Tarryn Thomas, anyone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Tarryn Thomas, anyone?

Saints43 wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 10:26pm
B.M wrote: Wed 01 May 2024 10:09pm I am a former serviceman who served in the gulf in 92
Thank you for your service.
Did you get some Exxon shares?
Seriously?!

I reckon this is worthy of a holiday.....

Show some f****** respect.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 10:26pm
B.M wrote: Wed 01 May 2024 10:09pm I am a former serviceman who served in the gulf in 92
Thank you for your service.
Did you get some Exxon shares?
Wow … possibly the worst post I’ve ever seen on here

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

St Dave wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 12:25am I am pretty happy for sport to play a role in social education generally, but given there is a known correlation between a team losing and their supporters engaging in a domestic violence incident (eg this was the first study I found on google which finds a 10% increase in incidents after a loss where the team was favourite to win, with the rate increasing after important matches https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3712874/), this is probably one of the more relevant issues to educate about.

Wild that DV could be considered a politcal/social issue that people take sides on rather than just all agreeing it is bad, and actually argue that a bare minimum action could be something we shouldn't do, but I guess that is just what society is now.
Well said, mate. It seems we have a few cases of MLS (Mark Latham Syndrome) in here.

“NoT aLL mEn” 🤦‍♂️

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 12:33am The government has caused financial distress through its inept policies which is putting a lot of pressure on households and causing all sorts of problems for families like domestic violence. But the government wants us to point the finger at other men.
Which government? State, federal or both? Also, the rising rate of DV has been an ongoing issue for a long time now. One could say governments past and present haven’t been doing enough to find solutions.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Sainternist wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 12:12pm
SaintPav wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 12:33am The government has caused financial distress through its inept policies which is putting a lot of pressure on households and causing all sorts of problems for families like domestic violence. But the government wants us to point the finger at other men.
Which government? State, federal or both? Also, the rising rate of DV has been an ongoing issue for a long time now. One could say governments past and present haven’t been doing enough to find solutions.
Factually incorrect. Domestic violence deaths have decreased by around 60% over the past twenty-five years or so. The recent spike still leaves us with the third lowest number on record.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dis Believer wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 12:28pm
Factually incorrect. Domestic violence deaths have decreased by around 60% over the past twenty-five years or so. The recent spike still leaves us with the third lowest number on record.
So, why is this issue getting so much press and being raised so often by the general public? There were huge demonstrations right across the country last weekend. Whether these stats you speak of are correct or not, this is a major issue within the current zeitgeist. Perhaps we just need to be mindful of DV being a problem and do our best to stamp it out, no matter what? After all, it’s a pretty heinous thing and always a poor reflection on any culture and society. Call me crazy, but as a man, I’d rather not take the issue lightly and/or be defensive about it.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Although an extremely important issue in its own right, Albo has jumped on the DV and violence against women bandwagon in an attempt to distract the general public from the utter destruction of Australia, as we know it, brought on by him and his totally inept government.

If someone does not like this post for political reasons, then tough s***.

I rest my case on a truth Defence.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 1:42pm Although an extremely important issue in its own right, Albo has jumped on the DV and violence against women bandwagon in an attempt to distract the general public from the utter destruction of Australia, as we know it, brought on by him and his totally inept government.

Another silly post
Any prime minister of worth would tackle this issue, if he didn’t people like you would be the most critical

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

sendmehomehappy wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 1:42pm

I don’t like this post on the basis of needless hostility.

The content before this was an opinion that you didn’t back up… which is fine.
Then you fire the above out directed at… the people that didn’t criticise the opinion. No need to preempt hostilities… political opinions can fly as long as they’re posted respectfully

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

The timing and the scope of the PMs tackle says it all about the superficiality of the bloke and his political spinners

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

As we’re talking about the current spike, I’m referring to the current incompetent government and their short sighted policies, but they’re all pretty useless as far as I’m concerned.

Why do people think that an expert bureaucrat can fix this when they are the ones who are causing conditions that are making the problem even worse.

"I prefer true but imperfect knowledge, even if it leaves much indetermined and unpredictable, to a pretence of exact knowledge that is likely to be false"

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 3:01pm
As we’re talking about the current spike, I’m referring to the current incompetent government and their short sighted policies, but they’re all pretty useless as far as I’m concerned.

Why do people think that an expert bureaucrat can fix this when they are the ones who are causing conditions that are making the problem even worse.

