Changes for tge Richmond at Gather Round.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for tge Richmond at Gather Round.

Losing with players like Butler, Bonner and Membrey playing is doubly wasteful. Using debutantes as subs means it more a strategic sub than a tactical sub and it has to be accepted from the start there is unlikely to be an injection of momentum when introduced. It's for the individual to experience the glare of the footlights. If that's the approach ok, but it means winning isn't the main objective that day.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

I just wonder if we try Sharman on a wing as he's a similar size and type of player as Woods.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Lynch and Balta are both out for the Tigers.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 2:09pm If you need to start dropping players because 'they're missing set shots' how do you explain Higgins and King holding their spots last 2 years?

The reason I'd leave Cooper in the side is because he's versatile. The coach played him in defence in the VFL early last year and they're doing the same thing this year with Keeler. Check out Coop's pressure acts before he was subbed. Sharman stays in because he puts opposition under pressure. How many of our blokes put on smothers?

I think it's unfortunate for Hammer but one of the talls definitely misses with Max coming straight back in. We know Cooper is normally a reliable mark and set shot. I think he's due.

Also, I think he'll be more suited to make Vlastuin accountable (and that's a key match up we can't afford to stuff up).

I think young Darcy Wilson comes out of the side and Collard and Garcia come in. Darcy only laid 1 tackle for the whole game. Goes missing for large parts. Butler wasn't much better, and he may struggle second game back from injury. They need to nurse his time on ground next week.

I'd be backing Angus again as the sub and I think Bonner has to stay in the team because of the fact that we're injury depleted and he's AFL match fit. Only thing is we just don't have him playing in defence. Give him a role higher up the ground.
Make some good points Scollop. I rate it.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 2:09pm

The reason I'd leave Cooper in the side is because he's versatile.

Versatile at not playing good footy? He's playerd 3 very average games and in all positions.

He'd be hanging onto his spot only because of injury and suspension to other players.

Hayes will keep both Sharman and Camaniti out of the side if he can stay injury free.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 7:54pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 2:09pm

The reason I'd leave Cooper in the side is because he's versatile.

Versatile at not playing good footy? He's playerd 3 very average games and in all positions.

He'd be hanging onto his spot only because of injury and suspension to other players.

Hayes will keep both Sharman and Camaniti out of the side if he can stay injury free.
First game Sharman played 45-50% time on ground in Defence. Second round identical. Third round against Essendon, he spent 63% in defence!!

Sharman plays where his coach tells him to play. Seems to me that he is helping out our undermanned and undersized defenders. Membrey did it in several games last year.

He is a dangerous forward. Usually reliable with holding his marks and slotting set shot goals.

Maybe if the coach kept him in the forward line he'd be winning us games.

I don't agree that Caminiti will take his spot. I think Hayes needs to show that he is worthy of getting a senior game again. I think that might take a few weeks.
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 01 Apr 2024 8:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 11:30am
Richmond with Lynch out are not overly tall forward so cant see how schoenmaker gets a run no match up.
In that case is there a need for Cordy

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 8:05pm

He is a dangerous forward.

His time in the forward line has been anything but dangerous, he put in an absolute stinker against the Don's.

What's he played now? 38 games? He's delivering about a half decent game about every 20 games.

Needs to be doing way more than that before being given the title as a dangerous forward.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 8:22pm

His time in the forward line has been anything but dangerous, he put in an absolute stinker against the Don's.

What's he played now? 38 games? He's delivering about a half decent game about every 20 games.

Needs to be doing way more than that before being given the title as a dangerous forward.
I wouldn't call it an absolute stinker. You're desperately trying to justify you're early call on Sharman from 2022.

You can't get everything right. You did make a good call on Collingwood. You never know...that could come good

Just admit it. You're wrong on Cooper. He's going to make is a footballer. I see upside and I see an asset for our list

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 8:30pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 8:22pm

I wouldn't call it an absolute stinker. You're desperately trying to justify you're early call on Sharman from 2022.

You can't get everything right. You did make a good call on Collingwood. You never know...that could come good

Just admit it. You're wrong on Cooper. He's going to make is a footballer. I see upside and I see an asset for our list
I hope he proves me wrong but his first 3 games have been very. very average and that's even with considerable time in the forward line.

He has a lot of deficiencies as a player and I haven't seen anything in his first 3 games this season to prove me wrong yet.

I mean how long can he survive on the list when he only bobs up every 20 games or so with a multiple goal game.

You have to be honest and agree he doesn't exactly have the stats a be labelled a dangerous forward?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I find it amusing how many on here want to be proven wrong :D

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone know what day this week the club travels to Adelaide ?

Will they be Training at Moorabbin on Friday morning ?

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 1:53pm Caminiti still runs around like a headless chook, he doesn’t have much forward craft, he basically needs the ball to fall in his lap. He had 2 good bits of play in a 5 minute period where he hung into a good grab, and had a good tackle.

Sharman got moved into the forward line and took 2 great marks on the lead, he is a forward.

Caminiti is just as likely to injure King flying against him for a mark as kick a goal.
Sadly, I agree with this completely. Last year at the start I was so excited about Caminiti. He was young, aggressive, lead hard and had sticky fingers. Now he looks like a newborn foal running around. Yeah he kicked a couple and I’m on record as not being a huge Sharman fan, but atm Sharman appears more likely. He is normally a beautiful kick so I’m hoping he can correct his tips. Caminiti is not a great kick. With King back in, just reckon Sharman plays the 3rd tall role better.

