Arie Schoenmaker’s club punishment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: Arie Schoenmaker’s club punishment

Webster was apparently an unruly kid who had a reputation for settling his arguments with fisticuffs, but Richo managed to channel that aggressive energy in a positive way, that benefitted both Jimmy and the team.

So. I'm sure Harvey, Hayes, Lyon, etc... will smooth any lingering rough edges or disciplinary issues with Schoenmaker, that's if there are any.

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Speaking of JWeb, RTB sent him off the field yesterday. There didn’t seem to be anything in it. Maybe not feeling well, Covid symptoms. Hill and Nas absent as well.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Some 19 year Olds are like 30 year Olds and some are like 15.

There were serious concerns about Dustin Martin early on at Richmond, but it shows with the right coaching and the right peer pressure, potentially wayward or unprofessional types can pull it together.

Arie has very driven and professional youngsters around him and we know how strict Lyon is. It's a lot harder to be a slacker when those your same age won't stand for it.

loris
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 03 Feb 2024 10:09am Webster was apparently an unruly kid who had a reputation for settling his arguments with fisticuffs, but Richo managed to channel that aggressive energy in a positive way, that benefitted both Jimmy and the team.
Yes I was told by a very reliable source years ago that Jimmy was on his 3rd chance at the club. Another misdemeanor and he was out the door. Wasn’t told what he was doing that was so wrong. Obviously Jimmy matured & I don’t think there would be many players at the club who would be more respected by his teammates than Jimmy Webster.
I’m so glad he was given chances. From what I can recall Jimmy seemed to mature when Cupid’s arrow struck him. It happens to many a wayward lad - the influence & power of a stabilizing woman😍

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sat 03 Feb 2024 10:09am Webster was apparently an unruly kid who had a reputation for settling his arguments with fisticuffs, but Richo managed to channel that aggressive energy in a positive way, that benefitted both Jimmy and the team.

So. I'm sure Harvey, Hayes, Lyon, etc... will smooth any lingering rough edges or disciplinary issues with Schoenmaker, that's if there are any.
I got to know Jimmy for a few years when he first arrived at the club.

I have never heard the above or seen a more respectful & polite young guy.

I don’t doubt your post, but gee it shocks me.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Sanctorum
Club Player

loris wrote: Sat 03 Feb 2024 12:31pm
Yes I was told by a very reliable source years ago that Jimmy was on his 3rd chance at the club. Another misdemeanor and he was out the door. Wasn’t told what he was doing that was so wrong. Obviously Jimmy matured & I don’t think there would be many players at the club who would be more respected by his teammates than Jimmy Webster.
I’m so glad he was given chances. From what I can recall Jimmy seemed to mature when Cupid’s arrow struck him. It happens to many a wayward lad - the influence & power of a stabilizing woman😍
You would say that loris :lol: :lol: :lol:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think that this is clearly a corrective/disciplinary measure. We've had plenty of draftees whose fitness wasn't up to scratch and the club has never issued a statement saying that they've been sent to train with the VFL team to bridge professional standards. You're being somewhat delusional if you think this is purely to fast track his fitness.

It's well known that he has attitude issues off field. This could just be to keep him busy and out of trouble (no time to go out and get on the beers with his mates) or it could be a stern warning for specific indiscretions. Either way, the club has identified that extraordinary measures are needed to get him on the right track.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We'll, in the end he'll sink or swim based on his own motivation. Will be an interesting watch at Sandringham this season.

Every year there are highly rated draftees who never make the transition from U18 to AFL. Some can't hack the workload, some can't hack the discipline, and some can't hack the brutal physical reality of getting smashed around by big bodies.

avid
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 04 Feb 2024 2:44pm We'll, in the end he'll sink or swim based on his own motivation. Will be an interesting watch at Sandringham this season.

Every year there are highly rated draftees who never make the transition from U18 to AFL. Some can't hack the workload, some can't hack the discipline, and some can't hack the brutal physical reality of getting smashed around by big bodies.
I suspect all three would have been reasons I never made it.

(Along with several even more basic others)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I don’t recall Webster ever being in any trouble?

His early career was littered with body issues

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Richo sent Pierce and Alabakis to Frankston back when we had 5 ruckmen. Both were young and inexperienced. In 2012 Ross Lyon sent a chubby Sonny Walters to the WAFL after he turned up out of shape for pre-season.

Phil Cleary makes statement's on behalf of clubs now does he. Phil is a cracker, he doesn't need facts, he has ignorant readers and viewers who skim over articles and make up their own narratives to suit the negative connotations.

Arie is about to get a taste of what life will be like after AFL football and to date, there isn't one bit of documented evidence that didn't come room social media about what happened when he was 16. When he bought the alcohol he was 18. Now he is an alcoholic? The drama is entertaining I guess.

We have 3 very good coaches in Carroll, Hayes and Batchelor, who will no doubt be guiding Shoenmaker in a squad where he will be asked to play a pivotal role in as a19 year old. It smells of fast tracking more than anything else.

Howard has been iuder an injury cloud and was reportedly interested in a trade last year. I'd say we already have a replacement tee'd up and will be working to clear the path for him and let Howard go at years end.

Arie 'not being able to defend' is a bit of folly to. When you have a cannon left foot and you are asked to sweep out of the backline and do so with power and precision, you will need to be fit and strong to at least get back, intercept and spoil with closing speed. Battle and Wilkie will do the heavy lifting. Shoey is a key prospect and was a bargain at pick 62.

I get the feeling we can't what to replace Howard with him. It would be a massive improvement on our rebound and kickins. It very hard to defend when we know we can hold numbers in the middle of the ground and Arie can deliver the ball beautifully.

