Howe do we grab an extra FRDP for next year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NickyDal
Club Player

Howe do we grab an extra FRDP for next year?

This year we got one by allowing Greh to leave via FA. I want another one again in 2024 so we can keep adding young guns to our core group. Should we trade out a player that has currency or do we bring a future pick into the equation? A star FA would be good too but whoever that was would be 26 years old and not really part of the core young guns.

Thoughts?

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Howe do we grab an extra FRDP for next year?

The only player eligible for free agency at the end of next year with currency would be Battle.

As far as other players, everyone has a price, but there's a good chance anyone with trade currency we wouldn't depart with.

If we put the cue in the rack for the next 3 years, next year is the only time we will get something for Steele, Marshall, or Sinclair.

This list is worth reading - from potential FA's to those who might go elsewhere.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out ... ?year=2024

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 1:12pm

Thoughts?
I think the club next year will be doing its best to acquire a Free Agent or two. So will not gain any FA Compo picks.

And nothing wrong with grabbing a good 26 year old next year. We now have quite a young list with the majority of players capable of playing many years if they are good enough. A 26 year old gained next year could last 5 or more seasons.

Max King will turn 24 next year, and we now have 27 players who have not yet turned 26.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Should be able to make a bid for Bailey Smith, his hair and that young Coffield lad?

Saints58
Club Player

Maybe we should see what we get for Battle as a FA
He can be replaced with Dougal, Cordy and the young guys in Van es and Schoenmaker Plus we might be able to pick a KPD with our picks anyway but it gives us a few more options if we get a pick for Battle.

NickyDal
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 5:51pm

Thoughts?
I think the club next year will be doing its best to acquire a Free Agent or two. So will not gain any FA Compo picks.

And nothing wrong with grabbing a good 26 year old next year. We now have quite a young list with the majority of players capable of playing many years if they are good enough. A 26 year old gained next year could last 5 or more seasons.

Max King will turn 24 next year, and we now have 27 players who have not yet turned 26.
Getting Free Agents is a poisoned chalice (sometimes). Yes it would be great to get a couple but at what cost? I think the "right" time to nab a FA is when you are a top 4 team first. Then you can top up with FA's to win a flag. If we were to get a couple of FA's next year we would blow up our salary cap and then run the risk of young guns not being happy and leaving.

I think we need to keep hitting the draft for another 3 years before we attempt to bring in FA's. I hate to shoot Bambi but we should have traded Ross a couple of years ago when he had currency. Too late now.....

NeXus Nick
NickyDal
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 6:41pm Maybe we should see what we get for Battle as a FA
He can be replaced with Dougal, Cordy and the young guys in Van es and Schoenmaker Plus we might be able to pick a KPD with our picks anyway but it gives us a few more options if we get a pick for Battle.
I personally would not want to lose Battle.

NeXus Nick
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

IMO Battle is a candidate for AA squad selection if he improves again as much as he did last year.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Duplicate post.
Last edited by Otiman on Mon 18 Dec 2023 8:54am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 6:49pm

Thoughts?

Getting Free Agents is a poisoned chalice (sometimes). Yes it would be great to get a couple but at what cost? I think the "right" time to nab a FA is when you are a top 4 team first. Then you can top up with FA's to win a flag. If we were to get a couple of FA's next year we would blow up our salary cap and then run the risk of young guns not being happy and leaving.

I think we need to keep hitting the draft for another 3 years before we attempt to bring in FA's. I hate to shoot Bambi but we should have traded Ross a couple of years ago when he had currency. Too late now.....

Not all FA's are expensive.

Membrey and Roberton were absolute bargains.

Crouch not that expensive.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 17 Dec 2023 8:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We had a sizeable clean out this year, so I can't see a lot of list changes next year. You have to give time for our youngsters to be properly assessed.

At the older end of the scale we only have Campbell on the fringes.

We have very little value for trading players out for picks.

I suspect we will go to the draft with our current hand and if we are desperate for an additional first rounder because we fancy a particular player we'll have to sacrifice a pick from our 2025 draft hand.

When you go through the current list it's really hard to identify 5 players you could justifiably jettison at the end of 2024.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Giving up good players for draft picks isn’t smart business

Unless that player wants out

Basically we got Collard for Gresham

No guarantees Collard will be as good as Gresham or even be an AFL player

Billings we got shafted on

Coffield a former pick 8 turned into pick 40

We made out like bandits with Dow and Henry

Draft picks do not on there own give success

You need FAs, Trades, SSPs, Rookies, Mid Season picks
Every avenue must be utilised

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If Battle goes anywhere, it will be for big bickies or he won't go.

He still has more to give and this year it would be a great time to step it up.p, again.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If he goes, it will be a good trade.

NickyDal
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 8:41pm

Thoughts?

Membrey was a delisted FA because they wanted to give Goodes another year :mrgreen: Roberton I can't quite remember but I think he too was a delisted FA. That's different kettle of fish to landing a huge FA.

NeXus Nick
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 9:47pm
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 17 Dec 2023 8:41pm

Thoughts?

Membrey was a delisted FA because they wanted to give Goodes another year :mrgreen: Roberton I can't quite remember but I think he too was a delisted FA. That's different kettle of fish to landing a huge FA.

It is, but I never mentioned a huge FA.

"I think the club next year will be doing its best to acquire a Free Agent or two. So will not gain any FA Compo picks."

While I am sure that they will be on the lookup for a huge FA, they will also be looking to improve our best 22 by anyway possible.

Dow and Henry improve our best 22 And possibly Bonner too , and if nor he certainly improves our depth.

I would tend to think that they want to be in position to win a flag within the next 4 seasons, and so I personally would see picking up some 26 year olds in the next trade period as very much adding to the core of players who can do that.

