Thomas, Saints in stalemate over payment dispute

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

my les foote
Club Player

Thomas, Saints in stalemate over payment dispute

Stephen Rielly | December 20, 2007 "The Age"

HE HAS been gone for more than 12 months but it will be some time yet before St Kilda and Grant Thomas disentangle themselves.

Notwithstanding the change of leadership that occurred at Moorabbin in October, the terms of the divorce between the former coach and club remain contested, with two recent attempts by the board of new president Greg Westaway to resolve the dispute failing.

It is understood the Saints offered Thomas approximately $100,000 two weeks ago to settle his claim against the club; a two-part writ asking for a total of $276,000 which was served in September.

The approach, which was rebuffed, is believed to have been made on the club's behalf by former director and player Michael Nettlefold who has made a return to Moorabbin and may yet rejoin the board.

Yesterday morning, a further attempt to settle the claim and finally turn the page on a controversial period in the club's history failed, when representatives of both parties were brought together but parted without a deal.

The writ, which was served on the then St Kilda administration of Rod Butterss on September 5, includes a demand for $100,000 that Thomas claims was promised to him upon his sacking in 2006 on the condition that he did not criticise the club or anyone representing it.

The $100,000 settlement, which was meant to be paid last March, was allegedly offered by Butterss, then football director Mark Kellett and chief executive Archie Fraser, who remains with the club.

A further $167,000 is being sought for what Thomas has claimed are annual leave and public holiday entitlements, although the former coach signed a statutory declaration while he was still at the club which stated he had taken all the annual leave he was owed. Thomas has since claimed that he was pressured to sign that declaration.

Thomas said at the time of his unexpected departure almost 15 months ago that he could never hurt St Kilda and vowed to maintain a dignified silence but the Butterss board argued that he failed to honoUr this promise and engaged lawyer Nick Stretch to defend its decision to withhold the money.

On one occasion, Butterss publicly accused Thomas of attempting to undermine the club through a whispering campaign against members of the board and said the ex-coach had sought to interfere in the affairs of a number of players.

The then president, who spectacularly fell out with the coach in 2005 and later pursued the return of more than $1 million he personally loaned to him in 2001, was then ousted himself by Westaway and his Footy First ticket, who are understood to have allocated funds for a settlement with Thomas in the 2007 accounts.

St Kilda would not comment yesterday and Thomas could not be contacted.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 82305.html

Win it for HIM!
Huzzad
Club Player

Read this a few minutes ago and was dissapoitned to hear that this is still not resolved. For goodness sake Thomas, you are not homeless. Sell your $1million dollar house, get one you can actually afford and stop draining money away from the club. True men cop it on the chin and move on. Things end badly, get over it. I'm sure you make enough from the media now.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Snakeman66
Club Player

Huzzad wrote:............... Sell your $1million dollar house, .........
Would guess probably closer to $3Mill.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
mischa
Club Player

That article sounds like a word for word copy of the crap written on here :roll: :roll: :roll: No bias there :roll: No wonder they're a major sponsor! At least RL has nothing to fear from 'The Age'!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

* Gets on his knees and says a silent prayer of hope that b4e's internet access is down *

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
snippa
Club Player

I used to respect ths bloke, but now it seems he shows his true colours.

FFS, he's been offered 100K for nothing more than refraining from criticism of the club. A 100K golden handshake. 100k of the clubs funds that I and many other people has contributed to...most of us not living in Brighton.

I am very disappointed and whilst he may be twice my size, if I saw him in the street, I would have no hesitation in telling him so.

St.Kilda person indeed :roll:

I am the king of the divan
saintly
Saintsational Legend

what i don't understand, is why is he disputing the $167k. he signed an agreement saying he got paid for it all. now he says he was coerced into signing. How will that be proved? one person's word against another. i wish he would go away!

the one good thing was stkilda's comment

" no comment"
Last edited by saintly on Thu 20 Dec 2007 11:11am, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
the one good thing was stkilda's comment

" no comment"
Bingo.

Best thing I've read in a while.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:That article sounds like a word for word copy of the crap written on here :roll: :roll: :roll: No bias there :roll: No wonder they're a major sponsor! At least RL has nothing to fear from 'The Age'!
just maybe there is some truth in that crap.

saint4life
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Thomas is starting to annoy me now and the graceful exit appears to be just a charade.

He says he signed the stat dec under pressure.

