So this is modern day football?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:concur meher.

we are still the better team out there despite the scoreboard.

if we can maintain what we are doing and get a lift from others we will win this at a canter.
I am not sure I agree with this. We dont have the same kicking skills around the ground or in fron of goal.

Lets face it the Swans game style is poor but they still win games. Why? They do it better than others, Why? They are accountable and their skills in kicking to their forwards seems sure, controlled, well drilled and they have midfielders that assist in kicking goals.

The Saints have a great tall forward structure but once they dont mark the ball or stop moving, the ball falls to ground and we tend to lose it. I call this lack of forward pressure.

We also seem to lack plays around ruck taps to boost clearances so we often chase bums rather than create opportunity.

The Swans have better foot skills so they can play this rubbish game style well. The Weagles and Geelong this year have shown what can be done if effort is placed around opening up a game.

We also did this as a young team against Carlton in the 1996 Preseason and again it worked in 2004 against Geelong in the NAB cup. Play to the team stength and develop the accountability. The more open style is more fitting for younger players with less built up bodies and allows the list to go decidely deeper.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:54am, edited 1 time in total.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:What was the free count? How many easy goals from frees to them? I can almost smell a rat... enter DimWit. "Sydney must be in the finals, there's enough vic teams, sorry saints. We need an even spread. AFL is all about dollars. So, try again next year, maybe they'll be less vic teams."

No more social club to watch the fuxtup games, the recent rule changes, the flooding, the tanking, GT V RB side show, Dim the Dictator, Collo the Rent Lord, I'm with ya JB.

No-one mentions AFL at work - no-one, you never see anyone wearing a jumper around the streets or kids having a lazy kick to kick.

BTW, The PreLim final against the swines was exactly the same non event. And that was pre-RL.

But wait... it'll be great when RB get's his light show up and running. 8-)
quite possibly the most incoherent post on this forum.
bravo

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:err.... thanks :?
onya AOK, I'm with you 100% on this one.

It must be corrupt.

It's hard to fathom anything different anymore.

How the fork the AFL can crap on about everything being OK is absolute bullshyte.

The game is rooted, the fans have been bent over several times and they WILL totally screw it up soon.

I hope the A-League keeps it's momentum up and takes over as number one sport in Melbourne over the next 20 years.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

i guess you guys also think the moon landing was staged huh?

we lost a game of football because the other team was better on the night.

Behind Play
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:I would pay $1000 to the club and so would 1000 other members if we got Leigh Matthews down in 2008.
Still not sure about RL, he may be a good coach, and may eventually take us all the way. However, the club did themselves no favors by not trying to interview Bomber last year.
Look how he has turned Geelong around.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Ill sit halfway on this one

Whilst the concept of the AFL actually telling umpires to favour Interstate teams is fanciful at best, I DO think that vociferous home town crowds do affect decsions. Always have, always will.

Well there IS AFL talk at my work..and plenty of it..but..I gotta say that the amount of passiionate discussion by the 20-something guys there about their EPL Fantasy teams has surprised me.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:
duckduckduckgoose wrote:we lost a game of football because the other team was better on the night.
The umpiring rant was only part of my incoherent post. Usually I agree, a loss is never umpire related. A silly conspiracy theory is all one can imagine for last nights ridiculous umpiring decisions. The mind boggles! My incoherent post mainly attempted to point out there are many factors why AFL is losing appeal... in as few words as possible. For instance I could've gone on at length re the draw... we played the same team a few weeks ago... how's that work? There's just so many reasons why AFL sucks these days. I'm spitting incoherent chips! :wink: :lol:
I am confused. Why is the AFL losing appeal. Biggest crowds ever and great TV ratings. Maybe losing appeal to Saints supporters but doubt Geelong supporters think the same.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Watch membership drop off again next year.

Until we play the attacking brand of football that our playing group is capable of, the numbers will keep falling.

I have my doubts as to whether or not we can beat Richmond in round 22. If we play like we have the last couple of weeks , Iwould say not.

Forget about the next 2 weeks. Freo will murder us and the Coasters will not allow another loss to us this year and I can't see there is anythig we can do about it.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

asiu

I DO think that vociferous home town crowds do affect decsions.
the ten minutes leading into half time did my head in .....the sydney crowd were silent (until decisions were made).....and stayed silent (until decisions were made) till they hit the front in the third

can't and won't watch the replay ....but i was hav'n a full on stress attack at half time ....... the yellow maggots were blatantly pro sydney imo

that said .....we are pretenders , and didnt deserve to win it anyway

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:OK... let's look at crowds. Melbourne's population has grown while footy crowds have stayed the same - or less. In the 70's it was 6 games a week in 1 state. Not only has Melbourne grown, add on 4 other states and up the games to 8 each week. Crowds are only technically up.

I never hear anyone mention AFL in my daily travels. I guess I'm just an old sentimental fool who loved the heady VFL days. Carn'a Mighty Saints!
You werent at the game obviouly 63000 at a Sydney game. Yes thet might know much about it but what a great number. All kicking footballs. And no one mentions AFL in your travels. Where do you work. They certainly mention it every day where I am.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Who counted them?

At least 13 thousand got in free in pink and probably brought their family with them.

If it wasn't for breast cancer awareness (which I am all for) I doubt there would have been 30,000 there.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Who counted them?

At least 13 thousand got in free in pink and probably brought their family with them.

If it wasn't for breast cancer awareness (which I am all for) I doubt there would have been 30,000 there.
$50 to get in for the breast cancer awerness. My family did it. So that wasnt free. When last in melbourne that night got 30000.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

our forward line is our biggest strength, so wouldn't the gameplan that best suits us involve getting the ball down to them as quickly and as many times as possible

someone please tell me if i'm wrong....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

your wrong.

Our forward line isn't our biggest strength.

We have Nick Riewoldt.
Thats it.

take him out of the mix and we have:
a full forward who feigns interest in playing football,
a forward pocket who has brain meltdowns and plays on inexplicably,
non existant half forward downhill skiers,
and a poor bugger of a chf/ruckman who invents new and wacky ways of injuring himself on a regular basis.

regularly we have had more inside 50's and/or scoring shots than our opponent and lost the game this year.

THE major part of a good forward line is converting the hard work done downfield, into a result on the scoreboard.

We don't do that, therefore we DON'T have a good forward line.