Tarryn Thomas, anyone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

United150

Re: Tarryn Thomas, anyone?

What a sad state of affairs. We support our team made up of players we love to see do well both on and off the field.
We take pride and feel joy in them performing well for our team.
To my mind there should be absolutely no question about bringing in a player with an ongoing history of this form of inappropriate behaviour.

In response you might bring up Sam Fisher. To me he served us and our club extremely well for years before falling of the rails in his afterlife. Sam gave us so much joy during his career we can feel genuinely saddened by what has happened to him. Past players and the club will no doubt feel a want to support him and, to me, this is expected and understandable. He was one of ours.

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Is Tarryn Thomas even that good of a player? He's never shown any sign of being a genuine a grader.

Wish we recruited ben cousins before '09 though.

St Dave

The_Dud wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 10:20am When someone beats their partner because they're in a foul mood after their team loses, I think that means sport has already been brought into it.

Not everyone has the luxury of 'escapism' or to 'forget life's troubles'
Anyone from the 'stick to sport' side going to engage with this key point?

As far as I am concerned, as long as any sport wants to sit alongside things that contribute to these kinds of issues in the community (eg gambling and alcohol), the least they can do is engage with those issues.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

avid wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 3:17am The fact is that in the 12 months ending June 30 last year, 70% of all murder victims in Australia were male. And that percentage is consistent over many years, so why is it that only female victims are newsworthy? Approximately 33% of all victims of domestic violence are male, why are we only interested in gendered violence against women? Across society in general, males are about 4 times more likely than females to be a victim of violence, so why is it only violence against females that we are concerned about - why is that so much more deserving of attention?
I am definitely on the left / liberal / progressive side of this debate.
But figures like these (assuming they're true) I think absolutely need to be understood and taken into account if we're going to get a real line of perspective on the whole issue.

The world is a lot more complex than all the simple narratives put together.
Ideals of justice, though, need to be put simply to cut through and inspire.
Let's not be so rigid that we form impenetrable battlelines.

I don't entirely trust figures like these coming from what I imagine are probably "anti-woke" channels.
Dis Believer, would you like to send me/us an official source for them?
Whatever they actually are, they require consideration.
[/quote]

Australian Insititute of Criminology......https://www.aic.gov.au/publications/sr/sr46

Download and read the paper.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Get the justice system sorted and then pass judgement.

The courts themselves let these people have free reign almost. Get them sorted out support the police an the social workers and the like and then we can pass judgemnt on the decision of a footy club.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 5:09am When a men fight one of them sometimes dies. When men fight women, guess who dies. How many of your 70% of male murder victims were killed by women?
I'm sorry, remind me again why the gender of the assailant is relevant? Dead is dead, and when you're dead, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whether the person who killed you has XX or XY chromosomes!

The point here is that 70% of murder victims are male and that doesn't rate a mention, and literally the only category of victims of violence that gets any focus is domestic violence - which happens to be the only category where females outnumber males as the victim!

Across the board, in totality, males represent about 70% of victims of violence in our society and 70% of homicide victims, yet we never hear about them, and there is rarely any call for anything to be done about that.

Of course, there are rivers of taxpayer funding to be accessed via the domestic violence path (now renamed "gendered violence" despite the fact that 33% of victims are male). And the fact is that the intimate partner homicide numbers in Australia had been dropping for the past few years, until a very recent spike.

If you make an effort to avoid the propaganda that is spat out by the militant feminist bureaucracy in Australia and get some untainted data such as straight from the ABS or elsewhere in the Western world, like the USA, Western Europe, you will see that fairly consistently about 50% of domestic violence incidents are categorised as "mutual combat", meaning both partners are violent to each other. And consistently the same predictors of domestic violence have nothing to do with "men needing to do better" or any other meaningless phrase. The predictors are - low education level, low socio-economic level, alcohol abuse, substance abuse.

