openly gay, previous team mates and club knew about it, married, just doesn't want to hold a press conference to announce if he is a top or bottom (his words)
Last edited by ausfatcat on Thu 24 Aug 2023 12:30am, edited 3 times in total.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Why would any club or player want too talk to Louise Milligan, given her apalling track record of hatchet jobs? Sure, there are probably a few gay footballers playing AFL but that is entirely their business. Not my business, not yours or the clubs, the AFL's and certainly not the ABC's business.

And, no, I didn't watch it. If you want to know why, refer to the previous paragraph.

Saint supporter since '62
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I seem to remember a gay footballer kissing her wife on television on an awards night without much hysteria following. Is it only gay males who are 'forced' to 'live in the closet'.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Who made the ABC the moral police?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

When I hear the abuse towards players now from a members section, see Bulldogs supporters spitting on players after the race, watch the disingenuous piety on the football shows I can fully understand. What would be the upside. Players still conceal depression because for all our "enlightenment " there is stigma attached. Long long way to go.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

yep

a referendum and some inclusion talking heads
won't fix Australia

bogans 'n showboats rule

the lowest common denominator is pretty low

edit ... 'they' rule via weaponising information

grubby traducement of character
by grubs who have no right
to judge anyones character but their own
Last edited by asiu on Thu 24 Aug 2023 9:47am, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 11:35pm Maybe some players are very comfortable and very happy not coming out publicly .... happy for their friends and family to know but not whole frigging world and all the hoopla and the pressure to be a gay icon that would come with it
Absolutey spot on. No idea why people think its their right to know other peoples private relationships.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 9:24am
Devilhead wrote: Wed 23 Aug 2023 11:35pm Maybe some players are very comfortable and very happy not coming out publicly .... happy for their friends and family to know but not whole frigging world and all the hoopla and the pressure to be a gay icon that would come with it
Absolutey spot on. No idea why people think its their right to know other peoples private relationships.
There are plenty of openly heterosexual players in the AFL who don't have to "come out publicly" or hold press conferences, why should it be any different for homosexuals?

It is clearly because society still has plenty of issues.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it the same for most other male sports?

It's not like their team-mates wouldn't know... why would anyone want the media or a random knuckle dragger on the other side of the fence to know their particular orientation?

If you 'announced' it you'd almost kinda be obliged to become a spokesperson... and maybe it's just nobody has has wanted to take that profile and spotlight on, yet.

Although I'm sure if Jason Akermanis or Héritier Lumumba were gay they would have.

Play on.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 10:00am
CURLY wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 9:24am
There are plenty of openly heterosexual players in the AFL who don't have to "come out publicly" or hold press conferences, why should it be any different for homosexuals?

It is clearly because society still has plenty of issues.
Perhaps they don't want to be the flag bearers they just want to make their mark for playing football. I'm sure their team mates are aware and the fact they can keep it in house as requested is a credit to the culture. If that is the case.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 12:15am Why would any club or player want too talk to Louise Milligan, given her apalling track record of hatchet jobs? Sure, there are probably a few gay footballers playing AFL but that is entirely their business. Not my business, not yours or the clubs, the AFL's and certainly not the ABC's business.

And, no, I didn't watch it. If you want to know why, refer to the previous paragraph.
I have never heard of Milligan but then I don't watch crap television.

I would say however that anyone's sexual preference is none of her f****** business.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I get that it's nobody's business, I think the point of it all is that why is men's footy so different to other industries?

The women are much better at this than the men.
Nobody cares if a woman footballer is gay and is in a same-sex relationship.

Other public industries are much better at this than the AFL.
Nobody cares if a male actor/musician is gay and is in a same-sex relationship.

Why is it an issue for the AFL?
What would happen if an AFL player rocked up to the Brownlow red carpet holding hands with another bloke? Would the AFL come to a grinding halt?
I'd be stunned if anything was said on the field or in the media. Are we worried about what abuse would come from the other side of the fence?

It's sad that if a player is gay, he can't be in public with the love of his life in this industry.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Players have a right to their privacy. It's no one else's business.

With the horrible toxicity of social media, that privacy is even most important to preserve.

Rubyjo
Club Player

The left are obsessed with sexuality just look what thay teach kids in primary school these days ..

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 11:31am The left are obsessed with sexuality just look what thay teach kids in primary school these days ..
And what do they teach kids in primary school?

wally
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 11:00am Players have a right to their privacy. It's no one else's business.

With the horrible toxicity of social media, that privacy is even most important to preserve.
The other problem these days is people misinterpret what you say and get on their highhorses and carry on.
I dont like it when institutions such as the AFL come out and publicly back things because it seems to me that they do so to win friends.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 12:02pm
Rubyjo wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 11:31am The left are obsessed with sexuality just look what thay teach kids in primary school these days ..
They teach kids not to be prejudiced knuckle dragger bogans.

In other words he's offended that they teach kids not to be like him.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 1:13pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 24 Aug 2023 12:02pm
They teach kids not to be prejudiced knuckle dragger bogans.

In other words he's offended that they teach kids not to be like him.
I kind of figured that, but I would love to hear what disinformation he was trying to spread as fact.