Will Ross Continue to Play the Kids?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Will Ross Continue to Play the Kids?

Vortex wrote: Mon 05 Feb 2024 9:44am Been reading a lot of posters here and on BF praise Ross for playing the kids last year in support of their argument Ross is now a proven developer of kids as part of the wider argument about his ability to rebuild a list from the ground up into a flag team.

As we know he only had a win rate of 33% in his last 4 years at Freo before being sacked which suggests he failed in his first attempt at list rebuilding. This is kind of an uncomfortable fact for the one eyed supporter.

But now that we have put the year of “exploration” behind us and are about to enter the year when we get our first glimpse of Ross the “developer”, and him having access to a full list to pick from, especially a lot more senior and experienced players that weren’t available to him last year, what’s every one’s gut feel on his approach to picking kids over senior players in 2024?

As I say, he was forced to pick kids in 2023, but do you think he’ll leave a senior player at Sandy in preference to a kid week-in and week-out throughout 24?
You really are on a crusade aren’t you ,when you see people praising RTB you feel the need to step in and stifle the fervour
Regurgitate any negative stats you must have as a cut and paste from your RTB data base.
Your broken record passive aggressive approach is wearing thin.
I’m sure BF appreciates your work a lot more than those here

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 6:52pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 05 Feb 2024 9:44am Been reading a lot of posters here and on BF praise Ross for playing the kids last year in support of their argument Ross is now a proven developer of kids as part of the wider argument about his ability to rebuild a list from the ground up into a flag team.

As we know he only had a win rate of 33% in his last 4 years at Freo before being sacked which suggests he failed in his first attempt at list rebuilding. This is kind of an uncomfortable fact for the one eyed supporter.

But now that we have put the year of “exploration” behind us and are about to enter the year when we get our first glimpse of Ross the “developer”, and him having access to a full list to pick from, especially a lot more senior and experienced players that weren’t available to him last year, what’s every one’s gut feel on his approach to picking kids over senior players in 2024?

As I say, he was forced to pick kids in 2023, but do you think he’ll leave a senior player at Sandy in preference to a kid week-in and week-out throughout 24?
You really are on a crusade aren’t you ,when you see people praising RTB you feel the need to step in and stifle the fervour
Regurgitate any negative stats you must have as a cut and paste from your RTB data base.
Your broken record passive aggressive approach is wearing thin.
I’m sure BF appreciates your work a lot more than those here
It's like a broken effing record...stuck in a groove .

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 1:39pm I'd be surprised if Lyon does not continue as he did last year and give the kids plenty of games in 2024.

He looks to me to have adopted a different strategy in his third crack at senior coaching, so relying on his previous stints at both St Kilda and Fremantle as an indication of what he will do this year is imho misguided.

If you look at the current list of players, Brad Hill is the only elite veteran at St Kilda, unlike teams such as Collingwood, Geelong and others that have genuine experienced matchwinners in their teams.

So it seems logical that the selectors will opt to continue to pump games into the young talent that has come to Moorabbin in the last three years.
It's why it's a fascinating sub plot, the narrative is Ross is going to play the kids at all costs.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Think of it as new recruits not "kids", which is a vague description. The whole process is renewal, judgement used how that happens. Will Ross manage his list - of course he will. Some recruits will succeed Some won't. Senior players won't get younger. It's a balancing act. Nuance is too hard for Vortex, picture the snotty nosed child yelling na na na na na at passers-by through a fence, not understanding why.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 7:52pm Think of it as new recruits not "kids", which is a vague description. The whole process is renewal, judgement used how that happens. Will Ross manage his list - of course he will. Some recruits will succeed Some won't. Senior players won't get younger. It's a balancing act. Nuance is too hard for Vortex, picture the snotty nosed child yelling na na na na na at passers-by through a fence, not understanding why.
I tend to think he will be focused on developing the kids this time around just simply because of the obvious and that is we are in the early stages of a rebuild of some magnitude.

I certainly think he's capable of growth in how he coaches as he's too smart not to learn from his past.

Having said that I think a lot will depend on our results at the 6 week mark. I think he'll pick senior/experienced players in that bracket because they always must be paid that respect if they are earning selection but then I think if they fail to perform after that then he'll have no hesitation in bringing in the kids if their Sandy form is deserving.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do you know when you should ‘play the kids’?!

1/ when they’re good enough
2/ when they are better than the senior players

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 8:49pm Do you know when you should ‘play the kids’?!

1/ when they’re good enough
2/ when they are better than the senior players
Would you be forgiven for thinking all of our kids are going to be instant AFL quality and they are all going to make the grade? After all it is what Ross is famous for, he makes every player he coaches a better player. Insert sarcasm emoji.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The OP has totally disregarded the availability of the players in his list of senior players and the ones who got dumped because they were basically useless. Three of them weren't available be ause they played for other sides. Very poorly framed question.

I think it's called hogwash.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 10:36pm The OP has totally disregarded the availability of the players in his list of senior players and the ones who got dumped because they were basically useless. Three of them weren't available be ause they played for other sides. Very poorly framed question.

Come on Benny Boy!

This isn't the Dukes of Hazzard.

Give me your best Willy Wonka and tell me why all the kids will keep those players out.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 10:51pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 10:36pm The OP has totally disregarded the availability of the players in his list of senior players and the ones who got dumped because they were basically useless. Three of them weren't available be ause they played for other sides. Very poorly framed question.

Come on Benny Boy!

Give me your best Willy Wonka and tell me why all the kids will keep those players out.
Why dont you tell me who he should have picked over the kids last year.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 10:54pm

Come on Benny Boy!

Forget last year, he had no choice last year, there was no choice but to play certain players who weren't AFL ready due to the injury crisis.

Provided we don't have the same rotten luck this year, there will be a lot of competition from the "non kids" for spots which I listed further back, yes some are new, but the point is the side won't necessarily be flooded with first year players and debutantes.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 11:05pm

Come on Benny Boy!

Forget last year, he had no choice last year, there was no choice but to play certain players who weren't AFL ready due to the injury crisis.

Provided we don't have the same rotten luck this year, there will be a lot of competition from the "non kids" for spots which I listed further back, yes some are new, but the point is the side won't necessarily be flooded with first year players and debutantes.
You made up the whole narrative. There was no choice. The best team was picked and we played finals. The same kids will play and two more maybe 3 will be blooded.

I think you want to change the OP now and that's really cool. Sharman Owens and Windhager are men. Phillipou will be a superstar.

I just don't think you have any point at all.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 11:27pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 06 Feb 2024 11:05pm

Come on Benny Boy!

You made up the whole narrative. There was no choice. The best team was picked and we played finals. The same kids will play and two more maybe 3 will be blooded.

I think you want to change the OP now and that's really cool. Sharman Owens and Windhager are men. Phillipou will be a superstar.

I just don't think you have any point at all.
No probs Benny