King ...out of form or

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nobhead
Club Player

Re: King ...out of form or

As supporters on a forum we have a responsability to be respectful to our players. I understand the fustration with max and im sure he feels the same way when he has a bad game .not knowing whats going on behind the scenes and not being privy to all the facts its hard to be brutally critical at times ,so just keep that in mind before you get on here and tear him a new arsehole .im sure it doesn't help the situation at all .maybe when you do post smething on here try and be supportive and encouraging ,so that way when players get on here and read stuff written about them they don't feel hated by their own supporters.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Elite sport is a tough business - everything is there to see plain and simple- you are measured each week by performance

You get 800K

You need to deliver (at the very least effort!)

King did not deliver, and imo did not give his best effort

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 11:45pm Here’s some champion Key forwards to check out at the same age

Jeremy Cameron - AA
Matthew Lloyd - AA
Chris Grant - Star
Nick Reiwoldt - AFL MVP
Jack Reiwoldt - Coleman Medal
Wayne Carey - Captain
Tony Lockett - Brownlow/Coleman
Jonathon Brown - Triple Premiership player
David Nietz - Gun Swingman
Garry Lyon - B&F
John Longmire - Coleman
Stephen Kernahan - Captain of Premiership
Dermott Brereton- Superstar premiership player

Could go on and on

Max was billed to be the best key forward of this generation

He’s looking like being an inconsistent B Grader who drops his head - like Joe Daniher

How many had missed basically two full seasons through injury.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

What I want to know is, where are the coaches?

He has all these apparent obvious issues that we and TV commentators can easily point out, why can't (or aren't) the coaches? Why aren't they telling him to lead more and stop wrestling? Why aren't they telling him to be more active? Why aren't they telling him to go harder with second efforts?

And if they are and he's not responding, why aren't they dropping him?

I agree he does get rubbish delivery a lot of the time, and the 'bomb it long' gameplan seems ingrained in St Kilda to everyone's (except the coaches?) frustration, but I (and others obviously) think he should be doing better.

Unfortunately IMO I don't think we're getting the A grade elite star we hoped when drafted, I'm also along the lines of he's the next Joe Daniher.

That's why the trade talk needs to be had, if you could trade Joe Daniher away but get Jeremy Cameron's worth, wouldn't you be silly not to at least think about it?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Again this wasn't an issue in Round 2 when he was one of our best. One of the hardest parts about being a key forward is getting your timing. Missing games impacts that.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 12:12am No comparison to Roo at the same stage of his career.

None at all.
Definitely not....

2001Nick waltzes into Harvard - Gehrig, Everitt, Loewe, Hall...with Hamill, Hayes, Harvey, Milne in the mid and small forwards....SUPPORT. ALL DAY EVERY GAME...for years.

King crawls into Frankston TAFE and he's got who ? The world class AAA Membrey ? Good player but hardly a forward legend of the game from whom King is mentored, sheltered, guided, and led to greatness....multiple different rucks and a mid field thats B grade at very very best...prob more like C+.

This is what Ive said for years....we draft a hopeful KPP but have no star quality seniors to guide and mentor the pups then we sh1t all over them for fumbling their way through a munted career.

Can a player do it on his own with no guidance? Yes. Is it often? No its actually rare...

Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 06 May 2024 7:25pm
Why don’t you just come out and say it and stop hiding behind “he could/maybe consider his options” 😂
I think he knows that
I’m also not privy to his mental state but you apparently are so fire away!
OK, so what do you think is the reason King prefers not to take a set shot for goal from the 50m arc, and prefers to lay off with a hurried pass to another player, which he's done in a few games lately?

Wouldn't you agree that has to do with his lack of belief that he can actually kick the goal?

I recall Cameron Mooney saying that he went through a really dark mental phase about kicking for goal to the extent that he hoped his team mates wouldn't kick the ball to him as the nerves were killing him....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Killa
Club Player

Missed a couple with a knee complaint - and to me it appeared there is still restriction but not enough to keep him on the sidelines

Players do post sore

Hopefully what we will see from here is Hayes continuing to impact (and take advantage of King being present), taking focus off King who is our only KPP forward

Owens, Membrey et al are all midfield size

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Mark Scott and Malcom Scott were probably better at same stage.

Con Gorozidis too!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 10:36am Sick of excuses for him

Time to man up and have a crack
Man up Max !
Footy advice from the great !!
What a load of shyte

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

From BF ..thank **** for some perspective

I find the King hate extraordinary. Tom Hawkins in his first 5 seasons played 79 games and kicked 107 goals. King has played 76 games in 5 seasons and kicked 147 goals.

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

And he’d played in 2 premierships

And he’s probably is the highest GA key forward in history

In his sixth season - Kings current season
Hawkins kicked 62

But remember

It’s not all about goals- it’s about effort - which was deplorable - a liability he was called!!!

You can accept insipid- me, nope, won’t have it

Imagine if Seb Ross had a game like that?!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 9:17pm And he’d played in 2 premierships

And he’s probably is the highest GA key forward in history

In his sixth season - Kings current season
Hawkins kicked 62

But remember

It’s not all about goals- it’s about effort - which was deplorable - a liability he was called!!!

You can accept insipid- me, nope, won’t have it

Imagine if Seb Ross had a game like that?!
Keep talking the threads bookmarked …
The beauty with muppets like you is you don’t have to wait long …guess you can just move on to your next doom and gloom whinge ….cause no one had your magical abilities…you were just unlucky not to be drafted …had a cold that day or something?

