Crab watch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Crab watch

Scollop wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024 9:21pm
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024 9:02pm He missed one from right in front, another on the run on the right (wrong lol) foot that sprayed wide...
Then delivered a nice kick to a 2 on 1 in Dees favour.
That last one he does 2-3 times a game.
The first fluffs are de riguer for him
When a Melbourne player like Billings has the footy and is running into goal there's a hush from the Croweater crowd.

Therefore, Jack hears the footsteps a little louder :mrgreen:
Oh, FFS. :roll: :roll:

I thought you were better than that, Scollop.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Petracca reminding everyone that he should have been the No 1 draft pick.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

f*** him. He's an opposition player

f*** Connors too.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Should have been playing for the Saints

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024 9:27pm Petracca reminding everyone that he should have been the No 1 draft pick.
Ain't that the truth.

Makes you wanna cry.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne should have buried them

Billings 3 behinds... keeping the Crows in this 8-)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Most people on here defended the selection of McCartin for years - pretty much until he went to Sydney. Even thereafter!

They won’t admit it now. Or they’ll talk concussions!!!

I’ll tell you right now

Not one concussion - Petracca would still have ended up twice the player of McCartin

Who was an overweight undersized key forward who dropped marks and was a poor kick at goal! He was slow as a wet week!!!

Petracca is a beast
Imo the best player in the AFL

Billings has played alright- but as was the case at StK
Just hasn’t taken his chances
His run down tackle- excellent

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 04 Apr 2024 9:48pm
McCartin

Who was an overweight undersized key forward who dropped marks and was a poor kick at goal! He was slow as a wet week!!!
That's no way to speak about a player who wore the RW&B

Sorry...I take that back. I agree with you

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Billings played as he has for the last few years
Plays ok
Tries hard, moves well, kicks ok and misses gettable goals
Unfortunately we do not miss him, I am sure we all wanted him to be that a grader that he promised, he just never was.
Ironic his fringe mate became the star he should have been.
No malice from me.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

We all talk petracca v mccartin
But the biggest travesty was Judd v ball
That cost us a premiership

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Actually when its pointed out, yet again, how absolutely inexplicably moronic the recruiting was it makes the current state of play seem a warm safe place.
We may not be in the 8 or get seriously close this year but don't seem to have made a catastrophic error that simultaneously catapults a rival into contention while cutting off our nose, shooting both feet and wearing a dunce's hat for a few years.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 8:49am We all talk petracca v mccartin
We'd only have won a premiership with Judd if the coach had remembered to play him in the fourth quarter of the GF. :D

Seriously, I would say that Ball vs Judd wasn't such a bad pick, in that Ball was an A-grade player (or very close to being one) and delivered pretty well during his career for both us and the Pies, notwithstanding his injury problems which were not all foreseeable at the time of the draft (remembering that both he and Judd were injury concerns at the time). Sure Judd was a better player than Ball, but I think a reasonable benchmark for using the early picks in any draft is to choose someone who can deliver 200 quality games and some club B&Fs and perhaps an AA or two.

Ball met my benchmark, but Billings has fallen a way short, although he might still eventually get to 200 games. He looked the goods when selected, but hasn't developed into the gamebreaking attacking force that warranted his going so early in the draft. So he's a failure, but not a terrible one. Sure, Bontempelli is tons better than him, but few pundits were suggesting this at the time of the draft.

McCartin still remains the worst ever use of a #1 draft pick by the club and possibly the worst ever by any club. First of all, there is some evidence to suggest that at least part of why he was chosen was driven by marketing concerns rather than the simple aim of finding the best available player. It was hoped he could be the sort of Tony Lockett type of FF who would bring crowds to our games. But, even in his early pre-season appearances, it was pretty clear to all who could take their rose-coloured glasses off that he was not mobile enough to play FF in the modern game and was also not particularly reliable at taking set shots. He was, however, a good mark and pretty good at passing by foot, which was why he was able to reinvent himself at the Swans as a reasonable quality defender, although nothing remotely near what one would expect from a #1 draft pick. His shortcomings as a FF were visible beforee he started getting concussed all the time and should have been picked up before we considered drafting him: I really don't know why this was not the case.

There is no doubt that many people in football tend to get a bit over-excited when they see large, strong FFs (some of the commentary that goes on when Tex Walker is playing borders on the homoerotic). So I think they often get overvalued. Let's face it, there are plenty of pretty ordinary ones running around at any time: Ben Brown and Charlie Dixon immediately jump to my mind. I would once have included Jesse Hogan on my list too, but all of a sudden he's playing out of his skin (Kingsley's a bloody good coach IMO: perhaps we should have given him a crack ahead of Ratten).

Of course the worst thing about our picking McCartin was that what we really needed at the time - have needed for a decade or more - was a quality attacking mid. And there he was sitting in the draft, visible to all (including our coach Richo, who seems to have tried to persuade the club to go with Petracca instead of McCartin). And many pundits predicted big things for him: far more than was the case with the Bont.

In cricket, the adage is that, if you win the toss, you bat first nine times out of ten, and the tenth time you think about sending the opposition and then decide to bat first. In using a #1 draft pick, I think the adage should be that nine out of ten times you go for the best available mid, and the tenth time you pick Nick Riewoldt because he was a once-in-a-generation talent. McCartin was never that.

