Match Thread vs Richmond

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Match Thread vs Richmond

Brunswicksainter wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:24pm
Otiman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:22pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:20pm
Otiman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:13pm My take away was King was very average. At HT he was heading for Sandy next week.
You’re not serious surely.
Yes, against a second or third string defence he should have dominated.

Ended up being a good small forward in Q3. But not a key forwards arsehole this week.
I honestly would love to see us trial King at half back and move battle forward. Has all the attributes to be an excellent intercept defender.
Don't think King runs hard enough.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Enjoy the win pav
And yes I do love RTB

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:21pm I have just been called a troll by saintpav. …….. should I be honoured ? Always a first time I guess 😊
Anyway, what a great win by a great Saints effort
I called you a troll because that’s what you are.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:13pm My take away was King was very average. At HT he was heading for Sandy next week.

Ended up being a good small forward in Q3. But not a key forwards arsehole this week.

I’d think a ground that shape would make it much easier to defend a key forward.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:30pm
I’d think a ground that shape would make it much easier to defend a key forward.
You need a key defender to defend a key forward. A similar shape/size to Kardinia park so say that to Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron.

Lennylegs
Club Player

Great to see Cal Wilkie find some form

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think sometimes the reality is you play ugly and are lucky to get away with the points… and whilst the negatives shouldn’t be ignored per’se, it’s just worthwhile getting the points and reloading.

Like many have pointed out:
We’re injury ravaged
Not in great form
Structurally all over the place
Richmond are no push overs
We played on a ground not suited to us

We played one good quarter of football… 2 bad ones and one barely a pass…
And we got away with the win and seemingly no new injuries.

Bank the points, a few humble smiles appreciating the escape and get back to fixing whatever it is that went wrong

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:23pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:21pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:16pm Dud…yes I was .. as the game went on our structure and effort was improved
Am I happy with the 4 points well who isn’t?
And for the benefit of pav.. I have to admit the size of my proboscis isn’t small thankfully my faith is larger
Good teams can walk away with an ugly win and move on, we haven’t earned that right yet.

At our current point method is more important than the result, we played pretty horrible for 3 quarters today, and we keep seeing the same issues pop up with no apparent solutions.
So you don’t think this will improve.?
I don’t know if it will improve, but I hope it does!

But until we start seeing it on field, I think the last decade had shown we shouldn’t count our chickens!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Agreeing with Curly is something I’d like to nurture. King again displayed why we’re lucky to get him .

Serious talent, marking and second efforts…his awareness and ability at grd level is exciting to watch

Now, as soon as he starts bagging the umpires, I will switch off 😊

shrodes
SS Life Member

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:25pm
bobmurray wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:21pm Next time i'm at training i'd like to ask the S&C guys to organise a 100 meter dash between Owens and Cordy, i think it would be a draw.
Yep…….slow
Very obvious today.

Wasn't last year.

Probably adjusting to the bulk he has added/sore.
I got this impression too, maybe added a bit too much bulk and not getting around the ground as well. Steele has had the same problem at points in the past also

loris
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:39pm
bobmurray wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:21pm Next time i'm at training i'd like to ask the S&C guys to organise a 100 meter dash between Owens and Cordy, i think it would be a draw.
Yep…….slow
Very obvious today.

Wasn't last year.

I got this impression too, maybe added a bit too much bulk and not getting around the ground as well. Steele has had the same problem at points in the past also
Agee, I said last week I thought that Owens looked like he had lost a bit of his sharpness c/f last season as he appears to have bulked up a little too much. Hopefully as the season goes on & he’s not in the gym pushing weights so much he might loose a bit of that bulk.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

I know a few on here said how Cordy had a good game.

I just want to say that our deep backs had a fantastic game. Boris Enright should be proud.

Stocker played a great game of football. Sinclair looked right at home at half back.

Battle was my best on ground taking crucial intercepts and that 3 sells of the candy could start his own candy shop.

Wilkie took some brave marks.

Cordy just spoiled everything. Cleaned his disposal. Left his man to impact a contest. That free against him was stiff and all the commentators agreed.

I know Wilson isn’t a defender but he saved us twice in that last quarter. Has a good footy brain. Will be a player.

