Ross Lyon...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

carn_sainter
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon...

Teflon wrote:
carn_sainter wrote:
Teflon wrote:Face facts - the sooks come out screaming to sack the coach like a pack of screaming hyenas after we lose....they'll crawl back under their rocks next win.....just drooling over the next loss......and away we go again...weak as.
you are the biggest running joke i've seen on this site...

do you not realise this is exactly what you did for 3 years?

laughable...

no credibility

as for ross, he's alright...sure can't be blamed for the butchered disposal that has hurt us most

good coach by virtue of not being a bad coach...as long as he has the players united and believeing, most of his job is done...

now, if they can just hit a few targets...
Grant Thomas had 5 yrs - Ross Lyons had 18 games work it you simple pr!ck.!!!!!

And who the f@rk would ever get credibility reading the shyte you come up with anyway nor care if they didnt have it by your warped standards??????

Add to the topic rather than personalise it and if you cant muster a sensible thought shut the f@rk up. :roll:
yeah, get a load of this level headed 'shyte' i've posted here...

sorry to hurt your feelings mate

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Once AGAIN a discussion on coaching turns inito a slanging match...Ive edited out a couple of pieces of abuse, but keep it up and Ill just lock it the whole thing

Oh..and if you see abuse..please dont quote it..,just makes it that much more time consuming for mods to remove it :D

Goods manners cost nothing :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon...

Teflon wrote:Weak is going with the flock cause they might just laugh at a lame gag or it could score you internet heroism.......but carry on.... :wink:
I bow to you superior knowledge of lame gags
dodgy pox
and internet heroism
And who the f@rk would ever get credibility reading the shyte you come up with
if you cant muster a sensible thought shut the f@rk up.
and of course your favorite
Edited to remove abuse..mod
But if highlighting your hypocrisy is going with the flock, I'm not suprised ! :wink:

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

when are you pro and ant GT wankers ever get over it? :roll: :roll:

If you want to critisise Lyon, by all means. I mean I have after the past few shockers, and this crap flooding bulls###, but why do the same tawdry bunch of whining clowns have to bring up the name of the previous coach.

This thread is entitled Ross Lyon, not Grant Thomas.

FFS every time I hear this comparision with a previous it s.hites me to tears.

Going by your idiotic logic, we should actually bemoan the fact Yabby Jeans isn't the coach anymore. After all he has a better record than all other Saints coaches :roll:

Get over your Greant Thomas fixation or seek professional help.

You lot are as boring as our current gameplan :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:when are you pro and ant GT wankers ever get over it? :roll: :roll:
It's an issue that can only be solved by tag team jelly wrestling.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Iratedebate wrote:
teffers dishing out the abuse.

btw he wasn't brought in as a rookie coach, he was brought in to finish the job.

and look at the team GT inherited and where they were, and look at the team RL inherited
Yep due to Malcolm Blight and poor ladder finishes, GT inherited the best of both worlds. He inherited talented players with experience and the BEST young kids in the country. RL on the other hand inherited a team that has been in decline the last few yrs and one that has topped up and virtually added no young talent to the group due to pathetically poor list management
same old whinging about the list.

6 months ago we were told how great the list was and how RL was going to finish the job.

ok we missed some games due to injury but really?

as for topping up how about birss, gardiner, clarke and clint jones under the Ross Lyon plan?

who did we top up on? 1. ruckmen to meet a perceived shortfall, given they paucity of ruckmen in the draft (4 years to develop macintosh or was it 5?) we went for 1 kid with a huge reputation (brooks who is clearly dominating in the springvale with bests week in week out after recovering from a couple of serious injuries), and one established ruckman who was 23 or 24 at the time,

that ruckman walked our for a contract which we clearly were not going to match from richmond.

of the available ruckmen we chose another one who was relatively young while brooks and Kosi were developed, that one was a REQUIRED player by Lyon however walked our for 900k over 3 years, something st kilda clearly were not going to match.

who else? gram? an outstanding trade.

penny? a 10 year FB who was devasted by injury and depression, something we surely planned :roll:

Guerra? another player playing good footy who demanded a longer contract and more money which st kilda said no to, a wise decision, good player, but put his ego in front.

mcGough? 2o or 21 at the time, probably about the same place Birss is, concur we paid too much for him with 2 years more youth.

