Garcia. Great Debut

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Garcia. Great Debut

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 6:22pm
From inside sources - Phillipou has asked for more time in the midfield to learn the craft. Considerably hard position to learn.
Which is probably why some of his games need to be at Sandy where he can play as a mid all game.

He came to us a year early, so in some ways one should think of this as his "first" year. As a first year mid it would be pretty normal to play games at Sandy as part of his development in order to get that midfield time.

Other young mids play at HB etc to be developed as they are also not ready to play as fulltime mids at senior level early on.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cordz2 wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 6:16pm Showed Philippou what a real effort looks like. - had better stats than Pou in 1/2 the time on the ground.
From inside sources - Phillipou has asked for more time in the midfield to learn the craft. Considerably hard position to learn.
As per previous post. I wouldn't mind RTB sending him to the VFL for a week or two.

He had 1 touch in the last quarter, albeit contested.

Hugo had 7 and 6 of those were contested

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Pou best at St Kilda and 14th in the league for pressure acts this year.

Top 20 in the league for tackles inside 50.

It's clear he wants to do well with and without the ball.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

10 possessions for a midfielder isn’t good enough.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 9:51pm
Which is probably why some of his games need to be at Sandy where he can play as a mid all game.

He came to us a year early, so in some ways one should think of this as his "first" year. As a first year mid it would be pretty normal to play games at Sandy as part of his development in order to get that midfield time.

Other young mids play at HB etc to be developed as they are also not ready to play as fulltime mids at senior level early on.
Prefer Owens in the guts at this stage. I’ve no doubt Phillipou will get there, but feel Owens can impact NOW

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 12:10am Pou best at St Kilda and 14th in the league for pressure acts this year.

Pressure acts to me is an odd statistic. To some degree, they indicate that you're failing to be first to the ball on a regular basis.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

They also help your team get the ball back and stop the opposition from scoring which you need to do in a game of keeping’s off.

Cordy is apparently a beast in the 1 percenters.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It fits with the development plan - get your defensive game sorted first before working on the attacking side. Doing it the other way is much harder.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Great first game and warrants a spot in the starting line up this week.
Get Hastie, Keeler and Garcia in as well and give them a fair crack at it.

Butler, Byrnes, Sharman and King don’t deserve their spots right now so let’s have a good look at the kids.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 4:32am
Otiman wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 12:10am Pou best at St Kilda and 14th in the league for pressure acts this year.

Pressure acts to me is an odd statistic. To some degree, they indicate that you're failing to be first to the ball on a regular basis.
Exactly! It's what a coach instructs a player who is failing to either get possessions or is butching what possessions are taken, the coach tells players like that to find tackles so as to be at least be dong something without the ball. It's a concern when it's a young player who was recruited as a marquee type.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 7:04pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 6:57pm Again… acknowledging that this isn’t an apples to apples comparison, this is why I hate persevering with out of form players or building the fitness of senior players in the seniors.

Absolutely should I have started ahead of Butler and was worth dropping Jones even for him to start as sub as both have been a shadow of themselves so far.

I would rather take the gamble on a Garcia doing that… and giving the chances to Hastie/Collard/Schoenmaker when they’re knocking on the door over a predictable, mediocre performance of an out of form player, every time
And I'd like to see King play at Sandy for a while and give Caminiti the number one job for run of games for the same reason. 75 games in and I am now really worried about King's spot in the forward line and on an AFL field, just doesn't look comfortable out there. He's got the same timid and nervous look that Billings plays with.
WTF does King have that looks anywhere
near what Billings has become.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 4:04pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 13 Apr 2024 6:57pm Again… acknowledging that this isn’t an apples to apples comparison, this is why I hate persevering with out of form players or building the fitness of senior players in the seniors.

Absolutely should I have started ahead of Butler and was worth dropping Jones even for him to start as sub as both have been a shadow of themselves so far.

