Saints once again under appreciated by the media

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Saints once again under appreciated by the media

Is it just me, or did the media heap praise on "The battling, undermanned, Tigers", while conveniently ignoring our lengthy list of unavailable players?

This is a hangover from last year, when our amazing performances were rarely, if ever, attributed to the ability of our underrated list.

We "Overperformed", "Played above ourselves" (which is impossible) and caught out teams who, "underestimated us."

Today, there were several moments I wanted to vomit because the commentators repeatedly told us how undermanned, brave and depleted the tigers were, while failing to give us credit for overcoming our long list of outs.

It was even mentioned on the lead in on the news and again in sport. Give it a rest, or at least provide some balance.

Take nothing away from the Tigers, who risked head and shin and did so with a grin. Unfortunately, once they fell behind, they fought and fought and lost.

I'd just like to point out that we had the following missing through injury and suspension.

Windhager
Crouch
Clark
Dow
Howard
Henry
Webster
Wood
Paton

That's nine, of whom all but Paton would arguably be in our best 22. Now that's what I call undermanned and depleted! Throw in the fact that we also gave them a four goal head start in a low scoring game! A tremendous effort!

There were two brave and undermanned teams out there today. It's just a pity the media only noticed one of them. Am I being overly sensitive?

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints once again under appreciated by the media

Nah you ain’t being over sensitive NDSC - it’s par for the course, it’s the cross we Saint supporters have to wear, with the media rarely giving us credit where credit is due. Always been the way & likely to remain so😇

repta
Club Player

Kicked 1 goal to half time.
Managed to fall over a bottom 4 team.
Whilst losing to a bottom 6 team last week

Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Big Max
Club Player

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:12pm Is it just me, or did the media heap praise on "The battling, undermanned, Tigers", while conveniently ignoring our lengthy list of unavailable players?

This is a hangover from last year, when our amazing performances were rarely, if ever, attributed to the ability of our underrated list.

We "Overperformed", "Played above ourselves" (which is impossible) and caught out teams who, "underestimated us."

Today, there were several moments I wanted to vomit because the commentators repeatedly told us how undermanned, brave and depleted the tigers were, while failing to give us credit for overcoming our long list of outs.

It was even mentioned on the lead in on the news and again in sport. Give it a rest, or at least provide some balance.

Take nothing away from the Tigers, who risked head and shin and did so with a grin. Unfortunately, once they fell behind, they fought and fought and lost.

I'd just like to point out that we had the following missing through injury and suspension.

Windhager
Crouch
Clark
Dow
Howard
Henry
Webster
Wood
Paton

That's nine, of whom all but Paton would arguably be in our best 22. Now that's what I call undermanned and depleted! Throw in the fact that we also gave them a four goal head start in a low scoring game! A tremendous effort!

There were two brave and undermanned teams out there today. It's just a pity the media only noticed one of them. Am I being overly sensitive?
We definitely have a lot missing (and don't forget Hayes), but I'm not sure they're all in our best 22 (23). I'm wondering which 9 players you'd leave out if all our injured guys were fit and available. For example, you've probably named 4-6 midfielders .. Windhager, Crouch, Clark, Dow, then Henry & Wood.

Would you suggest Webster for Boner?
Howard for Cordy?
Dow for Jones?
Which others?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We are just not that good

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We are if you’re delusional…

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Richmond beat Sydney last week.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

And Sydney just got over WC this week

Seriously
1 quarter aside

We were putrid today

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 10:38pm And Sydney just got over WC this week

Seriously
1 quarter aside

We were putrid today
However, it was, what "they" call, 'The Premiership Quarter'

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i'll take the win and be happy for it. anything can happen in footy. rather play poorly and win, than play well and fall short. we've a lot of young kids learning their craft, and a lot of first teamers out. nothing to be ashamed of in that win.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

repta wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:58pm Kicked 1 goal to half time.

You're missing the point. I'm not talking about us as much as I'm pointing out the media's bias. Yes, we were hard to watch, but we won after trailing by 28 at one point. We won the second half, comfortably, kicking 6 goals in the third quarter.

