To those anti-Frankston folk...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

To those anti-Frankston folk...

For those of you who consider themselves part of an elitist community beyond reproach....... yet have the "unfortunate disposition" of supporting a football club who are all of a sudden based in a developing outer Southern suburb, I am quite happy to followup with a futher conversation....

Having taken the time to review much of the feedback posted on here today, there's clearly a stigmatism to the Saints aligning themsevles with the developing parts or Melbourne (as we did in the 60's wth much success)

All I can say is the following..... for those of you who can answer "Yes" to any of the following criteria.... bugger off from denigrating our new training base...try going to support the Dees, and spending your winters in the Alps.....

- Were you brought up with a silver spoon in your mouth?
- Were you afforded the opportunity of living at home and saving your lunch money till you late-20's?
- Have you avoided being divorced and ripped off by your ex?
- (Can you answer 'no' to this question?) Do you avoid any part of the following scenarios...... Do you understand what it means to be married, with child (children), on 1-income, under 30, not collecting any sort of government funded assitance, with a home loan?

What I'm tryin to get at (perhaps poorly..... but hey... I live in nearby Frankston... I fix Printers... and earn $32K per year)... or so you "Professionals" would like to pidgeon hole us as".......... is....

quit your 'up yourself views' people...... just because I don't live in Hawthorn (B4E)... doesn't mean I'm inferior to you....

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
hobbo
Club Player

well put :)

Broodruff
Club Player

Agreed and well put.

While Frankston isn't my favourite place in the world, I have no problem with the people there, or the club deciding to re-locate there.

Think about it, all of you, I'm sure you have one friend of family member who lives in a less than glamorous suburb or area, how would they feel if you were talking down an area similar to theirs?

Not all of us are well off enough to live in big houses high up on the hills with sprawling green front yards, talking down to those doing it tough hardly proves you a better person.

And for those anti-frankston simply because of the move:
someone said it best in another thread, apologies because I can't remember who said it:
Some people are afraid of change, but it is change that we need

brewski
Club Player

Re: To those anti-Frankston folk...

Seaford_Saint wrote:For those of you who consider themselves part of an elitist community beyond reproach....... yet have the "unfortunate disposition" of supporting a football club who are all of a sudden based in a developing outer Southern suburb, I am quite happy to followup with a futher conversation....

Having taken the time to review much of the feedback posted on here today, there's clearly a stigmatism to the Saints aligning themsevles with the developing parts or Melbourne (as we did in the 60's wth much success)

All I can say is the following..... for those of you who can answer "Yes" to any of the following criteria.... bugger off from denigrating our new training base...try going to support the Dees, and spending your winters in the Alps.....

- Were you afforded the opportunity of living at home and saving your lunch money till you late-20's?
- (Can you answer 'no' to this question?) Do you avoid any part of the following scenarios...... Do you understand what it means to be married, with child (children), on 1-income, under 30, not collecting any sort of government funded assitance, with a home loan?

What I'm tryin to get at (perhaps poorly..... but hey... I live in nearby Frankston... I fix Printers... and earn $32K per year)... or so you "Professionals" would like to pidgeon hole us as".......... is....

quit your 'up yourself views' people...... just because I don't live in Hawthorn (B4E)... doesn't mean I'm inferior to you....

Do you guys think you have the monopoly on poverty or something, just because we are from the city doesn't mean we are elitist, we have suburbs that make the pines look reasonably flash and there still is a good proportion of the city community that are on 32k pa or below, kids in tow and still doing the mortgage thing

I think the point is all about our identity, when we moved to moorabbin it was only about 10km away and still had links to the St Kilda community but frankston is 50km+ from the city how can we realistically keep the StKilda name going into the future - people on here have mentioned Hawthorn and Collingwood have retained their suburb names...ok Collingwood really only moved a couple of suburbs away and have big enough brand not to lose their identity but my mates and I are already referring to the Hawthorn as Tassie and will only be a matter of time before their name dies off.

