The X-Factor that ultimately wasn’t!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The X-Factor that ultimately wasn’t!

I don’t know why but lately I’ve been about 2 of my sentimental favourite players that never quite went on to reach the hype.

That is the Clarke brothers in Xavier and Raph.

The draft for Xavier is a largely contentious one because it was absolutely littered with gems all throughout. Heck with a bit of hindsight drafting… you could build an all elite mid-field with a standard set of selections.

Xavier went at 5 with many people lamenting the fact that Ashley Sampi, David Hale Jimmy Bartel were the next 3 picks, Brent Reilly not long after and Dal went at 13. A host of other gems went later.

Up until 2005 however, when the hamstring troubles really started… whilst not an out and out super star, we all thought he was going to be a gun. Silky smooth disposal, fast, had a leap, could kick goals.

Good kid as well.

What I absolutely hate though is that in 09, he was exactly the player we needed for the Grandfinal. Xavier had had a few games at the MCG before had had kicked 2-3 goals here or there. People may remember that he started 09 injured and was tearing it up in the reserves with a return to the seniors imminent.

Conventional thinking is that the game were he did his ACL was his last build up his fitness game and he’d be in.

Oh what could have been. He was the one player on the list that was extremely well suited to blustery, windy conditions and a wet ground. Put him on the team and take Dempster out… I reckon he kicks 4-5 on the day, 3 on the first half and we win.

Raph was a different proposition. Though he was a maligned pick in hindsight… that was a miserable draft and at pick #8… with the exception of Troy Chaplain, Brent Stanton, Beau Waters, David Mundy and Sam Butler… there really was SFA good players in the top 35 after our first pick.

Raph was very weird because he was mooted as a mercurial jet type freak… but really was awkward with horrendous decision making and bad composure. For whatever reason it never clicked with him even though he tended not to be as bad as he was maligned for…

But that being said… one looks at NWM and I think to myself, that’s the player that Raph Clarke was supposed to be. What the heck went wrong?

I’m glad to see that Xavier stayed involved in footy for a while post career and he seems to be doing a lot of good work with Indigenous Youth and other programs.

Here’s my question… how do people remember Xavier. How good could he have been?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: The X-Factor that ultimately wasn’t!

If Xaavier, Goose and Hamill didn't have the injuries they did...we would have had a few premierships and refer to that era as a dynasty.

Xavier was a jet and was one of a few players from that era who had rotten luck that cost him and us some flags.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Whether this is true or not I’m obviously not sure, but apparently the drugs Ralph had to take for his epilepsy slowed him down that critical amount with his decision making and so-on.

As for X, he was tracking terrifically well in his first couple of years, before the soft tissue injuries started to take a toll. Moved very smoothly, could play in all 3 areas of the ground, could kick goals, and was regularly taking mark-of-the-week contenders.

He was way ahead of say Joey (who was in the same draft) early doors, and was one of the best performed young guys we’ve had at the club in their first couple of years since the early ‘90’s.

Was tragic how much injuries took a toll on our young group from that period.

Ball, Kosi, Goose, X, Penny, Brooks all had their careers either ended or completely derailed by the age of 25.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 1:51am

Whether this is true or not I’m obviously not sure, but apparently the drugs Ralph had to take for his epilepsy slowed him down that critical amount with his decision making and so-on.

That is true.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I know this thread is about X but I'll add another name that would have been handy in 2009 and would have assured us the flag.

Robert Harvey.

Imagine him in that 2009 side.

Adelaide final in 2005 was tbe best game I've seen by a Saint in a final, Imagine that type of force in the final series of 2009.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Harves would’ve been 38 in 2009 - maybe he was done?!

Ben Cousins on the other hand was 30 and may have been the difference in 2009/2010

B.M
Saintsational Legend

X at 26yo was replaced by Jesse Smith (pick 62)

Goose at 25yo was replaced by Will Johnson (pick 91)

They were a waste of time

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 6:53am I know this thread is about X but I'll add another name that would have been handy in 2009 and would have assured us the flag.

Robert Harvey.

Adelaide final in 2005 was tbe best game I've seen by a Saint in a final, Imagine that type of force in the final series of 2009.
That one still haunts me a bit from time to time… even if Harves had lost a step, he was still pretty decent in 08 and my gut says he might have been ok in 09, even with a few less games and maybe some reduced game time.

Cousins is a stinker as well. A free hit gone to waste.

Imagine GF 09 - final team
In - Harvey, Cousins
Out - Dempster, McQualter

Outcome - Saints by 47

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 8:49am
Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 6:53am I know this thread is about X but I'll add another name that would have been handy in 2009 and would have assured us the flag.

Robert Harvey.

That one still haunts me a bit from time to time… even if Harves had lost a step, he was still pretty decent in 08 and my gut says he might have been ok in 09, even with a few less games and maybe some reduced game time.

Cousins is a stinker as well. A free hit gone to waste.

Imagine GF 09 - final team
In - Harvey, Cousins
Out - Dempster, McQualter

Outcome - Saints by 47
Yeah I was more thinking about the 2005 version of Harves in the 2009 finals series, we would have won a three peat.

but yeah even a 50 year old Harves would still blitz a game.

Sanctorum
Club Player

If Xavier Clark had remained injury free he would have played like Bradley Hill, maybe even better, and been an absolute gun!

Raph on the other hand was frustrating to watch, obviously very gifted. I wasn't aware he suffered from epilepsy, it certainly explains why he never made it to the top.

It's good to see that X is still heavily involved in club football:

https://www.nmfc.com.au/news/1440840/xa ... tant-coach

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024 7:05am X at 26yo was replaced by Jesse Smith (pick 62)

Goose at 25yo was replaced by Will Johnson (pick 91)

They were a waste of time
And you forgot Luke Ball. What did we get for him again? That's right...sweet f.a!!

That's not really my beef. I'm not concerned with what we got. I'm more concerned that good people (including the most important assets in a football club - players) were sacrificed for short term gain

In the end, getting rid of quality people (with good character) like players who have potentially many years left of good footy, or getting rid of admin staff or fitness people who are not easily replaced, is a mistake.

I was not a fan of Lethlean. I wanted him gone years ago, but what was the point of appointing him as CEO if he's not going to at least be there for a few years.

I hope this doesn't set us back. I hope we find a very capable replacement, but most of all, I hope our club has a period of stability going forward and we don't implode the off field just as the on field is laying the foundations

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Seemed fragile and flighty. Occasionally electric, but mostly in turned off mode. Made some horrific rooky mistakes in front of goal at inconvenient times (stage fright?).