Watt quits AFL job

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

Watt quits AFL job

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html
THE AFL'S general manager of corporate development and industry relations, Jim Watt, has resigned after less than 12 months in the job.

The former St Kilda chief executive and part-time Carlton administrator will finish at the league in late September.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou advised clubs of the development yesterday.

It is believed to be an amicable parting, with Watts deciding he no longer wants to work full-time.

Demetriou's statement says: "Unfortunately, I wish to advise that Jim Watts has decided not to continue in his current role beyond the end of the 2007 season."

Watts plans to take on new board appointments and spend more time with his family.

The AFL will absorb the role, with a reallocation of responsibilities.

Gillon McLachlan will be responsible for government relations, while Andrew Catterall will have an expanded industry relations role, working closely with clubs and states.

In a tribute to Watts, Demetriou said: "Jim has been a valuable member of our executive team and provided valuable insights and opinions when debating AFL issues and how they relate to clubs."

Anyone know anything about this?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he is going to run for the Saints Board? :)

JeffDunne

We can only hope.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:We can only hope.
Not if you have any concerns with "little jim" Archie Fraser.
He is Jim's boy and will not be going anywhere if Jim is a St Kilda Board member.

Also to link Jim leaving the Full time AFL position and the St kilda board is a long long bow IMO.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:We can only hope.
Not if you have any concerns with "little jim" Archie Fraser.
He is Jim's boy and will not be going anywhere if Jim is a St Kilda Board member.

Also to link Jim leaving the Full time AFL position and the St kilda board is a long long bow IMO.
But it's great to atart another 'conspiracy theory'!

Maybe, RB is manipulating all of this to 'shore up' his own position in the mmoted Board challenge? What if he is offering Watts a vice-presiddency with the understanding he will do a Hawke/Keating handover down the track?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Maybe, RB is manipulating all of this to 'shore up' his own position in the mmoted Board challenge? What if he is offering Watts a vice-presiddency with the understanding he will do a Hawke/Keating handover down the track?
MM, why would he want a VP or Presidency?
(Not saying he wouldn't but not sure why that is a carrot)

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
yipper
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Maybe because he could probably pick his own hours - work as long as he wants or as little!! Given the reasons he gave for stepping down from the AFL job.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Maybe because he could probably pick his own hours - work as long as he wants or as little!! Given the reasons he gave for stepping down from the AFL job.
yipper, board member/ President in an AFL club is not a job (paid position)!

yipper
SS Life Member

True. I imagine Watts is a wealthy man - he could work p/time from home (consultancy??) and be on the Saints board without impacting on family life so much.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

And he could instruct teh Coach to pick his son! :)

JeffDunne

Joffa Burns wrote:Also to link Jim leaving the Full time AFL position and the St kilda board is a long long bow IMO.
It would be if I was doing that. :?

Simply asking the question JB if onyone knows his plans. I'd be more than happy to see him back at St Kilda.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Hey JD and JB, Do you reckon we've done enough to start this rumour about Watts and the Saints? :)