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Abuse now - just a sign of desperation- I really should report you!

Bookmark it all you want

I never once said he cannot ever be good - my assessment was of his game just gone!

He could end up being the second coming of Jesus

Doesn’t change the fact he was flogged by Aidan Corr and in a game with a 6 goal win, 62 inside 50s he had 6 possessions and kicked a free kick goal

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

To have a poor game is human. To forgive is divine.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 9:46pm Abuse now - just a sign of desperation- I really should report you!

Bookmark it all you want

I never once said he cannot ever be good - my assessment was of his game just gone!

Doesn’t change the fact he was flogged by Aidan Corr and in a game with a 6 goal win, 62 inside 50s he had 6 possessions and kicked a free kick goal
But you don’t get it. It’s the forward coach who is teaching him not to lead.

He doesn’t want King to sweat too much because it affects his grip when he’s kicking for goal

Robert Harvey’s trademark was working his backside off, but Teflon understands that Banger needs to treat King differently

Only Teflon gets it

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 9:46pm Abuse now - just a sign of desperation- I really should report you!

Bookmark it all you want

So you admit you’ve gone off half cocked on 1 game ??
Now you’re ba k peddling quicker than an Italian WW2 tank?
Fair enough
Takes a big man to admit they got it wrong.
Kudos to you for trying.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 4:19pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 12:12am No comparison to Roo at the same stage of his career.

None at all.
Definitely not....

2001Nick waltzes into Harvard - Gehrig, Everitt, Loewe, Hall...with Hamill, Hayes, Harvey, Milne in the mid and small forwards....SUPPORT. ALL DAY EVERY GAME...for years.

King crawls into Frankston TAFE and he's got who ? The world class AAA Membrey ? Good player but hardly a forward legend of the game from whom King is mentored, sheltered, guided, and led to greatness....multiple different rucks and a mid field thats B grade at very very best...prob more like C+.

This is what Ive said for years....we draft a hopeful KPP but have no star quality seniors to guide and mentor the pups then we sh1t all over them for fumbling their way through a munted career.

Can a player do it on his own with no guidance? Yes. Is it often? No its actually rare...
Great post
The side King has walked into is in middle of a 10 year rebuild

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 2:34pm What I want to know is, where are the coaches?

He has all these apparent obvious issues that we and TV commentators can easily point out, why can't (or aren't) the coaches? Why aren't they telling him to lead more and stop wrestling? Why aren't they telling him to be more active? Why aren't they telling him to go harder with second efforts?

And if they are and he's not responding, why aren't they dropping him?

I agree he does get rubbish delivery a lot of the time, and the 'bomb it long' gameplan seems ingrained in St Kilda to everyone's (except the coaches?) frustration, but I (and others obviously) think he should be doing better.

Unfortunately IMO I don't think we're getting the A grade elite star we hoped when drafted, I'm also along the lines of he's the next Joe Daniher.

That's why the trade talk needs to be had, if you could trade Joe Daniher away but get Jeremy Cameron's worth, wouldn't you be silly not to at least think about it?
Re coaches I agree
Have wondered the same - surely someone is working with him on leading patterns?
Up at the player ball, double back, separation and if things aren’t going to plan - get up the ground
I do wonder what our forward coach Rob Harvey is teaching and ffs if you weren’t a forward….get someone down to work with him

“Yeah….nah””
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

He's going to have Henry back in the side this week who can deliver the ball to him.
Hopefully Henry's better skills may bring him more into the game and give him some confidence.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

None at all.
Definitely not....

I like this take on it all.

In the context of teams like North Melbourne and Hawthorn struggling to build a competitive side.

Carlton and Essendon as well.

You almost need to go through two 'rebuilds' from the bottom to get one competitive team.

West Coast are lucky they still have a core of senior players to mentor the juniors. IMO they will play finals before North and Hawthorn.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 10:49pm

None at all.
Definitely not....

Great post
Not really. I recall watching games where Roo would take 10 marks but we would lose by 70 points. A game at Marvel against the bombers stands out in my memory. Roo started off in an average team but he made it a great team.

But Roo was a generational player. A bit unfair to make comparisons to him. King is struggling. Started the year really well, but just prior to his injury and now just after, he’s really struggling. I’m frustrated with him as well but we have no one else who is capable of what he does when he plays well. We need to move it quicker and give him a jump at the ball. He’s more like Paul Salmon than Nick Riewoldt

Moods
Saintsational Legend

None at all.
Definitely not....

Great post
Not really. I recall watching games where Roo would take 10 marks but we would lose by 70 points. A game at Marvel against the bombers stands out in my memory. Roo started off in an average team but he made it a great team.

But Roo was a generational player. A bit unfair to make comparisons to him. King is struggling. Started the year really well, but just prior to his injury and now just after, he’s really struggling. I’m frustrated with him as well but we have no one else who is capable of what he does when he plays well. We need to move it quicker and give him a jump at the ball. He’s more like Paul Salmon than Nick Riewoldt

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

None at all.
Definitely not....

Good post

People can't have it both ways.

Most on this forum were happy we let go of Josh Bruce. Sure, he wasn't a star, but he would have been very handy while King was just learning the caper

You and I argued that it was a mistake to have Membrey as the only KP player left in our forward line.

Thinking about Josh Bruce and his move to the Dogs. I'm sure Bevo had in mind for him to be the guy taking the number 1 or number 2 KP Defender, while Ugle-Hagan was doing his apprenticeship

spert
Saintsational Legend

None at all.
Definitely not....

Great post
The Saints have been rebuilding for decades..