StKilda again the ones that cop it.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

StKilda again the ones that cop it.

Webster deserved to be suspended but 7 weeks your taking the piss. Less than 12 months ago DeGoey who ironed out and knocked out cold Elijah Hewitt got 3.

Again the AFL invent a way to use StKilda as its sacrifice to a baying and blood thirsty woke media.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: StKilda again the ones that cop it.

And I was hoping 2024 might be different on here 😂

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 8:22am Webster deserved to be suspended but 7 weeks your taking the piss. Less than 12 months ago DeGoey who ironed out and knocked out cold Elijah Hewitt got 3.

Again the AFL invent a way to use StKilda as its sacrifice to a baying and blood thirsty woke media.
It is a new landscape - Jimmy (oh an BTW - everyone I spoke to who is a listed player yesterday) knew he was stuffed.

Wrong time to be flying the Woe is Me flag!!!!

Fly it if Cripps gets off for a similar incident.

Jimmy got 7 - 4 for the bump - 3 for being silly in the current Mindscape.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 10:02am Jimmy got 7 - 4 for the bump - 3 for being silly in the current Mindscape.
So you're saying they added an extra three for being stupid?
If we suspended players for being stupid, our competition would have so few players that the only format we could play is AFLX!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 10:05am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 10:02am Jimmy got 7 - 4 for the bump - 3 for being silly in the current Mindscape.
So you're saying they added an extra three for being stupid?
If we suspended players for being stupid, our competition would have so few players that the only format we could play is AFLX!
Yes - SPP got 4 for bumping with concussion effect - for a football act - Jimmy got the same 4 - then 3 for electing to bump by leaving the ground.

The act he did was silly - the same as if he had punched someone - a silly or 'stupid' act.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

4 weeks, plus 1 for leaving the ground, 1 for hitting late, and 1 for doing it all in a absolutely meaningless practice match!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 9:08am And I was hoping 2024 might be different on here 😂
:roll:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Four for the act 2 because the AFL allowed Maynard a free pass and the StKilda tax 1.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 8:22am Webster deserved to be suspended but 7 weeks your taking the piss. Less than 12 months ago DeGoey who ironed out and knocked out cold Elijah Hewitt got 3.

Allowing for your victim mentality, bitching, moaning, persecution complex and stupidity, I'd like to congratualte you on the above post, as at least you may have become ever so slightly more realistic than this gem from the day of the incident.
CURLY wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 2:44pm
Worth 2 at best.
Perhaps JW should have read the below or should have been briefed on the strong stance the AFL will be taking in 2024 with amendments to high contact.

The article clearly states that the tribunal will not be bound by outcomes of any previous cases.

The proof will follow IF the AFL maintains consistency throughout the season.

IF Powell-Pepper was worth 4 weeks (and I didn't think it was), Webster was 6-7 as a direct comparison to Powell-Pepper's action.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/26/ ... er-powell/

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 10:51am

Allowing for your victim mentality, bitching, moaning, persecution complex and stupidity, I'd like to congratualte you on the above post, as at least you may have become ever so slightly more realistic than this gem from the day of the incident.
Worth 2 at best.
Perhaps JW should have read the below or should have been briefed on the strong stance the AFL will be taking in 2024 with amendments to high contact.

The article clearly states that the tribunal will not be bound by outcomes of any previous cases.

The proof will follow IF the AFL maintains consistency throughout the season.

IF Powell-Pepper was worth 4 weeks (and I didn't think it was), Webster was 6-7 as a direct comparison to Powell-Pepper's action.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/26/ ... er-powell/
Two weeks was clearly a joke.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I think 4 weeks would have been reasonable. That's how many weeks he would have got under a previous "points" system. But concussion is now viewed more seriously so 7 weeks is now the base for this action.

The perversion remains Maynard's outcome - an obvious case of bias. He did everything that Webster did - including leaving the ground. And - he ended a player's career.

King Max
Club Player

The real issue is, given he was suspended in a pre season game, is he still eligible for the Brownlow?

axcellence
Club Player

Webster deserved suspension for it.

I think so many times, particularly in early/mid season St Kilda cops it.

From memory, a couple of times people crashing into St Kilda players meant fair players got whacked.

