North - AFL fiddling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

North - AFL fiddling

Observation: AFL gifting priority picks/forcing young draftees to a basket case causes more harm than good.
If AFL really wants to manufacture results make the top 4 sides at the end of the season each give North 2 players. If young guys get no choice why not established players. Weaken good sides and immediate improvement in North.
Of course I am being sarky but watching poor North at the moment can't help but think AFL has just made matters worse and possibly messed up some talented kids.
Administrators should just administer. Why does any club deserve special help, don't reward poor management. And Laura Kane of North Melbourne fame is now Operations Manager. Well good luck everyone.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: North - AFL fiddling

North did the the old 'top up' method when they picked up Dal Santo and a few others in the hope it would get them the cup. Then they coughed up too much for Stephenson, who has turned out to be a massive bust. Along the way, they took their eye off the long term during the 2014 to 2019 period and they're now paying the price.

Their wounds have been self inflicted, not so much by misfortune, but by a failed strategy.

The AFL were always going to give Golden Boy Clarkson a free hit, and he's been given more gifts than just about any other coach in the past decade.

And here he is, Mr Super Coach, realising that it's a wee bit hard when you don't have prime cattle all over the field. His last three years at Hawthorn showed that Mr Carko does not wear his underpants on the outside nor does he wear a cape.

North have a swarm of elite young midfielders, but aside from their full forward, their key position stocks are poor. I noticed they didn't pick any up in the 2023 draft and the 2024 draft is stacked with midfielders and very few tall guys. Once again, they find themselves a bit short on strategic thinking

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Also, the key position players they've brought in from other clubs in recent years have been, for the most part, plodders.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Dwayne Russell is commentating on Fox Footy. He's trying really really hard to make it sound like an interesting game

North got a couple of repeat inside 50's a few minutes ago. A bit of over handballing going on but it's in their forward line

The Pipe goes; "North are looking dangerous this quarter" :lol:

The score was 13-11 89 to 5-3 33

Three quarter time it's now .... 13-11 89 to 5-5 35 :mrgreen:

SaintWiki
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 6:17pm Observation: AFL gifting priority picks/forcing young draftees to a basket case causes more harm than good.
If AFL really wants to manufacture results make the top 4 sides at the end of the season each give North 2 players. If young guys get no choice why not established players. Weaken good sides and immediate improvement in North.
Of course I am being sarky but watching poor North at the moment can't help but think AFL has just made matters worse and possibly messed up some talented kids.
Administrators should just administer. Why does any club deserve special help, don't reward poor management. And Laura Kane of North Melbourne fame is now Operations Manager. Well good luck everyone.
I guess you are on the Turps but just in case you're not ...

The AFL also hands-out dollars to one particular club south of the Yarra every year which pisses off some whingers from other teams.

IMO Draft picks is the only fair way of helping struggling clubs onfield - the club gets to pick, develop and manage the draft picks, if they stuff up then so be it ... and we have done our fair share of stuffing draft picks.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 7:24pm
Yorkeys wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 6:17pm Observation: AFL gifting priority picks/forcing young draftees to a basket case causes more harm than good.

The AFL also hands-out dollars to one particular club south of the Yarra every year which pisses off some whingers from other teams.

IMO Draft picks is the only fair way of helping struggling clubs onfield - the club gets to pick, develop and manage the draft picks, if they stuff up then so be it ... and we have done our fair share of stuffing draft picks.
OK, Laura.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The Injectors are the latest club to go with the top-up strategy. McKay, Goldstein, Gresh ...

Makes you more competitive for a few seasons. Maybe even gets you into the eight a couple of times ...

But doesn't get you a flag unless your timing is just right.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

And the crash from the sugar high is so much worse

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 7:24pm IMO Draft picks is the only fair way of helping struggling clubs onfield - the club gets to pick, develop and manage the draft picks, if they stuff up then so be it
If a club needs immediate assistance, then draft picks taken to the draft will not help.
The AFL should enforce that all priority picks must be traded...and the trade should include at least one player. You can't just trade it for more picks unless you're turning those picks into players.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2024 9:28am
SaintWiki wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 7:24pm IMO Draft picks is the only fair way of helping struggling clubs onfield - the club gets to pick, develop and manage the draft picks, if they stuff up then so be it
If a club needs immediate assistance, then draft picks taken to the draft will not help.
The AFL should enforce that all priority picks must be traded...and the trade should include at least one player. You can't just trade it for more picks unless you're turning those picks into players.
Exhibit A
Horne-Francis
If AFL was fair dinkum he would have been made to stay or swapped for Rozee.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

North are the new GWS or GC

While they are banking an arsenal of top 5 picks they’ll be a basket case - until a core gets to 23/24yo

Then they will shoot into the top 4

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2024 9:54am
Life Long Saint wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2024 9:28am
Exhibit A
Horne-Francis
If AFL was fair dinkum he would have been made to stay or swapped for Rozee.
JHF was not a priority pick.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2024 10:05am North are the new GWS or GC

While they are banking an arsenal of top 5 picks they’ll be a basket case - until a core gets to 23/24yo

Gold Coast haven't even made the finals yet. Too early to predict what they will do this year but I think they'll finish around ninth or tenth.

