Hunter Clark

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hunter Clark

tony74 wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 4:04pm Doesn’t mean he enjoys the weights session, but he does it.
What does he enjoy…playing Xbox and Play Station?

Jfc, he gets paid to do weights! I don’t want a reply from tony…just wanting to highlight how these guys don’t realise how lucky they are to be earning a decent living playing sport

Strength work is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle for the position he plays

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 10:26pm
tony74 wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 4:04pm Doesn’t mean he enjoys the weights session, but he does it.
What does he enjoy…playing Xbox and Play Station?

Jfc, he gets paid to do weights! I don’t want a reply from tony…just wanting to highlight how these guys don’t realise how lucky they are to be earning a decent living playing sport

Strength work is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle for the position he plays
Haven't you heard, money doesn't buy happiness. And stereotyping xbox/playstation users as can't be jocks is not like you. Anyway, some do have huge thumbs and could hitch hike to the moon.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The crouch rumours came from the same place as those suggesting Pou was going back to SA.

I wouldn't believe them.

Just because you hear the same rumour from multiple places doesn't make it any more true.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 10:15pm Lincoln McCarthy spent 6 full years on Geelong’s list and could only manage 29 senior appearances due to various injuries.

Hunter Clark will recover from this.

McCarthy had a really good run in the last 5 years at Brisbane but unfortunately the team is cursed atm, and he’s one of 4 players to have done their acl this year including Kidean Coleman and Tom Doedee.

Will Ashcroft did a season ending acl knee injury midway though last year and prior to that it was Cam Rayner and Eric Hipwood.
I don’t care about opposition.

At this stage. Epic fail and lucky to still be on the list.
FFS it’s not a charity.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 11:33pm [quote=Scollop post_id=2057479 time=1715080501 user_id=19933

FFS it’s not a charity.
[/quote]
What's he failed at?
Cheek bone not being as strong as McKays hip bone? Not ducking a flailing Crouch? Whimping in a contest? (hardly)
Not sure how Hunter has failed?
Agree he is lucky to be alive and not have brain damage let alone still playing well on our list, because he is too brave for his own good. Maybe he's failed some common-sense rule by attacking contests so fearlessly. Tut tut.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 11:58pm
Annoyedsaint wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 11:33pm [quote=Scollop post_id=2057479 time=1715080501 user_id=19933

FFS it’s not a charity.
What's he failed at?
Cheek bone not being as strong as McKays hip bone? Not ducking a flailing Crouch? Whimping in a contest? (hardly)
Not sure how Hunter has failed?
Agree he is lucky to be alive and not have brain damage let alone still playing well on our list, because he is too brave for his own good. Maybe he's failed some common-sense rule by attacking contests so fearlessly. Tut tut.
[/quote]

Is the club bigger than the individual?
If it’s not working you move them on.

Harsh? Debatable.

Mucked around with Billings for far too long, now history repeating with Clark. Next minute he’s 28 and has zero trade value and we’ve wasted 10 years on a pick 8 draft pick that’s provided nothing. That’s the reality.

No amount of your waffle changes that.
He’s never shown what Wilson showed as an 18 year old and it’s carried through with minimal improvement. Thus it’s Groundhog Day over and over again because the same mistakes are made.

Killa
Club Player

Unfortunately, there are times when attending AFL matches you do not feel safe

This is because of the reactions at what is transpiring on the field by certain in the audience (so the other side of the fence from the players and the umpires)

Then you read what some contribute to these sites

I would also add that those carrying on as they do are honed in on by television cameras

This is not only a poor reflection on certain who attend AFL matches but reflects poorly on society - a society which is having a conversation based on respect

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Wed 08 May 2024 12:42am Unfortunately, there are times when attending AFL matches you do not feel safe

This is because of the reactions at what is transpiring on the field by certain in the audience (so the other side of the fence from the players and the umpires)

I would also add that those carrying on as they do are honed in on by television cameras

This is not only a poor reflection on certain who attend AFL matches but reflects poorly on society - a society which is having a conversation based on respect
Wtf are you on about? So people criticising players on a fan forum are all carrying on like pork chops at games? Is that the connection? I get bloody frustrated with certain players and have no problems having an opinion on them on here, however I would never call out abuse at a Saints player in a game, save for muttering a few unpleasantries about said player to a nearby mate. One thing doesn’t equal another

