Trade King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade King

The coaches of the 17 oppo teams endorse this thread wholeheartedly.
After they stopped laughing.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The thread thanks you for your SFA contribution.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 10:47am The coaches of the 17 oppo teams endorse this thread wholeheartedly.
Imagine getting Nas, Windy, Owens in exchange.

Then taking the cash and grabbing Tim English.

Is it still laughable.

English and Rowan swapping ruck/forward. Midfield depth sorted.

All from trading one player...

I get the argument it is crazy to trade him- his ceiling is ridiculously high- what if he doesn't hit it? What if this is as good as he gets? (still very good)

It may not be the right call, but it is worth a thought/exploring.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

OK. Name your price. Noting we already have the players named. Do the trade machinations and technical issues, salary cap calculations and identify the other current players that will become surplus to requirements. Factor in player, team and supporter disillusion.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 11:21pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 11:06pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 10:33pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 9:57pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 9:50pm When Plugger left, 3 years later we made a grand final.

Just saying.
No flags tho
Just sayin
Swans got some though..
How many did they get with Plugger?

My point is that if he left for the right price, it’s not the end of the world and could work in our favour.

My inclination is to keep him at this stage but we all want to see him do better.
We were fkn unlucky in 97. Not just the fact we had injuries leading up to the GF, but Winmar and Loewe played the worst games of their careers with us on that bloody day...we all know why

The point that Pav is making is valid. We traded Plugger and we became a better team.

Champion teams win flags. Good football clubs win flags. Not clubs with messiah complexes

I'd be telling King to prepare to be traded. Get the word out now. He changes his attitude or he can ship off
Thanks, Scollop.

Russell Morris had some interesting views on Plugger. This is from the Pluggered pod cast and it starts from his opinion on Plugger.

The whole video is excellent BTW and very funny.

loved that.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Doesn’t need to be traded

Needs a rocket

His effort and body language is unacceptable

He was getting flogged by Taylor for 10 minutes

Then lucky for him Taylor was subbed out, instead of stepping up and taking advantage of that he was limp as an old lettuce leaf

Don’t care about goals - just effort and body language

Nick Riewoldt had very few poor games - but when he did - no one could question his effort

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 11:36am Doesn’t need to be traded

Needs a rocket

Then lucky for him Taylor was subbed out, instead of stepping up and taking advantage of that he was limp as an old lettuce leaf

Nick Riewoldt had very few poor games - but when he did - no one could question his effort
How long does the coach let him get away with his poor attitude and effort? 75 games in and he is getting away with it on a consistent basis.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 12:12pm

Needs a rocket

How long does the coach let him get away with his poor attitude and effort? 75 games in and he is getting away with it on a consistent basis.
RTB was questioned about his game in the presser yesterday (rather meekly by the journo I might add) and put it down to the delivery inside 50. Which, in some regards fair enough, and maybe you don't want to put specific players on blast in public but come on.

Lennylegs
Club Player

I think the whole team just needs a psychological reset when it comes to Kingy. I reckon part of the reason our f50 delivery is so atrocious is because we think he's half a chance of taking a pack mark, which he is, but only on very certain occasions.

That's why I vouch for playing him between the arcs. Get him playing as far up as the backline. I said it before but Harry McKay is the model we should be basing King's game on.

Also great if someone can get a hold of him and change his bloody run up when kicking for goal. Absolutely no momentum the way he comes in. He hooks the ball chronically, which is a symptom of not following through to the target. No momentum, you just lean back and hook the ball.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 10:55am
Yorkeys wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 10:47am The coaches of the 17 oppo teams endorse this thread wholeheartedly.

Is it still laughable.

I get the argument it is crazy to trade him- his ceiling is ridiculously high- what if he doesn't hit it? What if this is as good as he gets? (still very good)

Imagine getting Tambling, O'Rourke, Angwin - and using the cash to grab Rhys Stanley back!

