Earth Hour - Implications for Round 2 St.Kilda vs. Carltank

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Earth Hour - Implications for Round 2 St.Kilda vs. Carltank

In case you haven't read about it, on Saturday, 29 March at 8pm everyone in Melbourne plus heaps of other cities around the world (when it's 8pm their time!), are meant to switch off all our lights and save some power for the environment clap trap thingy.

Anyway, given footy is all very PC nowadays, I assume this will apply to Telstra Dome, and half way through the second term (at 8pm), a siren will go , the lights will go off for an hour, and the game will then resume again at 9pm.

Come on Demetriou - show some real leadership and make sure this happens :D :) :( :o :shock: :? :evil: :idea: :roll:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Peanut
Club Player

No
Mr Dome head said no - re security and some other feable excuse.

Edit: But it does make some sense - The Dome will glow as an icon to everyone that missed the match. :wink:
Last edited by The Peanut on Wed 19 Mar 2008 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Is all a scare campaign anyway. :roll:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Should be played during the day anyway and save the planet that way :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
JeffDunne

The game will be over as a contest by then anyhow.

Maybe we could bring in the mercy rule, switch off the lights and end the game then? Sure the % would be nice but I wouldn't want to risk any players having to warm up again.

Saves the environment, saves Carlton from total humiliation and saves us having to listen to Carlton fans whinge about the treatment Murphy is getting for another half of football.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Earth Hour - Implications for Round 2 St.Kilda vs. Carlt

saintspremiers wrote:In case you haven't read about it, on Saturday, 29 March at 8pm everyone in Melbourne plus heaps of other cities around the world (when it's 8pm their time!), are meant to switch off all our lights and save some power for the environment clap trap thingy.

Anyway, given footy is all very PC nowadays, I assume this will apply to Telstra Dome, and half way through the second term (at 8pm), a siren will go , the lights will go off for an hour, and the game will then resume again at 9pm.

Come on Demetriou - show some real leadership and make sure this happens :D :) :( :o :shock: :? :evil: :idea: :roll:

I bet that specific time is convenient for all those other people around the globe....whereas because of a time difference, it is extremely inconvenient for us in Australia.

I would be disgusted if the AFL even attempted anything like that.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:Is all a scare campaign anyway. :roll:
ever read the stern report? It's fine to argue over whether this will be an effective approach but a silly off the cuff response suggesting it's a scare campaign is a little silly.

Lets say at worst its a 50/50 chance (very conservative according to the research done on climate change), logic would dictate that dealing with the situation and having it turn out wrong is better then doing nothing and finding out that it is going to happen.

Anyway, enough of the rant

TD did say they would buy green energy to run the stadium that night, which is a sensible middle ground IMO. Would be great if Origin came on board and encouraged people to turn to green energy.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
ever read the stern report? It's fine to argue over whether this will be an effective approach but a silly off the cuff response suggesting it's a scare campaign is a little silly.

Lets say at worst its a 50/50 chance (very conservative according to the research done on climate change), logic would dictate that dealing with the situation and having it turn out wrong is better then doing nothing and finding out that it is going to happen.

TD did say they would buy green energy to run the stadium that night, which is a sensible middle ground IMO. Would be great if Origin came on board and encouraged people to turn to green energy.
pfffft, looks like the scare campaign is working on some......

;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Solar wrote:

;)
what is it scaring me into doing? Not consuming things, walking or catch the train insteed of paying top dollar on eptrol :roll:

Please explain to me how this is a scare campaign. Most scare campaigns have been used to either vote for a certain political party or buy goods or services that are not needed.

It's interesting to note that the ones really jumping up and down about this are not the environmentalists but the business council and insurance companies. They both know they will be hardest hit if we do not change from a high carbon society to a low carbon society....

oh and economically it makes sense as well, productivity gains always come about through the reduction of energy or consumption.

(btw if it's tongue in cheek, it's jokes like that which tend to push the majority into not thinking)

FQF
In richo I trust

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
Solar wrote:

;)
what is it scaring me into doing? Not consuming things, walking or catch the train insteed of paying top dollar on eptrol :roll:

Please explain to me how this is a scare campaign. Most scare campaigns have been used to either vote for a certain political party or buy goods or services that are not needed.

It's interesting to note that the ones really jumping up and down about this are not the environmentalists but the business council and insurance companies. They both know they will be hardest hit if we do not change from a high carbon society to a low carbon society....

oh and economically it makes sense as well, productivity gains always come about through the reduction of energy or consumption.

(btw if it's tongue in cheek, it's jokes like that which tend to push the majority into not thinking)
i think you've hit it right on the head there

and how much does a litre of eptrol go for these days? ;)

Russman
Club Player

I think this game is a bye anyway :lol:

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Solar wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
Solar wrote:

;)

i think you've hit it right on the head there

and how much does a litre of eptrol go for these days? ;)
Huh? mate you have lost me, where does climate policies encourage higher usage of oil..... hmmm

btw the real question is how much economic distruction does a litre of petrol cost us as a community? We lost half of our park so that idiots at the end of the freeway can make a gridlock somewhere else. Pollution problems causing asthma has been showed to be costing us millions. Building roads despite leading research that shows they actually add cars to the build up, not decrease them.

