Tarryn Thomas, anyone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tarryn Thomas, anyone?

Sam Kerr anyone. Comes from a s*** family but she knows how to score goals.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
NickyDal
Club Player

I would take him. This is our chance to show the footy world we are a Great club. We have the leaders and culture to turn his life and career around. If he is willing to put in the hard yards then it's a no brainer. And to those morons that are saying it's Lovett mk II well that is nonsense. We would not have to use a draft pick as he is a delisted Free Agent.

To all these posters saying he is a s*** bloke I have one question. Have you ever stuffed up in life?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

NeXus Nick
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

NickyDal wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:43am I would take him. This is our chance to show the footy world we are a Great club. We have the leaders and culture to turn his life and career around. If he is willing to put in the hard yards then it's a no brainer. And to those morons that are saying it's Lovett mk II well that is nonsense. We would not have to use a draft pick as he is a delisted Free Agent.

To all these posters saying he is a s*** bloke I have one question. Have you ever stuffed up in life?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
100% in agreeance.

You would take him for nothing if his character wasn’t in question. Ross the Boss, Aunt Katrina, Goddard and the playing group will sort his s*** out don’t you worry.

My question becomes… can we sign him now as a DFA and he can slot into Sandy at Round 19 to get some games into him, or do we have to wait until the season is over?

I’d take him now before he walks to his home town Tasmania.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:18am
The Fireman wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 9:14am sign on the dotted line son
Why are you sold on him? North Melbourne gave him umpteen chances and he kept being a POS. He has trouble written all over him. Far too risky and these types of risks have mainly backfired on us over history. There’s far better fish to go after than TT!
I'm always sold on cheap talent.
I want to see a flag...if he F&*&s up he goes without great loss.
You know I make sense ;)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The argument also is that post your second-third round pick… everything is just such a long shot. If you’re going to take a punt, why not punt on talent with a bad attitude vs lack of talent with a good attitude.

If no one takes him… throw him on the rookie list.

On a side note… a few ppl have referenced the attitude towards women. If it’s not inappropriate, can someone please enlighten me as to the nature of his indiscretions?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 12:42pm
Sainternist wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:18am
The Fireman wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 9:14am sign on the dotted line son
Why are you sold on him? North Melbourne gave him umpteen chances and he kept being a POS. He has trouble written all over him. Far too risky and these types of risks have mainly backfired on us over history. There’s far better fish to go after than TT!
I'm always sold on cheap talent.
I want to see a flag...if he F&*&s up he goes without great loss.
You know I make sense ;)
I prefer cheap talent that isn’t locker room poison.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 1:40pm The argument also is that post your second-third round pick… everything is just such a long shot. If you’re going to take a punt, why not punt on talent with a bad attitude vs lack of talent with a good attitude.

If no one takes him… throw him on the rookie list.

On a side note… a few ppl have referenced the attitude towards women. If it’s not inappropriate, can someone please enlighten me as to the nature of his indiscretions?
I'm guessing that his attitude towards women is worse than that of his coach.
Suspended by the AFL and sacked by his club.
That should tell you enough.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

FRe: Tarryn Thomas, anyone?

Focussing solely on sport there are many instances globally of athletes struggling with addictive behaviours ( substance use, gambling etc) as well as violence ( assaults, bullying, stalking).
The good news is that some of them, when given opportunity to understand WHY they choose the destructive behaviours; they actually change. Its not common but also not rare.

Its worth a conversation with key staff & maybe mental health professionals to uncover if Tearin' Thomas is willing to go on the long journey towards being a healthy person.

If he can recover, be transformed...it would obviously offer opportunity to extend his career, but even more importantly create a leader within our community. As an aborigibal man I once was the lowest most disgusting form of human, committing every offence bar harming children, rape or murder. It didn't change until I was 38. Now having lived 30 yrs of a changed life commited to serving others, I have a significant impact on my people. Aboriginals ( like many peoples) admire, respect and often seek to emulate those who lead with a limp.

axcellence
Club Player

Hard No /Pass.

Just has Lovett sq 2 written all over it.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I've said it previously in posts about other players that a club culture is important. A good culture, which I believe we have, can take on board some wayward souls.

However, there is a critical mass where if you've got a large enough group of troublemakers, that it can negatively impact the rest of the group.

I believe Tarryn Thomas is a bridge too far in this respect. Not because of individual transgressions, but because even with the previous support and patience of his club (over 2 years, wasn't it?) and AFL which still did not see significant behavioral changes.

I would implore the club not to be tempted.

NickyDal
Club Player

axcellence wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 2:38pm Hard No /Pass.

Just has Lovett sq 2 written all over it.
It has nothing to do with Lovett whatsoever. We get Thomas for FREE. In other words, no draft pick required. It's not that difficult to understand is it?

NeXus Nick
NickyDal
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:58am
NickyDal wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:43am I would take him. This is our chance to show the footy world we are a Great club. We have the leaders and culture to turn his life and career around. If he is willing to put in the hard yards then it's a no brainer. And to those morons that are saying it's Lovett mk II well that is nonsense. We would not have to use a draft pick as he is a delisted Free Agent.

100% in agreeance.

