Could we get a selection surprise this week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Could we get a selection surprise this week?

Collard and Hastie were taken off at Half time on Saturday in the VFL.
There was zero mention of them being injured.
Could this mean that they have been earmarked for the Bulldogs game?

It'd been pretty amazing to have four first year players in the line up at round 6

Then again, maybe I've been sniffing too much glue

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Could we get a selection surprise this week?

if they both come in , (and assuming they are replacing players not injured) and we lose the game, then we are not serious about playing finals this year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Careful sniffing super glue

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I read somewhere that Collard did a hamstring
Don’t know that it’s true

sainterinsydney
Club Player

I was at the game and can confirm that Collard definitely got injured and was taken off due to the injury. It was a leg injury.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The surprise I'd like is a revamp of the forwardline.

Pick a smaller brigade (drop both Membrey and Sharman) with pace. Butler out for lack of impact.

The tall forwards aren't taking advantage of the height difference in the matchups it creates, so try something else.

Out: Butler, Sharman, Membrey
In: Collard, Hastie, Hotton

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wilson and Garcia are enough first-year players to have in at any one time.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Big Max
Club Player

Otiman wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2024 7:25pm The surprise I'd like is a revamp of the forwardline.

Pick a smaller brigade (drop both Membrey and Sharman) with pace. Butler out for lack of impact.

The tall forwards aren't taking advantage of the height difference in the matchups it creates, so try something else.

Out: Butler, Sharman, Membrey
In: Collard, Hastie, Hotton
Not so sure about such a significant revamp.

Garcia deserves to replace Butler on form.

Max King may miss because of injury, or he may even be dropped. If so, we probably need Sharman, Membrey and Caminiti. Shoemakers has been doing well in the 2nds, I'd love to see him get his chance.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Schoenmaker’s got to be close you would think after a couple of excellent VFL outings,

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

If Collard did a hamstring then maybe Hastie was taken off in case we needed an emergency for the main game.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Selection Surprise this week would be if Garcia does not come into the 22.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
DJ Higgins
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2024 10:53pm The Selection Surprise this week would be if Garcia does not come into the 22.
I doubt Garcia will be anything but the sub at this stage. I like what I saw but we didn’t get to see half a game. What is his tank like? Personally I’d would wait for the norths game where on paper we should win easily

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Garcia should start, he and Windhager and hopefully Owens should grow into a strong midfield group.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Would it be a surprise if we get some AFL capable experienced mature and match hardened bodies into the side?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2024 10:24am Would it be a surprise if we get some AFL capable experienced mature and match hardened bodies into the side?
I agree, if it’s to be other than a development year. But who is available? Howard is down as test.

Others - Crouch, Wood, Dow, Henry - are weeks to months away. We’re just going to have to make the best of what we can put out there.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2024 10:13am Garcia should start, he and Windhager and hopefully Owens should grow into a strong midfield group.
Is Owens actually getting a run through the midfield? I’d have him in there ahead of Phillipou at this stage. I feel he can impact now whereas Phillipou is a way off … will get there though.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I’ve said before, thank goodness fans don’t pick the side.

Thursday’s game is close to being a must win for us and we have fans calling for the selection of unproven and (from what I’ve seen of them) unexciting first year players. Garcia looked like he might be something in the pre-season practice games, so fair enough. Hastie looks to me like a roll ‘em up half back line player and Hotton has barely caught the eye at Sandy.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2024 12:15pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2024 10:24am Would it be a surprise if we get some AFL capable experienced mature and match hardened bodies into the side?
I agree, if it’s to be other than a development year. But who is available? Howard is down as test.

Others - Crouch, Wood, Dow, Henry - are weeks to months away. We’re just going to have to make the best of what we can put out there.
It’s frustrating isn’t it, just for once I’d love for us to have some bloody luck on the injury front. Just hopefully there’s a positive out of it with regards to uncovering some more potential players that can go 12 rounds in the ring.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2024 1:11pm As I’ve said before, thank goodness fans don’t pick the side.

Thursday’s game is close to being a must win for us and we have fans calling for the selection of unproven and (from what I’ve seen of them) unexciting first year players. Garcia looked like he might be something in the pre-season practice games, so fair enough. Hastie looks to me like a roll ‘em up half back line player and Hotton has barely caught the eye at Sandy.
Of our youngest players Wilson and Garcia have had the best demonstrated form.

In terms of the Subs, our long combined injury and suspension list resulted in a situation where the choice of Sub was basically Campbell, or one of our recent draftees. Hayes while technically available was clearly underdone. This week is probably the first game where Hayes can be considered for the 23.

