Training Wednesday 13th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Training Wednesday 13th

Group drills

Full ground drill

Running

Notes
Marshall is absolute quality, along with Sincs probably the best player on the list

Hill phenomenal trainer

Seb Ross in close has unbelievable hands, will be very hard to dislodge from the team - great leadership, smart and clean with good vision.

Hunter Clark finally looks fit

NWM - they need to measure him again- great skills

Dow is very good at stoppage - powers out of it

Paton trained with the mids

Phillipou is training the house down

Owens, King, Caminiti, O’Connell, Van Es
Running laps

No Steele Or Campbell

Good session

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training Wednesday 13th

I posted during the past season that Paton could be trialled through the midfield as that's where he played as a junior. Not sure he's got what it takes to be a full time midfielder but he does have some speed and great foot skills.

happy feet
Club Player

Thanks for the report B.M, I appreciate them and I’m sure many others do too.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The only role I could see for Paton in the midfield is as a tagger.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

No injuries

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Ollie Hotton back in main training out of the rehab group. Him and Dow have seriously fast hands and are both very pacy from a standing start out of a stoppage. Much quicker than Steele and Crouch (Ross is fast in a straight line out the front)

It might be a left footer thing but Riley Bonner and Arie's left pegs are weapons of beauty. The footy just gets to where it's being aimed quicker than the rest.

Crouch, Membrey and Butler all off to the pool after the first 15 mins quick alternate hands drill under the supervision of D Carroll.

First time I've seen Collard. He's a light bodied whippet. If he gets tackled and/or bumped/buried ... he may not wake up. That said - he's definitely got some real agility about him and once he finds his feet - he's going to make some small defenders look silly.

I think Hammer has been on the same chest/shoulders/arms diet that Pou and Owens are on. He's definitely put some decent size on that big frame of his. Still a whole head shorter than Max but that new body shape with his natural aggression will make for some spicy match ups.

Watching Liam Henry train makes me smile on the inside knowing how Peter Bell dicked us in the Hill/Acres trade. We're going to get 10 years of silk from him and he's cost us a pittance.

FInally - Darcy Wilson. His running really is a pisstake. He's so natural and so fast - he flat-out floats/glides. And he's a very effective kick to boot.

Go you red, black & white warriors
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Midfield
Players who can roll through inside the square
Steele
Crouch
Dow
Ross
Clark
Phillipou
Owens
Windhager
Jones
Sinclair

Outside
Henry
Wood
Hill
Byrnes
Wilson
Garcia

Running defenders
Sinclair
NWM
Webster
Bonner
Stocker
Paton
Hastie

Small Forwards
Butler
Higgins
Collard

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 3:31pm
I think Hammer has been on the same chest/shoulders/arms diet that Pou and Owens are on. He's definitely put some decent size on that big frame of his. Still a whole head shorter than Max but that new body shape with his natural aggression will make for some spicy match ups.
This excites me, our forward line needs some muscle and aggression strutting around making the opposition think twice about what space they move into.

NickyDal
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 4:02pm
This excites me, our forward line needs some muscle and aggression strutting around making the opposition think twice about what space they move into.
I'm not convinced with Caminiti. I think he will have a similar career to Justin Koschitzke. He will tease us without ever becoming an "A" grader. Just like Kosi, he is too clumsy IMHO. I hope I am wrong....

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 4:08pm I'm not convinced with Caminiti. I think he will have a similar career to Justin Koschitzke. He will tease us without ever becoming an "A" grader. Just like Kosi, he is too clumsy IMHO. I hope I am wrong....
Kosi could have been a defender. Caminiti the same.

The best teams in recent history always have the best defenders. Darcy Moore, Harris Andrews, May/Lever, Sam Taylor. It's the reason the Bulldogs have been shite lately.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If an SSP player plays 200 games kicks 200odd goals

Plays in 3 GFs

Kicks 50 in a season, gets double figure Brownlow votes in a season

I’d be about that

Kosi was a good player

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Kosi was coward poleaxed by a dog act that went inexplicably unpunished, like the hit on Hunter by the snivelling Crow was waived through.
A great talent and brave was Kosi.
BTW, saying best teams have good defences is chicken/egg logic. How does it follow that a natural forward should be shape shifted to be a defender.
Moore is a failed forward, May and Lever don't have the nous to be forwards, let AC develop before trying to ruin him, eh.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 4:08pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 4:02pm
I'm not convinced with Caminiti. I think he will have a similar career to Justin Koschitzke. He will tease us without ever becoming an "A" grader. Just like Kosi, he is too clumsy IMHO. I hope I am wrong....

the difference being Kosi was pick 1, and Camniti was preseason, pick 100, what ever we get out of him, is a straight bonus.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Exactly. If Caminiti ends up being an average player who plays 150 games it will still be one of the great bargains.

