Age limits for men wearing onfield gear?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Age limits for men wearing onfield gear?

Dear forum fashion and style advisors

My good parents were kind enough to go to the sale the club had a while back. They purchased a couple of things for me for my recent 42nd birthday.

I'm now in possession of our acid-wash clash jumper in a very snug XL and what I believe may be a mint condition "run-on" top bearing the name "Gardiner 15"*.

My questions:

1. Is there an age where the older gentleman should stop wearing these sorts of things? Do we look silly in public?

2. Are these rules AFL specific or do they apply to things like soccer strips , NFL shirts (esp NO Saints...), Rugby tops etc.

Thanks in advance for your style tips.

* I did wear this to the shop on Sunday and had a couple of beagles bearing very suspicious looks chase me down the street.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

LOL....Cos its true.....

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

This is an interesting question. I'm 24 and already lean towards not wearing the jumper anymore because I think I'm too old to pull it off.

Also because half the time I want to go out after a game and have found not many decent nightclubs have dress codes allowing for football jumpers.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
busso mick
Club Player

Happy birthday Cowboy, I have 2 daughters 14 and 17 who tell me that I have no taste when it comes to clothes, so my advice is ignore everyone else and wear what you like, when you like, particularly the Saints clobber.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with a snug XL. I tried to order an XL rugby top from the sale but after procrastinating it had gone, so my 14 year old let me know in no uncertain terms that if I was thinner I could have got one as there were smaller sizes available. My comeback was a Kel Knight power walk impersonation at the beach when we were out walking the pooch. :lol: Her face went :oops:

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

B W and R all over wrote: half the time I want to go out after a game and have found not many decent nightclubs have dress codes allowing for football jumpers.
This fact detemines what I wear to the footy, every other week I dress up like an idoit, saints footy shorts, guernsey, scarf, towel, beanie and shoes :). I get a lot of looks :twisted: .

I dont think there is or should be a time when you shouldnt feel that you can wear your saints gear in public.

Carpe Diem
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Speaking in strictly a fashion sense, I think it's acceptable to wear a guernsey to the footy only if you're a teenager or one of those older "yay, yay, goal, goal!" fanboy types who bring radios to the footy and have about a thousand buttons on their scarf - that's ok too. Otherwise I find that there's something wrong about seeing a grown man wearing a guernsey.

Guernseys are for playing in, and that's it imo.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I reckon about 32, after then it's time to move on to the polo shirt with the scarf...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I reckon about 32, after then it's time to move on to the polo shirt with the scarf...
Whew..I pass your fashion test!!!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Beej
Saintsational Legend

If you're going to wear a scarf you need to be wearing long sleeves imo.

A scarf is the only St Kilda related item of clothing I'll wear, if that. If you like to go out for a few drinks afterwards then wearing a guernsey means, unless you've got a jacket to cover it up, there's a chance you're going to end up at that seedy backpackers joint on the corner of Flinders Lane and Elizabeth, or much worse, Hosies. :D

*fashion consultant to the stars*

LennyBoy
Club Player

Jerseys are fine for match days, but I have to agree with OLB and say people that you see going out afterwards wearing them isn't the best look.

Rumour has it travisty = new saints sponsor. :shock: All your styling issues will now be solved cowboy. :lol:

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Speaking in strictly a fashion sense, I think it's acceptable to wear a guernsey to the footy only if you're a teenager or one of those older "yay, yay, goal, goal!" fanboy types who bring radios to the footy and have about a thousand buttons on their scarf - that's ok too. Otherwise I find that there's something wrong about seeing a grown man wearing a guernsey.

Guernseys are for playing in, and that's it imo.
...again...although it is rare these days.... :wink: :lol:...i must agree with you......i reckon you can wear just about anything to the footy ...except the jumper...once you reach maturity......sad , but true....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Age limits for men wearing onfield gear?

cowboy18 wrote:1. Is there an age where the older gentleman should stop wearing these sorts of things? Do we look silly in public?
Yes there is!

