Side vs GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Side vs GWS

Who goes out for Windhager?

Possible candidates

Hastie: think this is the most likely unless they intend to give him a full run on the wing.

Hammer: If the above is desired they could shift Sharman back forward and Hammer to the twos. Hammer does protect Owens from ruck contests however.

Jones: low time on ground and subbed out

Prediction: Hastie out Windhager in, Jones to sub.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Re: Side vs GWS

Jones had 6 broken tackles in 1st qtr, Fox mentioned it was the most by a player in a qtr this season. He also fumbled several times and looked disinterested for large parts of the game. He has to be first dropped to make way for windhager and tbh I think he’s days in the AFL are numbered.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Should add I would prefer Hammer out, Windy in, Hastie to the wing rotation. Jones to sub.

Something like the below.

Stocker. Wilkie. Cordy
Milera. Battle. Sinclair

Marshall. Steele. Ross.
Windy. Byrnes. Wilson.

Hill. Membrey. Butler
Higgins. King. Sharman.

Int: Pou. Owens. Bonner. Hastie.

Sub: Jones

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
jays
Club Player

Butler and jones both should go

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

I think Butler has to go for Collard. Collard is literally the next Shai Bolton. Needs to be played.

Windy for Hastie and move Jones or Byrnes to Sub.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

With no VFL game I doubt any injured players would make their way in.

Windhager in for Jones seems reasonable.

Hastie should play a full match either at VFL or AFL level next week.

Garcia to play his first game, probably as sub (as much as I hate that)

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I just hope the Saints don't get slaughtered by GWS, who could be without Toby after his arm pinning slam dunk tackle on Mac Andrew.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We match up well against GWS. I am more confident against them than I am of us versing Cats, Essendon or Port or the Crows if I'm being honest.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Jones stays for mine. There was a lot to like about how we did at the stoppages: we won the clearances, even though Nankervis was all over Marshall. Jones played his part in that. So I hope they don’t muck around sleigh it too much, just add Windy to the rotations.

I’d love Byrnes to be dropped, but I reckon he’s one of Ross’s koala bears. He might conceivably go back to sub, with Hastie starting. Otherwise Hastie sub.

One of Caminiti or Sharman to come out for Windy. I’d prefer it to be Sharman but I reckon Ross prefers Coops to Cam at this stage.

So

In: Windhager
Out: Sharman or Caminiti

Sub: Byrnes or Hastie

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
B.M
Saintsational Legend

In
Garcia
Windhager
Out
Hastie
Caminiti or Sharman

B: Wilkie - Cordy - Stocker
HB NWM - Battle - Sinclair

Foll: Marshall - Steele - Windhager
C: Hill - Ross - Wilson

HF: Phillipou - Owens - Butler
F: Membrey - King - Higgins

Int: Garcia - Sharman - Bonner - Byrnes

E: Hastie - Collard - Schoenmaker
Last edited by B.M on Sun 07 Apr 2024 11:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Interesting that Ross said in the post match something to the effect of “Ro was exhausted. We have Campbell who will probably come in at some point”.

Maybe not this week, but it looks like maybe we’ll give Marshall a chop out this year

saintbob
SS Life Member

Byrnes and Jones out

Windy and Collard in

Hastie to start on the wing and be given a fair crack at it, not just the last 5 minutes like he got today.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 11:22pm Interesting that Ross said in the post match something to the effect of “Ro was exhausted. We have Campbell who will probably come in at some point”.

Maybe not this week, but it looks like maybe we’ll give Marshall a chop out this year
Could see a world where Campbell comes in for a Hammer and rucks 70% of the game.

Giving Ro the ability to play as a forward who pinch hits in the ruck for a game or two.

GWS wouldn't be the worst game to trial that against.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hammer for Windy.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 10:39pm We match up well against GWS. I am more confident against them than I am of us versing Cats, Essendon or Port or the Crows if I'm being honest.
VERSUS

'Versing' isn't a damn word

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2024 2:05am
samuraisaint wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 10:39pm We match up well against GWS. I am more confident against them than I am of us versing Cats, Essendon or Port or the Crows if I'm being honest.
VERSUS

'Versing' isn't a damn word'

“Versing” actually was a verb about poetry before kids started using it the way they do today. The Oxford English Dictionary has it being used as far back as the year 1001 to mean “to compose or make verses.” An example is a sentence from 1909: “He began to verse extemporaneously in her ear.”

No need to thank me. The inner warmth that comes from presenting this is sufficient reward.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

If Hastie had done enough to be selected, he needs to start. You can't pick a kid, give him 35 minutes of footy in two weeks and then drop him.

Butler, Caminiti out.

Collard, Windhager in.

Jones sub. Hastie starting 22.

Hill might be touch and go off a six day break and two flights.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 11:22pm Interesting that Ross said in the post match something to the effect of “Ro was exhausted. We have Campbell who will probably come in at some point”.

Briggs, Witts, Xerri - they have all killed Marshall in the past, would expect Campbell to come in for one or more of these opponents.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Our stoppage clearance numbers are actually okay.
Our centre clearance numbers only need to improve by 3 or 4 per match.
I'm looking forward to Dow in a couple of weeks.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Our stoppage clearance numbers are actually okay.
Our centre clearance numbers only need to improve by 3 or 4 per match.
I'm looking forward to Dow in a couple of weeks.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I rather hope not, unless Marshall is actually injured, or so buggered and bruised that he needs a week off (not something you see happening too often with modern AFL players.)

The problem with Marshall has always been that he plays his best football in generally when he is roaming around the ground as a ruckman. For whatever reason, he is far less effective as a KPP. Campbell is more or less purely a tap ruckman: if he and Marshall are in the same team, then you would expect Campbell to be taking most of the rucks. I guess it might work in a double-teaming strategy against someone like Max Gawn, who combines excellent tap work with strong around the ground performance. (Watching the way Melbourne set up this season, I reckon we'll see a team try double-teaming Gawn very soon: if he can be neutralised, Melbourne will have a lot more trouble getting out of their defensive 50, given that they currently use Gawn as their outlet around 50 per cent of the time.)

On the whole, I reckon a better idea is to look to bring in Hayes, who is a superior ruckman to Owens or Caminiti and is also a capable forward. Unlike Campbell, he could be played as a second ruckman, allowing Marshall to remain in the role in which he is the best, but perhaps spend a little more time each game on the bench. I reckon a fully-fit Hayes (if that is achievable) is better value than Sharman, and perhaps Caminiti as well (although I really like the Hammer).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2024 9:10am If Hastie had done enough to be selected, he needs to start. You can't pick a kid, give him 35 minutes of footy in two weeks and then drop him.
I agree, although I think we did it a bit last year to Byrnes and possibly Sharman too.
Beno88 wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2024 9:10amHill might be touch and go off a six day break and two flights.
Surely Melbourne-Adelaide-Melbourne isn't especially gruelling. Only time for a quick cup of tea and then the plane starts descending. If the Saints have chartered a plane, Hill was probably receiving physio for half the flight home.

- Jonathan Swift
axcellence
Club Player

In: windhager, Campbell
Out: jones, Caminiti

I feel like this is a game where Campbell can come in and do 50-60% of rucking. Marshall then becomes a forward/ruck.

Gotta come up with some new trick to beat GWS. Going using the same plan as Richmond won’t work.