"I prefer true but imperfect knowledge, even if it leaves much indetermined and unpredictable, to a pretence of exact knowledge that is likely to be false"
I suppose governments are partly to blame. There a many other factors that would contribute to it, though. Social and economic, obviously. Culture is definitely another. Poverty is also another. And yes, governments are at fault when there are increases in poverty. Nevertheless, I don’t think this is an issue we can ignore or take lightly. Perhaps it’s not such a bad thing for there to be more awareness on the issue. I can’t see any harm in the general public being educated about it.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 3:01pm The government has caused financial distress through its inept policies which is putting a lot of pressure on households and causing all sorts of problems for families like domestic violence. But the government wants us to point the finger at other men.
I am not sure if this is increasing issue, or if it's being more widely acknoweldged as an issue because of the victims speaking out.

But, just to be clear, men are violent toward women because they are stonger and feel the need to be dominant of those they supposedly love, and you think governments are to blame and not the men?

It's not just domestic violence (I hate that it has it's own sub-category - like it somehow normalises it) that's on the rise. It's all violence against women. Is that the government's fault, too?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not sure where you are getting your information from but the stats clearly demonstrate that violent crime has been falling over time in Australia.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/peopl ... me-summary

I’ve even summarised the key parts nicely for you:

• Physical Assault victimisation rate declined from 3.8% in 2008-09 to 1.8% in 2021-22 (over 50% decrease)

• Robbery victimisation rate dropped from 0.6% in 2008-09 to 0.2% in 2021-22 (two-thirds reduction)

• Sexual Assault victimisation rate remained relatively stable between 0.2% and 0.3%

• Significant decreases in victimisation rates for violent crimes like physical assault and robbery

• Large percentage declines demonstrate that violent crime, particularly physical assault and robbery, has fallen substantially over time in Australia

I have a feeling that these numbers are due to cyclical factors like the economic cycle, particularly the unemployment rate, which has also been falling over the same time period. It’s well understood that crime tends to fluctuate with the economic cycle and is direct related to financial hardship.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 8119301027

Yes, I agree there will always be bullies who will inflict pain and suffering on weaker people unfortunately, but the reported stats don’t align with your claims.

Unfortunately, it sounds like breaking news is brainwashing people.

"To the extent that propaganda is based on current news, it cannot permit time for thought or reflection." When everything is urgent, you are forced to "remain on the surface of the event."
Ellul

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I did say that "I am not sure if this is increasing issue, or if it's being more widely acknoweldged as an issue because of the victims speaking out."
But good on you for researching!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

So any of the “footy should just be footy” section decide to protest tonight by keeping their seat?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 11:53pm So any of the “footy should just be footy” section decide to protest tonight by keeping their seat?
Your attempts to trivialise and point score this issue are appalling.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 11:25pm
But good on you for researching!
🤦😂

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 10:49pm Not sure where you are getting your information from but the stats clearly demonstrate that violent crime has been falling over time in Australia.

• Physical Assault victimisation rate declined from 3.8% in 2008-09 to 1.8% in 2021-22 (over 50% decrease)

• Robbery victimisation rate dropped from 0.6% in 2008-09 to 0.2% in 2021-22 (two-thirds reduction)

• Sexual Assault victimisation rate remained relatively stable between 0.2% and 0.3%

• Significant decreases in victimisation rates for violent crimes like physical assault and robbery

• Large percentage declines demonstrate that violent crime, particularly physical assault and robbery, has fallen substantially over time in Australia

I have a feeling that these numbers are due to cyclical factors like the economic cycle, particularly the unemployment rate, which has also been falling over the same time period. It’s well understood that crime tends to fluctuate with the economic cycle and is direct related to financial hardship.

Yes, I agree there will always be bullies who will inflict pain and suffering on weaker people unfortunately, but the reported stats don’t align with your claims.

"To the extent that propaganda is based on current news, it cannot permit time for thought or reflection." When everything is urgent, you are forced to "remain on the surface of the event."
Ellul
Well done on pointing out the facts

20 or 30 or 40 years ago people didn't have cctv or mobile phones capturing every single crime that occurred. There was a lot of it, but you didn't get it on the nightly news every single fkn bulletin.

Why is it do you think that the commercial networks want to ram this stuff down our throats? It's a distraction. It's also a lot easier to present stuff to the masses that is easily digestible.

Video evidence is good for producers. That ensures it always makes it to the nightly bulletin. Great when you have reporters as pretty as fashion models too (male and female). No need to present great journalism. Just employ people who look like Instagram influencers who can read at year 9 level.

No point trying to explain anything complex like serious National or International issues.

Keep the public stupid. We don't want them doing their own research or having the capacity to think for themselves.

The lead news story every fkn night at 6 PM seems to be about a crime of some sort.