St Kilda has members all over Melbourne that have stuck fat for many lean years, i think the deal the club has got is a great one but i think with most of the board being based way out it has driven their decision and think we could have probably got a great deal from a number of locations that were closer to StKilda...... i know i sound like a broken down record but it would have been nice to see all the proposed sites/deals on the table and at least give the members some input

At the very least we need to keep some identity in the StKilda area maybe like they say buy a pub in the area and base the social club there and maybe add a club shop for Merchandise sales etc.

Banned by the censors
karnak
Club Player

Once again the need to have some form of social club in St Kilda.

Also if we keep the lease at Moorabbin with the current 83 pokies or whatever, then surely it is turning a profit????

Has anyone got the financial figures on the Moorabbin lease and how much the actual building is generating at the moment? Cause if that is profitable it will stay.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Frankston is actually about 35km from the City Centre!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
fefs
Club Player

not sure what map you guys are using but it's 43Km by road, centre to centre

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

It could be worse.

We could have moved to Moe.

GrumpyOne

rodgerfox wrote:It could be worse.

We could have moved to Moe.
Then Larry and Curly Joe would have objected.

bozza1980
Club Player

Maybe I am biased having grown up on the Mornington Peninsula, but I don't see how this move is anything but positive for the future growth of the St Kilda Football Club.

The Peninsula has high density of St Kilda supporters, it is a growing population and is keen to invest heavilly to ensure that we have state of the art facilities at our disposal.

Maybe I am naive but I am unsure why having a training base in outlying suburb will affect the clubs title. We have been based at Moorabbin for 40+ years without changing our title, why will it be different now that we are in Frankston.

The club has flirted with the idea of changing it's name in the past. In the original move to Moorabbin it was accepted that within 10 years the club would become the Moorabbin Saints. Then again in the late 70's early 80's there was a push for the club to become the Southern Saints. These moves fell over because the supporters did not want it!! This would be the case again if the club flirted with the idea again.

Yesterday was a good day for the club. A new community with strong support for our club, invested heavilly in our future to create what will be a strong partnership. What a pity the city of Kingston didn't have the same desire to retain what our club brings to their community.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:For those of you who consider themselves part of an elitist community beyond reproach....... yet have the "unfortunate disposition" of supporting a football club who are all of a sudden based in a developing outer Southern suburb, I am quite happy to followup with a futher conversation....

thumbs up mate..... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

excellent post Seaford Saint - whilst you're having a go at a person like me, as I would answer all your questions the wrong way, I take zero offence, as I feel it's in the best interests for our club - plus building in a developing area = massive opportunity to grow with the area.

If it helps the Saints, helps the local community, then isn't that what it's all about, silver spoon or not???

If you don't like Frankston, then don't go there and watch training.

As far as I know, we will still be playing home games at TD for the next 5 years regardless!
Last edited by saintspremiers on Fri 23 Nov 2007 12:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beekay
SS Life Member

I don't really like Frankston, and I do think it has more than its fair share of dropkicks.

I'm not calling some bloke who cuts lawns and works hard a dropkick. I'm calling the street scum, baby bonus loving teenagers, non-contributers, etc, dropkicks.

I don't like Frankston. In fact, I will say it, I actually hate the place.

I don't come from a rich, posh family. I don't think I am better than anyone because of where they live.

But I think Frankston is a shite hole, and it is my God given right to think that. 8-)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

look I don't think its the best outcome, but its an outcome, we have to move forward.

some fans will be burnt off, and thats dissapointing.

over the past 2 decades saints have had to put up with a lot.

we are now based at 3 locations, moorabbin, frankston and TD.

IMO its not the best solution, but its one we will have to work through.

on field success will decide how we move through this.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saint-Nick
Club Player

When I immigrated to Australia, I lived in Elwood. I didn't like the vibe, and chose something close to the beach - St Kilda became my home (on Jackson Street, right behind the corner of Fitzroy and Acland).