The only middle aged man I wish to see wearing a saints footy jumper to matches is Robert Harvey.

You should stop wearing a jumper to the games as soon as you are old enough but not good enough to be drafted.

For those who think middle aged men in footy jumpers is acceptable..your Honour exhibit one Joffa Corfe of the Collingwood Cheer Squad

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
cowboy18 wrote:1. Is there an age where the older gentleman should stop wearing these sorts of things? Do we look silly in public?
Yes there is!

The only middle aged man I wish to see wearing a saints footy jumper to matches is Robert Harvey.

You should stop wearing a jumper to the games as soon as you are old enough but not good enough to be drafted.

For those who think middle aged men in footy jumpers is acceptable..your Honour exhibit one Joffa Corfe of the Collingwood Cheer Squad
You Honour, The defence rests its case !!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

A St Kilda jacket and a Saints baseball cap is my limit,i also wear a Scorpions cap with my Saints jacket when i go to Casey Fields.....

:lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I'm still only 26, but I'll wear my jumper for as long as they make them.

I've stopped wearing the socks, though.

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

OLB wrote:If you're going to wear a scarf you need to be wearing long sleeves imo.
Not if you're a white metrosexual Nedlands pretty boy studying at the University of Western Australia.

For such individuals, it's entirely appropriate to wear a muscle top and a cashmere scarf in the autumn months, like so:

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:I'm still only 26, but I'll wear my jumper for as long as they make them.

I've stopped wearing the socks, though.
That's a start atleast :wink:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

That confirms my thoughts on guernseys for old folk - I'm very much a scarf and plain jacket type at games. I save the special saints polyester polo shirts for weekends around the soccer games. I fear my acid was white guernsey may lament for a little while.

BUT...
cowboy18 wrote: 2. Are these rules AFL specific or do they apply to things like soccer strips , NFL shirts (esp NO Saints...), Rugby tops etc.

These seem to be out in force amongst many. Should the old folk wear these?

StSteven
Club Player

When we win the Premiership you can wear what you like for as long as you damn well want to! 'Til then 15yrs is upper limit for the jumper, match day or any day!

Riewoldting
SS Life Member

Well it's a very bogan look at any age, but at least the under-30s have the folly of youth on their side.

Wear such garments over the age of 30 and you look like you should be on Today Tonight pleading the case for your 16-year-old daughter to take regular smokos in order to pass Year 10.

"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Beej
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote: 2. Are these rules AFL specific or do they apply to things like soccer strips , NFL shirts (esp NO Saints...), Rugby tops etc.

These seem to be out in force amongst many. Should the old folk wear these?
It's universal imo.

Soccer kits, basketball jerseys, rugby and footy guernseys are only to be worn either lazing about at home or playing sport.

In England people who turn up to a game with just their scarf are called "scarfers" and are not thought of very highly by the hardcore/hooligan element. :lol:
Last edited by Beej on Tue 06 Nov 2007 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldting wrote:Well it's a very bogan look at any age, but at least the under-30s have the folly of youth on their side.

Wear such garments over the age of 30 and you look like you should be on Today Tonight pleading the case for your 16-year-old daughter to take regular smokos in order to pass Year 10.
:lol: :lol:

F_Q_F
Club Player

Well i'm 19 and I wear my Saints guernsey to games, as well as anywhere else, just because it doesn't need ironing haha.

Oh and Riewoldting you forgot to add if your an arts student at UWA its ok to wear a scarf whenever you want. Also you can choose when to shower, if at all, too :P .

But Cowboy to answer the question about the other sports it doesnt really apply. I have seen 70 year olds wearing soccer guernseys at the soccer. But hey it doesnt seem odd to me seeing people at the footy wearing their teams jumper, just whatever you feel comfortable in.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

It's kinda like wearing a full tracksuit with matching top and bottom. Fine if you're a player and I'm sure it was cool in the 80s but it's over. That counts for both young and old.

Just let go.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

How do you tell whos the bride when two Collingwood supporters marry??

Shes the one wearing the CLEAN guernsey ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor