Can we?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Can we?

Hopefully we’re all square in round 10.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2024 7:02pm Moat pundits would probably have us finishing bottom 4 after 4 rounds.
A bit to unpack there.
Firstly, what do students of a protective barrier of water surrounding a castle know about footy?

Secondly, you'd have us down with Hawthorn, North, and West Coast?
Richmond, Adelaide, Gold Coast, and Essendon would all be predicted to finish lower than us.
You are being super critical. We lost to an now undefeated team in round 1 by a narrow margin.
We slept for the first quarter against Richmond and won.
We should have beaten Essendon but for inaccurate kicking when we controlled the game. Watch the Port v Essendon game. The difference was they didn't miss when they had dominant periods.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 10:10am
Vortex wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2024 7:02pm Moat pundits would probably have us finishing bottom 4 after 4 rounds.
A bit to unpack there.
Firstly, what do students of a protective barrier of water surrounding a castle know about footy?

Richmond, Adelaide, Gold Coast, and Essendon would all be predicted to finish lower than us.
You are being super critical. We lost to an now undefeated team in round 1 by a narrow margin.
We should have beaten Essendon but for inaccurate kicking when we controlled the game. Watch the Port v Essendon game. The difference was they didn't miss when they had dominant periods.
no "HE" doesn't..the Pundits do. non committal jargon.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

GWS have only played Collingwood so far.
We, on the other hand, have played 4 of the last 5 premiers.
Carna mighties!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 10:10am
A bit to unpack there.

Gold Coast are ahead of the curve with regards to talent acquisition and stockpiling, and by a fair margin, so there’s that and that’s going to always be the main ingredient that wins you flags. Their list is also now arguably ahead of us in terms of games played in terms of having a critical mass of players with 50 to 100 games, also another important ingredient for winning flags.

I’m a gambling man and I have backed Gold Coast to take our place in the eight this year.

I agreed with most pundits at the start of the season that we would slide out of the 8 and so then it was a matter of guessing who would take our spot, so far Freo are certainties for the 8, and Gold Coast is the smoky, and Essendon will be close to pushing in as well.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 1:50pm Gold Coast are ahead of the curve with regards to talent acquisition and stockpiling, and by a fair margin, so there’s that and that’s going to always be the main ingredient that wins you flags. Their list is also now arguably ahead of us in terms of games played in terms of having a critical mass of players with 50 to 100 games, also another important ingredient for winning flags.

I’m a gambling man and I have backed Gold Coast to take our place in the eight this year.

I agreed with most pundits at the start of the season that we would slide out of the 8 and so then it was a matter of guessing who would take our spot, so far Freo are certainties for the 8, and Gold Coast is the smoky, and Essendon will be close to pushing in as well.
Gold Coast have been "ahead of the curve" almost since their debut. But they've never delivered - despite all the draft picks they've been given and the talent at their disposal. Why is that?
Cushy holiday feel lifestyle? Not professional enough? Not sure. But there has to be something in the fact that teams on the Gold Coast in all sports seem to avoid success.

Fremantle. Certainties? Wow! Good win in Perth over Brisbane who took a while to get going. Their one trip to Melbourne was against North (Bye). They've beaten the Crows in Perth and lost to Carlton.

There are no certainties for the eight. Teams most likely are Melbourne, Sydney, GWS, Port, and Carlton...I am adding Collingwood and Brisbane to make it. Everyone else is fighting for that one remaining spot including Geelong, Freo, Bulldogs, Essendon, and Gold Coast.
Teams that play North, West Coast, and Hawthorn more than once will have a clear advantage.
We only play West Coast twice. But we do play Richmond again at Marvel - so that helps.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

A fool and his money are soon parted

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 2:11pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 1:50pm Gold Coast are ahead of the curve with regards to talent acquisition and stockpiling, and by a fair margin, so there’s that and that’s going to always be the main ingredient that wins you flags. Their list is also now arguably ahead of us in terms of games played in terms of having a critical mass of players with 50 to 100 games, also another important ingredient for winning flags.

