Isaac Keeler

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Isaac Keeler

He took a terrific mark down back for Sandy today, which is now doing the rounds on social media.

I hear he is still pretty raw, but has plenty of talent. Realistically, how far away is he from debuting for St.Kilda? Would be handy to have another ruck in support for Marshall at the moment.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Isaac Keeler

Playing as a Key Defender - not as a forward ruck

F*** knows why

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Gives him the chance to develop with the play in front of him.

That mark is harder to take as a forward than as a defender.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

I thought we recruited Keeler to be developed as a future Paddy Ryder type. That made sense, in that Isaac was physically similar to Paddy, was athletic like Paddy, and was exceptional below his knees for such a tall man, just like Paddy.

All good so far. Isaac shows plenty of promise as a tap ruckman as well. He spent most of his junior career as a hybrid forward/ruckman. Just like Paddy.

I can even understand playing him in defense so he can "learn his craft" from another perspective. It's an age-old method used by coaches to round out a young recruit's footballing education.

So how's Isaac doing? I've only seen him play live, twice. On both occasions, he played mainly in defense. I believe you get a much better appreciation from viewing the individual live, rather than just from the narrow view provided by TV. From my viewpoint, Isaac looks a bit lost in defense and is not a natural defender.

My overall assessment? He is a very exciting prospect, with all of the Ryder-like attributes described earlier. He is still very raw and IMHO still a fair way off being AFL-ready. As for playing him in defense, I just hope the coaches are not serious about playing him as a key defender. He doesn't look well suited to a defensive role. He looks about as comfortable as a cow on ice skates.

Please, RTB, Jake B, or whoever is responsible for his development, play him in the role he was recruited for in the first place, and one he appears to be best suited to. A "Ryder-like" key forward/ruckman.

I dream of him becoming the perfect foil for Roma before Roma becomes too old. It would give us a much better shot at a flag than the current setup.

SaintWiki
Club Player

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 12:07am I thought we recruited Keeler to be developed as a future Paddy Ryder type. That made sense, in that Isaac was physically similar to Paddy, was athletic like Paddy, and was exceptional below his knees for such a tall man, just like Paddy.

All good so far. Isaac shows plenty of promise as a tap ruckman as well. He spent most of his junior career as a hybrid forward/ruckman. Just like Paddy.

I can even understand playing him in defense so he can "learn his craft" from another perspective. It's an age-old method used by coaches to round out a young recruit's footballing education.

So how's Isaac doing? I've only seen him play live, twice. On both occasions, he played mainly in defense. I believe you get a much better appreciation from viewing the individual live, rather than just from the narrow view provided by TV. From my viewpoint, Isaac looks a bit lost in defense and is not a natural defender.

My overall assessment? He is a very exciting prospect, with all of the Ryder-like attributes described earlier. He is still very raw and IMHO still a fair way off being AFL-ready. As for playing him in defense, I just hope the coaches are not serious about playing him as a key defender. He doesn't look well suited to a defensive role. He looks about as comfortable as a cow on ice skates.

Please, RTB, Jake B, or whoever is responsible for his development, play him in the role he was recruited for in the first place, and one he appears to be best suited to. A "Ryder-like" key forward/ruckman.

I dream of him becoming the perfect foil for Roma before Roma becomes too old. It would give us a much better shot at a flag than the current setup.
Isn't it possible the coaching staff are playing him down back to give him the experience - I thought I've heard forward's saying they learned a lot that helped their offensive skills when playing down back for a while? ... or am I just an old man with an unreliable memory.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

SaintWiki wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 3:21am
Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 12:07am I thought we recruited Keeler to be developed as a future Paddy Ryder type. That made sense, in that Isaac was physically similar to Paddy, was athletic like Paddy, and was exceptional below his knees for such a tall man, just like Paddy.

Isn't it possible the coaching staff are playing him down back to give him the experience - I thought I've heard forward's saying they learned a lot that helped their offensive skills when playing down back for a while? ... or am I just an old man with an unreliable memory.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn’t he learn more playing in the actual position we need him for

As a forward/ruck

older saint
SS Life Member

I like the idea of what Geelong and a few others have done recently of getting 20+ reserves games into player when they need to before pushing them up to Seniors.
Some dont need that long but appears that Keeler is one that does, as does Heath.
Patience will be important so when they get their chance they have the best hope of success

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Keeler is exactly what clubs want but there are very few of

A 198 that can play forward - but can also go into the ruck and jump. He is athletic and tall. The two don’t always go together

What other ruckman in the AFL are capable forwards?

He is being wasted down back as a key defender- a position he is not strong enough for.

I honestly believe he is the most important (not best) youngster on the list
Because of the attributes he has and the position he can play.

How many 6’6” forwards with the ability to ruck are there in the AFL?!
Pretty much none

ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 31 Mar 2024 8:12pm Playing as a Key Defender - not as a forward ruck

F*** knows why
Van Es is not available due to injury.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He has trained down back since day 1 of pre season

It is a purposeful plan for Keeler - regardless of Van Es (whom I reckon has a line through him)

They like his athleticism and ball use as a defender- problem is - he is not a running back like NWM where you can get away with not being great 1 on 1
He is a KPD and before you worry about any offence - you need to be able to defend 1 on 1

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

What's noticeable about him is his light frame. He played on Sam Weideman and Weideman looked like Tom Hawkins compared to Keeler. Although the same height, Keeler could make no physical impact with his one on one contests. He simply couldn't move Weideman off the ball and Weideman is not known for his herculean strength.

He's at least 10kg too light to play key position. To me,he's a tall flanker, either forward or back, who could pinch hit in the ruck a few times per game

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 01 Apr 2024 8:19pm What's noticeable about him is his light frame. He played on Sam Weideman and Weideman looked like Tom Hawkins compared to Keeler. Although the same height, Keeler could make no physical impact with his one on one contests. He simply couldn't move Weideman off the ball and Weideman is not known for his herculean strength.

He's at least 10kg too light to play key position. To me,he's a tall flanker, either forward or back, who could pinch hit in the ruck a few times per game
This is where I land as well

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

To me it's not his body that's holding him back. It's his ability to read the game. You prioritise that development and he will make it to AFL level much sooner. Playing him in defense does this better than anywhere else.

It's a bit like with Moose, there's no point getting him learning the game if he's got no tank - so you prioritise the tank.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Rooy played as a defender in his first year

Fraser Gherig played as a defender for most of his time at West Coast if I recall correctly

Alistair Lynch was an All Australian full back with Fitzroy before he became a gun Full Forward

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I’m not as bullish as others are on Keeler.
He is a smooth mover for certain, and will have one of the best highlights reel of any player on our list - however just doesn’t get enough of the ball and goes missing for large parts of the game.
I hate to say it but he looks like a flashier Spencer White to me.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

How many games did Max King play in defense? Another example was Barry Hall. A disaster in defense. A premiership captain (with help from the tribunal) as a KPF.

Isaac is a natural forward/ruck. It also happens to be a role we desperately need to fill. Play him there.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Fraser Gehrig played a few seasons in defence before they realised it was stupid and moved him forward where he became a star

He was a forward/wing at WCE

Reiwoldt kicked 21 goals in his first full year - yes played 5 or 6 games at CHB early but ended up in his natural position at chf

Alastair Lynch was drafted as a defender and moved forward after a few years

Other players who dabbled with going back but were champion forwards
David Neitz, Chris Grant, Garry Lyon, John Longmire
All of whom were greater and more damaging forward

Not comparing Issac to any of those champions of course

We just have a unique player on the list - and we are not utilising his ability - it’s a mistake

chook23
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 10:58am Fraser Gehrig played a few seasons in defence before they realised it was stupid and moved him forward where he became a star

Reiwoldt kicked 21 goals in his first full year - yes played 5 or 6 games at CHB early but ended up in his natural position at chf

We just have a unique player on the list - and we are not utilising his ability - it’s a mistake
You are talking about players who dabbled going back but ended up forward..

It could be that they are doing this with Keeler to teach him a few things

You say we are not utilising and it's a mistake

Maybe we are just doing what is part of the development
that was used on players you mentioned

saint4life
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Keeler won't be a KPD or defensive backman long term.

Unless he absolutely shines and shows that's his best position.

IMO by the end of the season he has the Sharman/Caminiti/Hayes/Owens position locked down.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s not a 20ppg player - he’s a 198 hybrid forward/ruck

Guess what Paddy Ryder averaged per game?
Under 9 disposals
0.6 goals
Under 3 marks per game
25 HO

None of those numbers are great

He did have impact though.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 10:58am Fraser Gehrig played a few seasons in defence before they realised it was stupid and moved him forward where he became a star

From memory Kossi won the rising star playing CHB in his first year.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 02 Apr 2024 2:04pm Keeler won't be a KPD or defensive backman long term.

Unless he absolutely shines and shows that's his best position.

IMO by the end of the season he has the Sharman/Caminiti/Hayes/Owens position locked down.
A certain poster on here said he’s 2 to 3 years away so I guess he’ll be up soon 😊

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

2-3 years away from peak, but I think he can play AFL this year.

Big Max
Club Player

Thought Collard was too small and immature to be selected, but we picked him anyway.

So lets get on a roll, and give Keeler a crack as well. He just might be a unicorn.