My cat got sick and was trying to eat my houseplants. I realised he wanted grass. With no grass on my property, I walked down the street, in a poor attempt to pick some grass from a neighbour's lawn for him. When I realised that my street had NO GRASS at all, I told my (Aussie husband), "That's it! We're moving!"

When looking for a new place, a girl I worked with asked me a few questions about what I was looking for and then suggested Frankston. Ends up, Frankston is Melbourne's best kept secret.

Having absolutely no prejudice, coming from Canada, I decided to look around Frankston for a home. When I told my (Hawks supporting) husband that I wanted to live in Frankston, he looked at me with a crooked look on his face. "FRANKSTON?!" Yes, Frankston.

We've been here for three years and are amazingly content with our choice. He takes the train to work in the CBD. I drive the car to Narre Warren every day. And life is good.

The worse thing about Frankston these days is the stigma left from eons gone by. Things have changed. Have you visited Frankston lately? If not, now's a great time. We have a festival going on this Saturday, November 24th. Get yourselves to the corner of Davey and Young Streets (one block from the footy oval) and celebrate with us.

The best thing about the Saints moving? I can see the footy oval from my bedroom window.

Bless! All good things come to those who wait.
________
WIKI VAPORIZER
Last edited by Saint-Nick on Sat 26 Feb 2011 10:40am, edited 1 time in total.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the frankston festival...i went last year wasn't it exciting. just got back from schoolies and thought it was another good excuse to piss up. i was wrong!

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Sounds great for you Saint-Nick :)

Hopefully the club going there will rid the area of any remains of the stigma associated with Frankston from 20 years ago.

Actually, up until the 1940's, Frankston used to be the premier resort town in Melbourne. It was where all the rich and famous went for their holidays (this is in the days before flying) and was very much a part of the "establishment".

Funny how things go in circles.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Saint-Nick
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:the frankston festival...i went last year wasn't it exciting. just got back from schoolies and thought it was another good excuse to piss up. i was wrong!
Gold Coast.... You know what? These days, I'd prefer my team not being mentioned in the same breath as 'Gold Coast' thanks! LOL

I take it you didn't enjoy yourself? Please explain. :D

If you can't have a wonderful time in Frankston, you can't have a wonderful time.
________
ANGER MANAGEMENT ADVICE
Last edited by Saint-Nick on Sat 26 Feb 2011 10:41am, edited 1 time in total.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Saint-Nick wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:the frankston festival...i went last year wasn't it exciting. just got back from schoolies and thought it was another good excuse to piss up. i was wrong!
Gold Coast.... You know what? These days, I'd prefer my team not being mentioned in the same breath as 'Gold Coast' thanks! LOL

I take it you didn't enjoy yourself? Please explain. :D

If you can't have a wonderful time in Frankston, you can't have a wonderful time.
i live in frankston and have had many a great time. the festival was full of children dooley's age and their parents. no excitement for my age demographic.

Saint-Nick
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:i live in frankston and have had many a great time. the festival was full of children dooley's age and their parents. no excitement for my age demographic.
Point taken.

On the other side of the coin, that may be the best advertisement for Frankston yet!

:D
________
Vaporizer Review
Last edited by Saint-Nick on Sun 13 Mar 2011 2:35am, edited 1 time in total.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

from a saits perspective, yes. but to entice me to attend that garbage festival again this year no.

i suppose i could just head to the beach and sink a 6 pack :wink:
Last edited by fonz_#15 on Thu 22 Nov 2007 12:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint-Nick
Club Player

fonz_#15 wrote:from a saits perspective, yes. but to entice me to attend that garbage festival again this year no.

i suppose i could just head to the beach and sink a 6 pick :wink:
Enjoy - might see you there! :wink:
________
METHADONE REHAB ADVICE
Last edited by Saint-Nick on Sat 26 Feb 2011 10:41am, edited 1 time in total.

The Peanut
Club Player

It appears that the Social Club and Pokies will stay at Moorabbin - the current lease is for 40 years - it's early days yet but I wouldn't be surprised if the Moorabbin oval is used on occasions in the future too, especially since the club has spent so much money on its surface.