Gold Coast have been "ahead of the curve" almost since their debut. But they've never delivered - despite all the draft picks they've been given and the talent at their disposal. Why is that?
Cushy holiday feel lifestyle? Not professional enough? Not sure. But there has to be something in the fact that teams on the Gold Coast in all sports seem to avoid success.

Fremantle. Certainties? Wow! Good win in Perth over Brisbane who took a while to get going. Their one trip to Melbourne was against North (Bye). They've beaten the Crows in Perth and lost to Carlton.

There are no certainties for the eight. Teams most likely are Melbourne, Sydney, GWS, Port, and Carlton...I am adding Collingwood and Brisbane to make it. Everyone else is fighting for that one remaining spot including Geelong, Freo, Bulldogs, Essendon, and Gold Coast.
Teams that play North, West Coast, and Hawthorn more than once will have a clear advantage.
We only play West Coast twice. But we do play Richmond again at Marvel - so that helps.
And therin lies the beauty of footy, it throws up so much conjecture. I hear what you're saying however this Gold Coast team might have got their act together this time around. Ironically in the time the GCS entered the comp our professionalism and recorded is comparable so as Saints fans we need to be careful about putting other clubs down.

But here's the one main difference, the AFL will pour millions into the GCS eternal until they are ultra successful, why?, because the executive bonus scheme provides the incentive.

But back on footy, keep your eye on Freo, I think they will rise this year.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 7:46pm

And therin lies the beauty of footy, it throws up so much conjecture. I hear what you're saying however this Gold Coast team might have got their act together this time around. Ironically in the time the GCS entered the comp our professionalism and recorded is comparable so as Saints fans we need to be careful about putting other clubs down.

But here's the one main difference, the AFL will pour millions into the GCS eternal until they are ultra successful, why?, because the executive bonus scheme provides the incentive.

Agree with many of your points, except the one about the Suns having a record comparable with ours. Since the Suns' inception into the AFL, they have never come close to qualifying for finals, while we have made three finals series.

And they have never won more than ten games in a season and that was only once, whereas we have won 11 or more games in 8 AFL seasons.

Our win/loss against the suns shows that we have won more than twice as many games against them as they have against us.

On exposed form I think that trend will continue this season too.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 12 Apr 2024 10:24am
Vortex wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 7:46pm

Agree with many of your points, except the one about the Suns having a record comparable with ours. Since the Suns' inception into the AFL, they have never come close to qualifying for finals, while we have made three finals series.

And they have never won more than ten games in a season and that was only once, whereas we have won 11 or more games in 8 AFL seasons.

Our win/loss against the suns shows that we have won more than twice as many games against them as they have against us.

On exposed form I think that trend will continue this season too.
Yes whilst I agree that everything you say is factual, it's more about how I rate success and that is being a side that is a sustainable top 4 side, and a contender and wins a flag every ten years or so. Based on that criteria is really what I meant. Like for example our finals appearances really are forgettable as we were really never a serious contender in those seasons and were essentially making up the numbers. As harsh as it may be, the reality us and teams like Gold Coast have been irrelevant to the rest of the comp, obviously you'd add North in the same category, actually Notth have reached prelims in that time but I can't remember anything special about those games...but I can tell out of the top of my head who won the flag for year back to probably the 50s.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

:evil:
Otiman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2024 9:39pm Happy to move on from this week but the next 3 weeks are going to be a huge test.

Can we win any of the following?

GWS Away
Bulldogs at Marvel
Port Adelaide Away

The Essendon loss is really going to haunt us later in the season.
Nope.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

In summary, we are shite, still.

It's a st kilda thing, it doesn't matter if we change all the off field staff, all the coaches, all of the playing list, we are still shite, change after change after ?

Shite is ingrained.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?