Outrageous

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Outrageous

WTF did Peter Wright only get 4 weeks. incident almost identical to the Webster incident.

The press down played this which sickens me .

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Outrageous

I don’t know about identical… I’d have given Wright a 1 week discount for not being late. Deserved 6 for mine

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Deserved at least five.

But it’s fine to f—- over the small clubs. It’s only St Kilda

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Almost identical? Nah. It was in the play. Actually it was very much like Maynard's last year. Went to smother then turned and hit Brayshaw in the head who was then concussed. 2 metre Pedro went to mark then turned and hit Cunningham who was concussed.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I thought 4 weeks was a little harsh. There wasn’t any malice in it. Maybe slightly clumsy because he braced himself. You can’t compare it with the Webster incident, which was both reckless and late. Wright collided with Cunningham at the same time the ball arrived.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2024 10:44pm I thought 4 weeks was a little harsh. There wasn’t any malice in it. Maybe slightly clumsy because he braced himself. You can’t compare it with the Webster incident, which was both reckless and late. Wright collided with Cunningham at the same time the ball arrived.
Nah can't agree ... it was the Edge that caused it

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The paradox: I'll put the full weight of my very large person at top pace into a defenceless guy, looking the other way, in the vicinity of his head and hope it all goes OK. No malice because I didn't want to cause brain damage, just hurt him a lot. Nothing personal, s*** happens. Yeah wasn't malicious because on reflection I didn't want to kill him dead. Just break a part of his body.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

They set themselves to go at Sydney with aggression.He's lucky to only get the four, for mine. I think Draper's one was worthy of a week too, tbh.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Bin Chicken
Club Player

Was similar to Plugger and Caven for me. Ran back blindly and ran into a guy leading. Will go to grave saying Plugger did nothing wrong. Wright just seemed to brace when he saw the Shitney guy was in his path

Sanctorum
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2024 9:35pm Almost identical? Nah. It was in the play. Actually it was very much like Maynard's last year. Went to smother then turned and hit Brayshaw in the head who was then concussed. 2 metre Pedro went to mark then turned and hit Cunningham who was concussed.
That's my perspective as well, Wright's bump was nowhere as severe as Webster's on Jy Simpkin, I thought 4 weeks was fair in this case.

Max King's suspension sets a new precedent for the MRO as in the past his bump on Finlay Macrae would have resulted in a fine. It is obvious that the AFL is clamping down on any contact to the head in order to prevent players being concussed.

Concussion is a massive issue in football today and while it's all very well for former players like Wayne Carey and commentators like Eddie McGuire to lament that footy is becoming "soft", when you read reports of how chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) has destroyed the life of footballers, it is quite understandable that the AFL had to tackle this matter much more seriously.

For example there was the death in February of former Colliongwood and Richmond player Craig Stewart, who succumbed to CTE at 66.

Then there's the horrific story this week of Footscray's Nigel Kellett who at age 54 suffers from dementia, CTE symptoms, early Parkinson's, depression, all attributed to concussions incurred on the footy field.

And closer to home, a talisman of our footy club, Danny Frawley.

We all love to see the strong physicality of AFL, the courage of players like Nick Riewoldt's spectacular mark running back with the flight of the ball straight into advancing defenders.

But we've now reached the stage where taking out an opponent with a bump to the head without due care is going to result in a suspension, irrespective of whether a player was concussed or not.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2024 7:50pm WTF did Peter Wright only get 4 weeks. incident almost identical to the Webster incident.

The press down played this which sickens me .
Absolutely nothing like Webster's incident.
But it was worse than SPP from Port - which got four.
Should have been 5 weeks minimum.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Bin Chicken wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2024 9:20am Was similar to Plugger and Caven for me. Ran back blindly and ran into a guy leading. Will go to grave saying Plugger did nothing wrong. Wright just seemed to brace when he saw the Shitney guy was in his path
Plugger raised the forearm - instant trouble. If he'd tucked his arm in, he'd have been OK. Caven would still have been knocked into the middle of next month, but there'd have been no report.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2024 10:39am It is obvious that the AFL is clamping down on any contact to the head in order to prevent players being concussed.
That's clearly not the case.
There were multiple instances in the first 2 and-a-half rounds where head high contact hasn't been punished.
What they are cracking down on is a bump that goes high.

It's reactionary by the AFL...But that is nothing new.
They punish a bump to the shoulder - which is a a football act - that causes a clash of heads wasn't a head-high bump. But they forgive a punch - which is not a football act - that makes contact with the shoulder and then slips and goes high.

You should always punish the non-football act more harshly than the football act.

Webster's 7 weeks for a careless football act is completely outrageous. We should have taken it as far as we could on appeal.
I'd cop 7 if it was graded as intentional, and you could argue that it should have been, but it wasn't.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Geez it looked clumsy by Wright. He didn't need to flatten the Sydney player.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2024 12:09am
Sainternist wrote: Tue 26 Mar 2024 10:44pm I thought 4 weeks was a little harsh. There wasn’t any malice in it. Maybe slightly clumsy because he braced himself. You can’t compare it with the Webster incident, which was both reckless and late. Wright collided with Cunningham at the same time the ball arrived.
The guitarist of U2?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Bin Chicken wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2024 9:20am Was similar to Plugger and Caven for me. Ran back blindly and ran into a guy leading. Will go to grave saying Plugger did nothing wrong.
Almost the most inane comment I have ever read on here.

Suggest you go to YouTube and check it out again, Lockett changes direction to collect him and lunges his arm at his head

I was at that game and it was a disgusting act

Made even worse by the club trying to defend it in the ensuing days

It was an embarrassing act by a fabulous player

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Bin Chicken
Club Player

Not inane at all. Just watched a vid. When Plugger saw that Caven was gonna mark the ball - and he wouldn’t mark it - he braces himself for the collision. Even the umps told him after he had nothing to worry about lol.

What if the ball travelled further, Plugger marked it then Caven ran into him? Plugger had eyes on the ball - like Wright - then next second there’s this guy in front of you and you have micro seconds to react. I’ll stand by my opinion. Plugger was a physical player and served weeks for a lot of indiscretions. But he wasn’t a dirty prick like Hodge or Pickett or Hall and numerous others.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Plugger lined him up with elbow cocked

Not a great incident

Indefensible

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Wright was described as a "
Gentle giant" on Channel 7 news tonight. :roll:

Big Max
Club Player

Bin Chicken wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2024 9:20am Was similar to Plugger and Caven for me. Ran back blindly and ran into a guy leading. Will go to grave saying Plugger did nothing wrong. Wright just seemed to brace when he saw the Shitney guy was in his path
Mine is a subtle variation of the Plugger incident. Plugger was at his unstoppable best at that time, and I'm convinced the Sydney coach, Ron Barrassi instructed his player to run straight at Plugger when he was on the lead. And Plugger, being Plugger just ran straight through the defender.

They couldn't beat Plugger, so they did the next best thing and stole him with the full support and backing of the AFL.

And I'm taking it to the grave.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2024 1:25pm
Devilhead wrote: Wed 27 Mar 2024 12:09am
The guitarist of U2?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Plugged was just making sure they didn't both get concussed with an accidental clash of heads. He was concerned about his own health and Caven's apparent lack of awareness, putting himself in a very dangerous position. I hope the lad is ok though.