Steele had a captains game. Just stood up.

Bank the 4 points. Let’s hope Toby Green gets rubbed out for a suspension. Hopefully Paddy Dow and Howard get a run in the twos next week. Get some personnel back.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:50pm
shrodes wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:39pm
Yep…….slow
Very obvious today.

Wasn't last year.

Agee, I said last week I thought that Owens looked like he had lost a bit of his sharpness c/f last season as he appears to have bulked up a little too much. Hopefully as the season goes on & he’s not in the gym pushing weights so much he might loose a bit of that bulk.
Gym work can help with strength Loris some of our players need strength Where we play these guys is the answer

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:13pm Our recruiters chose Ben Long over Shai Bolton ... go figure.
Looks like Long is on the outer at the GC too.

I wouldn’t be surprised they don’t renew his contract when it finishes.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I think they are - but don't call them Shirley

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:54pm I know a few on here said how Cordy had a good game.

I just want to say that our deep backs had a fantastic game. Boris Enright should be proud.

Stocker played a great game of football. Sinclair looked right at home at half back.

Battle was my best on ground taking crucial intercepts and that 3 sells of the candy could start his own candy shop.

Cordy just spoiled everything. Cleaned his disposal. Left his man to impact a contest. That free against him was stiff and all the commentators agreed.

I know Wilson isn’t a defender but he saved us twice in that last quarter. Has a good footy brain. Will be a player.

Bank the 4 points. Let’s hope Toby Green gets rubbed out for a suspension. Hopefully Paddy Dow and Howard get a run in the twos next week. Get some personnel back.
Yes, our defence was absolutely terrific after Q1. They pretty much shut down the Richmond offence other than Bolton on a few occasions: and he's pretty much impossible to shut down completely. Boris can lay claim to being the best defensive assistant coach going around. What he's done with us is pretty extraordinary.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Richmond were able to get back and crowd the forward line which made it very difficult for our forwards, particularly on the Red Legs bizarro oval (ellipse). It didn’t help that in the words of the coach, “our midfield is spluttering”.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sun 07 Apr 2024 8:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:32pm
You need a key defender to defend a key forward. A similar shape/size to Kardinia park so say that to Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron.
Anyone can defend given Nankervis just stationed himself in the hot spot was a tough day.

Also doubt King Hammer and Membrey had ever played in the same team.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:36pm Agreeing with Curly is something I’d like to nurture. King again displayed why we’re lucky to get him .

Serious talent, marking and second efforts…his awareness and ability at grd level is exciting to watch

King played a reasonable game for a forward pocket.

Unfortunately he's our marquee key forward.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 8:11pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:36pm Agreeing with Curly is something I’d like to nurture. King again displayed why we’re lucky to get him .

King played a reasonable game for a forward pocket.

Unfortunately he's our marquee key forward.
Still takes nothing away from what I’ve just said about him

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 7:54pm I know a few on here said how Cordy had a good game.

Best comment on the game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 5:52pm STOP KICKING IT TO FKN NANKERVIS YOU DUMB CNTS
The game plan demands we bomb it long to the hotspot.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 5:52pm How is it so obvious to everyone except the person kicking inside 50 that you can’t bomb it off a slow build up like that or McIntosh or Nank will clean up….
But the forward coach and head coach reckon we have a higher probability of getting a goal that way than targetting someone on a lead

repta
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 5:20pm
saintbob wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 5:16pm
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 5:03pm King can’t kick a goal. We are doomed
They've had 4yrs to work on his kicking technique and still he walks in spinning it every which way in his hands and then wonders why he never makes good connection.

If he's not listening f*** him off to the VFL until he does or if the coaches haven't tried to fix it, f*** them off completely!!!
Never said to move him off. He’s a star.

I cannot believe that someone has suggested to kick at goal whilst spinning the football like it is on the Voodoo ride at the show.

He is managing to twerl spin and roll the ball before right up to the drop. All whilst holding the ball in the 10 o'clock- 4 o'clock hand positions.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:53pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 5:52pm STOP KICKING IT TO FKN NANKERVIS YOU DUMB CNTS
The game plan demands we bomb it long to the hotspot.
King, Sharman, Membrey and Caminiti - we should have 4 hot spots to choose from.