Either some one got shot at in suburbia, or some one went berserk at their local Centrelink , or someone with a screw loose went off their meds and grabbed a knife at Westfield.

Yes..I know it might seem important and all sympathy to anyone caught up in any of it or their families, but in the larger scheme of things...who gives a s***?!

If I want to read the fkn daily Police crime report I'll fkn go and source the fkn thing for myself!

The topic of Domestic Violence requires a National approach. I believe that prevention and education is key. Look out for behaviours early on when kids are in Primary School. Teach kids about respect and tolerance. I think in general that society is getting better.

I think it's such a complex area, however ALL efforts to raise awareness help. We also obviously need to do more as a community and our health care system and response teams and police need more resources.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 12:39am
The_Dud wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 11:53pm So any of the “footy should just be footy” section decide to protest tonight by keeping their seat?
Your attempts to trivialise and point score this issue are appalling.
Oh, please, go on!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 3:18am
SaintPav wrote: Sat 04 May 2024 10:49pm Not sure where you are getting your information from but the stats clearly demonstrate that violent crime has been falling over time in Australia.

Ellul

20 or 30 or 40 years ago people didn't have cctv or mobile phones capturing every single crime that occurred. There was a lot of it, but you didn't get it on the nightly news every single fkn bulletin.

Why is it do you think that the commercial networks want to ram this stuff down our throats? It's a distraction. It's also a lot easier to present stuff to the masses that is easily digestible.

Video evidence is good for producers. That ensures it always makes it to the nightly bulletin. Great when you have reporters as pretty as fashion models too (male and female). No need to present great journalism. Just employ people who look like Instagram influencers who can read at year 9 level.

No point trying to explain anything complex like serious National or International issues.

Keep the public stupid. We don't want them doing their own research or having the capacity to think for themselves.

The lead news story every fkn night at 6 PM seems to be about a crime of some sort.

Either some one got shot at in suburbia, or some one went berserk at their local Centrelink , or someone with a screw loose went off their meds and grabbed a knife at Westfield.

Yes..I know it might seem important and all sympathy to anyone caught up in any of it or their families, but in the larger scheme of things...who gives a s***?!

If I want to read the fkn daily Police crime report I'll fkn go and source the fkn thing for myself!

The topic of Domestic Violence requires a National approach. I believe that prevention and education is key. Look out for behaviours early on when kids are in Primary School. Teach kids about respect and tolerance. I think in general that society is getting better.

I think it's such a complex area, however ALL efforts to raise awareness help. We also obviously need to do more as a community and our health care system and response teams and police need more resources.
You hear certain generations going on about back when they were kids they’d “leave the house in the morning and come home when the street lights came on” and now “it’s too dangerous for kids to go outside!”

Fact is 2024 is the ‘safest’ year in human history, and 2025 will be even safer, but the media attention you mention above distorts perception.

Saying all that though doesn’t mean we can’t do even better in certain categories.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 8:50am
Scollop wrote: Sun 05 May 2024 3:18am

Ellul

You hear certain generations going on about back when they were kids they’d “leave the house in the morning and come home when the street lights came on” and now “it’s too dangerous for kids to go outside!”

Fact is 2024 is the ‘safest’ year in human history, and 2025 will be even safer, but the media attention you mention above distorts perception.

Saying all that though doesn’t mean we can’t do even better in certain categories.
Though far from a conspiracy theorist, I wonder if selection bias comes into play with reporting of statistics. Ed O’Donahue is a long term family friend and as a former Minister for Corrections and Minister for Crime Prevention as well as Shadow Minister for Crime and Policing is open in stating the spin involved in reporting of crime statistics.

A perfect example of Govt spin is employment numbers, where long term unemployed (unemployable or dole bludgers) were known to be transferred to pensions or even low hour casuals were deemed employed. My cynical side says this is solely for reporting basis.

In regard to crime I believe personal experience dictates opinion as much as main stream media.

In the streets I live in Vic & QLD, the neighbors all band together and pay for a private security guard to sit in our street from 11pm to 5am. This is due to the amount of crime in the area including violent home invasions of which I have personally experienced.

The Police on the ground in these areas will openly tell you that youth crimes are out of control and the court system provide little more than a slap on the wrist.

Yes I used to go out in the morning and come home at dusk in the 60’s and 70’s and no I would not let my children and grand children do the same.

This is not due to main stream media but on the back of first hand experience and the direct feedback from law enforcement officials on the ground.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It’s not a conspiracy. I have friends who worked at the ABS. They change their methodologies all the time, usually to save costs as they are terribly underfunded.

Everyone who works in economics knows that unemployment and CPI are bogus and don’t reflect reality. Actual results are at least 2x.

It’s not unreasonable to suggest that crime is also underreported.

Who benefits from having key statistics underreported!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Lets remember the final outcome of the Lovett saga as told the The Age Newspaper
Jury finds Lovett not guilty of rape charges
ByAdrian Lowe
July 22, 2011 — 12.00am

The former Essendon and St Kilda player Andrew Lovett has been found not guilty of two counts of rape.

The Victorian County Court jury handed down its verdict this afternoon after beginning deliberations on Thursday afternoon.

Lovett wept as the jury of seven women and five men acquitted him of all charges, and then hugged his mother, his lawyer and several supporters.

Lovett did not comment outside court, but his manager, Alex McDonald, would not rule out Lovett making an AFL comeback, and said the footballer would consider several options over the coming days.

After Lovett's acquittal, an AFL spokesman said he was welcome to return to playing at the top level.

"The AFL’s view is that Andrew is fully entitled to nominate again for the AFL draft if he wishes to do so, and then it would be a matter if any club chose to select him," an AFL spokesman said.

"If he was again drafted by one of our clubs, he would certainly be accepted back into the competition."

Lovett and his then-St Kilda teammate, Jason Gram, met his accuser, a model, and her friend at the Royal Saxon Hotel in Richmond on December 23, 2009, and went back to Gram's Port Melbourne apartment.

The jury heard that the woman was a responsive sexual partner and in his closing address, defence counsel David Grace, QC, said it was most likely that she had drunkenly given consent.

He said that, while she argued that a one-night stand would be out of character for her, the woman had done many things that night that were out of character.

That included drinking and kissing Gram several times when she did not know him very well.

The jury heard that Lovett did not wear a condom when having penile sex with the woman.

Mr Grace, in his closing address, described the complainant as an entirely unreliable witness whose credibility was compromised because of her inability to recall or remember many events of the night.

"On the evidence you have heard, you just could not be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt as to the prosecution's allegations and if you agree with me, then the only verdicts you can deliver are verdicts of not guilty in relation to each charge."

Mr Grace had described as "preposterous" the woman's evidence that she had tried to text her ex-boyfriend for help while having sex with Lovett. He said the phone records did not make this possible.

The woman testified: "I remember feeling someone on top of me and I thought I was dreaming or imagining it. Then I remember realising that someone was having sex and I scrambled away and said no. I grabbed my phone and I texted [an ex-boyfriend] for help."

Lovett did not testify and the defence called no witnesses but, in his record of interview, played to the jury, the 28-year-old said the woman was willing and a responsive sexual partner.

"There wasn't any problems ... like, it wasn't her going 'No, stop, don't do this' or screaming, or her saying 'hop off, hop off me'. There wasn't any of that," he told detectives.

"So yeah, at the time, it felt like it was right. It was consensual. We were both enjoying it. There wasn't any restrictions. It wasn't her saying 'Get off me, you're raping me.'

"I was sort of shocked to hear an allegation towards me, and I was, sort of, a bit offended."

Detective Senior Constable Brendan Payne asked him: "Did she know that it was you she was having sex with?"

Lovett replied: "Yeah, of course she did."

Senior Constable Payne: "Is it possible that she could've thought it was Jason?"

Lovett: "I dunno, you're going to have to ask [her] that ... You could tell that if I was Jason ... he's light skinned, I'm dark skinned."

Later, Senior Constable Payne asked: "So, in your mind, she fully knew it was you, is that what you're ... "

Lovett: "Yeah, she knew it was me, yeah."

The former footballer said he felt his then St Kilda teammates treated him harshly by accusing him straight away and that was why he left the apartment.

"That's when I got a bit defensive ... I thought I was a bit harsh done by. Everyone was all saying stuff and saying, you know, 'How could you bring the club down like this?' and all that kinda jazz.

"And I said 'Look, I haven't done anything wrong, mate. I swear to God' and I was pretty honest about that."

The jury also acquitted Lovett of an alternative third count of rape in which the prosecution alleged he failed to stop having sex after the woman said to stop.

Judge Meryl Sexton thanked the jurors for the way they had conducted themselves during the trial.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

So much about this case is similar to Higgins v Lehrmann
Drunk woman may or may not give consent and then cries rape.
The man in both cases is predatory despicable cad.
As the judge in the recent damages case suggested if the woman is too drunk to know what is going on it is NOT consensual and therefore as Lehmann was a rapist.
But then the publics views on drunken rape have changed in over a decade.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.