TC as a Sub is no a good option, so you can see why the Club has taken the opportunity to rotate the draftees through the Sub. It is more because they had no other choice. Collard and Hastie I doubt would ever have been in discussion to be in the 22.

Arie has also looked OK, but our backline options were still quite good despite no Webster. The acquisition of Bonner also helped to not consider Arie. though it will not surprise if he gets the gig as a Sub at some time.

Garcia was subbed in quite early, went very well. Our midfield has at times lacked this season and with Crouch and Dow still not available given Garcia's preseason, VFL and now AFL showings I think he is probably the best option to come in if the selectors drop Butler.

I very much like Butler as a player, and what he adds to our team. But his form on return has been one ok game, but then two poor games. His GWS game was dreadful. For whatever reason he is out of sorts at present.

Garcia will add a midfield rotation, and has also shown that part of his game is that he adds pressure (something that Butler in others seasons has excelled at). I think he is a worthy choice. I also think that he really is the only choice at present as none of our other younger players, except possibly Arie, have shown that they are worthy of being picked in the 22. And Arie is not the type of player we need to come in this week.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2024 1:52pm
meher baba wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2024 1:11pm As I’ve said before, thank goodness fans don’t pick the side.

Of our youngest players Wilson and Garcia have had the best demonstrated form.

In terms of the Subs, our long combined injury and suspension list resulted in a situation where the choice of Sub was basically Campbell, or one of our recent draftees. Hayes while technically available was clearly underdone. This week is probably the first game where Hayes can be considered for the 23.

TC as a Sub is no a good option, so you can see why the Club has taken the opportunity to rotate the draftees through the Sub. It is more because they had no other choice. Collard and Hastie I doubt would ever have been in discussion to be in the 22.

Arie has also looked OK, but our backline options were still quite good despite no Webster. The acquisition of Bonner also helped to not consider Arie. though it will not surprise if he gets the gig as a Sub at some time.

Garcia was subbed in quite early, went very well. Our midfield has at times lacked this season and with Crouch and Dow still not available given Garcia's preseason, VFL and now AFL showings I think he is probably the best option to come in if the selectors drop Butler.

I very much like Butler as a player, and what he adds to our team. But his form on return has been one ok game, but then two poor games. His GWS game was dreadful. For whatever reason he is out of sorts at present.

Garcia will add a midfield rotation, and has also shown that part of his game is that he adds pressure (something that Butler in others seasons has excelled at). I think he is a worthy choice. I also think that he really is the only choice at present as none of our other younger players, except possibly Arie, have shown that they are worthy of being picked in the 22. And Arie is not the type of player we need to come in this week.
Excellent post. On Butler - the slack I cut him is that he had a 6 week pre-season. Certainly didn’t joint the main group until well after the return from the Xmas break.

Go you red, black & white warriors
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2024 1:33pm
bigcarl wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2024 12:15pm

It’s frustrating isn’t it, just for once I’d love for us to have some bloody luck on the injury front. Just hopefully there’s a positive out of it with regards to uncovering some more potential players that can go 12 rounds in the ring.
SAINTS’ WAITING GAME BEFORE SEEKING MORE TALENT
Josh Barnes, herldsun.com.au

St Kilda will wait to determine how far off premiership contention it is this year before opening the chequebook to use its vast cap space.

It comes as club president Andrew Bassat continues to preach patience with fans.

The 2-3 Saints could easily have a better ladder position, given losses to Geelong (eight points), Essendon (four points) and the GWS Giants (one point), around narrow wins over Collingwood and Richmond.

Coach Ross Lyon and Bassat have constantly committed to not taking shortcuts on the way to becoming a regular top-four side.

In a letter to St Kilda members on Tuesday, Bassat wrote that the club’s long-term plan would “remain grounded”, despite a surprise finals appearance last year, and the club wanted to walk the tightrope of winning while blooding youth.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

My changes would be
In: Jones (not as sub), Garcia to bench
Outs: Butler, Sharman (Cooper was good in the Pies game but otherwise ineffective)

It means we lose height but Sharman wasn't giving much presence in the air anyway

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Out: King
In: Garcia into the 22. Jones as sub
Sharman to replace King in forward half

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'd love to see Membrey, Caminiti and Sharman up against the Doggies backline

It will be a huge welcome surprise if Cooper is played 100% as a Forward

DJ Higgins
Club Player

What ever we choose to do I hope cooper and Owens get to play one role for the whole game. They seem to be used as Jack of all trades but aren’t mastering any like last year re Owens.

Also Sinclair needs to grow his mullet back asap as he is so far off his previous years form
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Wed 17 Apr 2024 6:22pm, edited 1 time in total.