Stocker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Stocker

As a draftee Liam was touted as the best midfielder in the draft. Despite his own admission of needing to increase his endurance. I like him off half back, however could see him very successful at half forward with short bursts in the guts. Make him run the pre-season Ross
What do you think?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stocker

footynut wrote: Sat 14 Oct 2023 11:16pm As a draftee Liam was touted as the best midfielder in the draft. Despite his own admission of needing to increase his endurance. I like him off half back, however could see him very successful at half forward with short bursts in the guts. Make him run the pre-season Ross
What do you think?
I have always thought he was a potential midfielder more than anything, and still do. Don't know what Lyon thinks though :roll:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

He and Clark are in the same boat. Not fit enough for a serious run through the midfield. But they could certainly both rotate through half back and between them you've got a decent setup.

At some point fitness is less about motivation and drive, and more about genetics. I fear it's the latter for these two.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Clearly has work to do to remain an AFL footballer. He is literally fighting for his career next season.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross has him pigeonholed - he does that!

I think he could add some grunt at stoppage - he’s a powerful lad

Sanctorum
Club Player

The good thing is that Stocker has only been given another year to cement his place in the team on a regular basis.

It's well known that Ross Lyon holds his players to account so I would think Stocker will bust his arse to improve his fitness and endurance in the off-season because he certainly has the skill set required to play at the elite level as a midfielder.

With Paddy Dow and Liam Henry coming into the squad in 2024 competition for hard running, fierce tackling mids will be really hot, that's really exciting!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 15 Oct 2023 8:50am Clearly has work to do to remain an AFL footballer. He is literally fighting for his career next season.
Stocker is way overrated on this forum IMO.
Tough, dependable, doesn't panic with reasonable skills he is well suited to a lock down defensive role.

But he is not quick, not great laterally and has nowhere near the running capacity of a decent AFL midfielder, nowhere near it at all.
In fact I'd rate Bytel a better endurance athlete than Stocker.

With our current midfield of Crouch, Ross, Steele, Clark we don't need another slow mid who doesn't have high end endurance.

A one year extension IMO shows the decision makers think he has upside and worth working with but has a way to go at this stage.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Stocker for me looked like he was struggling for fitness by the end of the season - he looked like he had become too heavy and sluggish in his movement. I think he is a player that needs to be mindful of his weight and how much he does in the gym. Having said that he plays with a bit of aggression and flys the flag for his team mates when required.

His earlier games were much better than his end of season, so I can understand supporters dropping off him a bit. Lets see how he goes next year after another solid preseason and the management of his body throughout the year.