Not worthy of praise? And how is what happened last week relevant to this weeks' commentary?

If the tigers were worthy of praise for their efforts, and they were, then so were we.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Didn’t we have something like 10 players with less than 50 games experience playing? After today’s start, I was pretty happy that they were able to pull the game back. Seen plenty of St Kilda sides that would have just rolled over and got done by 8 goals this afternoon.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Nick DalSanto Claus wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:12pm Is it just me, or did the media heap praise on "The battling, undermanned, Tigers", while conveniently ignoring our lengthy list of unavailable players?

Windhager
Crouch
Clark
Dow
Howard
Henry
Webster
Wood
Paton

Two words

Luke Darcy

Has never had a good word for the st kfc

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Nick DalSanto Claus
Club Player

Would you suggest Webster for Boner?
Howard for Cordy?
Dow for Jones?
Which others?

That's a good start, Big Max. I can find room for
Henry for Hastie.
Windhager for Butler
Wood for Caminiti
Crouch for Byrnes

That's 7 and I'd find room for Clark as well. Take those 8 inclusions and try and show how that's not a superior team, on paper at least, to the one that won today. It would've been nice if one of the commentators acknowledged our effort and depth.

I believe there's plenty of reasons to be excited. Imagine if we take our chances just by kicking straighter.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:58pm Kicked 1 goal to half time.

We kicked 2 goals in the last quarter. One was from Marshall our ruckman and the other was from Bonner, our half back flanker.

We looked like Keystone cops with our entries inside 50 and then once there was a loose ground ball, we were lost. Couldn't find an avenue to get a clear shot on goal.

Our forwards don't seem to gell. They lack composure and they don't seem to use their team mates like using a midfielder for example, to try and get out of congestion. Kick it sideways or backwards and maintain possession in the forward half.

Higgins did well from his limited opportunities as did Membrey. Membrey held his marks this week and King fluffed everything. I think he's better suited up the ground...he plays better kicking to team mates

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Yes I accept they are a fact of life, but we do seem to get whacked with the injury stick more than others.

Even at full strength, our midfield lacks that star quality other clubs seems to have. Good, solid players yes, but there’s no Bontempelli or Petracca or Cripps … not yet at least.

I would say that Ross gets the absolute best out of what is at his disposal.

Next three weeks are going to be challenging. Hopefully we can pinch at least one of them and start our run when we get a few back.

wally
Club Player

I think they forgot we have players unavailable last week they were bleating about Essendon edge beating us and how good they are going to be ,this week Richmond had a good win they jumped on the bus then when they lost a couple including Lynch they claim the under strength status.

wally
Club Player

The experts probably don’t rate the players missing as being better than those playing

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Windhager
Crouch
Clark
Dow
Howard
Henry
Webster
Wood
Paton

NO, just telling it how it is.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Windhager
Crouch
Clark
Dow
Howard
Henry
Webster
Wood
Paton

None of our outs are genuine stars. Lynch for the Tigers is...Balta is not, though.
You can probably add Hayes into the mix.
Six of those are walk-ups. Dow and Paton are not. Clark is now on the cusp...With Bonner, NWM, and Sinclair in the HB line, and Henry's recruitment, Clark will have to put in some excellent VFL games to get in.
Those players put pressure on Jones, Phillipou, Caminiti, Cordy, Hastie, Sharman, Wilson, and Byrnes.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Firstly, i'm not interested in any media bias.

On the outs, Richmond and us had the same issue. It's not who, it's the combination of outs.

Balta and Lynch is their entire key forward line.
Windhager, Crouch, Dow are three starting midfielders.\

It's no surprise that Richmond didn't kick goals other than their smalls up forward, and just as little surprise that we got smashed in the midfield.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Quite happy to be flying under the radar

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Wind would have cruelled Lynch. Balta would have been worth a goal. We still win. Dougs plays we win by 25 points. Ain't pointless speculation grand.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Baker would have got in the way of Bolton .... so a few less goals there :wink:

Let's make it a 6 goal win

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

But the undermanned Tigers were brave against a team missing 8 players.

Meanwhile, 4 points in the bag.

😂

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.