Sorry that went on so long, but analysing the performances of players is really interesting. Obviously a lot of posters are currently enjoying picking Billings's performances for the Dees to pieces. I predict that he might get a bit better over the next few weeks. He is still recovering from a prolonged period of being injured and the blow he received to his confidence when it became clear that he was no longer wanted at the Saints.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Killa
Club Player

Don’t you people ever tire of this nonsense

Could have

Should have

Would have

Simply, the requirement to obtain the Number 1 Draft Pick is to finish an AFL season at the bottom of the Ladder - BOTTOM

So stone, motherless LAST

So you are coming into a very poor side

And so it goes with all early Draft Picks

They go to underperforming sides

So put first things first people

St Kilda were a woeful side and the recruitment of an 18 year old potential key forward was not going to change that assessment of St Kilda - and, in fact, that assessment did not provide the development environment for McCartin or any player recruited

Petracca was no instant “star” and now is supported by others in the Melbourne midfield where it could be put that Oliver is a better player than Petracca

The “star” player focus appears something with St Kilda supporters - overlooking team

Currently, to me, we are seeing the progress to a competitive side a trajectory which saw players bought in and now a focus on the Draft

takeaway
Club Player

Killa wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 1:56pm Don’t you people ever tire of this nonsense

Could have

Should have

Would have

Simply, the requirement to obtain the Number 1 Draft Pick is to finish an AFL season at the bottom of the Ladder - BOTTOM

So stone, motherless LAST

So you are coming into a very poor side

And so it goes with all early Draft Picks

They go to underperforming sides

So put first things first people

St Kilda were a woeful side and the recruitment of an 18 year old potential key forward was not going to change that assessment of St Kilda - and, in fact, that assessment did not provide the development environment for McCartin or any player recruited

Petracca was no instant “star” and now is supported by others in the Melbourne midfield where it could be put that Oliver is a better player than Petracca

The “star” player focus appears something with St Kilda supporters - overlooking team

Currently, to me, we are seeing the progress to a competitive side a trajectory which saw players bought in and now a focus on the Draft
Good post

George27
Club Player

maverick wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 8:49am We all talk petracca v mccartin
I agree with Meher Baba’s eloquent views on this . Also, It really is fair only to look at the decision at the time and, back in 2001 , the selection of Ball over Judd was totally reasonable. Judd had shoulder issues, Ball’s OP had not yet surfaced ( I think), and Judd was 8 months older than Ball ( in fact, he still is) so it was reasonable to assume Ball had more scope to improve. Likewise Billings at 3 in his draft seemed right - Bont was not on most people’s radar .

On the other hand , the McCartin selection looked poor at the time. I remember being absolutely shocked we didn’t take Petracca.

That is why the McCartin/Petracca decision keeps coming back and hurts so much - it was not a situation where we were blighted by bad luck . Our decision- makers just made the wrong friggin decision.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Eventually Petracca and Bont will retire and you can all finally shut up about it.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 5:06pm Eventually Petracca and Bont will retire and you can all finally shut up about it.
I haven't gotten over trading Stewart for Barrot!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Takeaway

Petracca has a Norm Smith

So Melbourne would be pretty happy

The Gawn - Oliver - Petracca - Viney combo is as good as there has been!!!

Petracca is the Most impactful mid in the game imo

takeaway
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 11:15pm Takeaway

Petracca has a Norm Smith

So Melbourne would be pretty happy

The Gawn - Oliver - Petracca - Viney combo is as good as there has been!!!

Petracca is the Most impactful mid in the game imo
I don't disagree with you. I didn't see Killa's post as another McCartin vs Petracca

Petracca is/has been a great player. Did take some time to get going though, which is fair enough. The Melbourne midfield has been one of the best, with Oliver imo mostly on a par with Petracca, at least before his latest issues. Different type of player though, sheer weight of numbers is his forte.

Petracca still would be one of the impactful mids in the game, although imo he has now been joined by a number of young guns, you know who they are.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Actually St Kilda's worst-ever first round pick was Michael Frost. Played one good game for the Bulldogs, which happened to be against the Saints, and so on a hunch (or Stan Alves' gut-feeling) we gave up our first-round pick for him. It was such a manifest disaster, however, that we learned our lesson and the following year went back to the draft and secured Jones, Brown, Smith, Sziller, etc.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Drafting in its first decade

86-96

Was a bit ad hoc (especially until 91 before TAC Cup)

From 97 it got a bit more intensive

From 2001 it ramped up even further- it’s got more detailed every year since

Blowing a Draft Pick now is far more impactful that 30 years ago

B.M
Saintsational Legend

At Kilda’s first picks in the late 80s early 90s is hilarious reading

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2024 11:22pm I post his numbers when he has a poor game

And I posted when he had 24 and a goal

HFs are by there very nature a bit inconsistent

Tonight we had some HFs that never got near it.

To suggest Billings has never played good AFL footy is ignorant
Who suggested that. He's a crab.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

And Wilson is already better

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Billings will be begging to be traded if he gets dropped.