Hayes gone again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Hayes gone again

Did his calf in training (remember Paddy), gone for year

Makes the selection less difficult, I guess

Terrible for him, lets hope he gets a clear run in 24

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Club Player

Re: Hayes gone again

Poor bloke. Wretched run.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Not only terrible for him but for us to.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

The report I heard was that he is having an arthroscope on his knee?

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Selhurst Saint wrote: Tue 05 Sep 2023 4:00pm The report I heard was that he is having an arthroscope on his knee?
Yes that is for the long term issue but the calf is what has stopped him playing this week

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Selhurst Saint wrote: Tue 05 Sep 2023 4:00pm The report I heard was that he is having an arthroscope on his knee?
Yes that is for the long term issue but the calf is what has stopped him playing this week

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully not too serious so he can have a decent preseason.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Easy decision to put him on ice for the year. Too fragile to come into finals after 2 years out.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Gave King a rest in the last round at least

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dang! Poor guy can’t take a trick :(
Banger9798 wrote: Tue 05 Sep 2023 5:05pm Gave King a rest in the last round at least
Yeah, he was at least serviceable for that one game.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Shout out to all the posters who like to talk tough about Billings and Jones: "we can't afford to keep porcelain players on our list", etc?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

shattered for the poor guy, and our forward line, he is built for finals and his loss is big and weakens our forward line now.

Rubyjo
Club Player

He ain't going to make it ..was a hit and hope player ..lucky to have got a gig in the first place at his age ..too old and injury prone as a laye starter ..needed to be recruited 8 years ago to have developed the body ..his endeavour was worthy of a best 22 but sadly ..too old . He may be given one more year but that means he's played whay 4 games in 2 or 3 years .. Cooper a better long term option.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 05 Sep 2023 8:21pm Shout out to all the posters who like to talk tough about Billings and Jones: "we can't afford to keep porcelain players on our list", etc?
We contracted Billings, his manager is the one hoping someone else will offer more than a can of coke and a pack of chips, so he can actually play.

Jones gets picked when he is fit.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Both of those players have played around 150 games

Not made of porcelain to achieve that

Thing most on here don’t understand or seem to?

AFL is a combative sport, injuries happen, you can have seasons uninterrupted- you can have seasons ruined!

If you don’t know that, you’ve never played

Both are very good players at their best, especially Billings who has about 40 Brownlow votes and top 5 B&F finishes

At 27 they are still young men

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Here we are about to play finals for the second time in 12 years and posters are obsessed with trades and delistings.

f****** unbelevable.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 06 Sep 2023 6:54pm Both of those players have played around 150 games

AFL is a combative sport, injuries happen, you can have seasons uninterrupted- you can have seasons ruined!

Both are very good players at their best, especially Billings who has about 40 Brownlow votes and top 5 B&F finishes

Jones is at his second club, Billings is searching for his. There are good reasons why.

We will run with a 35 player program and there will be some kids on the back end of that list. Reputations earned prior to 2023 will mean very little.

Both would be handy to have around, yet, Billings is contracted and wants out. I reckon he will stay.

Jones probably won't get a third club but I'd keep him fit and give him a modified program over summer, so he can play bench, sub and emergency. If he comes back out of shape, he'll have a long year at Sandy.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

My point was simply that many fans who continually snark about players who suffer a string of injuries and are consequentially missing for a long period don’t seem to apply the same standard to Hayes. Or, for that matter, to Clark.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Finna
Club Player

Hayes is probably the most overrated player we've had on our list for years. Sure he kicked a few goals here and there but overall he's been average in a very small sample size of games. Not to mention is always injured. Much rather have hammer and/or sharman in the lineup. Hayes wont make it...he's done

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 06 Sep 2023 9:54pm Here we are about to play finals for the second time in 12 years and posters are obsessed with trades and delistings.

f****** unbelevable.
Some people just are. In the same way that others are obsessed with real estate prices, even if they have no intention of buying a house.

It seems to me that there have been hundreds of threads started on SS about how we might be able to trade in this or that player. I can’t recall any of them turning out to be true. Nor can I recall many people predicting any of the trades that did end up happening.

But to each their own. Nobody is forced to read anything on here.

- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 7:32am Hayes is probably the most overrated player we've had on our list for years. Sure he kicked a few goals here and there but overall he's been average in a very small sample size of games. Not to mention is always injured. Much rather have hammer and/or sharman in the lineup. Hayes wont make it...he's done
I don’t know if Hayes will make or or not, but I agree he’s a bit overrated by fans on what we’ve seen so far. Was something of a star in SA though.

Sharman is a bit overrated too IMO. Caminiti is the guy who impressed me. He’s got that comparatively rare ability to reach into a pack and snatch a mark out of the hands of others. And he’s a pretty good kick and can lay a tackle too.

- Jonathan Swift
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 7:38am
Finna wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 7:32am Hayes is probably the most overrated player we've had on our list for years. Sure he kicked a few goals here and there but overall he's been average in a very small sample size of games. Not to mention is always injured. Much rather have hammer and/or sharman in the lineup. Hayes wont make it...he's done
I don’t know if Hayes will make or or not, but I agree he’s a bit overrated by fans on what we’ve seen so far. Was something of a star in SA though.

Sharman is a bit overrated too IMO. Caminiti is the guy who impressed me. He’s got that comparatively rare ability to reach into a pack and snatch a mark out of the hands of others. And he’s a pretty good kick and can lay a tackle too.
I think they should teach Caminiti some ruck craft as he could be the back up we need for Rowan.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 06 Sep 2023 6:54pm Both of those players have played around 150 games

Geez you love Billings. You talk him up like he’s been a superstar for us. Many of his games have been gifted as we have kept hoping he would deliver on his potential. Finally we have a coach who sees through all the BS and wil only play him on merit. He’s had his turn, he can’t deliver consistently, his goal kicking for an ‘elite’ kick is average at best. We were hoping for a bloke who could kick Shannon Grant and field kick like Zac Merrett. We got neither. He’s deadset average

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 07 Sep 2023 7:38am

Longer term you’d think Lyon is thinking Caminiti too, especially if his comments the other night on FC are any indication, Sharman didn’t get a mention.

Hayes will be helpful as a transition type while Ross seeks a bigger sample size from Caminiti over the next 2 or more years but I recon Lyon would love his contested work and loves the rough stuff.

The bottom line is Hayes is the prototype, tough, knows how to clunk a contested mark, doesn’t get rag dolled, can rag doll himself, doesn’t get brushed aside in a ruck contest, can kick a goal. A big loss.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Sharman and Caminiti are totally different players.

Caminiti is your true 200cm power forward, a Tom Hawkins type.
Sharman is more your Bailey Fritsch, Brody Mihocek type.

The former can win you a flag off his own boot.