And just quietly, we need Members to play the 2nd fwd role better this week

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I checked the last game vs Tigers for stats.
To see which Tiger got the most possies.
Tim Taranto- 38 touches. AF points- 147

Will RTB let the guy go unchallenged or will he hard tag

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
older saint
SS Life Member

ace wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 8:10pm
older saint wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 11:30am
Richmond with Lynch out are not overly tall forward so cant see how schoenmaker gets a run no match up.
In that case is there a need for Cordy
I think he plays as they are likely to bring in Kosi and perhaps Sampson Ryan now Lynch and Balta gone.

Other thing is who else do we have fit and good enough to fill a back position.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sharman is slow for a mid size

Can take the odd catch and kicks it pretty well

Poor at ground level and defensively

He is very much a kick - mark player
That’d be alright if he was as big at Hawkins, Lynch or Lewis
At 193-90
He needs to be as agile as Gunston or Fritch

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 8:04pm Sharman is slow for a mid size

At 193-90
Very overrated, puts in a half ok game about once every 20 games. Only has one trick. He will probably get picked this week due to injury list but he should be very concerned Hayes will be pushing for selection in the next week or two.

I apologise to his fans but I don't think he is AFL standard long term.

3 rounds in though so the season is young.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Even a broken clock is right twice a day…

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I relish in the longevity of Sharman 😊

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Will Jones play?
Does he have a lower leg issue?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 9:27pm Will Jones play?
Does he have a lower leg issue?
Whaaaaat

Well I’m ready to pull the boots on

Big Max
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 10:30am I'd seriously consider brining in Schoenmaker for Bonner.

Garcia for Windhager seems obvious, but might not happen.

I'd bring back King for Sharman. Caminiti just seeks to offer a little bit more in terms of physicality and tackling ability.

I'd give Wilson another go. I certainly wouldn't drop him for Collard or Hastie.

Ideally, I'd ditch Byrnes with the aim of speeding up our movement of the ball forward, but I am totally aware that this isn't going to happen.
Couldn't comprehend Boner had over 1000 meters gained against Bombers, don't think I've seen that before. Surely he couldn't possibly kick it back to the opposition 17 times ever again.

Not sure Schoemaker replaces Boner, but he could replace Cordy, who I reckon is an ordinary footballer.

Pity we've lost Windhager, hopefully a chance for Garcia.

Caminiti or Sharman obviously out for King. As much as I like Caminiti, Sharman probably provides a better balance on our forward line.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Big Max wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 11:11pm Couldn't comprehend Boner had over 1000 meters gained against Bombers, don't think I've seen that before. Surely he couldn't possibly kick it back to the opposition 17 times ever again.

Not sure Schoemaker replaces Boner, but he could replace Cordy, who I reckon is an ordinary footballer.

Pity we've lost Windhager, hopefully a chance for Garcia.

Caminiti or Sharman obviously out for King. As much as I like Caminiti, Sharman probably provides a better balance on our forward line.
Bonner, not Boner...two very different things.

Caminiti is the obvious out for King. Young Anthony still has much to learn before being a regular at AFL level.
There's a reason why almost every key position defender held the majority of coaches votes when they played against us. Caminiti needs to become accountable when we don't have the football and needs to ensure that the ball is not marked by his opponent.
King, Membrey, and Sharman are the best options at the moment.
When Hayes is fit, he comes in for Sharman and will stop Owens from having to ruck.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Vortex wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 8:18pm
B.M wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 8:04pm Sharman is slow for a mid size

At 193-90
Very overrated, puts in a half ok game about once every 20 games. Only has one trick. He will probably get picked this week due to injury list but he should be very concerned Hayes will be pushing for selection in the next week or two.

I apologise to his fans but I don't think he is AFL standard long term.

3 rounds in though so the season is young.
💯
Nobody expects Sharman to take 10 marks per game and be involved in 8 scoring chains, and get 2-3 goals in each game.
He's still learning and oppo defenders aren't gonna stand by and watch him lead and mark.

But...he needs to show consistency, he needs to implement what he's being told by our fwd coach, and Skunk, etc.
I presume each wk, the fwds coach would sit down in front of a plasma/LCD screen, one on one, with each fwd.
And go over vision, show em what they did right, show em some things they could do better, etc.
Rob Harvey last yr said when he sits with the Pou and showed his videos, Pou would pre-empt the convo and point out stuff that he could improve.
So video reviews are normal practice at our club and every club, I could assume.

Cooper needs to listen, absorb, digest, and implement.
Work on those in training. It's what the word 'training' means, pretty much.

If he can't demonstrate a reasonable trajectory, signs of improvement, consistency, then he belongs back in the SANFL.
I'd like him to be best 22, most of us would.
But either he has got the tools, or he hasn't.

Time will tell

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It's unfair to play Sharman at both ends of the ground and expect him to perform in both roles equally well.

It's clear he's a serviceable stopgap, but we are better off with a true forward (which could certainly be Cooper Sharman) and a true defender (which is definitely not Sharman).