Who are we prepared to trade?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

luckysaint
Club Player

Who are we prepared to trade?

To get something good you need to be able to trade something good.

Don't scream blue murder. These are just some possibilities I'm throwing around. Obviously i don't mean trade them all at once either :P

These are players i can see who would have good value on the market:

Steven Baker: Is good run-with tagger but is soon to be 28. He is also marked by his tribunal record. Would still pull in something decent.

Jason Blake: Might attract some interest, like he did a couple of years ago with the tigers. Will be 27.

Leigh Fisher: Is an effective defender, but is slow, might not suit the game plan going forward.

Sam Fisher: Good defender, but perhaps more suited as a flanker, something we can spare. Would attract a reasonable price.

Matt Maguire: Slowish small CHB, has alot of credits in the bank though, and would be worth a bit.

Stephen Milne: Will be 28 next season, maybe his best is past him?

Cirra
Club Player

Re: Who are we prepared to trade?

luckysaint wrote:To get something good you need to be able to trade something good.

Don't scream blue murder. These are just some possibilities I'm throwing around. Obviously i don't mean trade them all at once either :P

These are players i can see who would have good value on the market:

Steven Baker: Is good run-with tagger but is soon to be 28. He is also marked by his tribunal record. Would still pull in something decent.

Jason Blake: Might attract some interest, like he did a couple of years ago with the tigers. Will be 27.

Leigh Fisher: Is an effective defender, but is slow, might not suit the game plan going forward.

Sam Fisher: Good defender, but perhaps more suited as a flanker, something we can spare. Would attract a reasonable price.

Matt Maguire: Slowish small CHB, has alot of credits in the bank though, and would be worth a bit.

Stephen Milne: Will be 28 next season, maybe his best is past him?
Wow, that's gutsy.
You would seriously consider trading Sam Fisher, Goose, Bakes??
C'mon. They are all important best 22 players and there is no way we should trade them.
Plus, Leigh has added another demension (tagger) to his game. We don't have another small forward like Milny and Blake is not a bad GOP.

We are better off looking at trading Gwilt, Watts, Brooks etc. Players that have done nothing so far. That is ofcourse Ross Lyon isn't ging to play them next year.

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

Maguire just needs a pre season. They all need decent solid pre seasons, to get the fitness base at a decent level.

I wouldn't trade any of these players. All will get a game for us next year.

Too lazy to update my username
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think we have to focus more on drafting good young talent than trading for players

now-a-days theres just not enough decent talent out there to trade for, there'd only be about half-a-dozen traded players who actually went alright this year

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Obviously you trade quality for quality, we have to look at players who can be replaced with as good as, or better replacements.

Milne
L. Fisher
R. Clarke
Ferguson
Watts
Brooks
S. Fisher

Edit: Removed S. Fisher.
Last edited by Otiman on Sun 02 Sep 2007 10:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

woooosaints
Club Player

we should trade kosi we could get so much for him just based on potential 1st round pick + a good player because some sides are needing a ruckman + KPP so badly

luckysaint
Club Player

Re: Who are we prepared to trade?

Cirra wrote:Wow, that's gutsy.
You would seriously consider trading Sam Fisher, Goose, Bakes??
C'mon. They are all important best 22 players and there is no way we should trade them.
Plus, Leigh has added another demension (tagger) to his game. We don't have another small forward like Milny and Blake is not a bad GOP.

We are better off looking at trading Gwilt, Watts, Brooks etc. Players that have done nothing so far. That is ofcourse Ross Lyon isn't ging to play them next year.
If you want to trade for a decent player you will need to trade something of equal value. You will not get anything for Gwilt, Watts or Brooks.
We've done alright without Goose this year, and he is well rated in the media. However it is important to remember how much an injury like he sustained last year can affect a player, especially his speed and strength.
Bakes is a great team guy, but i don't think we need him to a massive extent.
Milne is on the decline imo and Blake will be a 27yo GOP, who is not an integral player.

luckysaint
Club Player

woooosaints wrote:we should trade kosi we could get so much for him just based on potential 1st round pick + a good player because some sides are needing a ruckman + KPP so badly
Yeh and why don't we trade Harves for a 5th rounder while we are at it? :roll:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:we should trade kosi we could get so much for him just based on potential 1st round pick + a good player because some sides are needing a ruckman + KPP so badly
don't we need a ruckman + KPP player badly :shock:

why would we trade him for a player to fill his role who might end up being a dud, like Brooks or Watts

stupidity

SaintWodonga
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:i think we have to focus more on drafting good young talent than trading for players
Dud 100% agree!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
luckysaint
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:i think we have to focus more on drafting good young talent than trading for players
I believe in that too, but to get a higher draft pick you still need to trade quality

dascman
Club Player

Fair dinkum, this is what I mean when I talk about the dwindling quality of posts on this forum.

Anyone who thinks we should actively try to shop Maguire around needs to have their head screwed back on. YOU DON'T GO TRADING QUALITY KEY POSITION PLAYERS! He did NOT have a pre-season this year, he came back in round 1, something he should not have done, and subsequently missed the next 10 games, which, lo and behold, we came out of with more losses than wins. He is a gun centre half back who provides priceless drive and an honest contest every single week. People must have amazingly short memories, do we forget how in 2004-5 we were all crying out for his AA selection? He legitimately commands the back line when he's playing well, and this season he WILL HAVE A FULL pre-season, something he did not have last season, and we saw the result: an underdone footballer.

With a full pre-season, he will recapture top form.

And on Baker, yes, he's going to miss until round 6 next year, but again, untradable. There are not many stoppers in the league better than him. I would struggle to name 5 (Ling, Kirk are obvious, probably Sewell...then who?)

People need to calm down, yes, we have missed the 8, but not all is lost.

woooosaints
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:

why would we trade him for a player to fill his role who might end up being a dud, like Brooks or Watts

stupidity
cause hes a injury proned player dont u think we have enough of those at st kilda

dascman
Club Player

woooosaints wrote:
The_Dud wrote:

stupidity
cause hes a injury proned player dont u think we have enough of those at st kilda
So just when we get him right (he only missed 3 games this year), after years of waiting for him to finally get right, we should trade him. Right, ok. I'm glad you're not the one making the decisions.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

woooosaints wrote:
The_Dud wrote:

stupidity
Lets offer a package deal of Bally, Kosi, Max, Gardi, Sammy since we are trading players who are injury prone! Get rid of all those type of players not just kosi :roll:

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:
The_Dud wrote:

stupidity
injury proned?

yes, he has that genetic weakness of his skull cracking when something cannons into it

a real bad trait

:roll:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

1. we've been crying out for KPP backmen....

hello? Goose anyone?!

Our defence has been a top defence coming into 07, based around max, goose, v2, aussie jones, and penny, with fisher standing up in 06, along with gram and goddard.

in fact many consider fisher our premier defender...

why don't we trade goose for a KPP backman?!

as for the others listed, you get what you trade...a GOP for GOP, or GOP for a round 2 or 3 draft pick.

also there is something called salary cap and something called team lists...no one is going to take 3 or 4 players for a round 1 or 2 draft pick, because it fills their frikken lists up.

also what would we get? an untried round 2 or 3 player who will take 2 or 3 years to develop maybe 4 years to develop, and every month of that development period pharktards will be demanding we trade them for a round 3 draft pick

because of salary cap you will have 3 to 5 marquee players, 6 to 10 would be a grade players, 10 to 20 would be a Mix of top GOPs and b grade players and the rest GOPS, back ups, developmental and project players.

you are not going to field a team of 22 all australians with 10 or so AA's in the back ground.

all season we were missing max, maguire, and various other times, l. fisher, goddard etc, and idiots were saying where are the guys as good to step and fill the roll?

sorry but maguire is a damn good CHB probably when fit top 3 CHBs in the league, max has been our best defender for a decade and fisher is an outstanding KPP posibly in contention of AA nomination...

guys like htat kicking around in the reserves DONT exist...in any club.

when WCE were missing cousins, judd, kerr and embley, their b team midfield wasn't as good....they were adequate, but not as good...never will be.

gwilt stood up and did ok, gram held his own playing KPP and fisher certainly stood up as captain of the defence.

not bad missing 3 of your best defenders...

and now...some are talking about trading our CHB... :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Steven Baker: NO- Would ruin the fabric of the club.

Jason Blake: YES- But may actually have some trade value this year after a reasonable year.

Leigh Fisher: YES- Only due to lack of pace & inconsistent disposal.

Sam Fisher: NO- Absolute GUN. In our top 5 most important players now & with Max slowing down, he is critical.