We are St Kilda - we CAN and most probably WOULD

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 10:39am It should be horses for courses the way they play King, but it should be team first eg:

Play close to goal against short arsed defences like Collingwood, Hawthorn etc
Play wide and as decoy against teams like Melbourne and Brisbane etc
Play further up the ground against other teams like Freo etc
Hang on. That might upset him and deny him a chance at a glorious pack mark. He's been practising taking mark of the year at training

Good post btw. Simple... logical team stuff. Why do we see the same bomb it long rubbish every week?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 12:37pm

Needs a rocket

RTB was questioned about his game in the presser yesterday (rather meekly by the journo I might add) and put it down to the delivery inside 50. Which, in some regards fair enough, and maybe you don't want to put specific players on blast in public but come on.
Totally and Lyon is famous for protecting his players in the public domain, it's why he commands great respect, he lives by a very well known adage in management and leadership and that is you praise in public and persecute in private. Hopefully Lyon pulls King into his office and shows him pictures of pineapples.

takeaway
Club Player

King has lost confidence in his kicking, which can be worked on, he has had issues in the past. Playing in the hardest position on the ground, as the main target forward, often with 2 on him, and often with poor delivery. I have no issues with his effort or attitude, probably feels as the main man up forward he is letting the team down. His body language has never been intense, that is just him. Plays plenty of good games with seemingly lazy body language.

Contrary to some of the froth and bubble on here, later this year I would be looking to extend his contract, which expires in 2026, when he is RFA. I would be doing the same for all our other younger "keepers" like NAS, Owens, Windhager, etc, many of whom expire next year. No doubt the Saints are.

Get them all well locked in before before Tassie starts raiding draft picks and players.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Well whatever it is, something needs to change, the situation can’t be left to drift along to mediocrity.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 12:43am It’s just not one bad game though. It’s been a concerning trend.
A trend now???
He was great against Pies…
1 game coach said we made it hard for our talls and it’s a M King trend??
Bizarre

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 1:40pm
shrodes wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 12:37pm

Needs a rocket

Totally and Lyon is famous for protecting his players in the public domain, it's why he commands great respect, he lives by a very well known adage in management and leadership and that is you praise in public and persecute in private. Hopefully Lyon pulls King into his office and shows him pictures of pineapples.
Yea cause Hill turning over or copious amounts of backward handball when we were trying to go forward is all on King
I see your logic … it’s written in crayon sadly

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are you comparing Kings game to that of Hill?

Do you want to go there??

Agree our system going forward is shambolick but King was pathetic really

Hill busted his gut!

Can handle mistakes

Can’t handle a 202 being non competitive

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

[bbvideo][/bbvideo]
Teflon wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 4:11pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 12:43am It’s just not one bad game though. It’s been a concerning trend.
A trend now???
He was great against Pies…
1 game coach said we made it hard for our talls and it’s a M King trend??
Bizarre
Didn’t know we were restricted to only talking about the 2024 season….and not as bizarre as suggesting that the Swans won multiple flags with Plugger. 🤦😂
Last edited by SaintPav on Sun 14 Apr 2024 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 1:05pm

Is it still laughable.

Imagine getting Tambling, O'Rourke, Angwin - and using the cash to grab Rhys Stanley back!

Nonsense. 1st round picks are a lot more bankable these days.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Max King is certainly going through a bad period right now and yesterday's 4 touch 0.1 goal effort shows that he's struggling mentally, demonstrated when he declined to kick for goal from the arc and instead tried to pass to a team mate which failed to hit the mark and resulted in a terrible turnover from which GWS goaled.

But there's Buckley's chance that St Kilda will trade him out, not on the basis of just the 4 games he's played so far this year.

Whilst both the King twins starred in junior football which led to them being drafted at picks 4 and 6 in the 2018 draft, playing professionally in the big league is an entirely different kettle of fish - not everyone succeeds, and many take years to develop into elite status. Neither twin appear to have streaks of natural aggression and give the impression through their body language that they lack energy and motivation.

Interesting to note that in the same draft as the Kings, Port Adelaide selected Connor Rozee at 5 and Zak Butters at 12....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trade King? FFS, some supporters have NFI.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 4:55pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 1:05pm

Is it still laughable.

Nonsense. 1st round picks are a lot more bankable these days.
Clark & Coffield?

Would you trade out Max for a combination of Clark & Coffield?

No thank you.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What a dumb and reactionary thread.
I can't believe this s***. It's too dumb to be true.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Do Max's critics discount the serious injuries Max has suffered, how oppositions put great effort and resources into stopping him, how our mids are infamously problematic and maybe he was carrying injuries on Saturday.
And on false equivalents, Sydney did make a GF with Tony and Richmond seemed OK recruiting Lynch. Carlton, GWS, BNE, Port Freo, Geelong all go for big huge forwards, Collingwood and Melbourne would love a Max, that would probably make Dees unbackable for the flag. I am sure we would not be improved by not having a fit Max running out in our colours. Perhaps we should ask Wilkie and Battle if they would prefer to have Max as an opponent. Perhaps expectations need recalibrating.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

I don't think a single person in this thread has claimed for a second he is anything less than an A grade player.

Most have said they would like to see more intensity and that the right trade has merit.