Of our current list we have culled so much that agewise only a handful are now too old if success is say within a 4 years timeframe. Of these older players some are certainly best 22 worthy for some years yet. Some are only depth now, some are about to get squeezed out, and some will have their bodies fail them.

OUR OLDSTERS (most of whom are not old)

TC is back up will be gone after this season.
Ross may have a year or two left, but will probably get squeezed out.
Webster still plays well, but plays hard and so I think his body will fail him.
Hill is a physical freak and could go on past 4 more seasons.
Crouch may get squeezed out by quicker mids eventually
Membrey is obviously a question mark, but 4 years is unlikely.
Sincs is pure class, and is so professional that I would be surprised if he did not play 4 more years.
Jones. Who knows. May be gone after one year.
Roma and Steele both have years left.
Hayes is a huge question mark.

The rest are all young enough to play 4 years if they are good enough. Some will be culled. Cordy I think will be depth. Allison lucky to be playing next year.

So with our list, it will all be about getting in players who play one position better that someone we already have. This to me means not just chasing young kids, but continuing on with with a good mix of incoming players some of whom are ready to play, and others who will be kids developed over years.

This will hopefully build a team who can be Top 4 competitive over a sustained period.

If you look to the 2025 season one would hope that Wilson, Hotton, Keeler would all be developed enough to best 22 worthy. Possibly Caminiti and Van Ess. And with some of the other youngsters being worthy enough for some games.

Ruck. The Club has to be giving some serious thought to gaining another ruckman. TC will be gone in a year, and Heath may never get the tank that a modern ruckman needs. We need someone to play if Roma goes down. Keeler may be a good chop out ruck playing as a forward/ruck, but he is not likely to be a No1 Ruck. Bringing in an 18 year old ruck in the next draft is not likely to help us in the 3 years after that to win a flag.

The club may trade to gain just the right player too, if they are deemed to be a vital component of making our best 22 better.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think we should just hold onto our natural draft picks to ensure we're still bringing in a steady stream of young talent and go after FA's who cost nothing but cap space.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Battle is already attracting interest from other clubs, so expect his asking price to be pushed up. Unless we have a ready made replacement I cant see how we can afford to lose him. Howard is nothing more than a full back, Cordy is not the answer and the other listed options are a way off being ready.

So unless our kids explode next year and push out senior players, I cant see how we pick up another FRDP. Looking at other free agents might be our best option to improving the list next year, but they cost $$$ and skew the list contracts. Replaceable players like Hunter Clark, Ben Paton and Ryan Byrnes might be in the gun to be traded out. If Heath doesnt improve we will need to look at other ruckman, so 2024 will be interesting.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 9:15am Apparently Battle is already attracting interest from other clubs, so expect his asking price to be pushed up. Unless we have a ready made replacement I cant see how we can afford to lose him. Howard is nothing more than a full back, Cordy is not the answer and the other listed options are a way off being ready.

So unless our kids explode next year and push out senior players, I cant see how we pick up another FRDP. Looking at other free agents might be our best option to improving the list next year, but they cost $$$ and skew the list contracts. Replaceable players like Hunter Clark, Ben Paton and Ryan Byrnes might be in the gun to be traded out. If Heath doesnt improve we will need to look at other ruckman, so 2024 will be interesting.
Will get nothing for those players, especially if they play VFL all year. Teams are better off selecting players on VFL lists like Mannagh and Clohesy, than those that couldn't prove themselves at AFL level despite being in an AFL clubs training and development program.

The only way you could do it is to amass a lot of later picks and trade up.

NickyDal
Club Player

Steele turned 28 last week. If a team offered say pick 7 and pick 20 would/should we take it?

NeXus Nick
saintly
Saintsational Legend

NickyDal wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 12:58pm Steele turned 28 last week. If a team offered say pick 7 and pick 20 would/should we take it?
a team wont offer that.

NickyDal
Club Player

saintly wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 2:20pm
NickyDal wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 12:58pm Steele turned 28 last week. If a team offered say pick 7 and pick 20 would/should we take it?
a team wont offer that.
I would not accept anything less.

What do you think would be the best offer?

And would you take it?

I think if were to get pick 10 and 25 I would probably take it to be honest. Nothing against Steele, he is a great player but he is now 28. If we turned him into an "A" grader youngster and a "B" grader youngster to go along with all our other guns under 24 I would be wrapt.

NeXus Nick
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Here we go. Same old same old trolling.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

You’d find it very hard to name a premiership team that doesn’t have champions 30+

Have you not taken anything from Geelong 2022?!

Should Collingwood have got rid of Pendlebury at 28?

We did trade out Goddard and Ball and got draft picks - worked out well

Never get rid of champions - unless necessary or they want to!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 18 Dec 2023 4:19pm You’d find it very hard to name a premiership team that doesn’t have champions 30+

Have you not taken anything from Geelong 2022?!

Should Collingwood have got rid of Pendlebury at 28?

We did trade out Goddard and Ball and got draft picks - worked out well

Never get rid of champions - unless necessary or they want to!
Collingwoods 30+ premiership players

Jamie Elliot

Tom Mitchell

Scott Penelbury

Steele Sidebottom

Jack Crisp (I know he didn't play in the GF but helped em get there)

Will Hoskin-Elliot

Jerromy Howe

Brody Miochek

Mason Cox

That's a sizeable list of 30+ years of age players.

Funnily enough I think you'll find the Pies team was older than the Cats flag team but heaps more was made about the Cats age profile by the media which was largely due to the pile from one small source which can happen in AFL journalism.

It's why I'm predicting the Pies will miss the 8 in 2024.