Scare campaign... no, just playing the odds. Reduce your carbon output and it will be cheaper for yourself, the community and create more productivity. Plus it means we don't even have to worry whether climate scienctists are right or not.

You want to know the biggest scare campaign, the scare campaign that the world will fall apart if all of us cut our car trips by 20%, turned off the lights in buildings when we don't use them and stop buying the second plasma TV. Now thats a scare campaign!

FQF
In richo I trust

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:Huh? mate you have lost me, where does climate policies encourage higher usage of oil..... hmmm

btw the real question is how much economic distruction does a litre of petrol cost us as a community? We lost half of our park so that idiots at the end of the freeway can make a gridlock somewhere else. Pollution problems causing asthma has been showed to be costing us millions. Building roads despite leading research that shows they actually add cars to the build up, not decrease them.

Scare campaign... no, just playing the odds. Reduce your carbon output and it will be cheaper for yourself, the community and create more productivity. Plus it means we don't even have to worry whether climate scienctists are right or not.

You want to know the biggest scare campaign, the scare campaign that the world will fall apart if all of us cut our car trips by 20%, turned off the lights in buildings when we don't use them and stop buying the second plasma TV. Now thats a scare campaign!
scare campaign, as in - telling the public that half of Sydney will be under water in 50 years unless we do useless things such as turning off all our lights for an hour :roll:

i'm not saying its not gonna happen, just that it is no where near as bad as we are being lead to believe by those who will benifit from our gullibility

China opens something like 1 new coal power plant every 5 days - theres your problem

Solar
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Solar wrote:Huh? mate you have lost me, where does climate policies encourage higher usage of oil..... hmmm

scare campaign, as in - telling the public that half of Sydney will be under water in 50 years unless we do useless things such as turning off all our lights for an hour :roll:

i'm not saying its not gonna happen, just that it is no where near as bad as we are being lead to believe by those who will benifit from our gullibility

China opens something like 1 new coal power plant every 5 days - theres your problem
agreed, but it will still take the chinese years to catch up to the amount of carbon the western nations have pumped into the air. But it's hard to ask them to stop doing what they are doing when we lead the per person emissions world wide.

BTW the whole flooding of sydney is the very extreme end of it, in fact most climate scientists have no idea how it will effect our whether. But it's like deciding whether to cross a freeway at the lights/overpass or just go for it and hope you don't get hit.

Plus IMO the whole flooding up to luna park nonsense the likes of the herald scum went with is not only the very extreme end of it but it does not explained very well how climate change is and will effect our world. I would be more worried about desertification of our farm lands, heavy and prolonged drought (did you know that we had a similar drought in '44 but the difference is that the evaporation this time is majorly worse, the water when it comes is just not staying in the ground!), extremes with flooding, hot and cold. Changes in the ecosystems that we rely on for our fishing stocks.

Look I would love most climate scienctists to be wrong but do you get car insurance because you know you will be in a car accident or to cover your arse if it does actually happen one day.

IMO suggesting that it's a scare campaign lacks the insight into the issue.

FQF
In richo I trust

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Earth Hour - Implications for Round 2 St.Kilda vs. Carlt

saintspremiers wrote:In case you haven't read about it, on Saturday, 29 March at 8pm everyone in Melbourne plus heaps of other cities around the world (when it's 8pm their time!), are meant to switch off all our lights and save some power for the environment clap trap thingy.
I didn't know this was law...I thought that it was a choice.

Well, given that it is law, I assume that Origin will just cut my supply for that hour :roll:

I'll let you all know how that goes!

saintpaul74
Club Player

Is this like those emails that tell everyone not to buy petrol on Tuesday the XXth of XXXXXX to drive the oil economy into crisis mode so they will drop the price of petrol?

esaint66
SS Life Member

we shouldnt need to turn out the lights anyway w've served our time 96 v essendon remember.

my les foote
Club Player

Isn't this the game last year that Butterss wanted to have the light show as half time entertainment?

A man ahead of his time

Win it for HIM!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:scare campaign, as in - telling the public that half of Sydney will be under water in 50 years unless we do useless things such as turning off all our lights for an hour :roll:
so there are some good things that will happen due to climate change :D :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

its funny i heard a preson say the other day that this was the dryes summer since 1974 (i cant remember the exact year they said ) but it makes you think that all this doom and gloom talk about hot the counrty isand how its getting hotter and dryer cause the carbon gasses ect how do you explain how hot it was in 1974 ?

serioulsy we get adverts ove here in the west to turn our aircons off at 5pm to "beat the peak" but doesnt that just move the peak til and hr later ? and what the hell am i paying my power bill for if im getting told when i can and cant use it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/