The trope that they love to trot out in Australia is some middle aged, middle class white guy coming home and wailing on his wife after a bad day at the office. bulls***. Indigenous women in Australia are 34 times more likely to be hospitalized as a result of domestic violence than a non-indigenous woman. When was the last time you saw an indigenous woman in a DV poster?

Do you want a giggle? On a per capita basis, the highest incidence of domestic violence occurs in lesbian relationships, and the lowest rate occurs in gay male relationships! But you're right, men need to do better.......

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Nicky Winmar making a gesture towards feral Collingwood fans after a win

That was at least a footy related issue

I was a great ‘moment’ but has it stamped out racism in society?

Bit different to entire rounds to different causes

Like most others
I am not a woman basher
I am not racist
I am not homophonic
I support research into MND or other charities

The people who are those things don’t change their ways because of a themed game of footy

I don’t need to go to a footy game dedicated to a cause, I go to watch a sport

amusingname
Club Player

Dis Believer wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 4:36pm
freely wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 5:09am When a men fight one of them sometimes dies. When men fight women, guess who dies. How many of your 70% of male murder victims were killed by women?
I'm sorry, remind me again why the gender of the assailant is relevant? Dead is dead, and when you're dead, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whether the person who killed you has XX or XY chromosomes!

The point here is that 70% of murder victims are male and that doesn't rate a mention, and literally the only category of victims of violence that gets any focus is domestic violence - which happens to be the only category where females outnumber males as the victim!

Across the board, in totality, males represent about 70% of victims of violence in our society and 70% of homicide victims, yet we never hear about them, and there is rarely any call for anything to be done about that.

Of course, there are rivers of taxpayer funding to be accessed via the domestic violence path (now renamed "gendered violence" despite the fact that 33% of victims are male). And the fact is that the intimate partner homicide numbers in Australia had been dropping for the past few years, until a very recent spike.

If you make an effort to avoid the propaganda that is spat out by the militant feminist bureaucracy in Australia and get some untainted data such as straight from the ABS or elsewhere in the Western world, like the USA, Western Europe, you will see that fairly consistently about 50% of domestic violence incidents are categorised as "mutual combat", meaning both partners are violent to each other. And consistently the same predictors of domestic violence have nothing to do with "men needing to do better" or any other meaningless phrase. The predictors are - low education level, low socio-economic level, alcohol abuse, substance abuse.

The trope that they love to trot out in Australia is some middle aged, middle class white guy coming home and wailing on his wife after a bad day at the office. bulls***. Indigenous women in Australia are 34 times more likely to be hospitalized as a result of domestic violence than a non-indigenous woman. When was the last time you saw an indigenous woman in a DV poster?

Do you want a giggle? On a per capita basis, the highest incidence of domestic violence occurs in lesbian relationships, and the lowest rate occurs in gay male relationships! But you're right, men need to do better.......
So the gender of the assailant isn't relevant, only the victims sex, which is still overly represented by women when it comes to domestic violence deaths, even according the stats that you linked which states that 4 male victims were killed by their intimate partner, in comparison to 34 female victims? But no, that's those pesky lesbians of course.

As for the rest of your cherry picked stats, like the mutual combat garbage, that try to make out that men (apparently white men given your comments) are the ones hard done by any discussion of domestic violence, maybe take that to your next MRA meeting. Actually, that's probably where you got it in the first place.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 4:55pm

So the gender of the assailant isn't relevant, only the victims sex, which is still overly represented by women when it comes to domestic violence deaths, even according the stats that you linked which states that 4 male victims were killed by their intimate partner, in comparison to 34 female victims? But no, that's those pesky lesbians of course.

As for the rest of your cherry picked stats, like the mutual combat garbage, that try to make out that men (apparently white men given your comments) are the ones hard done by any discussion of domestic violence, maybe take that to your next MRA meeting. Actually, that's probably where you got it in the first place.
Explain to me why the much smaller number of women killed is a much more important issue than the much larger number of men killed?