What I am trying to say is - Inner Melbourne fans don't need to get their nickers in a knot over the move - when you are as old as me you realise that things will pan out as time goes on. Of course that doesn't mean that things will happen if we just sit back when we have ideas for improvement and don't voice them. This move appears to be done and dusted though.

It sounds like a great deal for the club and at least we can slowly get our heads around the considerably substantial changes made in the history of the club in many ways, as well as the new location of our training facilities.

What really matters now is premierships which pretty-well provides everything else associated with the long term strength of the club - and my sanity. :wink:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Frankston gets a pretty tough wrap but from the times I've been there it is a nice clean place, you get a few bogans but they're mostly harmless, I was hoping that they would go to Casey for selfish reasons but trust me the folk you get down that area are WAY worse... I would say Cranbourne is quite a bit behind Frankston in terms of quality and safety but atleast we didn't move to somewher like Hampton Park or Noble Park....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&hl=e ... 5&z=9&om=1
How to get there- no water crossings needed.

Moorabbin VIC 3189

Drive: 26.4 km – about 38 mins
26.4 km – about 38 mins
1. Head southeast on Perry St toward Nepean Highway Service Ln 0.3 m
2. Turn left at Nepean Hwy 25.0 km 36 mins
3. Turn left at Davey St 0.2 km
4. Turn right at Young St 0.3 km 1 min
5. Slight left at Kars St 0.4 km9 FRankston Park is at start of Kars st.
1 min

To: Kars St
Frankston VIC 3199

FROM Docklands

Docklands VIC 3008

Drive: 54.9 km – about 1 hour 5 mins
54.9 km – about 1 hour 5 mins
1. Head south on Harbour Esplanade toward Bourke St W 58 m
2. Turn left at Bourke St 0.4 km 2 mins
3. Turn right at Docklands Hwy 1.1 km 2 mins
4. Take the ramp onto W Gate Fwy 1.4 km 2 mins
5. Continue on Burnley Tunnel 3.7 km 3 mins
6. Slight right at Citylink 3.7 km 3 mins
7. Continue on Monash Fwy 13.0 km 10 mins
8. Exit onto Ferntree Gully Rd 1.2 km 2 mins
9. Turn right at Springvale Rd 13.7 km 25 mins
10. Slight left at Mornington Peninsula Fwy 7.0 km 5 mins
11. Continue on Frankston Fwy 7.1 km 5 mins
12. Continue on Moorooduc Hwy 1.0 km 2 mins
13. Turn right at Hastings Rd 0.1 km
14. Turn left at Foot St 0.2 km
15. Turn right at Williams St 0.9 km 2 mins
16. Turn left at Bell St 0.1 km
17. Turn right at Denbigh St 0.2 km

Frankston VIC 3199

AVOIDING FREEWAYS

Docklands VIC 3008

Drive: 43.8 km – about 1 hour 14 mins

1. Head north on Harbour Esplanade toward Central Pier 0.4 km
2. Turn right at La Trobe St 0.8 km 3 mins
3. Turn right at King St 0.9 km 2 mins
4. Continue on Kings Way 2.3 km 5 mins
5. Continue on Queens Rd 2.0 km 3 mins
6. Turn left at Union St 0.4 km 2 mins
7. Turn right at Punt Rd 0.3 km 1 min
8. Slight left at St Kilda Rd 1.3 km 3 mins
9. Continue on Brighton Rd 1.9 km 4 mins
10. Slight left at Nepean Hwy 32.4 km 47 mins
11. Turn left at Davey St 0.2 km
12. Turn right at Young St 0.3 km 1 min
13. Slight left at Kars St 0.4 km 1 min

Or do what I do Head for the Beach rd be it Beaconsfield, Marine or Beach rd may only be 60 Km per hour
but less turning traffic and you can enjoy the view as you go- stop at brighton for a coffee- maybe even head via Aspendale Gardens to Fraser's joint for a meal.
Last edited by saintbrat on Thu 22 Nov 2007 4:01pm, edited 2 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107