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Moods wrote: Wed 08 May 2024 1:23am
Killa wrote: Wed 08 May 2024 12:42am Unfortunately, there are times when attending AFL matches you do not feel safe

Wtf are you on about? So people criticising players on a fan forum are all carrying on like pork chops at games? Is that the connection? I get bloody frustrated with certain players and have no problems having an opinion on them on here, however I would never call out abuse at a Saints player in a game, save for muttering a few unpleasantries about said player to a nearby mate. One thing doesn’t equal another
Do we golf clap then instead?
Better luck next time?

Or everyone just walks out like they did in disgust 10 mins into third qtr with no criticism or accountability?

It’s cut throat sport. Not the under 10’s.

SteeleSaints
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 4:04pm Good news for both Hunter and Fruity. Hunts knee escaped any serious injury. And to dispel any doubts Clark’s pre season with running and weights was first class. Doesn’t mean he enjoys the weights session, but he does it. Van Es likely to go on long term injury list
Imo the club have really let him off the hook in this regard. I'd bet half the kids who have been recruited in the past two years are stronger than Hunter in the gym. For his own betterment I would be setting him goals in the gym to reach before he was allowed to play.

It's like our club phys ed's set the players programs and let them self manage, well from experience some kids need to be pushed to acheive improvement otherwise they just coast. I can garuantee Hunter is exactly that...

As I said earlier the best thing for Hunter and the club at years end is if he finds another club to take him on. He is never going to improve or reach great heights with his attitude to preparing his body. And our club have basically mismanaged his development it's time another club had a look.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I would like to add, that not everyone responds to intense weight training in the same way.
Our metabolisms vary greatly, as well as the interplay between our biological systems, and how muscles react to resistance training.
You look at marathon runners, they're built like greyhounds.
No matter how hard they work in the gym, they just won't add any meat.
Your average NRL player is the opposite.

Maybe, just maybe, Hunts' body type is the endurance variety. Lean and low fat.
He'll never look like Tom Hawkins or a barrel-chested Aaron Naughton. Can't build lots of muscle.

🤷‍♂️

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

You can be toned though.
Lifting 5kg dumbbells aren’t going to help your spaghetti arms

Might be wrong, but there is no urgency in the way he plays, no get up and go or “stuff you, you’re not getting that ground ball before I do”.

No strength in contest, then finds ways to get injured.

A lot of it sounds like fitness staff (and recruitment staff for not finding the right bodied players - strength & height) have a lot to answer for over the journey.

As I’ve said, hasn’t worked so far and on all available evidence it won’t.

It’s so frustrating.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

When he gets impact injuries, he's been putting himself in harm's way.
Dal Santo looked a bit laconic, not manic like Zak Jones.

Pendlebury always looks slow rather than frantic

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

No one should doubt his attack on the contest. Some of his work in congestion is outstanding

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 8:46pm
cwrcyn wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 3:05pm Wow....nice.

So, when Robert Harvey was suffering his multiple hamstring strains in the middle of his career, I suppose we should have dumped him.

I suppose we should dump Max King, too.

And that Liam Henry. Tore his hamstring in his second game. Let's get rid of him. Clearly hadn't prepared himself properly.

The Hunter Clark bashing continues by the keyboard hard arses. Most of his injuries have been contact injuries, for God's sake.
He’s been on the list for 8 years!!

It’s not an outlier anymore. Either he is not preparing well enough or his body just isn’t up to AFL.
As was mentioned, why is he still a pretzel and has no muscle mass? Windhager at least ate weights over the summer and makes Clark look like a teenager.

