The undeclared but obvious injury toll

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The undeclared but obvious injury toll

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1031444/sta ... pre-season

Steele - Ankle
Wood - Shoulder and collarbone (since round 3)
Crouch - Knee and thumb
Butler - Ankle
Howard - Finger (in addition to the wrist)

Then obviously King with the well publicised shoulder.

It was blatantly obvious Steele had something going on and Wood wasn't the same since the game against Essendon. Crouch's impact in the second half of the season was greatly reduced too.

The positive sign is that our young brigade appears to have a clean bill of health.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: The undeclared but obvious injury toll

For those who have been getting stuck into Steele all year, here is your moment to reflect

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure that Crouch was all that badly affected by his injuries. He averaged 27 disposals and 6 tackles per game for the year, with some of his biggest hauls occuring in the back half of the season (including 26 disposals and 17 tackles against the Eagles in Rd 16 and 31 disposals and 9 tackles against Carlton in Rd 21): during which time he also displayed a greater attacking flair than we had seen from him previously.

I think his relatively poor performance in the Elimination Final was perhaps due more to the disturbing news about Membrey.

Anyway, if his off-season surgery means he comes back stronger in 2024, that's great news: I reckon he's our most underrated player.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Crouch definitely had a quieter second half of the season.

Polled votes on here in 9 out of 14 games at the start of the season, then only 3 in the next 10.

I should say I don't expect an ankle to do that to a player though, usually jab them up and away you go.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 4:08pm For those who have been getting stuck into Steele all year, here is your moment to reflect
Once your jabbed up and declare yourself fit there are no excuses, especially if you are the Captain. Needs to adjust the way he plays and be first to the ball more rather than be second to the contest with a tackle. No doubt Lyon's comments about him needing to light up games more is reflective of Lyon wanting him to add that attribute to his game.

I think Lyon will change Captains in the off season.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 5:30pm Crouch definitely had a quieter second half of the season.

Polled votes on here in 9 out of 14 games at the start of the season, then only 3 in the next 10.

I should say I don't expect an ankle to do that to a player though, usually jab them up and away you go.
I regularly highlighted some of Brad's weaknesses in the first half of the year when others were thinking he was flying.

It was a long and hard fought campaign here on Saintsational to discredit Crouch and have him replaced in the side by Jack Bytel...

I failed :( :oops:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 5:55pm
I think Lyon will change Captains in the off season.
I got Crouch/Bytel wrong...there's another wrong call for you

I'll add it to your list in February next year

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't I telling you 2 years ago Bytel wasn't going to make it

Also said Crouch will win the TB medal before R1.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The 'no excuses ' line is just tough guy talk. The reality is entirely different. Some injuries really affect a player's ability to be at his best. You don't need to be a rocket surgeon to work that out

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The elephant in the room is that we're not the only club affected by it.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 7:02pm Wasn't I telling you 2 years ago Bytel wasn't going to make it

Vort, you’re absolutely brilliant. Just how you make such accurate predictions with such precision.

Can you do me a favour? Tell us when the Saints are going to win their next Premiership. I don’t want to be swanning around Europe and miss the big game.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 7:26pm The 'no excuses ' line is just tough guy talk. The reality is entirely different. Some injuries really affect a player's ability to be at his best. You don't need to be a rocket surgeon to work that out
As a rocket surgeon I'm with Ross, he needs to light it up towards goals, being first to the ball could help in that regard and I'd be surprised if doesn't relinquish the Captaincy to someone else so he can focus on improving that aspect of his game.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 7:50pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 7:02pm Wasn't I telling you 2 years ago Bytel wasn't going to make it

Vort, you’re absolutely brilliant. Just how you make such accurate predictions with such precision.

Can you do me a favour? Tell us when the Saints are going to win their next Premiership. I don’t want to be swanning around Europe and miss the big game.
Thankyou and you're welcome, 2032 is the year, Harvey will be 3 years into his coaching tenure by that stage having taken over from Ross after 6 years in charge.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 8:13pm
happy feet wrote: Thu 14 Sep 2023 7:50pm

Thankyou and you're welcome, 2032 is the year, Harvey will be 3 years into his coaching tenure by that stage having taken over from Ross after 6 years in charge.
Excellent, I plan to have all my travel ambitions done by then.

Any chance of Saturday’s lotto numbers?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Just don't ask him for a free pint of lager

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!