Who will debut early?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Who will debut early?

Wilson and Collard are class which will force them into early games . Collard is slight but can you catch him..Wilson provides the run and carry he will play like they did with Pou . Imo

SaintWiki
Club Player

Re: Who will debut early?

Physicality was on the bill for this morning’s testing match simulation at RSEA Park, however it was the silk of Lance Collard which was arguably the standout six weeks out from St Kilda’s season opener.

The small forward’s flashes of speed and agility were on full display during the Saints’ three match sim blocks, roaring to life in the second term with a series of moments which were on the cusp of sensational.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1485801/ ... p-heats-up

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

With Butler down… Collard is the high probability favourite for a round 1 debut but yeah like you said, Wilson hasn’t put a foot wrong since he got there.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Collard seems a huge chance and obviously Wilson is someone who sounds like he could play immediately, but the issue he could face is that he’s likely to be behind Hill, Wood, Henry and possibly Byrnes in the pecking order for a wing or HFF. Not to mention Ross and/or Jones, if we want to squeeze them into the team and don’t have room in the middle.

Interesting that Byrnes was playing forward today. I thought he’d be one that could be in the mix to play forward with Butler out. Could even play a defensive forward role on the likes of Daicos, Saad, etc.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

At 65kg, it would be throwing Collard to the wolves. I doubt he'll play unless he gets over 70 kg. Wilson is the best chance because of his elite endurance, which is a perfect fit for Ross Lyon's demanding running game .The only other one I'd give an outside chance to is Hotton, but I'd say he's a 10% chance of playing while Wilson is a 75% chance

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote: Fri 02 Feb 2024 7:39pm Interesting that Byrnes was playing forward today. I thought he’d be one that could be in the mix to play forward with Butler out. Could even play a defensive forward role on the likes of Daicos, Saad, etc.
I don't recall him playing forward earlier in preseason, I suspect it's a stopgap for Butler too.

I think Ronnie will have to be a role player until he finds his sweet spot.

Saints58
Club Player

how did Ollie hottens play he has pace to burn and has a good size on him but has been injured thought he might step up 2 year in.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 02 Feb 2024 9:45pm At 65kg, it would be throwing Collard to the wolves. I doubt he'll play unless he gets over 70 kg. Wilson is the best chance because of his elite endurance, which is a perfect fit for Ross Lyon's demanding running game.

The only other one I'd give an outside chance to is Hotton, but I'd say he's a 10% chance of playing while Wilson is a 75% chance
Interestingly, Wilson is 65kg too isn't he. Collard ran 4th in the 20m with 2.92 and won the agility test. He might actually be one of the most powerful recruits we took for height/weight/speed and agility.

The only things Wilson beat Collard in were vertical jump and and the time trial indicating Collard may have the stronger core and explosive speed and he as no slouch at 6.30 for endurance.

He will attract the attention of a capable running defender and will probably keep up and can tackle too.

He is every chance of playing.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I have it on bad authority that Schoenmaker will also debut early. :?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Wilson came to us at 74kg. He had put on 9kg during 2023. Looking at vision of him at training, his body is reasonably well developed. Being a hefty 65kg myself, I shudder to think of Collard being tackled by someone like Steven May. Then again, I watched a 66kg Austin Jones come in as an 18 year old and thrive.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 03 Feb 2024 1:07am
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 02 Feb 2024 9:45pm At 65kg, it would be throwing Collard to the wolves. I doubt he'll play unless he gets over 70 kg. Wilson is the best chance because of his elite endurance, which is a perfect fit for Ross Lyon's demanding running game.

The only other one I'd give an outside chance to is Hotton, but I'd say he's a 10% chance of playing while Wilson is a 75% chance
Interestingly, Wilson is 65kg too isn't he. Collard ran 4th in the 20m with 2.92 and won the agility test. He might actually be one of the most powerful recruits we took for height/weight/speed and agility.

The only things Wilson beat Collard in were vertical jump and and the time trial indicating Collard may have the stronger core and explosive speed and he as no slouch at 6.30 for endurance.

He will attract the attention of a capable running defender and will probably keep up and can tackle too.

I have no idea, just thoughts on what I have read.

Looking at Wilson I'd guess 75kg-7kg.
What about Garcia for an early debut prospect?

McLennan sounds like his preseason has been strong.
Backline is much harder to break into.

From training reports it sounds as if Keeler needs a bit of time at the lower level.
Surely Heath must be nearing consideration if he is a real prospect?

No idea on Hotton, sounds a bit of an enigma on this site.

I'd love to see both Wilson & Collard in R1, but I am always keen to see what the future potentially looks like.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sat 03 Feb 2024 2:10pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 03 Feb 2024 1:07am

I have no idea, just thoughts on what I have read.

Looking at Wilson I'd guess 75kg-7kg.
What about Garcia for an early debut prospect?

McLennan sounds like his preseason has been strong.
Backline is much harder to break into.

From training reports it sounds as if Keeler needs a bit of time at the lower level.
Surely Heath must be nearing consideration if he is a real prospect?

No idea on Hotton, sounds a bit of an enigma on this site.

I'd love to see both Wilson & Collard in R1, but I am always keen to see what the future potentially looks like.
Its a nice problems for Sandy to have.

I think Garcia and McLennan will have no problems impressing in the VFL and will be in the mix come the second half of the year.
McLennan can really defend and I think Garcia is going to eventually push out Crouch with Seb Ross like power and agility with Crouch's playing style. He is a ball Hunter IMO.

My views on Keeler is that he has what Max K has, match-winning star quality and natural sporting ability.

I'd imagine some defensive development is needed, but I reckon he will kick a few bags and force his way into the forward line eventually. If there is a weakness it will be endurance and strength.

If he does spend time in defence, it will be handy and I think we will see him attacking as a spoiler/interceptor cutting the run of the ball off early.

I am concerned for Heaths stamina. He can't run.

He is good ruck and a decent VFL forward prospect and those two things bode well if King goes down but I believe from their playing styles Keeler is the natural forward and would out run Heath.

Second rucks need to be strong enough for throw-ins and Heath has a huge advantage.

If I was coaching a team where he played against us I'd play short and fast and keep him running.

I'm a fan of Hotton. Very similar to Clark with better wheels.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Interested to see McLennan and where he fits in, what kind of players would he match up well on? If I recall he's only 188cm.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 03 Feb 2024 9:51pm Interested to see McLennan and where he fits in, what kind of players would he match up well on? If I recall he's only 188cm.
From what I have seen, he is similarly versatile to Geary 184cm, and Paton 186cm.

McLennan could match up on Membrey 188, Breust 189, Phillipou 191 or Rachele 179.

He attacks the ball, has one touch skills and can read the fall of the ball. He loves the contested ball and can win it.

He is strong in the air and on the ground. Tough gig getting into our defence but Webster and Stocker would be aware he is around.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s a medium defender - pretty good overhead for his size

Plays similar to Webster 188, Stocker 184, Paton 186