Either way. If it’s long term, then time is up.
Almost all his injuries have been contact injuries because the bloke is too courageous for his own good.
And you do realise that some people are just genetically better at gaining muscle mass than others. You can't compare Windhager to Clark, they are completely different

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I think at Windy's age, the body is still growing and responds far better to weights, as in building lots of muscle fibre and bulk, but Clark missed his peak window due to his (per Tony74) dislike of weights, and perhaps decided his endurance was his claim to fame and chose that as his focus.
At his age, it's too late to put on 8kg of muscle in one off-season. Will not happen. That ship sailed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SteeleSaints wrote: Wed 08 May 2024 2:04am
tony74 wrote: Tue 07 May 2024 4:04pm Good news for both Hunter and Fruity. Hunts knee escaped any serious injury. And to dispel any doubts Clark’s pre season with running and weights was first class. Doesn’t mean he enjoys the weights session, but he does it. Van Es likely to go on long term injury list
Imo the club have really let him off the hook in this regard. I'd bet half the kids who have been recruited in the past two years are stronger than Hunter in the gym. For his own betterment I would be setting him goals in the gym to reach before he was allowed to play.

It's like our club phys ed's set the players programs and let them self manage, well from experience some kids need to be pushed to acheive improvement otherwise they just coast. I can garuantee Hunter is exactly that...

As I said earlier the best thing for Hunter and the club at years end is if he finds another club to take him on. He is never going to improve or reach great heights with his attitude to preparing his body. And our club have basically mismanaged his development it's time another club had a look.
I have a one word answer to your post.....bulls***.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Have I missed something? WTF does a knee injury have to do with conditioning? Impact injury isn't it?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Clark has strong legs.
Probably not a good idea for him to put on upper-body bulk (he doesn't have speed to burn, as it is, to be fair) - anyway, he doesn't need to (bulk up) given his evasive skills and footy smarts.

He will be very handy when he returns. No doubt.

Overdue for a change of luck.

Important player.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 08 May 2024 2:55pm I think at Windy's age, the body is still growing and responds far better to weights, as in building lots of muscle fibre and bulk, but Clark missed his peak window due to his (per Tony74) dislike of weights, and perhaps decided his endurance was his claim to fame and chose that as his focus.
At his age, it's too late to put on 8kg of muscle in one off-season. Will not happen. That ship sailed.
If that ship has sailed then so has his career.
Not an outside mid as he’s too slow and running capacity is poor.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What’s the fascination with weights and bulking up?!

Stood next to Liam Henry at Sandy last week

Skinny as a whip

Being big, can cost speed, agility and endurance

Not sure why everyone bangs on about it?!

Some players are naturally bulky like DeGoey, Dusty and Petracca but they use that natural bulk for their extreme but natural power

Adding shitloads of weight to a light frame is silly and detrimental

My concern with Hunter, and Luke Dunstan before him
Poor fitness levels and running ability.

Every modern AFL player needs to be able to run

Btw
Windhager has lost weight since being drafted- is now lean as fk

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

[quote=B.M post_id=2057601 time=1715159295

Stood next to Liam Henry at Sandy last week

Skinny as a whip

Did skinny Liam say: Hi, you're Big, M.

repta
Club Player

Weights will ultimately strengthen anyone.

I can't believe some of the comments on this page.
There is inside mids and outside mids.
Inside mids need to be strong
outside mids need to be fast.
Clarke isn't blessed with speed (or much endurance really). Therefore needs to be strong around the ball otherwise he will just get pushed off it.
The conditioning and development coach hasn't done their job.

Wow we have stuffed up our development over the last 10 years (and continue to do so)

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Just thinking through how 10kg of extra muscle stops your face being shattered into multiple pieces .... unless that 10kg is around your face

Hunter is only just turned 25 and when up and about he is absolute quality ... a few years back we were all drooling about his matrix cat like moves and his skills ..... now a few want him gone because he has been super unlucky with injuries that have nothing to with fitness or muscle mass

To trade him now when he is just coming into his prime years is nuts

I am firmly on the keep bandwagon

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Wed 08 May 2024 11:58pm Weights will ultimately strengthen anyone.

I can't believe some of the comments on this page.
There is inside mids and outside mids.
Inside mids need to be strong
outside mids need to be fast.
Clarke isn't blessed with speed (or much endurance really). Therefore needs to be strong around the ball otherwise he will just get pushed off it.
The conditioning and development coach hasn't done their job.

Wow we have stuffed up our development over the last 10 years (and continue to do so)
Are you saying that his face needs to be stronger around the ball? Cause that's where he keeps getting hit

As for endurance ... he has had multiple games with 25+ possessions with a lot being contested ...... does that constitute having endurance?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!