AFL StKilda tax sees Green free to play

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL StKilda tax sees Green free to play

Still don't get why being human and job being difficult means there can't be significant improvement in umpiring; and teams can still lose games through clear error with a shrug of the shoulders from administrators and everyone else but the side that cops it.
How is it 4 umpires missed the obvious touch on ball and a less obvious touch . Know that and work on no reoccurance. And new rule, no double penalties when umpire is wrong. One incorrect penalty is enough, surely.

King Max
Club Player

I guess the AFL miscalculated with Finlayson!

The 28-year-old will miss matches against Fremantle, Collingwood and St Kilda as a result of his slur, and will be available for selection in Port Adelaide’s Showdown with the Crows in Round 8.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Finlayson is, essentially, charged with either:
Intentional Conduct, High Impact, and High Contact
Intentional Conduct, Severe Impact, and Body Contact
Careless Conduct, Severe Impact, and High Contact

That seems excessive for me given that Clarko copped a fine and a two week suspension (suspended) for what was the same offense and he didn't apologise at the time.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2024 2:02pm I guess the AFL miscalculated with Finlayson!

The 28-year-old will miss matches against Fremantle, Collingwood and St Kilda as a result of his slur, and will be available for selection in Port Adelaide’s Showdown with the Crows in Round 8.
Whoopsie :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2024 2:02pm I guess the AFL miscalculated with Finlayson!

Finlayson is hardly Toby Green.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Moods
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2024 7:21pm Green head slammed young GC defender Mac’s head into the turf.

Arms pinned and completely helpless his head cannoned into the ground

Worth 2

Playing StKilda this week tax he is FREE to play

Shocked
What is it exactly you’re suggesting? That the AFL are incompetent? Or that the AFL are out to shaft the Saints at any opportunity and if that means turning a blind eye to an otherwise obvious suspension because the team the player plays for is coming up against StKilda that week?

Even if the answer is both, it’s completely laughable to suggest that the AFL looked at the incident then looked at the team GWS are playing this weekend and decide, Nup they’re playing Saints, Greene gets away with it. This time. Because we want so badly for Saints to lose. 😆😆

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Just love the conspiracy theories…..well not really.

Anyway, turning back to reality, we have kept green quiet in the past

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2024 3:09pm These are the kinds of threads that sets up Saintsational as "that crackpot board".
That's how Big Footy views this forum.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Smashing someone’s head to the ground, cool. Old time rubbish politically incorrect slur, 3 weeks. I would suggest the if the recipient of the slur, was in fact, er, um, genuinely linked to the slur, then one to two weeks.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2024 9:06pm
Otiman wrote: Tue 09 Apr 2024 3:09pm These are the kinds of threads that sets up Saintsational as "that crackpot board".
That's how Big Footy views this forum.
Most of the posters on Saints Big Footy are on here as well :lol:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I like the lawlessness of this place, gives it character.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Observations
A forum that calls itself Big Footy and isn't particularly user friendly is not in a position to critique a forum named Saintsational that is well designed and professionally run.
If there is a suggestion the latest slur was old school the the slur maker should expect to have his head punched and umpires would not notice that.
Given the apparent fact that no AFL player is other than hetro, what's the point of the slur. Just taking the Clarkson lead which was waved through by the AFL admin. So
extra week for general stupidity to go with his homophobia?
My recollection of playing sides from the Port district was that they would use any verbal tactic to try to gain a mental edge. Perhaps old cultures lurk close to the surface.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bowey Boy wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2024 11:29pm Smashing someone’s head to the ground, cool. Old time rubbish politically incorrect slur, 3 weeks. I would suggest the if the recipient of the slur, was in fact, er, um, genuinely linked to the slur, then one to two weeks.
Call me a civil libertarian. I’m much more concerned about what people do than what they say.

I see under Scotland’s new “hate speech” laws, you can go to jail for something you said. It’s starting to sound like Stalinist Russia over there … not what you would call a free society.

Finlayson said the wrong thing and apologised. That should have been the end of it imo.

Now, the AFL is under fire for deeming homophobic slurs only half as serious as racial slurs (Tex Walker, six weeks). And infinitely more serious than Clarko’s c————- slur on Jimmy Webster, deemed worthy of only a fine.

What a can of worms. Please AFL, go back to just running football

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 1:57pm
Bowey Boy wrote: Wed 10 Apr 2024 11:29pm Smashing someone’s head to the ground, cool. Old time rubbish politically incorrect slur, 3 weeks. I would suggest the if the recipient of the slur, was in fact, er, um, genuinely linked to the slur, then one to two weeks.
Call me a civil libertarian. I’m much more concerned about what people do than what they say.

I see under Scotland’s new “hate speech” laws, you can go to jail for something you said. It’s starting to sound like Stalinist Russia over there … not what you would call a free society.

