Votes v Dons

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

avid
Club Player

Re: Votes v Dons

Scollop wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2024 8:29pm
avid wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2024 8:17pm
I know Bonner stuffed up a number of times. (Like everyone else, I'm not convinced he's a reliable enough defender.)
But he had almost twice as many kicks as anyone else, and he picked up more than a kilometre's worth of metres gained.
I don't recall a St Kilda player ever getting near that (since they started measuring it) It may only have happen once or twice in history.
That's got to count for something.
Did you watch the match? Honestly...did you?

First of all he is a receiver. Not hard to gather disposal numbers running past your team mates. I reckon 6-7 touches where they are not required ( the guy handballing to him could have just kicked it himself)

He's supposed to be a good kick, so his team mates honour his run and give it to him. He gets uncontested possessions so he's required to use it effectively. He didn't!

Secondly he steps over the line and kicks out after a behind is scored, so there's probably 7-8 kicks that anyone could do. No effort...PLUS...once again he's required to use it effectively. He didn't!

Take out 5 useless receives, take out 5 useless kick outs, and take out half a dozen clangers and he's an average contributor. If you also factor in the times he's supposed to defend or hold up the ball and he just refuses to put his head over it, he's a liability overall
(I'm leaving the Nick Daicos argument out of this -- irrelevant here.)

I was actually at the game -- so I didn't hear the broadcast commentary.
We were in the second row from the very top, so didn't see exactly which players were doing all the turnovers. Or who took all the kick outs.
I didn't have the heart to watch the replay when I got home.

Now I've just heard someone say that Bonner made 17 turnovers. That sounds like an almost impossible feat. (just like gaining 1000 metres is)
It is all astonishing. I've generally found "metres gained" to be a fairly good indicator of "contribution made" for those expected to be delivering field position.
So, if that 17 turnovers stat is right, I concede defeat. Bonner takes the prize for the greatest meterage of terrible delivery ever achieved, and we move on.

Could someone confirm that turnovers stat? Where do you find that information?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If you haven't got the afl app installed on your device, then you need to go to afl.com.au and navigate to fixture, Round 3 matches (Select Essendon vs St Kilda) and once you have match results up for our game click Players.

That will give you statistics for each player. You need to select Riley Bonner and it should give you all his individual stats

Nice photo of Riley ...and our boys in the album below

https://www.afl.com.au/albums/1097597/a ... istSize=10

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saintkev wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 7:01pm
avid wrote: Sat 30 Mar 2024 8:17pm I know Bonner stuffed up a number of times. (Like everyone else, I'm not convinced he's a reliable enough defender.)
But he had almost twice as many kicks as anyone else, and he picked up more than a kilometre's worth of metres gained.
I don't recall a St Kilda player ever getting near that (since they started measuring it) It may only have happen once or twice in history.
That's got to count for something.
Metres gained? WTF? It’s a nonsense statistic. Even the AFL’s definition is a crock.
I am this close to turning this thing around and going home - do you want that??

That goes for Curly and Scollop as well.
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Mon 01 Apr 2024 7:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

How do you suggest we debate commentary that people include with their votes?

Have a look at the original post. This is a tradition. Many posters including George27 like to provide reasons for their votes

Should the mods monitor the votes thread each week and delete comments?

Do you want a new rule with this thread?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 7:51pm How do you suggest we debate commentary that people include with their votes?
Scollop - I have suggested many times that there is a votes discussion thread - you can quote there and discuss as much as you want - My biggest issues are:
- votes getting wedged between drivel; and
- people quoting others votes, not the text - but the votes as well - this can cause issues with algorithms.

If people want to continue this way - then so be it - but surely there can be a votes discussion thread - and if you have an issue - just post here you have referenced the vote discussion thread - then GO FOR IT!

In the past, when people have gotten into it - the voting thread has been pages long with - Seb did this - Longer did that - Hickey no good etc with just a dozen votes - this is usually after a loss.
Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 7:51pm Do you want a new rule with this thread?
This is suggested in the Eastern Memorial Player of the Year Thread
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 24 Mar 2024 9:21am Welcome to a new year of the Trophy - the 17th year

I have organised the Trophy for Jack and engraving of his name on the Cup which will be at Moorabbin for all to see shortly.
I was able to present the trophy to Jack on Tuesday 5th March at at the Preseason Event.
If anyone wants to contribute to these costs ($150) please PM me.

Anyway the guidelines for 2024:
- Voting is open to all
- one post per poster
- 15 points available for distribution
- please vote Best on downwards (voting for position ie 1. Best on will result in your Best on getting 1 vote)
- abnormal voting (eg 15 to the one player) will be excluded
- please keep arguing to a different thread
- please use the players name - or well known nickname - I have had some imaginative nominations in the past (I can deal with spelling mistakes)
- votes for umpires or opposition will be excluded
- If the votes are published (by time stamp) no amendments to the votes can be made

Thank you
Have fun
Stay Safe - Stay Sane

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad

When I do my votes next time, I’ll start a Votes Discussion thread. I’ll provide a link at the bottom of my voting post.

Cheers and sorry to mess with your algo bot

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 10:56am Sainter_Dad

When I do my votes next time, I’ll start a Votes Discussion thread. I’ll provide a link at the bottom of my voting post.

No problems - I look forward to your discussions.

And BTW - the suggestion to take it elsewhere literally came from when people would quote including the other persons votes - then it would be requoted, and requoted and requoted ad nauseum. The result was a couple of miscounts - especially when I would just copy the text from a page and go through and look for:

So it was decided ......

Maybe George27 can start both threads.

― Aristophanes

saintbob
SS Life Member

5 Steele
4 Ross
3 Marshall
2 Higgins
1 NWM

George27
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 12:13pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 10:56am Sainter_Dad

No problems - I look forward to your discussions.

And BTW - the suggestion to take it elsewhere literally came from when people would quote including the other persons votes - then it would be requoted, and requoted and requoted ad nauseum. The result was a couple of miscounts - especially when I would just copy the text from a page and go through and look for:

So it was decided ......

Maybe George27 can start both threads.
I will let Scollop start a discussion thread ! I am happy to start the purely voting thread whenever I can get to the game or otherwise can watch it. We can - and do - have legitimate reasons for differing as to who has played well ( or not), but I am keen for the vote thread just to be the 5/4/3/2/1 breakdown ( which makes life easier for SainterDad) . If Scollop can deflect the comments into another thread , that would be great.

older saint
SS Life Member

5.Ross
4.Steele
3.Higgins
2. Marshall
1. Phillipou

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

85 Ross
76 Steele
35 Marshall
25 Higgins
20 Hill
11 Wanganeen-Milera
10 Sinclair
6 Bonner
6 Phillipou
3 Battle
3 Wilkie
2 Caminiti

Therefore:
5 Ross
4 Steele
3 Marshall
2 Higgins
1 Hill

― Aristophanes

saynta
Saintsational Legend

5. Seb
4. Steele
3. Higgins
2. Marshall
1. The Poo