You would take him for nothing if his character wasn’t in question. Ross the Boss, Aunt Katrina, Goddard and the playing group will sort his s*** out don’t you worry.

My question becomes… can we sign him now as a DFA and he can slot into Sandy at Round 19 to get some games into him, or do we have to wait until the season is over?

We cannot sign him up now. The window for signing players is long closed. Plus, I don't think we have any available spots on our list and or our rookie list.

NeXus Nick
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

NickyDal wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 3:41pm

100% in agreeance.

We cannot sign him up now. The window for signing players is long closed. Plus, I don't think we have any available spots on our list and or our rookie list.
Thanks Nicky. So we have to wait until end of year.

Real question is… would you trade Josh battle for a future 1st round picks? North and Hawks are in the business for Backman

shrodes
SS Life Member

Absolutely not, no way. I'm honestly disappointed if the rumours are true, the club should be better than that.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ben Cousins was a drug addict

He was only hurting himself - however the gear probably made him train harder and play better?!

Lovett and Thomas bash women, are bone lazy and have s*** attitudes - both absolutely s*** people

Ben Cousins was very likeable (popular) very engaging and a manic footballer

We win the 09/10 premierships with him

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why would we trade Josh Battle (btw he’s a FA so
clubs actually don’t need to trade for him)

Josh Battle is a good player

A draft pick may never play a game

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 3:54pm Real question is… would you trade Josh battle for a future 1st round picks? North and Hawks are in the business for Backman
Battle is a restricted free agent at the end of this year.

NickyDal
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 3:54pm
NickyDal wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 3:41pm

100% in agreeance.

Thanks Nicky. So we have to wait until end of year.

Real question is… would you trade Josh battle for a future 1st round picks? North and Hawks are in the business for Backman
Battle is a great player and integral to our backline BUT, if North or Hawthorn gave us a pick around 10 plus another in the early 20's I would do it. The only proviso is that we use those 2 picks at the draft and we keep adding to our young core.

NeXus Nick
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Trade Josh?
Doesn't the forum have a heresy filter.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 7:28pm Trade Josh?
Doesn't the forum have a heresy filter.
I don't think we are that effing stupid even if some of our 'supposed' supporters are

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Josh is not worth a First Rounder let alone a First and Second

He is worth about pick 25 which is not worth us doing the deal

Ben Long was pick 25 - would you take Long or Battle?

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 13 Mar 2024 11:06pm If he's not in jail by the end of this year or if he's not arrested for any other misdemeanors, then sure... why not?

Can he change and mature as a person? Will he be motivated by the knowledge that he may never, ever get another opportunity to earn huge money... at something he's good at?

We'll need to run it by the AFL first. Talk to headquarters. Be transparent. Don't try and sneak him in without the AFL authorities giving us their approval to bring him in.

Get them to publicly disclose that he is allowed to play for an AFL club again.

The reason I say that is that perhaps it slightly lessens the backlash on us if he stuffs up again. We'll say it was the AFL's fault :mrgreen:
A very relevant point, Scollop, about gaining some sort of approval, even if only tacit and not official, from the Death Star.

I suspect that if there's any chance he's not completed his mandated "rehab" the AFL might covertly but actively discourage clubs from picking him up.

I can't, or don't want to believe they'd want to end a 24-year-old's career, but in the current climate of controversies bedevilling it concerning racism and the treatment of women, I would suggest TT's behavior between now and the 2024 draft/trade period, will be the subject of fierce scrutiny.

Like other posters here have mentioned, I believe the club has the resources, personnel, and leaders to manage TT. In particular,
Auntie Kat would play a crucial role in being a highly respected woman in the indigenous community.

I pity the fool who let her down or crossed her in the current circumstances. I've met her a couple of times and she is impressive,
coming across as strong, but also gentle.

She's proven to be another excellent addition to our off-field crew. IMHO she would be the perfect candidate to help manage his off-field issues. In the end, it would be a crying shame if his prodigious talent was to go to waste.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 8:11pm Josh is not worth a First Rounder let alone a First and Second

He is worth about pick 25 which is not worth us doing the deal

Ben Long was pick 25 - would you take Long or Battle?
Battle by the length of the Flemington straight. There is no comparison.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 11:29am Sam Kerr anyone. Comes from a s*** family but she knows how to score goals.
Surprised nobody else has called this out. From a s*** family is very different to domestic violence. You judge people by their actions not their family.

If all Thomas had done was insult a cop, i'd have signed him up already.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2024 5:01pm Ben Cousins was a drug addict

He was only hurting himself - however the gear probably made him train harder and play better?!

Lovett and Thomas bash women, are bone lazy and have s*** attitudes - both absolutely s*** people

Ben Cousins was very likeable (popular) very engaging and a manic footballer

We win the 09/10 premierships with him
Gee that’s naive. You’d be happy sending your 18 year old son to a club where the skipper is a drug addict, and a likeable one at that? Plenty of stories have come out of WC in recent years of young impressionable players who tried to fit in, and now their lives are a train wreck, some worse than Cousins and Kerr.

Easy argument to make that the players are far less likely to embrace Thomas’s lifestyle than Cousins.

And we don’t win the 09/10 flags with him because he would have done his hammy on the eve of the finals. And I would have been very nervous with him and Gardy back together again