The rest of your post I agree with.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2024 11:23am

Gold Coast haven't even made the finals yet. Too early to predict what they will do this year but I think they'll finish around ninth or tenth.

I suggest you may be conveniently ignoring the Toby Greene, Phil Davis influences. Exceptional talents and leaders in their own ways.
Still skeptical that team success can be distilled to a 5 year timeline algorithm based on picks 1 - 10. Premiership success seems too organic, too many variables, need serendipity to bite on the bottom and MRO in your pocket. Artificial attempts at boosting can have many unintended unwanted consequences.

wally
Club Player

All those years ago North was offered a big deal to relocate to Gold Coast they haven’t really done anything since except tread water but they still have their identity.I wonder if they could have done better

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 8:30pm
SaintWiki wrote: Fri 05 Apr 2024 7:24pm

OK, Laura.
:wink:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2024 12:11pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2024 11:23am

I suggest you may be conveniently ignoring the Toby Greene, Phil Davis influences. Exceptional talents and leaders in their own ways.
Still skeptical that team success can be distilled to a 5 year timeline algorithm based on picks 1 - 10. Premiership success seems too organic, too many variables, need serendipity to bite on the bottom and MRO in your pocket. Artificial attempts at boosting can have many unintended unwanted consequences.
I was talking about the Suns.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I have always wanted relegation & promotion.
Usually I get punched in the nose by my mates, my missus, my kids, the neighbour over the fence, the old lass down the nursing home, even my old dad from the grave...

But it 100% works in global soccer with thousands of teams, small leagues, mega leagues, they all do it.

You stink you drop.
You excel, you rise.

Bottom 2 AFL clubs drop to state league, best two after playoffs in state leagues promoted.

It makes sense.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I never follow their games.

They are irrelevant.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Suns had a false start

Picked the wrong players - wrong coach - poor culture- players left

This time they’ve got it right - will be a contender from next year

GWS - have been relatively successful- could win it this year or next

North will be top 4 in 3/4 years

Lennylegs
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2024 3:57pm I have always wanted relegation & promotion.
Usually I get punched in the nose by my mates, my missus, my kids, the neighbour over the fence, the old lass down the nursing home, even my old dad from the grave...

But it 100% works in global soccer with thousands of teams, small leagues, mega leagues, they all do it.

You stink you drop.
You excel, you rise.

Bottom 2 AFL clubs drop to state league, best two after playoffs in state leagues promoted.

It makes sense.
Would make sense if we were a country of 66 million with only one national sport that was run and owned by international oligarchs who posses more money than any civilisation in human history.

Way prefer a equalised comp where everybody gets a kick of the ice cream. Obviously the afl is pretty flawed for equalisation but it's way preferable to the premier League. Imo

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Lennylegs wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 11:50am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 06 Apr 2024 3:57pm I have always wanted relegation & promotion.

You stink you drop.
You excel, you rise.

It makes sense.
Would make sense if we were a country of 66 million with only one national sport that was run and owned by international oligarchs who posses more money than any civilisation in human history.

Way prefer a equalised comp where everybody gets a kick of the ice cream. Obviously the afl is pretty flawed for equalisation but it's way preferable to the premier League. Imo

I respect your thoughts but based on fact... It absolutely works in small regions, states and nations globally. I dont say it does, the facts do.

Our lopsided comp is all about $$ for media moguls.

But club ownership has nothing to do with league equity... its about equalisation. Youre right wealth hungry owners/clubs/media demand equality.
I dont go for equality in anything in life. I prefer equity.

Equality means everyone is treated the same exact way, regardless of differences. Equity means everyone is provided with what they need to succeed.

Some clubs need to step down, rebuild and restructure in a lower league...if it didnt work why do players get sent to the VFL to "find their form"? Its what they need...its equitable.

Equality would just keep giving them games.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Suns don't combine well as a team. Won't play finals this season, and even if by some miracle they make it, it will be shortlived and a flash in the pan.
We should make a play for Noah Anderson, I reckon.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I am sure Laura and her buddies will all be hi-5ing when North push into the top 4 in a few years time

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Priority picks alone don't save a team.

IMO the soft cap should be a reversal of average ladder order over 5 years.

OR the soft cap (call it a coaching and development budget) and salary cap is combined, and adjusted for ladder position, with the top teams getting more in the salary cap side, and the bottom teams getting more in the coaching and development side.

For those who follow F1, a little bit like their wind tunnel allowance depending on finishing position.