I thought he ate pressure for breakfast. :shock:

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Settle now Thomo for your $100K and be done with it.

I agree with Selhurst Saint. Grant Thomas 'pressured' into signing? Grant Thomas would be pressured into nothing at any time. Never. Nup. Not a chance.

Take your $100K (stupidly agreed by RB, MK & AF by the way) and go. Go now.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Settle now Thomo for your $100K and be done with it.

I agree with Selhurst Saint. Grant Thomas 'pressured' into signing? Grant Thomas would be pressured into nothing at any time. Never. Nup. Not a chance.

Take your $100K (stupidly agreed by RB, MK & AF by the way) and go. Go now.
Agreed, would be good to pay the "great St.Kilda man" :roll: the $100k and ask the clown to never darken the door again.

A leach and parasite just like Peter Everitt.

true Colours have been shown by this bloke and they aint red, white, and black.

$267k straight out of the paying members pockets.

Yup would never harm the Saints - pfft :roll:

What a sham

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints94
SS Life Member

He might be still pissed-off

with Bakes for going out with

his daughter LOL

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:Thomas is starting to annoy me now and the graceful exit appears to be just a charade.

I thought he ate pressure for breakfast.
:shock:
:lol: :lol:

Thomas got PWND.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote:Thomas is starting to annoy me now and the graceful exit appears to be just a charade.

It was Rod Butterss that made the statement that Thomas 'ate pressure for breakfast'.

Saints94
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:

It was Rod Butterss that made the statement that Thomas 'ate pressure for breakfast'.
I remember an article about Ross Lyon before our rd 6 match saying " Grant Thomas eats Presure for breakfast, guess what Ross Lyon does to"

Bevan Shorluey
Club Player

Huzzad wrote:Read this a few minutes ago and was dissapoitned to hear that this is still not resolved. For goodness sake Thomas, you are not homeless. Sell your $1million dollar house, get one you can actually afford and stop draining money away from the club. True men cop it on the chin and move on. Things end badly, get over it. I'm sure you make enough from the media now.
Is that what you'd do if your employer shafted you and held onto your entitlements?

JeffDunne

joffaboy wrote:A leach and parasite just like Peter Everitt.
Big difference.

One chose to leave, one was sacked.

TBH, given GT had a contract in place and the circumstances under which he was sacked, his claim is probably modest compared to what he could be entitled.

It's no suprise he didn't accept just the 100K since that amount seems to be held over from what he was already owed. The club should have paid him the amount there and then and severed all ties. This BS agreement simply clouded what should have been a straight forward settlement.

savatage
SS Life Member

Once an arsehole, always an arsehole.

Saints94
SS Life Member

savatage wrote:Once an arsehole, always an arsehole.
He was once our coach, a decent one

savatage
SS Life Member

homework wrote:
You can keep him champ!

snippa
Club Player

homework wrote:
Not too decent now.......

Go away Grant

I am the king of the divan
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:
Doesn't mean he wasn't an arsehole though. Or still isn't.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Bevan Shorluey wrote:
Huzzad wrote:Read this a few minutes ago and was dissapoitned to hear that this is still not resolved. For goodness sake Thomas, you are not homeless. Sell your $1million dollar house, get one you can actually afford and stop draining money away from the club. True men cop it on the chin and move on. Things end badly, get over it. I'm sure you make enough from the media now.
Is that what you'd do if your employer shafted you and held onto your entitlements?
if i signed a declaration saying i got payed the monies owed i would

seriously its money grubbing at its worst , and without making my self sound like B4E its a absoulute slap in the face to all the st kilda players who took only a % of their wages while we were in the hole of almost bankrupty who still today havent recived their full payments

Grant Thomas you serioulsy are making the suporters of the club you say you love hate you .

pay the bastard off then errect a sign with his face on it saying "NOT WELCOME ANYMORE"

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
savatage
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Bevan Shorluey wrote:
if i signed a declaration saying i got payed the monies owed i would

seriously its money grubbing at its worst , and without making my self sound like B4E its a absoulute slap in the face to all the st kilda players who took only a % of their wages while we were in the hole of almost bankrupty who still today havent recived their full payments

Grant Thomas you serioulsy are making the suporters of the club you say you love hate you .

pay the bastard off then errect a sign with his face on it saying "NOT WELCOME ANYMORE"
Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep.

If he's so desperate for money, he should've hung onto his Age "writer's" job. $1,000 a week that he arrogantly said he didn't need.