I would rather take the gamble on a Garcia doing that… and giving the chances to Hastie/Collard/Schoenmaker when they’re knocking on the door over a predictable, mediocre performance of an out of form player, every time
And I'd like to see King play at Sandy for a while and give Caminiti the number one job for run of games for the same reason. 75 games in and I am now really worried about King's spot in the forward line and on an AFL field, just doesn't look comfortable out there. He's got the same timid and nervous look that Billings plays with.
You wanna do the dance Ramondo, I wrote it, re read it if you have forgotten it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 4:26pm

You wanna do the dance Ramondo, I wrote it, re read it if you have forgotten it.
:roll: :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 5:19pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 4:26pm

:roll: :roll:bulls*** deserves t be called out for what it is....bulls***.

StPeter
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 10:56am Great first game and warrants a spot in the starting line up this week.

Butler, Byrnes, Sharman and King don’t deserve their spots right now so let’s have a good look at the kids.
As well as Garcia, I would like to see Arie Shoenmaker given a chance.

Another excellent game yesterday. 32 possessions, 8 marks, 1 goal.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 5:23pm
saintbob wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 10:56am Great first game and warrants a spot in the starting line up this week.

As well as Garcia, I would like to see Arie Shoenmaker given a chance.

Another excellent game yesterday. 32 possessions, 8 marks, 1 goal.
Yep.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Garcia, Wilson and Windhager all look like uber-competitive types. Hate losing and hate being beaten in a contest.

Good to have some of that white line fever intensity in there. It would inspire everyone including senior players to see the drive of Garcia to win the ball

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
repta
Club Player

Reminded me of an over wound up toy.... seemed to be everywhere.
Great start.

Pou is doing pressure acts as not getting to the ball fast enough. Needs more size to spend long periods in midfield.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Does Garcia take Butler spot?
Become that hard small pressure forward who can also in future spend bursts through the midfield??
He’s got that aggression you need and yesterday Giants walked it out of our F50 with ease….

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2024 12:42am Does Garcia take Butler spot?
Become that hard small pressure forward who can also in future spend bursts through the midfield??
He’s got that aggression you need and yesterday Giants walked it out of our F50 with ease….
Certainly not opposed to the idea. Would slot right in and a good way to stay in the team. Could push into the middle for patches too

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2024 10:13pm Pou is doing pressure acts as not getting to the ball fast enough. Needs more size to spend long periods in midfield.
Sounds like he's being coached to let his opposition take him to the ball.

He will start to read it better than them in good time.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I've got Garcia as 3rd of the rising star nominees this week, behind Reid and Will Graham (14 tackles) from Gold Coast. That's an amazing feat from a 3rd quarter sub.

If he played 4 quarters at that level, he'd be this weeks nominee for sure.

damienc
Club Player

Seriously not enough is being said about Garcia and his performance.

In a word it was sensational borrowing a word.

Only 1.5 Quarters of footy, but 11 possessions, seven contested and six tackles against the current number 1 team in the competition.

This kid can clearly play AFL footy. He deserves four quarters of footy. I hope he gets it ASAP.

His desire for the footy, intensity and pressure that he brought to bear put some of his team-mates to shame.

Taken at pick 50 he could be the absolute steal of the draft.

Well done Hugo. And well done RTB for giving him a shot. Garcia is the kind of player RL loves. I call them the one percenters in terms of pressure acts.

Just love seeing a young, inexperienced player prepared to have a red hot go.

El Toro Garcia.

Plugger12

He looks like he has real potential, recruiters need a pat on their back getting him a pick in 50’s

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Geeze he's got intensity and tenaciousness in spades. Imagine if Jack Billings that those qualities - would be a Brownlow medalist.

Garcia clearly needs a couple of pre seasons in the gym but I think the small forward pressure role suits him well for now in Butler's absence. Then in a year or two he could really be a force in the middle. Jury still out on skills and decision making which could be the reason for him going so late in the draft, but he's vastly exceeded expectations so far.