Can we?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Can we?

Happy to move on from this week but the next 3 weeks are going to be a huge test.

Can we win any of the following?

GWS Away
Bulldogs at Marvel
Port Adelaide Away

The Essendon loss is really going to haunt us later in the season.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Can we?

GWS - no.
Dogs - maybe.
Port - we are yet to beat Hinkley since he became coach of Port, so a resounding no (I don’t count the COVID “stop-gap” season).

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

of course we can

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

If we can win two out of next three, that will be a big statement.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:39pm Happy to move on from this week but the next 3 weeks are going to be a huge test.

GWS Away
Bulldogs at Marvel
Port Adelaide Away

Put it this way, had any of those 3 teams been our opposition today then it's possible we would have lost by a fairly large margin, lucky we were playing a rabble of a team with a major injury list.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

We beat Port in 2020, albeit with the most accurate winning score in history.

One of the oddities of our draw this year is that we have no home-ground-advantage game until Fremantle in Round 10 (other Marvel games are against fellow Marvel-based teams). Compare to any other team.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:57pm
Otiman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:39pm Happy to move on from this week but the next 3 weeks are going to be a huge test.

GWS Away
Bulldogs at Marvel
Port Adelaide Away

Put it this way, had any of those 3 teams been our opposition today then it's possible we would have lost by a fairly large margin, lucky we were playing a rabble of a team with a major injury list.
With ten dual premiership players in it, btw. The Dogs last won a Grand Final in 2016, and Richmond have win three since then, and GWS never have, so based on that, Richmond are a far superior outfit to any of those three.
Mind you, tbh I don't think we'll beat Port, but we can beat GWS and we will beat the 'Dogs.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Dogs are mentally weak

Bevo confuses the hell out of 'em each year with list changes and week upon week he mixes the side around too much.

We'll beat them, but I think we'll struggle against the other two

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:54pm of course we can
Yes, but will we?

The dogs at home is our first home game at Marvel. We should be up for it.

GWS in Canberra is a tall ask, and Port have our measure. IMO if they play us like they played us last year, which was the same way they played Essendon (1 on 1, very physical) they will stifle our run and we're stuffed.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I just looked at the bloody fixture. We play 3 games in 11 days

We play next Saturday and then it's just a five day break and we play the Dogs at Marvel.

We'll be coming off a 5 day break from a trip to Canberra and they'll be coming from a 6 day break playing at home 🤬😡 :evil:

SinCitySainter
Club Player

We will be a 50/50 against the Bulldogs the other two we are very unlikely to get anything from.
The 5 day break will hurt us more than other teams as Ross's whole game plan is based on giving maximum effort all the time.
We will not lose by a lot to the other teams as that is the very core to Ross's whole football philosophy, stifle the opposition therefore minimizing their ability to impact the scoreboard. It doesn't help us to score but I don't think Ross really cares about that so much. He would be happier with last night's score than if we scored 130 and the opposition scored 100.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Ross would have been happier with the 3rd quarter x4.

I don't think anyone neutrals included was happy with our first half.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2024 4:52pm Ross would have been happier with the 3rd quarter x4.

I don't think anyone neutrals included was happy with our first half.
Watched it again. I’m extremely happy how they went about the second half

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We will be a chance in all 3 games as most of our matches are tight close affairs .... its just the way we roll currently

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The little red, white and black engine that could.
"I think I can, I - think - I - can, I - think- I- can...

Popular children's story of self belief and courage.
And aren't we all children somewhere deep inside. (Some very naughty, of course).

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2024 1:55pm The 5 day break will hurt us more than other teams as Ross's whole game plan is based on giving maximum effort all the time.
We beat Collingwood off a 5 day break after a tough game at Geelong.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2024 4:04pm
SinCitySainter wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2024 1:55pm The 5 day break will hurt us more than other teams as Ross's whole game plan is based on giving maximum effort all the time.
We beat Collingwood off a 5 day break after a tough game at Geelong.
That is true.
We certainly are not without a chance.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Need to endure the first half of the season and take full advantage of the dream run home.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I’m enjoying this season so far. I do have hope
some here don’t see us being anything for at least 2 to 3 years but those same people say that every year.. some of those same people I’m glad I don’t associate with at the games or in life in general ….
no I’m happy with the way we are going.
I have no problem about being critical… crikey I’ve gone off my head at times but I can also appreciate value when I see it
How good is it to watch players like Marshall Wilkie Hill steel seb max sincs and our talented kids every week
We have a clever coach with elite support, …..rose coloured glasses ? I don’t think so. I’ve been following this mob for near on 1000(feels like it)years and I don’t think I can remember The Club being run as professionally as it is at the moment and we have some great talent. I feel sorry for my fellow supporters who only see the negatives week and week out, maybe they weren’t there in the real bad times, I hope they change their attitude and enjoy the journey
Go you good things
Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 09 Apr 2024 8:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

bozza1980
Club Player

GWS and Port away will be serious tests and a win in either will genuinely announce us a team to be reckoned with.

We will beat the Bulldogs. Apart from a month in 2016, they have been the most over rated team in the competition for the last 10 years.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2024 5:37pm I’m enjoying this season so far. I do have hope
some here don’t see us being anything for at least 2 to 3 years but those same people say that every year.. some of those same people I’m glad I don’t associate with at the games or in life in general ….
I have no problem about being critical… crikey I’ve gone off my head at times but I can also appreciate value when I see it
How good is it to watch players like Marshall Wilkie Hill steel seb max sincs and our talented kids every week
We have a clever coach with elite support, …..rose coloured glasses ? I don’t think so. I’ve been following this mob for near on 1000(feels like it)years and I don’t think I can remember The Club being run as professionally as it is at the moment and we have some great talent. I feel sorry for my fellow supporters who only see the negatives week and week out, maybe they weren’t there in the real bad times, I hope they change their attitude and enjoy the journey
Go you good things
Notwithstanding the big dag element, probably the most hypocritical, idiotic and meaningless trite ever written on here. :roll:

:lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2024 8:34pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2024 5:37pm I’m enjoying this season so far. I do have hope
Go you good things
Notwithstanding the big dag element, probably the most hypocritical, idiotic and meaningless trite ever written on here. :roll:

You trying to hurt my feelings?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2024 9:17pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2024 8:34pm
Go you good things

You trying to hurt my feelings?
Nope…go you good thing. 🤦‍♂️😂

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Cool
Go you good things 😊👍
Good to have you on board

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

GWS is going to be a tough ask.
You would think a few players would want to redeem themselves from last years EF
Pou monstered by Green
Butlers Harlem globetrotters rubbish including kicking around the angle from a set shot 35m and not making the distance instead of going back with a drop punt. Not to mention the fancy tap ons none of which worked.
Cordy given a bath.
Caminiti spoiling our own forward line.

Personally I’d bring Dougal in drop Cordy because we need to see how that matchup works before finals
I don’t think Pou has shown any material improvement this year, and I would make him the sub . Let him work up ahead of steam on the bench and let’s see how he responds when he goes on.
Windy in for Hastie.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.