Phillipou Close to Signing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StPeter
Club Player

Phillipou Close to Signing

It was reported on Channel 7's Talking Football tonight that Phillipou is close to signing a contract extension.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phillipou Close to Signing

Good

He is the last 2022 top 10 DP to sign an extension

His best is a few years away

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

at the start of last year he was calling for (and taking) some really nice high marks. He kicked some nice long range goals.

I know he is focusing more on a midfield role this year, but it seems to me like weve coached out his natural instinct to call for and fly for marks. I feel like weve taken away one of his strengths, and what weve been left with is a below average AFL midfielder (and yes yes yes, we acknowledge he is young and developing)

I will be pleased to see him sign an extension, but i wish we encouraged him to present more as a marking option.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 11:08am at the start of last year he was calling for (and taking) some really nice high marks. He kicked some nice long range goals.

I know he is focusing more on a midfield role this year, but it seems to me like weve coached out his natural instinct to call for and fly for marks. I feel like weve taken away one of his strengths, and what weve been left with is a below average AFL midfielder (and yes yes yes, we acknowledge he is young and developing)

I will be pleased to see him sign an extension, but i wish we encouraged him to present more as a marking option.
My gut says that his best role will ultimately fall in the HFF area - player comparison wise in terms of style… I think they’re thinking of him as a DeGoey type but more with a stronger marking game than a skill focused/mid one.

I reckon what’s happening right now is the at they’re trying to fast track his tank

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

makes sense, RTB is persisting in certain roles for players to get that part of the game their forte, rather than try and then dump them .. he's been around long enough i reckon to see something in players that is worth nurturing .

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

JFC

More RTB derangement syndrome. 🫨

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 11:13am
Zed wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 11:08am at the start of last year he was calling for (and taking) some really nice high marks. He kicked some nice long range goals.

My gut says that his best role will ultimately fall in the HFF area - player comparison wise in terms of style… I think they’re thinking of him as a DeGoey type but more with a stronger marking game than a skill focused/mid one.

I reckon what’s happening right now is the at they’re trying to fast track his tank
Windhager is more Degoey like than Pou

saint4life
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 1:04pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 11 Apr 2024 11:13am

Windhager is more Degoey like than Pou
I meant more in role than style
A HFF that pushes into the middle and kicks goals.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

What has happened to his set shot goal kicking.

Was a very reliable set shot early last year, he now has the sainter yips.

How do we manage to train the accuracy out of our kids? 😂

Agree he’s a couple of years away, but I still believe he’ll be a very good player. May end up on a wing?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Wheadon was working on goal kicking with 4 players today, at the start of training.

They were Pou, Caminiti, Max and ?.

The other name might come to me after my afternoon nap. :D :D

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

So if King, Marshall and Steele are $800-$900k P.A. what would Philipou command on say a 4 year extension?

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Our goal kicking is poor because we have a game plan that involves running around like 8 year olds chasing the footy. We try to play Rugby union running from one breakdown to the next and overloading the opposition by getting more numbers around the ball. When we eventually get a shot on goal our players are gassed and having to shift from panic, charge around like lunatics mode to calm collected steady mode.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Every game and every team in n the AFL has a game plan that requires a lot of running - massive amount

It’s not 1970-1980 where players just stay in their position and watch the ball and wait for it to get to them. You need to work up and down the ground.

It’s a running game.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Funny thing is

90% of AFL players drafted are very good kicks of the footy

Until it comes to a set shot. Then they go from be a natural kick to a robotic mechanical kick where they walk in slowly and try to steer the bal

One of the best kicks in the AFL is Bailey Fritsch

When asked about his routine- he said he said “I don’t have a routine, I just go back to a comfortable position and aim at a spot behind the goals and kick to it”

Your kick needs to be as fluent and natural as possible

The biggest mistake players make is the look at the goals and aim to kick between them. Big mistake!
You don’t even look at the goals! You look at something (1 target) behind the goals and just kick to that!

It’s exactly like driving a golf ball
You aim at a target - not just down the middle of the fairway

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Still nothing reported. Are we trying to penny pinch?

Saints58
Club Player

Battle is one also not resigned he is a RFA and when we offered him a 3-4 year deal a few years ago he only wonted 2 years so he could go into free agency.
I would trade him and get a early-Mid second for him to ad to our trade picks for 25 which would allow us to go after a big fish.
Now we have Van es and Arie, Keeler we have young KPD coming through which can fill the void for battle and all are bigger.
One I would look at would be Hougal Hagen with King we would have 2 key forwards for the next 10 years then we look at mids

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I would not trade Battle.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
wally
Club Player

You’d have to assume both Adelaide clubs are in Pou’s ear, my guess he wants to see how he goes a bit longer.
As far as trading players I think we are too skinny on talent to trade any out we need to add to what we have.
On one of those shows the journos seem to reckon Collingwood have salary cap space and intend to chase some free agents,
in the past they have been a preferred destination compared to us which already makes it harder.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

we all know Pou is super confident in his own ability.
I'd be fairly certain that he would also think he will be worth a big salary because he expects to be ripping up the competition.
Problem is that right now , he is not delivering at the level he would want or expect of himself.
So he probably in no rush, because he thinks if he can string a few good games together he has more justification to ask for a higher asking price.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2024 4:19pm get a early-Mid second for him to ad to our trade picks for 25 which would allow us to go after a big fish.
Two second rounders are not going to land a Big Fish.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope he signs quickly - with any other club. Slow, can't take a mark and unskilled by foot. An absolute dud.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Saints58 wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2024 4:19pm Battle is one also not resigned he is a RFA and when we offered him a 3-4 year deal a few years ago he only wonted 2 years so he could go into free agency.
I would trade him and get a early-Mid second for him to ad to our trade picks for 25 which would allow us to go after a big fish.
Now we have Van es and Arie, Keeler we have young KPD coming through which can fill the void for battle and all are bigger.
One I would look at would be Hougal Hagen with King we would have 2 key forwards for the next 10 years then we look at mids
If we could get a second rounder for Battle I would do it in a heartbeat. Very average footballer

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hasn't played a good game for 12 months!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

If Lyon isn't careful Pou is going to take him down. Surely some media attention will be shone on the Pou this week

Moods
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2024 9:39pm Let's hope he signs quickly - with any other club. Slow, can't take a mark and unskilled by foot. An absolute dud.
I've been saying this for awhile. People keep telling me he's talented. My question is, what is it particularly I'm missing that will mean he will explode before our eyes. He's not quick, his kicking skills are only average, he's not courageous or tough. He just has a big body like the Bont, or Degoey or Fyfe, so suddenly everyone thinks that's what he'll become.