Yesterday’s umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yesterday’s umpiring

It was more the missed calls than the calls they made that got my goat yesterday.

Here’s a Captain Obvious one that no good maggot Umpire #1 fell blind to yesterday. He should be #2 after being such a POS 💩

https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/video/sa ... nmr4r19c7n

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Yesterday’s umpiring

Sainternist wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 5:49pm It was more the missed calls than the calls they made that got my goat yesterday.

Here’s a Captain Obvious one that no good maggot Umpire #1 fell blind to yesterday. He should be #2 after being such a POS 💩

Gotta say we got away with a few (less obvious but still there) we just did not profit from them as much as the Pumpkins did - usually it was into a pack etc - not to a running free player.

This one however had the cameraman next to me turning off his mic.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I thought that overall it was a 6 out of 10 performance. Not quite a pass mark.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 5:49pm It was more the missed calls than the calls they made that got my goat yesterday.

Totally agree re the ones they didn’t pay ….
Umpires for mine still have way to much influence on games
Everyone knows it’s where you get em and at what point in the game
They magically always seem to even up the ledger late in a game once results are decided with some cheap frees deep in losing teans back half…
I think it’s still an area of our game that struggles

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The first goal GWS kicked was a result of a clear free missed to Crouch in the middle. Had his head taken off umpire chose to ignore it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Big Max
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 5:56pm I thought that overall it was a 6 out of 10 performance. Not quite a pass mark.
Probably about right, but unfortunately Saints performance was only about 5/10, not quite good enough to win a final.

Saint 58
Club Player

Umpires killed us at times but but we not good enough
Hoping the Giants win the flag, AFL will be happy & stops give them concessions & we can move on

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 6:58pm Umpires killed us at times but but we not good enough
Hoping the Giants win the flag, AFL will be happy & stops give them concessions & we can move on
Oh, I’m certainly not blaming the umpires for the loss. Just found them a little frustrating at times. If GWS win the GF from here, I would definitely tip my hat to them.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
older saint
SS Life Member

Didn't effect the result but all 4 games they were rubbish.
'While missed many both ways a couple crucial ones which hurt us were Toby "eye massage" Green gets Wood high in a marking contest - play on lead to goal
and then when had run on tackle in their forward 50 clearly throw the ball , ends up with kelly who kicks a great goal.

Also Boundry umpires if you cant throw the ball that far go like the AFLW and step in. Both Thursday and Sat games i saw as the game went on the throw got shallower . One time thursday the ball hit the ground before rucks got near it. 1 thing that takes physical skill and cant to it

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Sun 10 Sep 2023 6:53pm The first goal GWS kicked was a result of a clear free missed to Crouch in the middle. Had his head taken off umpire chose to ignore it.
Absolutely correct. And best we not mention the out of bounds missed by two boundary umpire in the last quarter. Video footage of that howler might prove distressing to their guide dogs.

Saint supporter since '62
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Nick Haynes kick to the boundary and the non 50 to King when Sam Taylor pushed him into the turf well after he took the mark were particularly galling.

While King kicked the goal, how they missed that infringement is beyond me. What were the umpires looking at?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 12:52am The Nick Haynes kick to the boundary and the non 50 to King when Sam Taylor pushed him into the turf well after he took the mark were particularly galling.

While King kicked the goal, how they missed that infringement is beyond me. What were the umpires looking at?
I thought exactly the same as you about King not getting a 50m penalty but I watched the replay Sunday afternoon.

King took the mark and turned towards Taylor and punches him or hits him first with an open palm. That's why Taylor reacted the way he did. I'm assuming that the umpire saw both incidents and called it a nil all draw.

In a way, I'm glad King wasn't given the 50. I'm glad for his sake that he earnt the kick (with a good contested mark) and he slotted the goal. It's better for his confidence.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

For me there were several shocking non decisions that favoured GWS.

One was when Max's arm was being held. Other times we had our players taken high in tackles and it wasn't called.

Other times GWS got caught holding the footy or for incorrect disposals and the umpires ignored it

lewdogs
Club Player

The umpiring was absolutely abysmal. After the goal shown above there was another throw missed in the centre that led to a goal. It's like they didn't want to be influenced by the crowd so would let it go a lot when our players were held or taken high.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Was the 50 against us that cost us a goal actually there? Looked like it was paid for moving after being called to stand. Couldn't tell from the ground.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 11 Sep 2023 7:46am Was the 50 against us that cost us a goal actually there? Looked like it was paid for moving after being called to stand. Couldn't tell from the ground.
Not really - but Higgins was in the protected zone think he was the mark - as soon as he realised he turned to run out - but at the same time was pinged - a case could be made for the umpire re-setting - as there were clearer instances that the 50 was not paid - see Hunter in the middle for example.

That being said - i think that 50 was only a formality - and changed who kicked the goal - probably would have been a Pumpkin goal anyway

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
wally
Club Player

One other thing that annoys me is the expert commentators never call it out or don’t explain how they come at that decision they just rattle of their self gratifying dribble ..Although I think Richie does quietly and get talked over

wally
Club Player

Meant to be Richo not Richie

Bowey Boy
Club Player

The AFL don't like it when umpires are called out. You can rest assured that the commentators and all involved on the broadcast are well versed in protecting them and talking down any "incidents".

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I noticed the commentators pick and choose what umpiring decisions they question.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The ball looked to clearly go over the boundary forward of their wing at one point . The GWS player just carried on of course and promptly set up a shot at goal. (Missed) But then the rebound from kick in went awry which resulted in a GWS free and 5 penalty that delivered another goal.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

A lot of double posts lately

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

That's double as in twoooo

2 for twenty twooooo

Thank you Richie

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Umpiring didn't affect the result but there were some truly surreal moments that made you completely uncertain as to might be coming next:

Two totally unnecessary score reviews. One where everyone in the ground could see that it was a behind to GWS and couldn't possibly be anything else. The other was the Hill goal which missed the post by a good foot which could be seen clearly from the other end of the ground.

GWS player runs towards our right back pocket, takes the ball out of bounds and boundary umpire, perfectly positioned, doesn't see it.

Ball kicked out of bounds on the full in our left back pocket. Seb picks it up to take the free kick. Boundary umpire calls a throw in.

Too numerous to mention incorrect disposals that go ignored by the umpires. This has been going on for weeks but on Saturday we were punished 2 or 3 times as a result.

Our supporters seemed to be strangely fatalistic about all this.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

…was s***..