Watts? clearly a very good potential player, I think another one who was injured walking into Linton Street and given his height and weight another quality marking KPP which many fans were screaming for.

I think John Beveridge did a very good job recruiting these kids to st kilda, I think he may have got a few personalities wrong though (such as caydn beetham, guerra, hackland and knobel but they aren't the first players to walk out for better money and conditions, lockett, o'brien, Hall, Spider etc)

Jones, Im sure GT wanted him to suffer from depression, i think that was another pre-planned attack on a player :roll:

As for the list: we have montagna, harvey (should we have traded him for a pick?) gehrig (should we have delisted him? traded him?) thommo (dominating in the reserves should we have delisted him or traded him prior to this year?), reiwoldt, ball, maguire, goddard , kosi, hayes, hudghton, s. fisher, l. fisher, gilbert, x. clarke, r. clarke, ferguson, watts, brooks, NDS, fiora, gwilt, all under 25, in the 25 to 30 bracket we have baker, hudgeton, voss (I dont think anyone predicted a form loss in 07 given his outstanding service in prvious years and clearly dominating in the reservers), hayes, baker, milne, max, and in the mature category we have thompson, gehrig and harvey, all of whom are outstanding players.

the basic quible is about the trades we did, some 7 draft picks a couple of in the first and second rounds for players.

probably the only one who was clearly overrated was mcgough, given that I think we have traded and drafted pretty well, and came into 07 with a potent list, given salary cap restriction and draft choices.

Even RL must have thought we were a geniune chance in 07 because he brought in a player with at most 1 season in him clarke, a top up gop Birss, a player who has hardly played a senior game in 3 seasons gardiner and mature GOP from the WAFL (perhaps the 4th competition in footy behind the AFL, SANFL and VFL).

so your 20/20 hindsight is obviously NOT reflected by the board, the current coach and the administrators, NOR the posters on this board circa october to March 2006/2007

even during the preseason we were told that we were just experimenting and this list with this coach was good enough.

so thank you for your backward looking revisionist claptrap, and your credibility is bollux.

Richmond can beat a stronger a collingwood that we faced with their crappy list, melbourne can hammer a Western Bulldogs with their injury ravaged side, i think if you are looking at reasons for our lack of form, the list isn't the excuse.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:when are you pro and ant GT wankers ever get over it? :roll: :roll:

If you want to critisise Lyon, by all means. I mean I have after the past few shockers, and this crap flooding bulls###, but why do the same tawdry bunch of whining clowns have to bring up the name of the previous coach.

This thread is entitled Ross Lyon, not Grant Thomas.

FFS every time I hear this comparision with a previous it s.hites me to tears.

Going by your idiotic logic, we should actually bemoan the fact Yabby Jeans isn't the coach anymore. After all he has a better record than all other Saints coaches :roll:

Get over your Greant Thomas fixation or seek professional help.

You lot are as boring as our current gameplan :roll:
I haven't argued GT/RL for ages, I point to our list and argue that our list is a strong list.

Every time however I argue that our list is a good list, its perceived as another defence of GT, Im over Gt and haven't argued the GT line for several months.

I argue that we have a good list, with a substantial talent base that is underperforming for whatever reason, be it injury, skills, morale, coaching strategy, player ego, or whatever.

I dont know why wer are playing like we are, the coach has said several time he wants us to attack and take risks.

yet for at least a portion of every game this eason from 1/3 of a game to 3/4 of a game we do this chippilotto backwards rubbish leading to player frustration, errors and the like.

if its not coaching instructions then we have an issue with players not playing to a plan, and purposely disobeying instructions. If the players are ignoring coaching instructions so willfully, this is a serious discipline issue at st kilda and bringing in another coach will avail nothing.

SHUT UP KRIME!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I agree that we have a good list, but I am not happy with the team selections of recent times.
Thommo is one of our more creeative ball winners. He often steals it off the opposition, more frequently than any other Saint. He has been playing in the Scorps for too long. What has Birss and C.Jones got to offer that Thommo does not? Pace?? Well you have to be able to win the ball first.
Also Ferguson was in Scorps best players 5 matches in a row, with best in 2. Why has'nt he been given a game as a reward? Same with Brooks. It is not as though we have such great players holding them out, Attard and L. Fisher for Ferguson, Rix and M. Clarke for Brooks.
I believe our selectors are too conservative and frightened. We need new members on it for next season. I dont know who the selectors are at the moment but we are never going to improve under them.
And Howard has had 2 games, probably more than he has had with the Scorps seniors, while Armitage has had only about 3.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote: I think John Beveridge did a very good job recruiting these kids to st kilda, I think he may have got a few personalities wrong though (such as caydn beetham, guerra, hackland and knobel but they aren't the first players to walk out for better money and conditions, lockett, o'brien, Hall, Spider etc)
Dan, FACTS are Beveridge did not make the decision to trade or use selections on recycled players

Coaches and football departments make these calls

FWIW

Rendell chose Brooks, Ackland and Guerra with Thomas's support

Thomas chose McGough, this was 100% his call and his call alone

Don't pin this on Beveridge as it was not his decision

These are FACTS, whether you choose to take them on board is up to you

and BTW

Thomas inherited a very good developing list

Strong correlation between a clubs drafting and onfield performances three to four years later

We were primed to reach a peak in 2004 and 2005 with the list inherited in 2001

Lyon has inherited a team in decline through poor recruiting and drafting from 2003

8 selections used or traded away on recycled players including three first round selections

Lyon was appointed in the middle of trade week so it should be taken into consideration before bemoaning, our selections in last years draft

This years draft will be pivotal and Lyon has now had 12 months to prepare

We need quite a few quality young kids coming through, which is what currently we do not have

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

must we go round in f**king circles all the time :roll:

when will you give this crap up guys? the past is done with, cannot be changed. GT=past, his decisions etc. cannot be changed and as long as you f**kwits keep hammering home the same bullshyte facts, we cannot move on.

B4E, how many times have you told us that GT used 8 draft picks on recycled players? i think its getting a little tired.

As for some others who still want to harp on GT's departure, i say support the club (which is RL), or support another club because its time to let the GT crap go once and for all, it has been almost 12 months since he was "boned".

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

1. even if we take your 'facts' at face value, which Im disinclined to do, given the quality of your 'facts' in the past, we are still playing way way below our potential.

Even if we take your arguement that we are a list in the decline, which I dont believe, our list given the quality we have under 25 and in teh 25 to 30 bracket, we are still playing rubbish football for 3/4 of a game.

we blow away collingwood in 1/4 of footy and then revert to chippilotto.

now the coach has said against footscray that he instructed the players to do otherwise.

so we either have a coach who is lying or a team with ridiculously bad team discipline to have done this game after game after game after game.

and as others have said, the game against sydney was depressing, sure we missed goals but really we had such ball domination and for 2/3 of the game and played rubbish with it.

given the quality we have and what we have seen us do when we attack its clear that the talent is there, but for some reason we are not accessing it.

hawthorn have managed to turn their form around, geelong is funamentally the same list as last year and yet they are playing winning football. WCE have turned their midseason slump around.

as for the 'quality' of the WCE, they have invested heavily in a midfield and lack the quality of KPP that we have, we are constantly told how 'awesome' the WCE recruiting and drafting has been, and yet minus 3 of their stars their second string players have fallen down.

as for sydney, we had their measure for more than 1/2 the game, but we were beaten. Its not from lack of quality of players or a playing list.

I know you hate GT and blame him for everything under the sun be FFS be honest about the rubbish we as fans are being presented on the field.

