Training - Monday December 11

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

Training - Monday December 11

Despite slippery conditions, the players skill level today was of a very good standard, chalk and cheese to this time last year.
Darcy Wilson is so impressive, combining speed and endurance with an elite vertical leap & one grab marking.
Henry and Dow have seamlessly adapted to their new club, with Henry show real speed and class.
Phillipou looks ready to take a leap in impact, impressing with his kicking, marking and athleticism.
Windhager also looks ready to become a more impactful player and looks a bit more explosive!
When given an opportunity, Shoenmaker will excite supporters with his elite kicking, as Will Collard with his speed and quick lateral movement.
There were several Sandringham players trying today, which will no doubt help not only their development but also their feeling of being a part of the big picture.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Re: Training - Monday December 11

Thanks SaintMike. Very insightful!

Big Max
Club Player

Thanks SaintMike.

So if Wilson, Dow and Henry are good enough to line up in our season opener, who makes way?

Gresham's spot is the only (really) one available.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It’s wierd

Pou seems like a veteran, having played every game last year. Compared to h new names.

-and he’s stil only 18!!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Big Max wrote: Mon 11 Dec 2023 5:57pm Thanks SaintMike.

So if Wilson, Dow and Henry are good enough to line up in our season opener, who makes way?

My team would be based on this

B - Wilkie, Howard/Cordy (preference Howard), Webster/Stocker (preference Webster)

HB - NWM, Battle, Sinclair

C - Hill, Dow, Wood

HF - Phillipou, Membrey/Sharman (preference Membrey), Butler

F - Higgins, King, Owens

Fol - Marshall, Crouch, Steele

Bench - Clark (Mid inside rotation), Wilson or Ross (Mid outside rotation), Henry (Forward rotation), Windhager (Backline Rotation)

Sub - Ross or Wilson

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the report. Sounding promising for next season

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Another report off Big Footy:

“Not a whole lot to add to saintsmike65's excellent post(not posted were some ramblings also about a missing hat.....go figure......lol)

One can only wonder what George's PM report contains to his almost "Mason's" group was......lol.

It was a very very soggy Moorabbin this morning.......fantastic if you were a duck........vast sheets of water were on the supplementary training oval next to Rsea Park.

The surface on the main ground held up extremely well.

As Tyrian stated earlier........most kicks and handballs hit their targets despite the slippery conditions.....very impressive to say the least.

One drill had all the players in position over the ground......on que..... every player moved in the same direction....can't recall seeing that before......not sure what that was all about.

It was "hands on heart" stuff when Tim went up the ramp with a trainer and went thru the "double doors of doom"

Thankfully he was back on the track 20 mins later.

Keeler nearly pulled off some incredible pick ups off the deck......you just thought...wow.......the greasy conditions didn't quite let it happen.

As saintmike stated......with Wilson.....you just can't help but think he'll be a player........his kicking at times is subline and I really noticed today the distance he can get for a guy of his build.....he took an awesome mark also.

I keep thinking it but Garcia(Hammer light) is a smaller clone of the Hammer....the likeness is uncanny.

A special shout out(again) for Darcy Wilson's size 47 shorts......I'm sure he's channeling his inner Eddie Betts.

Mind you.......Arie's shorts also would be consuming large quantities of fabric....lol.

Speaking of Arie......he had 2 shots at goal....on the boundary at the 50 ish mark on either side of the ground......he nailed both.”

Saintmike65
Club Player

Our round 1 team shouldn’t be based on last season…match sim and practice matches should be the criteria of picking the team, obviously excluding the automatic selections.
Of the side that played in the final, Membrey, Jones, Dow, Henry, Wilson & Howard would come into consideration.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think the team round 1 will be all about the gameplan. Best 22 doesn't necessarily automatically mean selected 22.

We will play those with attributes to execute the gameplan, whatever that may be, but hint are speed and footskills are key.

I don't think it will be popular with supporters, and good players will miss out.

Big Max
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Mon 11 Dec 2023 6:57pm
Big Max wrote: Mon 11 Dec 2023 5:57pm Thanks SaintMike.

My team would be based on this

B - Wilkie, Howard/Cordy (preference Howard), Webster/Stocker (preference Webster)

C - Hill, Dow, Wood

HF - Phillipou, Membrey/Sharman (preference Membrey), Butler

F - Higgins, King, Owens

Bench - Clark (Mid inside rotation), Wilson or Ross (Mid outside rotation), Henry (Forward rotation), Windhager (Backline Rotation)

Sub - Ross or Wilson
Thanks GreatZac,

Like this line-up a lot. Our backs are settled, the midfield looks a bit quicker and sharper, and that forward line is more balanced with talls, with Higgins and Butler the only smalls, compared to last year when Gresham may have been one-small-too-many.

There's not an obvious 2nd ruck. Whilst he does a great job, I get a bit nervous with Owens in the ruck. It would be great if Keeler or Caminiti could warrant selection.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I agree Big Max, but who do you drop for the ruck backup? I think it has to be the CHF position (Membrey/Sharman).

I also think Henry misses out on a bench spot in place of Membrey/Sharman who rotates through with the ruck relief to allow Marshall to spend time on the bench.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Keeler will.push straight passed Heath in the VFL IF they decide to ruck him seriously.

He is a dangerous player and will cause all sorts of structure problems if he takes the third tall forward/ruck position we don't have yet.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Mon 11 Dec 2023 8:26pm I agree Big Max, but who do you drop for the ruck backup? I think it has to be the CHF position (Membrey/Sharman).

I also think Henry misses out on a bench spot in place of Membrey/Sharman who rotates through with the ruck relief to allow Marshall to spend time on the bench.
I agree too.

I don’t agree on Henry missing out. I don’t think you understand he’s like the next Bobby Hill. Can win us games.

I think move off Wilson to the sub. Bring Keeler in and move Henry as the outside mid rotation and put Keeler as the forward rotation.

footynut
Club Player

Pick the round 1 team at this stage is extremely difficult. But here we go (basically based off media hype):

Wilkie, Howard, Windhager

C - Henry, Dow, Wood

HF - Owens, Sharman Hill

F - Butler, King, Membrey

Bench - Clark (Mid/Back rotation), Jones (Mid rotation), Stocker (Backline Rotation), Wilson (Mid/Forward rotation

Sub - Ross

footynut
Club Player

Oops forgot Phillipou. This is tough

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Geeez… it all feels great at the moment doesn’t it.

I feel a lot of optimism at the moment… most I’ve felt for some time.

Feels like we’ve recruited well again. Dow and Henry seem like they’ve slotted right into the top 22 and Wilson is shaping up as the recruit of the decade a long side Pou who the reports are consistently saying is about to go up a level. Really excited for 2024

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Pou tried to attack the ball last year, wasn't near it enough, but he will get his own regularly, eventually, and could break open tight games, but with him looking leaner but stronger, we might find him moving forward from the peripheral more, he can hit the sponsors boards from the 50, he can leap, he can run all day and he has a decent 20m for his height.
Last year he just seemed so prone to standing ground, in the heat, ready to use quick hands.

Steele Crouch Clark and Windy should go in and under, let's see if Jones, Phillipou, Owens, and Wilson can take it away.

Hill, NWM, Wood, Sinclair, Henry and Garcia can run lanes and drive off stoppages.

It looks exciting on paper, looks impressive on the track, it's a good feeling.

I'm just as keen to see King establish himself as a gun and if Keeler look as good unwrapped as he does under the Xmas tree. He is the one we want to be a hit the most, IMHO. heath and Caminiti don't compare in X factor. Caminiti will probably out work him, but Heath won't.