Matt Maguire: NO- As posted, a full pre season will see the old Goose return. Vital to hold down CHB or maybe even go forward (will need to improve his goalkicking!)

Stephen Milne: YES- A better team player but still expendable.

The others mentioned don't have any trade value, like Schwarze last year, no takers, delisted, not drafted.

luckysaint
Club Player

dascman wrote: Anyone who thinks we should actively try to shop Maguire around needs to have their head screwed back on. YOU DON'T GO TRADING QUALITY KEY POSITION PLAYERS! He did NOT have a pre-season this year, he came back in round 1, something he should not have done, and subsequently missed the next 10 games, which, lo and behold, we came out of with more losses than wins. He is a gun centre half back who provides priceless drive and an honest contest every single week. People must have amazingly short memories, do we forget how in 2004-5 we were all crying out for his AA selection? He legitimately commands the back line when he's playing well, and this season he WILL HAVE A FULL pre-season, something he did not have last season, and we saw the result: an underdone footballer.

With a full pre-season, he will recapture top form.
You have missed the point of my post. He is a good player, but is not deserving of a guaranteed spot on the list. He does not have a fast covering speed and never has, even before his injury. I am appreciative of the fact that he did not have a full pre-season, but that does not change my judgment that he is not a pivotal player.
dascman wrote:And on Baker, yes, he's going to miss until round 6 next year, but again, untradable. There are not many stoppers in the league better than him. I would struggle to name 5 (Ling, Kirk are obvious, probably Sewell...then who?)
People need to calm down, yes, we have missed the 8, but not all is lost.
I would be reluctant to trade him, but if something decent was on the table i would take it. How about i add three more taggers off the top of my head for you; Stenglein, Brady Rawlings, Kane Johnson. All good taggers. Alot of teams also get their kids to do cameo tagging jobs on players.

I am not saying all is lost, but that if we want to trade for quality we need to be prepared to trade quality, in a strategic manner.

SirDog
Club Player

I feel that Kosi has alot to give to the Saints. I know he has been injury nightmare but he is only 25 yo and he can be slotted anywhere when required. The club has invested alot of patience to rehabilitate his injuries and keep him on the list. He is starting to string some games together and just needs a good pre-season to get out there in 2008. He would bring a good trade but it may be a trade which might bite us later.

St.Kilda fan - through and through.
luckysaint
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:you are not going to field a team of 22 all australians with 10 or so AA's in the back ground.
Rly? i've never seen a team go backwards while striving for it.

Maguire is a one dimensional player, and their aren't many of those hanging around these days.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

luckysaint wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:you are not going to field a team of 22 all australians with 10 or so AA's in the back ground.
Rly? i've never seen a team go backwards while striving for it.

Maguire is a one dimensional player, and their aren't many of those hanging around these days.
if by one dimensional you mean he's 5 weeks back from a year long injury, , can play power defence, can kick long, has pace in straight lines, can monster the biggest defenders, and has an enormous ticker, courage and is a very good mark of the ball, as well as a disciplined punch, can smash packs and fill in the ruck in the HB line then your right.

and what would you trade him for? A CHB?

DER.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

While it is good to dream about the sweetest trade deal of all time, reality says it ain't gunna hapen.

The number of trades has been diminishing so much over the past few years the AFL is looking at ways of stimulating the trade period in 2008. 2007 will be near enough to the same as the past few years !!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We don't have enough players of any particular type to trade.

Do we have an excess of tall players who can play at this level - No

Do we have exess midfielders who can play at this level? - No

Do we have excess ruckmen who can play at this level? No

Do we have excess marking, medium sized forward at this level? NO

We have no-one of tradeable value that isn't already required to play with us next year. We have either quality or crap, and nothing in-between. If we trade for any players, we will need to trade draft picks to get them, and in a poor quality draft, that's a tough assignment.

We will need to be patient and go forward in small increments over the next three years. With our position on the ladder and our list, I can't see a repeat of the golden year of 2001.

We can manage one or two more years with the current crop of key positin players, but we need three more midfielders and we need them very soon.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Goose will be our CHB in 2008....

Another 6 months will see his leg much better and we will see the Goose that we know that hye can be....which is a very cpable and attacking CHB.

Our only real concern down back is FB...IF Max continues to have soft tissue problems.

Sam and Goose do not have the pace to play FB....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....