He's clever at ground level. Has great awareness in congestion. He's not just a mark and kick guy. I've liked what I've seen so far.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Ross is certainly talking about Caminiti in the same breath as Owens, Windhager, Mattaes and Nasiah.

Holds him in high regard, possibly higher than King.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ollie Hotton doesn't seem to be in many conversations so I'm glad his name has been mentioned in this thread. I've got a feeling people will be talking about him a lot in about 8 months time. He's very quick, has nice evasion, can jump really high, and as mentioned, has sharp hands. He's almost been forgotten in all the excitement around our young prospects.

I'm really confident about this guy

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 5:11pm Ross is certainly talking about Caminiti in the same breath as Owens, Windhager, Mattaes and Nasiah.

I doubt he has a higher regard for Caminiti

saint4life
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 5:27pm
Otiman wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 5:11pm Ross is certainly talking about Caminiti in the same breath as Owens, Windhager, Mattaes and Nasiah.

Watch the presser

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 5:34pm

Watch the presser
He loves the Hammer.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 5:34pm

Watch the presser
Have

saint4life
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 4:29pm If an SSP player plays 200 games kicks 200odd goals

Plays in 3 GFs

Kicks 50 in a season, gets double figure Brownlow votes in a season

I’d be about that

Kosi was a good player
Took the words right out of my mouth.

He may not have gone on to be the superstar he teased us as in that 05 purple patch… but Kosi was also pretty fantastic in the 09-10 patch too.

Very underrated player IMO

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 5:15pm Ollie Hotton doesn't seem to be in many conversations so I'm glad his name has been mentioned in this thread. I've got a feeling people will be talking about him a lot in about 8 months time. He's very quick, has nice evasion, can jump really high, and as mentioned, has sharp hands. He's almost been forgotten in all the excitement around our young prospects.

I'm really confident about this guy
Yeah I get it.

Watching his recruit videos last year, he was my early pick as the one that would be the best of the bunch… now evidently that is shaping up to be a good class (so to speak) and we’ve all kind of forgotten about him with his injury… but geez he has some tools

Saintmike65
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 3:31pm Ollie Hotton back in main training out of the rehab group. Him and Dow have seriously fast hands and are both very pacy from a standing start out of a stoppage. Much quicker than Steele and Crouch (Ross is fast in a straight line out the front)

It might be a left footer thing but Riley Bonner and Arie's left pegs are weapons of beauty. The footy just gets to where it's being aimed quicker than the rest.

Crouch, Membrey and Butler all off to the pool after the first 15 mins quick alternate hands drill under the supervision of D Carroll.

First time I've seen Collard. He's a light bodied whippet. If he gets tackled and/or bumped/buried ... he may not wake up. That said - he's definitely got some real agility about him and once he finds his feet - he's going to make some small defenders look silly.

Watching Liam Henry train makes me smile on the inside knowing how Peter Bell dicked us in the Hill/Acres trade. We're going to get 10 years of silk from him and he's cost us a pittance.

FInally - Darcy Wilson. His running really is a pisstake. He's so natural and so fast - he flat-out floats/glides. And he's a very effective kick to boot.
It’s going to be a great time trial post Christmas with Hill, Wood & Wilson up against each other.
Hill and Wood didn’t do it earlier this month!

Saintmike65
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 13 Dec 2023 3:43pm Midfield
Players who can roll through inside the square
Steele
Crouch
Dow
Ross
Clark
Phillipou
Owens
Windhager
Jones
Sinclair

Outside
Henry
Wood
Hill
Byrnes
Wilson
Garcia

Running defenders
Sinclair
NWM
Webster
Bonner
Stocker
Paton
Hastie

Small Forwards
Butler
Higgins
Collard

Hotton?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Agree.

I think RTB was very impressed with how Caminiti performed early last season considering where he had come from. He talked about this a few times during last season. Did he even have a pre season? He was always going to struggle in the second half of the year. Reckon he has high expectations from him and that he is part of that future brigade he mentioned.

King is a different story. Hopefully, they complement each other going forward.

On a related note, can King, Membrey, Sharman, Caminiti, Owens and Phillipou all play in the same forward line? Someone has to miss out.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.