If Keeler can ruck before he hits 20, we aren't far off. He will smash 3rd tall in the AFL. the most versatile defender will have to follow him.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote: Mon 11 Dec 2023 9:34pm Pick the round 1 team at this stage is extremely difficult. But here we go (basically based off media hype):

Wilkie, Howard, Windhager

C - Henry, Dow, Wood

HF - Owens, Sharman Hill

F - Butler, King, Membrey

Bench - Clark (Mid/Back rotation), Jones (Mid rotation), Stocker (Backline Rotation), Wilson (Mid/Forward rotation

Sub - Ross
They won't go with that forward line. No Higgins (unless Wilson takes that role which means he'll start), it's either Membrey OR Sharman. Windhager is not a back pocket - Webster/Stocker is that.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Saintmike65
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Mon 11 Dec 2023 8:26pm I agree Big Max, but who do you drop for the ruck backup? I think it has to be the CHF position (Membrey/Sharman).

If you went to training you wouldn’t even consider leaving Henry out, he’s been outstanding…a lock for a wing spot opposite Wood.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 12 Dec 2023 2:15am Pou tried to attack the ball last year, wasn't near it enough, but he will get his own regularly, eventually, and could break open tight games, but with him looking leaner but stronger, we might find him moving forward from the peripheral more, he can hit the sponsors boards from the 50, he can leap, he can run all day and he has a decent 20m for his height.
Last year he just seemed so prone to standing ground, in the heat, ready to use quick hands.

Steele Crouch Clark and Windy should go in and under, let's see if Jones, Phillipou, Owens, and Wilson can take it away.

Hill, NWM, Wood, Sinclair, Henry and Garcia can run lanes and drive off stoppages.

I'm just as keen to see King establish himself as a gun and if Keeler look as good unwrapped as he does under the Xmas tree. He is the one we want to be a hit the most, IMHO. heath and Caminiti don't compare in X factor. Caminiti will probably out work him, but Heath won't.

If Keeler can ruck before he hits 20, we aren't far off. He will smash 3rd tall in the AFL. the most versatile defender will have to follow him.
On Keeler, why is it that Keeler might be capable of becoming an AFL grade ruckman by the age of 20 but at the age of 21 Heath is still considered to be too young and is protected from expectation with the excuse he is in fact "still too young" as big men take longer to "develop".

Not having a go CQ but merely raising the topic for discussion as it's one of those fascinating characteristics of the AFL landscape.

Personally I have thought for some time there is no scientific basis for the claim because physiologically speaking shouldn't "big men" be capable of developing at the same rate as "small men"?

There seems to be many examples that prove the theory too where big men have jumped out of the blocks at an early age to become bonafide stars before they hit their 20s.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 12 Dec 2023 7:53am
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 12 Dec 2023 2:15am Pou tried to attack the ball last year, wasn't near it enough, but he will get his own regularly, eventually, and could break open tight games, but with him looking leaner but stronger, we might find him moving forward from the peripheral more, he can hit the sponsors boards from the 50, he can leap, he can run all day and he has a decent 20m for his height.

On Keeler, why is it that Keeler might be capable of becoming an AFL grade ruckman by the age of 20 but at the age of 21 Heath is still considered to be too young and is protected from expectation with the excuse he is in fact "still too young" as big men take longer to "develop".

Not having a go CQ but merely raising the topic for discussion as it's one of those fascinating characteristics of the AFL landscape.

Personally I have thought for some time there is no scientific basis for the claim because physiologically speaking shouldn't "big men" be capable of developing at the same rate as "small men"?

There seems to be many examples that prove the theory too where big men have jumped out of the blocks at an early age to become bonafide stars before they hit their 20s.
Go watch a 20 year old Paddy Ryder.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I didn't ask him to be a bonafide star, he just has to ruck.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He plays Fwd, like a fwd already. Moose is a 5th goal post.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Hayes, Battle, Caminiti and Sharman can ruck.