Who is the greatest St Kilda player ever?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tony Lockett
15%
Trevor Barker
9%
Robert Harvey
62%
Darrel Baldock
5%
Ian Stewart
8%
Carl Ditterich
No votes
Bill Mohr
No votes
Neil Roberts
No votes
Ross Smith
No votes
Nathan Burke
No votes
Other (please indicate below)
2%

Total votes: 65

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Off season thread #4

Which St Kilda player is the greatest ever?

Note - there will be many players people want to select for this poll. I have tried to nominate those I believe are most likely to be selected.

If I have missed any, let me know in the thread below.

(Thanks to SaintBot for the idea)
Last edited by Oh When the Saints on Mon 12 Nov 2007 10:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
midas_touch
Club Player

Cant go past Sir Harves

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Harvey, simply the best!!
That's quite a line up though, not many other teams would have legends of such quality.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I chose Harvey.

In my opinion, Lockett and Stewart were better footballers, but from a St. Kilda perspective, I take being a clubman into account.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Harvey, simply the best!!
That's quite a line up though, not many other teams would have legends of such quality.
Carlton would be up there.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Harvey, Lockett, Stewart and Baldock. :)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:

...up their what.........??? :roll: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rexy
SS Life Member

I voted for Harvey but found it hard not to vote for Barker even though I know in My head he is not the best player on the list.

Maybe this year?
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:I voted for Harvey but found it hard not to vote for Barker even though I know in My head he is not the best player on the list.
Yeah that would be a hard one, it wasn't the same for me because I never actually got to see him play but despite that I still love the bloke as much as almost any of those who I have seen.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
jill
Club Player

My hero was Darrell Baldock - Lockett was the best - BUT the greatest EVER was TREVOR BARKER. He alone brought people through the turnstiles when the club was on it's knees ,like Harve's the epitomy of loyalty, and sacrificed financial gain for the sake of the club. If he had been at a successful club would have won a brownlow - was sacrificed as a player to plug holes wherever /whenever needed. Feel so privileged to have watched virtually all his games. Exciting, courageous,athletic and a natural talent, Trevor was the most underated CHAMPION in the League .
1. BARKER
2.HARVEY
3.Baldock
4.Morrow - for years the heart and soul of St.Kilda
5.Lockett
6.Stewart
7.Winmar
8.Ditterich
9.N Roberts
10. Welles Eicke - not that I ever saw him play but my Pop used to tell me he was the Greatest - Pop never saw our only flag but we're now into our 4th generation of Saints supporters - if there is an after life, he's a lot to answer for!!! Will forgive him if /when we win another flag.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Greatest & Best can be two very different things;

Greatest = Harvey, just ahead of Barker

Best = Lockett, by a long way

!!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Otiman wrote:

Yeah, it's fashionable to hate Carlton lately, sorry for praising them :)

In recent times, guys like Greg Williams and SOS would be in the saints Top 5 of all time if they played for us.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
stinger wrote:
Otiman wrote:

Yeah, it's fashionable to hate Carlton lately, sorry for praising them :)

In recent times, guys like Greg Williams and SOS would be in the saints Top 5 of all time if they played for us.
But those two were also made to look a lot better by the class that they were surrounded by.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote: But those two were also made to look a lot better by the class that they were surrounded by.
SOS not so much, Spud Frawley looked better than he should have, because the rest of the team sucked so badly ;)

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

barker

but it was hard between harvey and barker

now i think about it i dont know why i picked barker, because ive never seen him play. only talked to his mum and dad a few times and thats it, but every1 says he was a legend, so il go with him!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
jill
Club Player

:cry: Can non-saints stay OFF this thread UNLESS they as outsiders have a GENUINE contribution to make!
Personally I don't know where you're coming from - why bother acknowledging you're concerned/interested in the Saints?
Stick to your own :!:

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Actually jill, Otiman is a long-time Saints fan.

I don't know why he wanted to mention Carlton in this thread though. Sacriligeous that such a name should grace the same page as Trevor Barker and Robert Harvey!

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
robbie muir
Club Player

Lockett would probably be the best player to have ever played for the Saints. Anyone who would change ends after every quarter to follow him would testify to this.

Although i never saw Stewart or Baldock play live (except on video) the greatest Saint ever in the last 35 years would be Barker by a short half head from Harves.

He played 231 games for the club and not one final. When champions like Alves, Moore , Templeton etc changed clubs for the chance to play in a flag he stayed put after huge offers from Carlton and Collingwood where Tom Hafey was coach(Barks was going out with Hafey's daughter at the time). He was paid 7.5 cents in the dollar some years and gave the club back the car he won in the B & F so the club could raise money.

If you can try and see the following two marks he took.
1. Against South at lakeside oval 76/77
2. Against Essendon round 2 1979 at Windy Hill.
Both absolute Speckies , mind you he took one every week.

He was the greatest ever bar none.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I'd say Robert Harvey is the best player I've personally seen, and I still think the only player I've seen able to turn the tide of a game completely on his own.

But I've only been watching football since 1993, so "greatest ever" is not really possible for me to answer.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Tim Elliott for me.

Banger by a long way :lol:

The three B's Are up there though Banger,Barker,Baldock.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the question i would like to know where does some one like Roo fit in this mix ? hes still younge and hes already eqalled the most B/F wins could very well be our second premiership captain ? he gets a bad rap because he is a tad standoffish in person and he may never live down his teary moments at the gabba but he is an out and out champ of the game and you would have to say one of our greatest

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
LennyBoy
Club Player

Cayden Beetham :wink:

Can't split Barker and Harvey.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

who is the greatest player to have played for st kilda?

to be honest, I'd have to say lockett. greatest player i've seen play for anyone.

who is the greatest st kilda player?

probably robert harvey.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i kind of look forward to pre grand finals that 20 minutes where they show the greatest marks of all time.

winmar used to ahve about 5 barker about 5 with a couple from plugger, buckets and one from dale kickett amongst the greatest marks.

Winmar when he rose for the ball looked certain, focused, and powerful, he just rose like an eagle, grabbed the ball with surety and brought it down.

barkers seem more brilliant because he threw himself at the ball like a rag doll, he seemed to float in the air like a paper plane, grab the ball and bounce when he hit the ground.

imagine fiora's mark this year, double the height off the ground, and add three people belting him on the way up and on the way down, and that would be my memory of barker going for a mark.

it seemed the ball pulled barker towards it, while with nicky he pulled the ball towards himself.

and when he ran with the ball, again it seemed the ball was pulling him forward, it was a like watching water move, while winmar, he was like a lion prowling the wings.

two guys who did about the same thing, and two different way so of achieving it.

IMO if barker came to play now some idiot wouldn't pick him because he was too skinny, too injury prone, not tall enough for a KPP and lacked focus. :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:Yes, Greatest & Best can be two very different things;

Greatest = Harvey, just ahead of Barker

Best = Lockett, by a long way

!!
well put.. sums up my thoughts exactly.. thats why i voted for Harv's. Theres a difference between being a great player, and a great player for a club..