For every woman killed in Australia, approximately two and a half men are killed. Why is that woman so much more important than those men?

And going by your logic, would it matter less if she were killed by another woman?

And no stats are cherry picked, and I am not trying to make out that men are hard done by. I am merely pointing out that mindlessly regurgitating simplistic phrases like "men must do better" will not resolve the issue, because the issue is not simple, and it is not a gendered issue. Having said that, the people starting those phrases don't want their "crisis" fixed, or their tax-payer funds and well-paid jobs would dry up.

This is really something you won't like, judging by your prior response. The phrase "men's violence against women and their children" started to be used between about 5 and 10 years ago, after a run of high press coverage cases of women killing their children. The irony of that little gem is that 50% of non-sexual abuse of children is perpetrated by the biological mother, against about 25% by the biological father. Before you ask, about 15% of abuse of children in total is sexual abuse.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

This trash argument doesn't even deserve a response, and certainly doesn't belong unchecked on a poorly moderated footy forum.

amusingname
Club Player

Dis Believer wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 5:19pm
amusingname wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 4:55pm

Explain to me why the much smaller number of women killed is a much more important issue than the much larger number of men killed?

For every woman killed in Australia, approximately two and a half men are killed. Why is that woman so much more important than those men?

And going by your logic, would it matter less if she were killed by another woman?

And no stats are cherry picked, and I am not trying to make out that men are hard done by. I am merely pointing out that mindlessly regurgitating simplistic phrases like "men must do better" will not resolve the issue, because the issue is not simple, and it is not a gendered issue. Having said that, the people starting those phrases don't want their "crisis" fixed, or their tax-payer funds and well-paid jobs would dry up.

This is really something you won't like, judging by your prior response. The phrase "men's violence against women and their children" started to be used between about 5 and 10 years ago, after a run of high press coverage cases of women killing their children. The irony of that little gem is that 50% of non-sexual abuse of children is perpetrated by the biological mother, against about 25% by the biological father. Before you ask, about 15% of abuse of children in total is sexual abuse.
You are too far gone mate, you can believe that domestic violence is in no way gendered and keep in your echo chamber of stats that you think back up your position, hopefully others can see through that and twig that there may be a problem.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 10:39am
The_Dud wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 10:20am When someone beats their partner because they're in a foul mood after their team loses, I think that means sport has already been brought into it.

Agree, this stance of 'make footy only about footy' is just not possible. Once it became a commercial product and has a governing body, it doesn't exist in a bubble to the rest of society. You can't un-ring that bell and say we will take broadcasting and sponsorship money, pay players big money and allow them to take on sponsorships, but we won't comment or take positions on any social issues or causes.

So the list of causes that people want removed from footy is:

- Domestic Violence and violence against women
- LGBT Pride
- Anzac day
- Blue ribbon
- Raising money and awareness for Cancer
- MND
- Mental health

Anything else that needs to go because it isn't about footy solely?
Nice list.

Who gets to decide what’s on the list?

If you reckon that the AFL, other corporations and the government genuinely care about social issues, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

All we need are more meaningless slogans.

Slogan is a Welsh word which means battle cry of the dead.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
amusingname
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 5:30pm
amusingname wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 10:39am

Agree, this stance of 'make footy only about footy' is just not possible. Once it became a commercial product and has a governing body, it doesn't exist in a bubble to the rest of society. You can't un-ring that bell and say we will take broadcasting and sponsorship money, pay players big money and allow them to take on sponsorships, but we won't comment or take positions on any social issues or causes.

So the list of causes that people want removed from footy is:

- Domestic Violence and violence against women
- LGBT Pride
- Anzac day
- Blue ribbon
- Raising money and awareness for Cancer
- MND
- Mental health

Anything else that needs to go because it isn't about footy solely?
Nice list.

Who gets to decide what’s on the list?

If you reckon that the AFL, other corporations and the government genuinely care about social issues, then I have a bridge to sell you.
According to B.M., its anything that isn't footy related, so if it isn't to do with the kicking of the ball, shouldn't be brought up at the game.

And no, I don't think the AFL is some altruistic organisation out for the good of society, but I believe that the charities and organisations that they partner with for games, like Freeze MND, Maddies Vision and Peter Mac are trying to raise awareness and funds for the good of those who need their support.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Mate, I go to the footy to get away from life’s issues

Not to have them rammed down my throat

Want to deal with domestic violence- start with harsher penalties for woman bashing!

Be as woke as you want, on your high horse. Me, I just want to watch the footy

The AFL benefiting from ANZAC day (for an entire weekend) makes me sick!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Surely No to trading out Battle :shock:

No to bringing in Thomas :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 02 May 2024 7:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

They say "men must do better" because men are doing all of the killing!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 4:38pm Nicky Winmar making a gesture towards feral Collingwood fans after a win

That was at least a footy related issue

I was a great ‘moment’ but has it stamped out racism in society?

Bit different to entire rounds to different causes

Like most others
I am not a woman basher
I am not racist
I am not homophonic
I support research into MND or other charities

The people who are those things don’t change their ways because of a themed game of footy

I don’t need to go to a footy game dedicated to a cause, I go to watch a sport
You think Nicky's stance on the footy field and later work has had no impact on racism in this country?

We have racial slurs on the footy field and in the crowd.
We have homophobic slurs on the footy field and in the crowd.
We have current and former footy players suffering (missing games of footy) and dying front mental illness.
We have current and former footy players committing domestic violence offences (missing games of footy).
And so on.

So it seems to me they are all footy related issues.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 5:53pm Mate, I go to the footy to get away from life’s issues

Nobody is ramming anything down your throat. Get a beer, a pie, take a big s***, or just walk around inside the stadium before the game.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

It will basically come down to what it coats. If he is still on the table come fourth round then absolutely. He will go somewhere if fit and cools end up one hell of a bargain

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 6:04pm
Its that sort of generalist platitude that causes nothing to be done. Moral outrage! Men stop it! Ok, told the choir off so we move on to another cause. If this horror is to stop there needs to be drill down into the offenders profiles, specific triggers, early flagging, escape routes for women and much better judicial steps.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 7:22pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 6:04pm
Its that sort of generalist platitude that causes nothing to be done. Moral outrage! Men stop it! Ok, told the choir off so we move on to another cause. If this horror is to stop there needs to be drill down into the offenders profiles, specific triggers, early flagging, escape routes for women and much better judicial steps.
Doing one doesn’t mean you can’t do the others…

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Another issue IMO is the picking btw causes.

I want to start this opinion off by making it clear that this view is not directed specifically at particular forumites - most notably BM and fireman who have expressed a preference for football to stay out of social issues. I respect that and don’t want to implicate either of you in the following (and have never heard you express opinions of this vain).

The people that take this stance, take it when a position is adopted that they don’t agree with.
The Anzac tribute is beloved.
Generally speaking people have mostly liked and seen the importance of the dream round but when the Adam Goodes stuff happened or the suggestion of the voice came people questioned the politics.

LGBTQI round was a $#its0w of criticism
Woman’s round less so

Personally… I kind of lean in to what Dud posted above. Like it or not, footy is intertwined into most if not all of these issues in one shape/form or another. This platform has done a lot of good for many causes and I think that to a degree, we all have a responsibility to do what we can for the betterment of society.

Saints43
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 01 May 2024 10:09pm I am a former serviceman who served in the gulf in 92
Thank you for your service.
Did you get some Exxon shares?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 02 May 2024 5:53pm Mate, I go to the footy to get away from life’s issues

Want to deal with domestic violence- start with harsher penalties for woman bashing!

Be as woke as you want, on your high horse. Me, I just want to watch the footy

The AFL benefiting from ANZAC day (for an entire weekend) makes me sick!
Can’t love this post enough.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL