Billings ready to go.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Billings ready to go.

from afl.com.au

CONTRACTED SAINT 'READY TO GO'

RIVAL teams are "not doing their job" if they're not making calls on contracted St Kilda midfielder Jack Billings, as the classy Saint continues in his attempts to break into the club's finals team.

Billings' manager, Paul Connors from Connors Sports Management, told AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable this week that "not enough" teams were enquiring about his potential availability.

Still contracted through to 2025, Billings has played just three senior games this season after making a delayed start to the year with a fractured leg before suffering hamstring and thumb injuries during the campaign.

However, Connors said Billings is now ready to crack into the club's senior side as it gears towards September and described the 28-year-old as being a 'Moneyball' option for rival teams.

"People forget he's been injured for a while, but he's ready to go," Connors told Gettable.

Riley Beveridge and Cal Twomey are joined by player manager Paul Connors and discuss the latest trade and draft news

"He's faster than people believe, too. His high-end speed is really, really good. The Saints would think he needs another big pre-season, my view is he's ready to go. We forget how good some talent is. I think Jack Billings is the forgotten AFL player.

"He kicks it elite, he's a 9.9 (out of 10) as a preparer … it's Moneyball for me. I'm surprised he's not in St Kilda's side, but their view is that he's done really well to get ready for now. I'm in love with Jack Billings the player, and the person. If clubs aren't enquiring about him, they're not doing their job."

Connors said Billings was yet to explore rival interest, saying he was fully concentrating on returning to St Kilda's finals team after a strong period of VFL form where he has averaged 22.4 disposals and kicked nine goals from eight games.

"His No.1 focus is the Saints being in the finals and he wants to be in that team," he said.

"He's bloody close. One injury and he's in. So, at the moment, we'll wait and sit down at the end of the year. It would be wrong to talk too much with Jack about that right now when he's laser focused on getting in the team." – Riley Beveridge

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings ready to go.

Connors doing his job,
Is absolutely tell porkies
Of coarse he has a suitor
But what’s the best way to get more cash
Create a bigger market and competition

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

I think he's working with the Club to push up his trade value.

Unless we get a good trade, by good I mean one that ultimately improves our List now or in the future. Then I believe we should keep him. He is a very good player with beautiful foot skills on both sides. He still could offer a lot.

older saint
SS Life Member

contracted so for once we hold the whip hand here.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Would people consider trading him to GC for a guy like Mabiour Choi (or however it’s spelt).

GC have suggested he’s on the table. Big unit, kicks goals, could pinch hit in the ruck as he has a decent leap.

Have no idea what his value is

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 2:16pm Would people consider trading him to GC for a guy like Mabiour Choi (or however it’s spelt).

GC have suggested he’s on the table. Big unit, kicks goals, could pinch hit in the ruck as he has a decent leap.

Is Chol any upgrade on Jack Hayes?

saintkid
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 11:37am Connors doing his job,
Exactly right there.

His performances at Sandringham were nothing to rave about. 9 goals from 8 games in a much more inferior competition. Big deal Connors. The senior selection table tells us what Ross thinks of Billings.

Unfortunately Billings was a big bust. Physically still looks like a school boy and his play has not improved much in a 10 year career. His set shots at goal are nothing special either.

Best thing about Billings was getting Sinclair at the club who is now elite and every year showed distinct improvement, unlike Jack B.

Never deserved the coin he was on either.
Last edited by saintkid on Thu 31 Aug 2023 2:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 2:20pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 2:16pm Would people consider trading him to GC for a guy like Mabiour Choi (or however it’s spelt).

That’s a good point actually. It’s hard to tell because Hayes is really an unknown quantity to us. To be frank… the fact that he even got back on the park this year is kind of impressive. At this point, Choi would attract more value but I wonder if there’s an attitudinal concern there as it looks like he may be being moved on from a second club despite seemingly looking good.
Hayes and Chol are very similar types although Jack is a proven performer in Grand Finals at the 2nd tier level so we will get a glimpse at how he goes in a final at AFL level.

If Hayes plays like a spud in the final then off with his head and HELLO Chol.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 2:54pm
Exactly right there.

His performances at Sandringham were nothing to rave about. 9 goals from 8 games in a much more inferior competion. Big deal Connors. The senior selection table tells us what Ross thinks of Billings.

Unfortunately Billings was a big bust. Physically still looks like a school boy and his play has not improved much in a 10 year career. His set shots at goal are nothing special either.

Best thing about Billings was getting Sinclair at the club who is now elite and every year showed distinct improvement, unlike Jack B.

Yeah and I wonder if it was the coin he’s been on that made him a target for Lyon, essentially he might have been a victim of being an overrated high DP in an average team.

I recon he was told at some point during the season he should see if he can find a new home, especially one that is happy to pay him the wage he’s become accustomed to.

Has been in preservation mode and it’s possible he could end up playing some good footy at another club but it’s fairly obvious both club and player need a fresh start to see what is possible.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

That’s a good point actually. It’s hard to tell because Hayes is really an unknown quantity to us. To be frank… the fact that he even got back on the park this year is kind of impressive. At this point, Choi would attract more value but I wonder if there’s an attitudinal concern there as it looks like he may be being moved on from a second club despite seemingly looking good.
Something very strange with this post?
I only posted the one sentence - I have no idea who posted the answer to my question or how it ended up in my post?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

No to Chol

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 3:38pm

Something very strange with this post?
I only posted the one sentence - I have no idea who posted the answer to my question or how it ended up in my post?
Hahaha, that’s completely on me. I hit the wrong button. Apologies.

Here’s my post

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Physically still looks like a school boy ….

Best thing about Billings was getting Sinclair at the club who is now elite and every year showed distinct improvement
We all know it’s possible to shape your body. We all know AFL is an unforgiving contact sport. Takes years of hard work and Sinclair has invested in himself and has done the strength work. Also takes a disciplined regime of eating.

Billings has relied on athleticism alone.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

So it looks like Billings is on his way. Will he join the Saints hall of fame list of players whom we let go and who went on to win a premiership medallion at another club?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Richo likes Billings doesn’t he

Richo also took Dunstan so maybe there’s an option for JB if he wants to play at Casey rather than at Sandringham

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 4:31pm So it looks like Billings is on his way. Will he join the Saints hall of fame list of players whom we let go and who went on to win a premiership medallion at another club?
The only way he is leaving is if we let him - he's contracted for another year.
Much like Hunter Clark last year - if someone offers us a trade that we deem acceptable, then he'll go. If not, he'll have to fulfill his contract obligations with us.

saintkid
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 4:23pm

Best thing about Billings was getting Sinclair at the club who is now elite and every year showed distinct improvement
We all know it’s possible to shape your body. We all know AFL is an unforgiving contact sport. Takes years of hard work and Sinclair has invested in himself and has done the strength work. Also takes a disciplined regime of eating.

Yep and was never enough in his case.

He should have also invested in the club that has paid him handsomely since the early stages of his career, after his 2013 drafting.

Big Max
Club Player

I'm a Billings fan, and reckon he's easily in our best 22

saintkid
Club Player

Big Max wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 5:10pm I'm a Billings fan, and reckon he's easily in our best 22
We're all entitled to our opinion here Big Max. 8-)

We all wanted him to succeed but he's been been treading water now for 10 years and his output has been very, very ordinary.
The club invested heavily in him and he's delivered little. On top of that he's had 3 coaches along the way.
Not surprising that others, including Byrnes, get looked at before him by Ross and his coaching staff.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 4:31pm So it looks like Billings is on his way. Will he join the Saints hall of fame list of players whom we let go and who went on to win a premiership medallion at another club?
Maybe.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Exactly right there.

His performances at Sandringham were nothing to rave about. 9 goals from 8 games in a much more inferior competition. Big deal Connors. The senior selection table tells us what Ross thinks of Billings.

Got it in one

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

He didn't look physically like a schoolboy back in 2018 and I doubt he does now

Billings has been held back by pretty serious back issues fir a while now .... if it weren't for that I would say he would be Best 22 easily

Some injuries are easy to recover from .... others like back problems not so much

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 5:51pm

He didn't look physically like a schoolboy back in 2018 and I doubt he does now

Billings has been held back by pretty serious back issues fir a while now .... if it weren't for that I would say he would be Best 22 easily

Some injuries are easy to recover from .... others like back problems not so much
I'm not really a fan so it'll be good to see the back of him, for a fair deal, for us, not for his suitor, if he has one.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think people's expectation of him are way over based on his high draft pick. I'd like to see him back in the team because he is a good player. He's a better player than Gresham no doubt.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

That would be no, nein, non in all spellings ;)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....