Finlayson said the wrong thing and apologised. That should have been the end of it imo.

Now, the AFL is under fire for deeming homophobic slurs only half as serious as racial slurs (Tex Walker, six weeks). And infinitely more serious than Clarko’s c————- slur on Jimmy Webster, deemed worthy of only a fine.

What a can of worms. Please AFL, go back to just running football
I agree with the "I’m much more concerned about what people do than what they say." to an extent.

Scotlands law makes it an imprisonable offense to incite hatred on the basis of race, religion, transgender identity, sexual orientation, age or disability.
I think we have similar hate speech laws. If your hate speech can be shown that you've incited others to act out against the group you've just vilified then you can be held accountable. As you should. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequence. But if you call one person a racial or homophobic name, you're not going to jail for it. And nor should you.

On a football field, you can't equate something said in the heat of the moment with an intentional actual act of violence. That's what the AFL have now done.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Where do you draw the line, though? Who decides what is a spur of the moment brainfade like Finlayson’s or a genuine attempt to stir up hatred against, in this case, gays. I think it is a slippery slope.

Scotland has had thousands of complaints in the first week
of the new law, many I suspect to settle old scores … from behind a screen of anonymity of course.

The police - who don’t have the resources even to tackle genuine crimes - are obliged to investigate.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 2:43pm Where do you draw the line, though? Who decides what is a spur of the moment brainfade like Finlayson’s or a genuine attempt to stir up hatred against, in this case, gays. I think it is a slippery slope.

of the new law, many I suspect to settle old scores … from behind a screen of anonymity of course.

The police - who don’t have the resources even to tackle genuine crimes - are obliged to investigate.
He said it on a footy field directly to an opponent. He didn't organise a rally, make a speech, or publish comments on social media or any other medium. He apologised at the first opportunity and owned the mistake.
That's how you decide that it was a momentary lapse of judgement.

I wonder what the penalty would have been if he said it to an umpire?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 2:50pm
Nothing - as long as his body language was not aggressive - the umpire probably would not have heard it. Or he could have said he was saying it to himself.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

"But in Scotland...!"

lol

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 2:43pm Where do you draw the line, though? Who decides what is a spur of the moment brainfade like Finlayson’s or a genuine attempt to stir up hatred against, in this case, gays. I think it is a slippery slope.

He said it on a footy field directly to an opponent. He didn't organise a rally, make a speech, or publish comments on social media or any other medium. He apologised at the first opportunity and owned the mistake.

Still can't believe we have a player suspended for saying a word.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

What if a coach - such as Alastair Clarkson - said it to an opposing player? The AFL has made a rod for it's own woke back and is now a laughing stock for its inconsistencies

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 3:30pm

A very unkind and cruel word though Curly.

I have a gay mate with whom I play golf at least once a week. Best guy in the club. I asked him his thoughts of the Finlayson penalty. He just rolled his eyes and said words to the effect of "you must be f---- joking." He worries about where society is heading

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 3:31pm

What if a coach - such as Alastair Clarkson - said it to an opposing player? The AFL has made a rod for it's own woke back and is now a laughing stock for its inconsistencies
Clarko should have been suspended - for longer than Finlayson. Clarko wasn't even coaching that day and decided to insert himself into the situation. Classic bully behaviour.

The AFL has always been a laughing stock for its own inconsistencies. They are the masters of policy on the run. Remember Sirengate? Remember the botch interchange rule when the Swans had too many on the ground? Remember the post-it note solution to that issue that happened once in 100 years.

Don't agree, however, with the "woke" assessment. The AFL environment is a workplace for professional athletes - has been for many years and every workplace has rules, policies, and procedures that it must follow. If someone in my workplace behaved in the manner that Finlayson did, there'd be consequences. I am just not sure a suspension is one of them.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 3:33pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 3:30pm

A very unkind and cruel word though Curly.

I have a gay mate with whom I play golf at least once a week. Best guy in the club. I asked him his thoughts of the Finlayson penalty. He just rolled his eyes and said words to the effect of "you must be f---- joking." He worries about where society is heading
Spiraling out of control.

We are leaving a terrible place for our kids.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 3:53pm Spiraling out of control.

What a pile of excrement!
You must have a very strange definition of terrible.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 3:57pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 3:53pm Spiraling out of control.

What a pile of excrement!
You must have a very strange definition of terrible.
I agree - a different world perhaps - but our parents left us a different one from theirs - we are not all going to hell in a handbasket - adapt and survive.

What is terrible about this world?
- We have more respect for others?
- We have more acceptance of social / mental disorders?
- The majority of us accept a right of free speech and also accept it's consequences - just remember - if you want to stand up for your flag - you must be prepared to stand by and watch others burn it.

I for one have faith that our kids will do very nicely - thank you very much - at least the one I am responsible for - he is level headed - outspoken - brazen - but he loves - and that is all that is important.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!