Clearly, this is another Cleary beat up. He does get some hot calls but this hose is aimed at the smoke, not the fire.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 04 Feb 2024 6:22pm I don’t recall Webster ever being in any trouble?

His early career was littered with body issues
There was one or two things early on from memory… not huge but they happened.

I remember he passed out on a park bench in Tassie overnight or something like that and he also got pointed out for a mixing alcohol and Stillknox (sleeping med) incident. Maybe they were the same incident. This would have been within the first two years.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe, the coaches like something they see - a young lad with a kick that is a line breaking weapon.
Maybe they want to fast track his fitness, because it’s the only thing holding him back.
So rather than just let him develop organically over the season like some of other draftees who may not be quite fit enough (eg Heath and Keeler) they want to get the lad loving and breathing the life of a full time professional footballer so they can incorporate the weapon into the game plan this year rather than wait until next year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Sun 04 Feb 2024 10:20pm Maybe, the coaches like something they see - a young lad with a kick that is a line breaking weapon.
Maybe they want to fast track his fitness, because it’s the only thing holding him back.
So rather than just let him develop organically over the season like some of other draftees who may not be quite fit enough (eg Heath and Keeler) they want to get the lad loving and breathing the life of a full time professional footballer so they can incorporate the weapon into the game plan this year rather than wait until next year.
:D

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Sun 04 Feb 2024 10:20pm Maybe, the coaches like something they see - a young lad with a kick that is a line breaking weapon.
I sent my son to train one day a week with the U/16's when he started U/15's . He was doing 3 sessions of footy practice instead of just the normal 2 nights per week

He also had 2 nights of tennis practice as well as playing competitive tennis every Saturday

He was the fittest he'd ever been in his footy career (and his skills were sharp). It helped him immensely on game day every Sunday..

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It's all well and good to speculate down that path, until you hear the words "professional standards".

Either way, all players (and people, life in general) have adversity whether it's self inflicted or not.

What matters is how you respond.

Second chances are important, but you have to use them to your advantage.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 2:11pm It's all well and good to speculate down that path, until you hear the words "professional standards".

Either way, all players (and people, life in general) have adversity whether it's self inflicted or not.

Tell me about it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 2:11pm It's all well and good to speculate down that path, until you hear the words "professional standards".

Professional standards are common amongst our young group.

The negative connotation is imagined, mainly because the lead in to the article said he was in hot water again. The main point is the club said it's not punishment.

I doubt either are direct quotes.

19 year old recruits don't have professional standards. Some develop them as elite juniors and very few of them maintain them and play 100 games or more.

Then there are hose who have impeccable training standards and get gifted 100 mediocre games and play 50 of them with professional standards.

It's a click bait article and a 50/50 chance of becoming even close to true.

He is doing extra specific training not just training in the VFL.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

I've watched quite a lot of Arie during pre-season, and what has stood out to me is his lack of fitness.
I can't comment on his character as I don't know him/have never net him, but I assume that he hasn't quite grasped how hard he needs to push himself to attain a level of fitness required to play AFL.
Therefore, I can only assume that the club are sending him to the VFL to continue to work hard on his fitness whilst the senior team move from their running/fitness phase of pre-season, to the skills/match simulation phase.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Poor guy has a target on his back. Disingenuous media piling on a young bloke from a middling club. Oliver and Maynard's actual misconduct and law breaking given respectful treatment, youngster trying to get a career foothold, let's put the boot in. Mitch Cleary, another bottom feeder. Let the kid just go about his business.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I just don’t think he gets it?!

He’s a pro athlete - and doesn’t understand what that entails

His career will be very short - unless he quickly learns how to be professional with his behaviours and training

There are too many elite kids coming through - for him to take up a list spot - when he’s not fully committed or understands what it takes

Maybe he should watch the way Wilson and Garcia train and present themselves

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Pretty big call BM.

He’s been on the list for 3 months

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Wilson and Garcia were picked on their outstanding recent development and progression.

Shoen maker was pick as a speculative decision based on his natural talent and potential to fill a huge gap in our skill set, damaging kicking into dangerous zones..

As was Bonner and for similar reasons but in reverse we let go of another true professional trainer and a supposed great kick, who couldn't kick the side of a barn when shooting for goal. Training doesn't prepare you for pressure when you are constantly injured and the standards are set by.......well t appears he was rated a gun preparer, and beautiful kick by some, lol.

Either you're pumping pain killers to prepare and taking it easy picking up cheap 20 - 30m link kicks on huge money or just not good enough.

Yes I'm talking about Billings and yes I saw him fluke a bag against the bulldags, even though my long term memories may be fading from all the headaches his inaccuracy cost us.

Let's give the kid a chance. He was highly rated despite his indescretions last year beause he hit a very good standard after a long suspension and was pivotal in taking his side to a grand final from HB and along the wing picking up good numbers and covering good distances on the ground.

Then social media and the news media stripped him to bits.

Well worth the 2 year draftee contract.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 09 Feb 2024 12:08am Pretty big call BM.

He’s been on the list for 3 months
Some of our new kids have come from very professional set ups and so have been in good systems for a while. Arie is not one of the them.

This is probably Arie's first year in a truly well supported and professional environment.

He may knuckle down and embrace it, or he may not. Being a big fish in a small pond has probably not been helpful in him fully appreciating what needs to be done.

It is very early days for a player like Arie.

Personally I think that Arie's football career as a professional footballer only really commenced once he joined us. Fortunately for him, it is probably the best St Kilda has been set up to deal with a player like Arie.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

For some dark psychological reason Arie's name links to Hymi in Get Smart for me.
Both excellent kicks apparently.
But I doubt there is a CONTROL in Tassie.