SHUT UP KRIME!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Dan Warna wrote: I think John Beveridge did a very good job recruiting these kids to st kilda, I think he may have got a few personalities wrong though (such as caydn beetham, guerra, hackland and knobel but they aren't the first players to walk out for better money and conditions, lockett, o'brien, Hall, Spider etc)
Dan, FACTS are Beveridge did not make the decision to trade or use selections on recycled players

Coaches and football departments make these calls

FWIW

Rendell chose Brooks, Ackland and Guerra with Thomas's support

Thomas chose McGough, this was 100% his call and his call alone

Don't pin this on Beveridge as it was not his decision

These are FACTS, whether you choose to take them on board is up to you

and BTW

Thomas inherited a very good developing list

Strong correlation between a clubs drafting and onfield performances three to four years later

We were primed to reach a peak in 2004 and 2005 with the list inherited in 2001

Lyon has inherited a team in decline through poor recruiting and drafting from 2003

8 selections used or traded away on recycled players including three first round selections

Lyon was appointed in the middle of trade week so it should be taken into consideration before bemoaning, our selections in last years draft

This years draft will be pivotal and Lyon has now had 12 months to prepare

We need quite a few quality young kids coming through, which is what currently we do not have
B4E, you have made these points literally hundreds of times. Most people have stopped challening you because - let's face it - we are all practically catatonic with boredom. However, FWIW, let me give you some of your own medicine.

FACT: you do not personally have a clue whether or not GT had anything to do with the decisions to recruit the players you endlessly criticise. You are just blustering on this point. Or else produce some evidence other than your own special interpretation of what you and everyone else reads in the newspapers.

FACT: The decision to recruit Guerra in 50 BC or whenever it was has nothing to do with where our playing list is currently at. Anyway, unlike our players, Guerra currently looks set to play in the finals this season .

FACT: There was nothing wrong with the decisions to recruit Brooks, Gram, Ackland, Guerra, McGough, etc. when they were made. They were all players who looked like they had a lot of upside to them: as Gram and (face it) Guerra and Ackland have turned out to have. I don't recall you or anyone else being particularly critical of these decisions at the time.

FACT: even the much-maligned Fergus Watts had a blinder for the Scorps on the weekend. And Brooks is going ok.

FACT: The overwhelming majority of players who were drafted with the picks we traded away or subsequent picks have not turned out to be anything special.

FACT: We did not have any priority picks or top 5 draft picks in the 2003, 2004, 2005 or 2006 drafts. With a few exceptions, the only players in those drafts who have shown anything remotely like the ability of Kosi, Dal, Riewoldt, Bally, Lenny, BJ, etc. were - guess what - picked up by the Richmonds, Carltons, Essendons, Collingwoods, etc. who had the priority and top 5 picks.

Anyway, I should be grateful for the fact that you didn't mention the bloody rookies again. Actually, I notice that we haven't heard a peep about rookies from any of the usual suspects in the past 2 weeks. I would imagine that it was purely a coincidence that Jones and Attard have both had two shockers during that period.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:B4E, how many times have you told us that GT used 8 draft picks on recycled players? i think its getting a little tired.
Dan Warna wrote:the basic quible is about the trades we did, some 7 draft picks a couple of in the first and second rounds for players.
Obviously dan doesn't pay attention, you'd have thought by now he'd at least be able to get this bit right

EIGHT draft picks used on recycled players since 2002 under Thomas including THREE FIRST ROUND, THREE SECOND ROUND and TWO THIRD ROUND

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:B4E, how many times have you told us that GT used 8 draft picks on recycled players? i think its getting a little tired.
Dan Warna wrote:the basic quible is about the trades we did, some 7 draft picks a couple of in the first and second rounds for players.
Obviously dan doesn't pay attention, you'd have thought by now he'd at least be able to get this bit right

EIGHT draft picks used on recycled players since 2002 under Thomas including THREE FIRST ROUND, THREE SECOND ROUND and TWO THIRD ROUND
yes you would think he would know by now, but can you remind us just once more barks :wink:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: FACT: you do not personally have a clue whether or not GT had anything to do with the decisions to recruit the players you endlessly criticise. You are just blustering on this point.
FACT: you're wrong on your assumption, that I don't know

I cannot tell you how I do know

but what I wrote is 100% true

meher baba wrote: Anyway, I should be grateful for the fact that you didn't mention the bloody rookies again. Actually, I notice that we haven't heard a peep about rookies from any of the usual suspects in the past 2 weeks. I would imagine that it was purely a coincidence that Jones and Attard have both had two shockers during that period.