Ryder
Nick Riewoldt

Last season, people can remember the hullabaloo over Caminiti. We had people asking for 4/6/8 weeks.

It's just OTT.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

6 weeks would have been plenty.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Worth 2 at best.
This was a classic too :lol:
CURLY wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 7:09pm Don’t think contact was made to his head. Whiplash I think got him.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Hold your pitchforks. If this is the new normal, so be it.

Expect the Degoey and Pickett hits to get 6+ if they occur this year.

I'll keep on my soapbox that legal defense at the tribunal hearings must end. The AFL know this happens and go in with a higher request for suspension than they really want, knowing it will be argued down.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

As much as I think what Webster did deserved a significant suspension, it is comical that a player walked free from a similar act just five games ago.

There will be similar hits during the 2024 season, and you can be sure that they won't result in 7 week suspensions.

Jimmy stupidly put himself in this position, but the AFL and the media have milked every drop out of it.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 11:56am

Worth 2 at best.
CURLY wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2024 7:09pm Don’t think contact was made to his head. Whiplash I think got him.

Haven't seen anything yet to suggest otherwise being there it looked like the impact threw his head back.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 1:15pm

Worth 2 at best.

Haven't seen anything yet to suggest otherwise being there it looked like the impact threw his head back.
Sleep through Physics at school did ya Curly? :lol:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 1:52pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 1:15pm

Worth 2 at best.

As I said nothing Ive seen shows contact with the head. Fair to say you havent either.

Sleep through Physics at school did ya Curly? :lol:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think it's been well established over the years that you manage to "not see" a lot of things that don't suit your agenda when it comes to St Kilda!

The video angle looking down the boundary clearly shows the impact. You see his head shoot back immediately, if it was whiplash his head would move towards Jimmy not away...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 2:48pm I think it's been well established over the years that you manage to "not see" a lot of things that don't suit your agenda when it comes to St Kilda!

The video angle looking down the boundary clearly shows the impact. You see his head shoot back immediately, if it was whiplash his head would move towards Jimmy not away...
Yes The Dud back to his true form.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I can’t recall a more blatant example of what not to do when bumping in the last 10 years.

Ppl saying, well the AFL better be consistent, are head in the sand stuff. I haven’t seen a bump where the sole intention was to bump, where the player launches off the ground and cannons into the opponents head for years. It was 3-4 last year, this year it’s 6-8. Ppl with their siege mentality will try to justify other instances that pop up this year and point them out as if to justify obvious AFL bias, but the reality is most in the AFL were shocked by what jimmy did, and the reason they were shocked is because it hardly ever happens in this day and age. Expect very few penalties this large because players don’t do it,

Jimmy had the choice to smother but he CHOSE to bump. The player hit was completely vulnerable as he wasn’t expecting a hit. It was like a copybook example of everything to do wrong. It’s NEVER been part of the game and has always been a suspension

saintly
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Wed 06 Mar 2024 11:19am I think 4 weeks would have been reasonable. That's how many weeks he would have got under a previous "points" system. But concussion is now viewed more seriously so 7 weeks is now the base for this action.

The perversion remains Maynard's outcome - an obvious case of bias. He did everything that Webster did - including leaving the ground. And - he ended a player's career.
yes but, Maynards outcome was not in 2024. if he did that action in 2024, then we should see what happens

Big Max
Club Player

Thanks CURLY, you historically post the an opinion I generally agree with, albeit with a colorful flair.

It was my view that the AFL 'penalty model' suggests this incident is worth 3 weeks .. high contact, careless .. force .. etc .. the De Goey penalty a reflection of this policy.

But Webster gets 7 weeks .. that's the 3 weeks (penalty model) + 4 weeks. I've got no issue with the 'standard' 3 week penalty, but like CURLY would like to question where the 4 weeks came from.

Has the AFL introduced a new policy this year in line with community and media standards? If so has this been announced? And the bigger question, is this actually a new policy, will this be the new precedent?

Or is this the AFL and Media just making up new rules?

Like CURLY, I reckon St Kilda has been shafted for 20-30 years by the tribunal. But to be fair, I reckon a few others also get shafted. James Scissly and Toby Greene also cop unfair treatment.