oh yeah, thanks for reminding me

West Coast currently have EIGHT ROOKIES on their list including FIVE who played in last years premiership, including the ALL AUSTRALIAN RUCKMAN Dean Cox and the NORM SMITH MEDALLIST Andrew Embley

Up until this year St.Kilda had one in FIVE YEARS, the special GT "PROJECT PLAYER" Allan Murray, now delisted

and some of you still think we can do virtually nothing with our recruiting and it won't catch up to you

You all look around wondering about why this, why that, looking for reasons, answers, anything

The answer is RECRUITING, the lifeblood of any club

We've been abysmal in this area for five years and it is catching up with us

Lists need to be constantly developed

It matters not whether Ross Lyon, Grant Thomas, Leigh Matthews, Norm Smith, Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Aristotle, Forrest Gump, Gomer Pyle, Mr Bean, Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, The Two Ronnies, The Three Stooges or Monty Python's Flying Circus are coaching us

You stuff up your recruiting and it will eventually catch up with you, as it has us

The early signs of this were evident last year, for anyone who was paying attention

JeffDunne

So I presume we can expect to see you Andrew at the next AGM demanding to know why we aren't spending more on recruiting?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to see RL getting bagged by some - reminds me of Clarkson at Hawthorn, everyone wanted to give him the boot earlier on, but he is now is getting results by sticking to his game plan and recruiting well. Give RL a chance as he needs the year for everyone to get the cursed GT hangover out of the way -next year will be a good one I reckon.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:West Coast currently have EIGHT ROOKIES on their list including FIVE who played in last years premiership, including the ALL AUSTRALIAN RUCKMAN Dean Cox and the NORM SMITH MEDALLIST Andrew Embley
Yes, and they have had the opportunity (entirely unfairly IMO) to develop their rookies in the WAFL: which is a vastly superior competition to the VFL reserves.

The opportunities that the SA and WA clubs (and, to a lesser extent, Sydney and Brisbane) have to develop their rookies are on a different planet to the opportunities for Victorian clubs. It is a completely unfair comparison.

Look at the other successful Vic clubs in recent seasons: Geelong, Hawthorn, the Kangaroos, Collingwood, the Bulldogs. I'm not sure exactly how many rookies they have elevated between them in the past four seasons, but I would be surprised if it was as many as the Eagles alone.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
JeffDunne

Can I ask, is it purely coincidental that we have a full compliment of rookies for the first time in the same year the AFL start funding rookie lists?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I've got one Ross Lyon related point to make following the Swans game. The man is clearly still learning the strengths and weaknesses of the Saints list.

Case-in-point: Xavier Clark - in the opening half of the game, X could have had four goals. He was gaining possession, getting into dangerous spots, it was kicking that let him (like so many other guys) down - he kicks straight, he'd have been BOG first half.

Then X moves back into defense. If you haven't watched X play there, it seems like a great spot for him. Tenacious tackler, great wheels, creative... trouble is, he's NOT an accurate kick, and for every time he runs himself out of trouble, there's another where he runs into trouble. As good as his first half could have been, his 2nd half was bad.

The experiments continue - we've been trying to play through e.g. Gram rather than Fisher the last couple of weeks. We haven't been manning up at centre bounces (which irritates me), and while our contest focus could have payed dividends... but our disposal let us down time and again. Our bad kicking is currently worth about 3 goals a game minimum.

While on Ross Lyon, the lack off pressure on the loose man is incredibly frustrating. It appeared to work for the 1st quarter, but IMO, one of the causes of the fadeout is that even if teams aren't ready for this pregame, they adapt by the end of game to finding the loose back.

Our record since the break may look good, but we're most certainly not in form since the 4th Q against Collingwood.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Too much abuse and going around in circles.

Last warning or the thread is locked.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Lock it OWTS - it is as boring and repetitive as our current gameplan.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Lock it OWTS - it is as boring and repetitive as our current gameplan.

Don't like tempo posting? :D

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Lock it OWTS - it is as boring and repetitive as our current gameplan.

in an otherwise blando day, that brought a smile :thumbsup

SHUT UP KRIME!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
cowboy18 wrote:

in an otherwise blando day, that brought a smile :thumbsup
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD